• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drying laundry while walking

Rob the Slob

A slob
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid to Santiago (May 2016)
What's the best way to dry wet laundry while you're walking? Simply tie it to your pack and hope it doesn't fall off, and that the knots dry properly too? Use mesh stuff sacks? Socks on the handles of your hiking poles, underwear on your head?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What's the best way to dry wet laundry while you're walking? Simply tie it to your pack and hope it doesn't fall off, and that the knots dry properly too? Use mesh stuff sacks? Socks on the handles of your hiking poles, underwear on your head?
Ordinary Clothes pegs works for me. Essentials like socks and underwear... I MUST have a clean change every morning. So if its sunny and you want to wash in the morning, clip them on to the backpack with clothes pegs and before you make it to your next "cafe" (the Oasis in my language for when I'm walking...) your clothes are very likely to be bone dry. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree w Kanga, large safety pins (cute ones with ducks are tempting but weigh more...). If there is something you absolutely must have a change of (for me that's socks and underwear) my advice is take at least 3 pairs, especially if your path/time of year isn't ALWAYS hot/sunny. It snowed on me (or sleet) until Pamplona, then rained all day every day until Estella. There I transitioned to the Norte, where it rained pretty much all day every day until I reached the Primitivo. Albergues were cold and damp, and drying space near any heat source often found my socks 'displaced' by other pilgrims who felt more entitled (perhaps they were :)...although odd when they were pinned to the foot of my sleeping bag on my bunk ).

I hung stuff on my pack under the rain cover, hung it up for the second time at my next stop, etc. Sometimes shirts were still damp. And these were fast drying light weight tech gear. When all else failed, I used a hair dryer on my socks (I draw the line at wearing damp socks). Long story short, sometimes an extra pair or two of something is worth the weight.

I don't like having anything hanging outside my backpack, I carry plenty of extras for that reason and always found a laundry somewhere in town and what do wash its drys very quick

Zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A small assortment of safety pins weighs less than one nappy pin, and great for many other uses: draining blisters, mending broken pack straps and hanging damp clothes to dry from your pack or on a clothesline. In recent years I’ve witnessed the use of clothespins by young people from Asia. Not sure the connection, simply an observation. Clothespins are cute and retro. But, safety pins work much better: They come in different sizes, when closed they stay put on your pack, and are much lighter, if not adorned by animals. (Good thing I watch BBC America or I wouldn't know what a "nappy pin" is.)

Rob, if you start doing laundry while on the camino, does that mean you'll have to change your name??:)
I can't stop laughing!!! That's rich coming from someone called PONG !!! I love safety pins. In fact I have them pinned all over my trousers and pack--- just in case. Great for washing lines as well as bulky than pegs. These threads are getting funnier by the day. It's good to laugh and smile!!

I don't like having anything hanging outside my backpack, I carry plenty of extras for that reason and always found a laundry somewhere in town and what do wash its drys very quick

Zzotte
l
We found this bicycle shed which came in very handy for drying the clothes one of the days! Out of general view! image.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have I said something wrong? Is my photo "too much information?" I will delete it if people are offended. Let me know please
No, it was my previous post that I was referring to. And I'm going to delete it. (Edit: all explained in my PM. No worries!)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Three pairs of socks and underwear; safety pins for socks; small paper binding clips for everything else whether on a clothesline or backpack. I don't like holes in my clothes and binder clips are smaller, lighter and more secure that clothes pins IMHO.

Exoffico undies dry in just a couple of hours. I carried 2 pair - one on and one in the bag. They make not-so-supportive bras too. I didn't want to pin unmentionables to my pack, so quick-dry is handy. I did safety-pin washed smartwool socks (not as fast drying) to my pack everyday. I carried three pair, because I sometimes wanted to switch out before the wet ones were dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
....I didn't want to pin unmentionables to my pack.......
Likewise.....but I did one day pin my capri long underwear to my pack to dry. Earlier in the day I had inadvertently wet them while trying to 'go' while standing up using one of those contraptions that is meant to facilitate that process. (Obviously, I hadn't practised enough.) I had only the one pair of capri underwear and knew I would need them that night and the following morning, so I washed them at the next opportunity and hung them on my pack to dry while I walked. I was not about to waste that glorious sunshine. :)

Rob, if you start doing laundry while on the camino, does that mean you'll have to change your name??:)

LOL! Sadly my slobbiness extends to much more than just my clothes.

Thanks for the tips everyone, but I'm a bit leery of constantly poking safety pins through my gear. Has anyone tried using mesh stuff sacks? I have several intended chiefly for packing, but drying wet laundry in them seemed like a good idea. Sadly I can't try my idea out just now, given that November in the Netherlands is slightly wetter and colder than central Spain in May.

