• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dual Pilgrim - Camino de Santiago & Kumano Kodo

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
A few days ago I was recognized for becoming a "Dual Pilgrim". Like many of you I had never heard of this term until very recently. Well a Dual Pilgrim is someone who has walked the two Unesco recognized pilgrimage routes those being the Camino de Santiago and the Kumano Kodo in Japan.

While I expect a number of Forum members have already accomplished this the official recognition is new in 2015. What a surprise when I entered the tourist office in Hongu Japan with my Camino de Santiago credential passport and the same for the Kuman Kodo. Very quickly four staff members were excitedly trying to communicate with me. Pictures were taken for their glass case, photocopies of my two credential passport books were made. Apparently my picture will at some point also be on the www.tb-kumano.jp website.

I also received the Dual Pilgrim pin...picture on my blog. As the year marches on I know the excitement in the tourist bureau will quieten as more Dual pilgrims arrive!

I had no idea why there was so much fuss until I was told that I was the fifth person to receive the pin...an American, three Japanese and now a token Canadian!

I can't describe the Kumano Kodo in words...you may wish to see my blog for pictures and a brief description of each day. It's a fantastic walk, rich in history dating back a 1,000 years. The scenery is spectacular...the walking typical mountain trail walking which honestly means it is challenging at times. In my opinion the finest 4+ days of walking I have had the fortune to do.

If interested see the web address above...a superb website allowing reservations at traditional Japanese inns. In terms of cost I spent just over $700 U.S. for the accomodation, food and train travel from Tokyo and back.

Hope some of you have a chance to experience.

Arigato

Guy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Avidly read your blog. How exciting! I had heard of the Shimano pilgrimage and its 88 temples, but not about the Kumano Kodo. Can you provide links (other than the one you already did, which I have bookmarked) that helped you in your preparation? You didn't have to camp at all and found accommodation every night?

Thank you!

Glad you found the blog interesting. In researching the Kumano Kodo I found the website provided to essentially be a one stop shop for information. As one digs into the website it has everything you need to know and I relied on it exclusively.

You choose an itinerary...then pick from available accommodation and the Kumano travel bureau makes the reservations for you and sends travel vouchers. I then printed maps, bus schedules, information about accommodation chosen all from the website and made my own travel guide book (courtesy Staples).

While I did not mention it in my posting...one must be prepared for culture shock when coming from a non Asian country. Very very little English is spoken in rural Japan, food is different, ways to sleep etc. Japanese people are incredibly polite and helpful so everything works out. I had an advantage as this is my third time in Japan (two daughters have lived here...go figure home in Winnipeg Canada!). For me adapting to a totally different way of living is a treat when travelling.

Guy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks so much for posting this - I'm due to complete the Camino in a couple of weeks and have already been thinking about what to do next. This pilgrimage looks amazing. What route did you do?

Thanks so much for posting this - I'm due to complete the Camino in a couple of weeks and have already been thinking about what to do next. This pilgrimage looks amazing. What route did you do?
I walked the Nakahechi route or the Imperial route from Takijiri-Oji to the Grand shrine at Kumano Homgu Taisha. In total 70 kms over the 4+ days which isn't high from a distance perspective however the terrain made up for it. All the best in completing your current Camino.

Congratulations. I have just yesterday completed Kumano Kodo Hongu Taisha to Nachi Taisha and leave for the Camino de Santiago de Compastela in late May. I too found the Kumano Kodo indescribable in beauty. It was not my intention to walk it. I am actually cycle touring Japan but when I saw the dual Compastela I took it as a sign. The visitor center helped me store my bicycle and guided me to a coin locker so all I carried was my camping gear, food, water and jacket in a 30L pack. Best experience ever. I have a pic with my pack next to the shell sign here in Hongu. I hope to join your esteemed company in late June when I arrive in Santiago de Compastela from the French Route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can highly recommend the route from Tabane to Hongu. I cycled a section that is near an old road and it is stunning. I walked Hongu to Nachi and it was tough but so spiritual.

Avidly read your blog. How exciting! I had heard of the Shimano pilgrimage and its 88 temples, but not about the Kumano Kodo. Can you provide links (other than the one you already did, which I have bookmarked) that helped you in your preparation? You didn't have to camp at all and found accommodation every night?

Thank you!
The visitor centre in Hongu are amazing. two ladies there speak enough English to give youeverything you need. I did my Kumano Kodo on the spur of the moment (decided at 12 and was on the road walking by 2pm). Only thing is tgat accommodation can book out so worth checking that but camping is an option on some routes and doesn't book out.

The visitor centre in Hongu are amazing. two ladies there speak enough English to give youeverything you need. I did my Kumano Kodo on the spur of the moment (decided at 12 and was on the road walking by 2pm). Only thing is tgat accommodation can book out so worth checking that but camping is an option on some routes and doesn't book out.
Those ladies in Hongu were so helpful. They were also worried about my safety since I was leaving late in the day. They offered lots of support and bows as I left!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Kuman Kodo pilgrimage route with my daughter in March 2014. You are correct... It is difficult in parts (glad I brought my trekking poles) but the japanese cedars and views were spectacular. I was unaware that this route was a sister route to the Camino so never thought to bring my credential or mention the Camino. Like you it was a last minute decision to go and so very little research was done by me. My daughter made reservations at the ryokans and a japanese home. An amazing cultural experience...but you do need to speak a little japanese. Thank goodness my daughter took some lessons. I hope to go back again some day but the Camino called this year so it may be a while.
A few days ago I was recognized for becoming a "Dual Pilgrim". Like many of you I had never heard of this term until very recently. Well a Dual Pilgrim is someone who has walked the two Unesco recognized pilgrimage routes those being the Camino de Santiago and the Kumano Kodo in Japan.

While I expect a number of Forum members have already accomplished this the official recognition is new in 2015. What a surprise when I entered the tourist office in Hongu Japan with my Camino de Santiago credential passport and the same for the Kuman Kodo. Very quickly four staff members were excitedly trying to communicate with me. Pictures were taken for their glass case, photocopies of my two credential passport books were made. Apparently my picture will at some point also be on the www.tb-kumano.jp website.

I also received the Dual Pilgrim pin...picture on my blog. As the year marches on I know the excitement in the tourist bureau will quieten as more Dual pilgrims arrive!

I had no idea why there was so much fuss until I was told that I was the fifth person to receive the pin...an American, three Japanese and now a token Canadian!

I can't describe the Kumano Kodo in words...you may wish to see my blog for pictures and a brief description of each day. It's a fantastic walk, rich in history dating back a 1,000 years. The scenery is spectacular...the walking typical mountain trail walking which honestly means it is challenging at times. In my opinion the finest 4+ days of walking I have had the fortune to do.

If interested see the web address above...a superb website allowing reservations at traditional Japanese inns. In terms of cost I spent just over $700 U.S. for the accomodation, food and train travel from Tokyo and back.

Hope some of you have a chance to experience.

Arigato

Guy

I was lucky in that the Dual Pilgrim recognition only started Jan 1, 2015. Just a note to others...speaking a little Japanese would certainly be helpful however I managed with only being able to say hello in Japanese. Of course that did mean I was very cold a few nights as I did not realize the "air conditioner" was also a heater and I simply ate what was placed in front of me...and trusted.

I am excited by this!

My daughter is moving to Tokyo in a week or so, but is flying to Spain to walk the last 100km of the Camino de Santiago with me at the end of April. Such a precious gift.

I will visit her in Japan later in the year, and it would be wonderful to walk for a few days on the Kumano Kodo, even on my own.

Thank you for posting, I think your blog will be a most useful source of information.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back