• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drying clothes while walking

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
On my last camino I ran across a peregrino who had a mesh bag attached to his backpack. It's used to dry clothes while he was walking. It was ingenious. Just put the wet clothes in the bag then attach it to the backpack. After walking for a couple of hours, the clothes were totally dry. I asked him where he had bought it. I vaguely remember that he was from Australia. I live in the US and have been trying to look for it on Amazon, but no luck. Does anyone have information on this contraption? What is the bag called? Where can I get one? I'm going to Portugal April 1 to walk the Rota Vincentina and the CP. Bom Caminho.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just search "mesh stuff sack" on Amazon or generally to find them at gear shops. you should have several to choose from of various sizes and volumes. A friend I walked with on the Frances picked one up in one of the larger towns at the famous European gear store, memory fails me at the moment for the name, but many here will be able to come up with it. Those on Amazon (and my friend's) might have a normal stuff sack drawstring closure but she didn't use that. Instead, she used large safety pins to fasten it to her pack keeping it sort of flat. It did work. Good luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sometimes you can find them at Dollar Stores. I keep a small one in my pack and use it to put my socks and undies in when sharing a washing machine with others.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all of your responses. I do have mesh bags of different sizes. However, this peregrino's "bag" was made specifically to attach to backpacks with built in clips/hooks... Sort of like a cargo net for cars, except smaller (see photo). Worse come to worst, I will just sew a couple of rings/hooks to my mesh bag so I can attach it to the outside of my backpack to dry when I walk.Cargo Net Small.jpg

I've always used a big kilt pin for my damp washing . Works wonders with socks that are usually the last things to dry completely.
An after thought , I am sure I have seen the type of net bag you mention in bicycle shops , they are used to secure gear to the tops of saddle bags and handle bar packs

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my last camino I ran across a peregrino who had a mesh bag attached to his backpack. It's used to dry clothes while he was walking. It was ingenious. Just put the wet clothes in the bag then attach it to the backpack. After walking for a couple of hours, the clothes were totally dry. I asked him where he had bought it. I vaguely remember that he was from Australia. I live in the US and have been trying to look for it on Amazon, but no luck. Does anyone have information on this contraption? What is the bag called? Where can I get one? I'm going to Portugal April 1 to walk the Rota Vincentina and the CP. Bom Caminho.
If it’s the type of bag I am thinking it was you can get them

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I once met a pilgrim with a small drying rack sticking out from the FRONT of her pack. Looked funny but probably more effective than the laundry bag.

Last edited:

Buy Merino T shirts. They dry incredibly fast. $$$ but well worth it. Get a few different weights. Try Icebreaker.

Buy Merino T shirts. They dry incredibly fast. $$$ but well worth it. Get a few different weights. Try Icebreaker.

Does anybody know where to get discounted merino wool t-shirts? At the prices I'm seeing, "a few different weights" would cost more than a plane ticket!

I did see somebody once say that the Decathlon chain in Spain has good prices on merino undergarments. But I've not been brave enough to fly to Spain with no underwear. :)

I have, when necessary, worn wet clothes at the start of the day and within an hour, if not raining, they are dry and if it is raining then it doesn't matter if they are wet. :)

Also, if due to weather it looked as though your wet and washed clothes had no chance of drying outside, I either (if available) had the clothes washed and dried in machines (a few euro cost), or I just plain did not wash them, and wore them again the next day (except the underwear and socks). All my walking clothing are the lightweight tech type and they are made to work out and exercise in and not get gamey. Besides, on the days I couldn't wash and dry the clothes it was because it was cold and overcast. My shirts and shorts were hardly sweated in and my clothing (except socks and I carry several pair) never got muddy and actually physically dirty anyway ever while walking the Camino. I would say 90% of the time I dodged the muddy sections by simply going around them. I remember one section that was muddy, and there was a parallel blacktop road about 50 meters away, yet pilgrims still plodded through the mud. So odd. I took the road.

Great idea! Was planning to take my laundry bag for clothes washing but now it can have the extra job of drying clothes whilst hanging from my backpack. This will certainly justify its presence in my gear

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mesh bags are very lightweight and helpful to serve multiple purposes for walking caminos:

1. As an eco solar clothes dryer (la secadora)
2. As a day bag for shopping (bag with shoulder strap)
3. As an extension capacity for backpack of medium size

I have a mesh bag with shoulder strap never used for decades, but just fit for my 35L backpack. We may have unwanted mesh bags at home, search at home first n may find a suitable one. Good luck.

mai

I have, when necessary, worn wet clothes at the start of the day and within an hour, if not raining, they are dry and if it is raining then it doesn't matter if they are wet. :)

Don't mean to take this thread off topic, but when I walked the Vdlp with a Spanish army sargeant, he taught me that the best way to dry clothes is to put them on. Your body heat will dry them. Though putting on wet socks isn't too appealing when it is cold and rainy, I have done that and am happy to have a pair of dry socks to wear in the morning -- when everyone else's socks are wet and hanging on the line.