I think it would depend on how "wadded" or folded up and how large the bag. Socks in a mesh pocket did ok IF the weather cooperated. Not sure if a folded up shirt would do as well. Pinning race bibs has gotten me past putting safety pins through my clothes but the first time was a leap of faith.

I lived in Amersfoort for three years...um when is it ever not raining? Another way to attach to pack might be 'threading' cord through both arm holes and tying to pack. Cord MIGHT be lighter than mesh bag, maybe not

I don't pierce my pack with the safety pins - just attach them to the various loops that most packs seem to have. I would not worry about "unmentionables" hanging off my pack; I'd rather have clean dry underwear than my pride. I don't like stuff swinging off the pack because it spoils the dynamics of the pack, but until the stuff is dry who cares?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your photo is fine and it's good to see you were being resourceful, something that comes in handy on camino.
I agree , in fact this sort of "drying rack" is more practical than a regular clothes line, far more drying space for a similar area. I agree with Kanga - I saw a number of pilgrims with the previous nights "washing" drying/airing on their packs.

I have one of those figure 8 carabiners that doubles as a bottle opener. My injinji socks have loops on them and there are plenty of things to clip the other side onto on my pack. Socks were the one thing that never dried as quickly as you want so the trick is to have enough of them!

Large safety pins on the pack. Also useful when you swap out your sweaty socks. The sweaty ones can air and dry hanging off on the pack, ready to go back on at the next swap.....

I think mesh bags would slow the drying process down. After you wash and wring out your socks, put them in a towel/packtowel and wring them again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Three pairs of socks and underwear; safety pins for socks; small paper binding clips for everything else whether on a clothesline or backpack. I don't like holes in my clothes and binder clips are smaller, lighter and more secure that clothes pins IMHO.
Have I said something wrong? Is my photo "too much information?" I will delete it if people are offended. Let me know please
I don't have a problem with it, though with3 pairs of socks , 3 Ts, but only one pair of undies, I can only presume some stole the others :rolleyes:

I've moved some posts that were off topic into a new thread. Could we stick to the main topic please.

One time, my exceedingly gracious Casa Rural hostess did all my laundry for free. She was great.

Other times, I washed stuff in the sink, and either hung it outside to dry (if a hanging rack was available), or hung a few things on the towel warmer (in the hotels, obvs). I did do laundry myself in SdC for 8 euro at Casa do Peregrino in old town Santiago....they also sell ice cream cones :)

It does help to carry a few diaper pins along to hang socks, or other items that may not dry overnight, from your pack and they can dry while you walk.

Hang undies at your own discretion ;-)

Last edited:
Like I say i take my clothes to the laundry at least when they come out of the dryer they are tostie warm :)

Straps-Hanger-Adjustable.jpg
I use one of these - can hang it from your back pack or from anywhere else that works for you - weighs next to nothing - can be easily cut
to a shorter length - clamps have very good grip to them - original purpose is to hang clothes from the back of a door - $4.99 at Walmart

Last edited:
I can't stop laughing!!! That's rich coming from someone called PONG !!! I love safety pins. In fact I have them pinned all over my trousers and pack--- just in case. Great for washing lines as well as bulky than pegs. These threads are getting funnier by the day. It's good to laugh and smile!!
My usual hiking partner is Ping. We were named by others on the Appalachian Trail. We figure it was because we were not much, one without the other!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you get to Santiago with everything filthy, as many of us do, I recommend getting your laundry done at Pilgrim House - five euros for the wash and dry and the very helpful laundress put my woollens and other items sensitive to heat in at a lower drying temperature, to get everything toasty warm and dry without shrinkage.

I don't have a problem with it, though with3 pairs of socks , 3 Ts, but only one pair of undies, I can only presume some stole the others :rolleyes:
No Anemone, no one would steal OUR clothes believe me!! I could not GIVE them away even!! Of course drying clothes depends on the weather and we were very lucky this year to have sunny days when we walked. In not so good weather everything just swings from the rucksacks !! So bless those big safety pins. We found over the years that albergues are more conducive to washing and drying clothes whereas pensions or hotels don't have these facilities apart from hanging them out the windows when possible. Best wishes Annette

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Annette - looks like you took plastic clothes pegs? We thought we would do this but how many?
Hi Kiwi bronz, we take about 10 of the lightest pegs in a small plastic pencil case with a tiny sewing kit---- you know the ones that are given in hotels with the toiletries? Mostly though it's large pins as these can be hung anywhere.one hotel we stayed in had literally no where to hang clothes, so the sunny side of the car park fence did the job just fine. Needs must!!! I think pilgrims and locals alike have "seen it all" with regards to the washing and drying of clothes!! Best wishes Annette