Good morning, after reading your post, I thought hey I did not think on this one as we are setting off May to do our first Camino I need to get something similar. I’ve attached a link below. Hope this is useful.
Lalang White Washing Clothes Bags Mesh Wash Laundry Bag for Washing Machines (XL)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take 3 pairs of socks. I do washing every day even in rainy weather but not always trousers. The next morning, if not raining, I nappy pin my socks (it’s always socks that don’t dry) to my backpack. Anything else that is still damp, which is rare, I put on and it dries quickly.
Just wait till you get three consecutive days of rain and the smell of damp pilgrim in albergues is an experience never to be forgotten.:p:p:p

Does anybody know where to get discounted merino wool t-shirts? At the prices I'm seeing, "a few different weights" would cost more than a plane ticket!

I did see somebody once say that the Decathlon chain in Spain has good prices on merino undergarments. But I've not been brave enough to fly to Spain with no underwear. :)

Hey PR:

I've become addicted to merino gear after initially balking at the prices when I first use the material years ago. Slowly I've converted half my t-shirts to merino, most of my socks, and all of my underwear. I'm not talking about just my Camino clothes but rather my entire day-to-day wardrobe.

My secret is to scan the main outdoor websites at the end of every season. With patience, I pick up a shirt here, a pair of underwear there, usually at 40-50% off. Sometimes, of course, there's nothing in my size. But bit-by-bit I've acquired quite a few pieces over the years.

Check out Backcountry.com, especially around various USA holidays when they have sales. Also, peek at the Icebreaker website at the end of each season. Now that VF Corp (owner of Smartwool) bought Icebreaker, we may be seeing more Icebreaker at REI, so I'd sniff around their site during holiday sales as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also Redfox outdoors has their own line of merino and I got some on a ridiculous sale last fall. I'm with Lucho...lots of my t's and leggings are merino and I just buy when it is on sale. It wears forever so what seems like pricey is really not at all.

They are sold at Target, Walmart and like stores. They are sold to put delicate clothes in the washer.

Adding this post to keep the conversational ball rolling.:) Some time ago watched one of those BBC science programs on TV that did some subjective research into the difference between technical exercise clothing and natural fibres. Think sniff test. I just hope the testers were well paid.:p The results were interesting. Artificial fibres were dryer ie. they wicked sweat as per all advertising claims. Natural fibres did not. But in terms of stink the opposite was true. Polyester smelt worse than cotton. And they didn’t even test lycra! :p:p:p
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...orts-clothes-from-natural-or-synthetic-fabric

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And to respectfully continue playing devil’s advocate...are the claims about merino gear universally true? Keep in mind that some people just aren’t very smelly. For instance research has shown that folks with dry ear wax don’t have BO and don’t need to use deodorant. For sure wool adsorbs/wicks moisture and stays warm even when wet. It is a truly amazing fibre. However, I still have doubts about the claims that it doesn’t smell? And it certainly pills. The only tshirt that I spent way too much money on from that well known NZ brand pilled the first time I wore it.
Happy to be convinced that I’m wrong. :)

Yes, my husband carried one on our Camino Frances. It was very useful. We bought it at Walmart, in the US. It’s one of Those we use to laundry delicates.

My local dollar store sells these for $1.49. I use these bags for packing instead of the usual nylon packing bags. They naturally squish down in your pack and are QUIET - a great bonus. Of course they don't keep things dry in case of wet weather, but lining the pack with a garbage bag,using a pack cover, and a poncho are ways to keep things dry in your pack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And to respectfully continue playing devil’s advocate...are the claims about merino gear universally true? Keep in mind that some people just aren’t very smelly. For instance research has shown that folks with dry ear wax don’t have BO and don’t need to use deodorant. For sure wool adsorbs/wicks moisture and stays warm even when wet. It is a truly amazing fibre. However, I still have doubts about the claims that it doesn’t smell? And it certainly pills. The only tshirt that I spent way too much money on from that well known NZ brand pilled the first time I wore it.
Happy to be convinced that I’m wrong. :)

I don't have any hard data to point to, but I can anecdotally say that I tend be a stinky guy when I sweat and I notice a huge difference.

Spent nearly a year-and-a-half traveling abroad and brought four merino t-shirts. Bought a polyester one along the way: it dries as quickly but "holds the stink". I also bought two cotton shirts along the way: they gather stink the fastest. The thing with cotton is that it keeps stink until you wash it, whereas with my merino shirts if one starts to get stinky I can just not wear it for a day or two and the stink seems to go away, or at least 90%.

That's my experience.

Drying clothes...no problem when you have a willing friend!View attachment 39180

Good idea! One still can dry clothes if no willing friend around.....by using a trekking pole. I realize now why so many pilgrims suggest to take 2 trekking poles: 1 for walking 1 for hanging clothes.

Unless you walk in the colder months I'd not worry too much about it. I've often forgotten my laundry and left it out all night ending up with morning dew treated gear. Just put on and off u go, will be dry in no time ( until wet from the exertions of the day later on).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.