Are those Bridgedale liners next to your smalls?
Hi aghamore, they might be. Can't remember the name but I bought them in TRESPASS shop in Essex. I think they can be used as liners or light socks. I wear them with boots as thick socks seem to give me blisters as I have very wide feet. I take about 6 pairs with me and change them at every stop as my feet tend to sweat as well.i also find that I need plenty of space in my boots,and I use those gel insoles which are wonderful. I take other socks as well and sometimes even wear different socks on right and left foot!! Whatever works I say!! as all of us have one foot slightly bigger than the other. this year I left them at a cafe by mistake and got a taxi back 20 km to retrieve them!! Sounds crazy I know but after many tried and tested socks I have now found this method of frequently changing of socks keeps me blister free on the Camino. Of course everyone will have their own preference re footwear but this works foe me."different strokes for different folks" best wishes Annette

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi aghamore, they might be. Can't remember the name but I bought them in TRESPASS shop in Essex. I think they can be used as liners or light socks. I wear them with boots as thick socks seem to give me blisters as I have very wide feet. I take about 6 pairs with me and change them at every stop as my feet tend to sweat as well.i also find that I need plenty of space in my boots,and I use those gel insoles which are wonderful. I take other socks as well and sometimes even wear different socks on right and left foot!! Whatever works I say!! as all of us have one foot slightly bigger than the other. this year I left them at a cafe by mistake and got a taxi back 20 km to retrieve them!! Sounds crazy I know but after many tried and tested socks I have now found this method of frequently changing of socks keeps me blister free on the Camino. Of course everyone will have their own preference re footwear but this works foe me."different strokes for different folks" best wishes Annette

I'm pretty sure they are Bridgedales because I swear by them and that black and grey pattern is easily recognised.After much trial and error, I find that two pairs of them worn together are absolutely comfortable for me. They are also very light and quick drying so half a dozen pairs add little weight and are easily washed.

I understand the sock rescue trip entirely.

Okay, girls and boys, you have moved me to share a MOST EXCELLENT clothes' drying tip.

After your shower, dry off quickly with the "clean part" of any soiled clothing, if possible. Use your quick dry towel sparingly, if you have one. Same with albergue-provided towel.

Next, roll your wettest, hardest to dry item in the dry-ish towel---this will be after you have washed, rinsed, squeezed, allowed to hang, etc. I found that my Smartwool socks did like to hold some water, as did my hiking tights.

Lay that item on the dry part of the towel, roll it in, covering it completely with the towel, and put it on the cleanest section of floor that you can find (wink wink good luck with that part). If nothing else, put it on a counter. Now, either WALK on the rolled towel or press it hard with elbows. The quick-dry or other towel will take most of the moisture out of the item.

The quick dry towel then rinses and dries very fast, and has also dried your clothing items!

This is my good deed for the day!

PS--I only wash the truly dirty parts of some clothes when I can get away with it, eg. the crotch, the armpits, and/or the footbed, but not the ankle-tube section of a sock. Quite a little cheater at the clothes-washing routine, aren't I?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Okay, girls and boys, you have moved me to share a MOST EXCELLENT clothes' drying tip.

After your shower, dry off quickly with the "clean part" of any soiled clothing, if possible. Use your quick dry towel sparingly, if you have one. Same with albergue-provided towel.

Next, roll your wettest, hardest to dry item in the dry-ish towel---this will be after you have washed, rinsed, squeezed, allowed to hang, etc. I found that my Smartwool socks did like to hold some water, as did my hiking tights.

Lay that item on the dry part of the towel, roll it in, covering it completely with the towel, and put it on the cleanest section of floor that you can find (wink wink good luck with that part). If nothing else, put it on a counter. Now, either WALK on the rolled towel or press it hard with elbows. The quick-dry or other towel will take most of the moisture out of the item.

The quick dry towel then rinses and dries very fast, and has also dried your clothing items!

This is my good deed for the day!

PS--I only wash the truly dirty parts of some clothes when I can get away with it, eg. the crotch, the armpits, and/or the footbed, but not the ankle-tube section of a sock. Quite a little cheater at the clothes-washing routine, aren't I?
Yes I have used this method for years and it's brilliant. Your PS section is a good idea as its not always possible to fully wash clothes. Washing always depends on the weather and we have sometimes not been able to wash them, so if you meet us on the road keep far back!!!

Likewise.....but I did one day pin my capri long underwear to my pack to dry. Earlier in the day I had inadvertently wet them while trying to 'go' while standing up using one of those contraptions that is meant to facilitate that process. (Obviously, I hadn't practised enough.) I had only the one pair of capri underwear and knew I would need them that night and the following morning, so I washed them at the next opportunity and hung them on my pack to dry while I walked. I was not about to waste that glorious sunshine. :)
Yes, takes a little practice. I still splash on my boots sometimes (probably need a longer hose or keep it in the weeds). I continue to use mine off trail - no more hovering over icky gas station toilets & no more seedy rest stops. It is liberating, to say the least.

Same here- safety pins for socks and binder clips for everything else. And, yes, the small ones work best 99% of the time. For the other 1% of the time the big ones aren't worth the weight.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I made myself one of those braided elastic clothes lines with velcro loops on each end. (and packed 2-3 small safety pins I never did use) If I didn't have access to a dryer or a sunny afternoon and an outdoor line after clothes washing, I'd stretch the line between the head board and foot board of my bunk bed and hang my clothes over night. If the guy in the next bunk didn't like looking at my purple Exofficio granny panties -he could just lay the other way!!!

Attaching wet clothing to your rucksack to dry as you are walking is a wonderful idea. But it ONLY works if you do not encounter rain. Consider that. That said, I do use the rolling method whenever possible before hanging clothing.

Over the years, I have worked on any number of clever methods for creating a drying line under the bunk above me in an albergue (hooks and shoelaces on bedsprings or frame), or in the window opening of a hostal room (cleaned hiking pole, adjusted and wedged into the opening the pole makes a good line...)

Lately, I have started packing 4 very lightweight, folding plastic travel hangers to turn the wedged hiking pole into a proper drying rack for up to four hung shirts, undershorts, towel, and socks (4-to-one-hanger). The hangers do double duty as rucksack stays, holding my rucksack open. I arrange them vertically, two to a side, runner-banded together.

If the window you wedged your poles into has a radiator under the opening, you might get really lucky and have a shot of heat during the night to help your clothes to dry. Also, depending on the type and thickness of a bunk bed frame, this could be used to create a hanging space over one' feet. I also use these radiators to dry wet boots. Place the boots upside down, laces and insole removed. My gortex boots dry well this way.

I like to ask if it is possible to have my laundry "done" when I pull in for the night. You would be surprised how many enterprising folks across the Camino take in laundry for 5 - 7 Euros per load. It may sound exorbitant. But consider you only need to do it when hand laundry is problematic, like in raw, rainy or snowy conditions. You can even spilt a load with another pilgrim to reduce the costs.

The luxury of having your clothing washed, dried and returned folded to you in a small plastic bag is priceless...

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... I also use these radiators to dry wet boots. Place the boots upside down, laces and insole removed. My gortex boots dry well this way. ...

Careful with this method! If the radiator gets too hot it is an excellent way to ruin your boots. Buen Camino, SY

I also use these radiators to dry wet boots. Place the boots upside down, laces and insole removed. My gortex boots dry well this way.
Be very careful with that. Your boots can easily be ruined. Here is a filthy but better method, used by me in the Norw. Army up in the Arctic during winter warfare training:

1. Put newspaparer sheets in your boots to remove moist. Repeat.
2. Place your wet boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag before sleep. Your body heat will warm and dry them during the night. Yes, I know it's discusting. It works.
3. Place your wet socks in each armpit during the night. You will smell bad, and it will feel cold to begin with, but your socks will be dry and warm in the morning.

No kidding. Warm and dry boots & socks in the morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alex:

Kudos and thanks. I hope you are enjoying the Northern Lights each evening way up north of the Arctic Circle where you reside.:eek:

I should hasten to add that my boots are not purely leather as are your much loved Norwegian Army boots. They have Gore Tex liners and are rated to be "waterproof" from outside leakage. They do work in this fashion. It is mostly sweat that makes the inside of the boot wet. That said, extra caution should be taken with completely leather boots.

The newspaper idea is a good one that I actually use, and that I have mentioned before, in another post and thread. I forgot it here. It is a very good method. My bad...;)

You are right, it IS disgusting to put wet and possibly muddy boots in my sleeping bag. I would rather walk the next day in damp boots... But that is a personal preference. I am just not as trough as my crazy Viking friend from the far north.:)

Placing the boots, upside down on the radiator works for me, for TWO REASONS:

1. In general, albergue and hostal owners are stingy with the heat. Hence, the radiator is usually only "on" once or twice each night for 30 - 60 minutes. Not enough time to melt the boots or burn the building down...;)

2. As I am "bladder challenged" I am usually up and headed to the toilet every 90 - 120 minutes. So, I check the boots on each trip. As soon as they are acceptably dried, they are off the radiator. My doctor tells me this "bladder business" is normal for my age...getting old is a b(*&h, but surely beats the alternative of NOT getting older.;)

I regret if I suggested the boots should be forgotten on the radiator all night.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Re wet boots: I've had some success with sachets of salt. I reckon raw rice should also work.

I have taken my socks to bed, although not under my armpits! I've also melted a very expensive pair of Thorlo socks on a fuel stove.... not only leaving me deprived of a necessary pair but also half asphyiated myself. Luckily there was no-one else sharing my freezing quarters.

€60,-
Re-wet boots: newspapers and more newspapers....learn how to beg and borrow and beg again :)

As for drying things 'not quite dry', the Macabi skirt again came up trumps... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.