• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dublin Airport....

M

Mark Lee

Found some good prices on flights from the US to Dublin. Best one I found has me arriving in Dublin at 6:35 am. To any familiar with the airport, do you think I could make it to a flight from Dublin to Biarritz (Ryan Air) which leaves at 9:30 am? That gives me 3 hours to get to it. I would plan on doing the carry-on thing with my backpack.
The Ryan Air is a separate flight completely.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Found some good prices on flights from the US to Dublin. Best one I found has me arriving in Dublin at 6:35 am. To any familiar with the airport, do you think I could make it to a flight from Dublin to Biarritz (Ryan Air) which leaves at 9:30 am? That gives me 3 hours to get to it. I would plan on doing the carry-on thing with my backpack.
I wouldn't know, Mark, but I recall a recent thread where someone was likely to miss a connection in Paris because the overseas flight, on a different airline, had been changed to a later time since the bookings were made, and there was no recourse. However, you could still compare your savings on the overseas flight with your losses, if you missed your connection. Or you could book a later or next day onward flight and plan on spending a day in Dublin - not the worst fate in the world. Good luck, whatever you decide.

I wouldn't know, Mark, but I recall a recent thread where someone was likely to miss a connection in Paris because the overseas flight, on a different airline, had been changed to a later time since the bookings were made, and there was no recourse. However, you could still compare your savings on the overseas flight with your losses, if you missed your connection. Or you could book a later or next day onward flight and plan on spending a day in Dublin - not the worst fate in the world. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Thanks.
Yeah, from what I can see the Dublin Airport is not nearly the size of CDG and with only two terminals connected by a five minute walk. Land in terminal 2 and walk to terminal 1 and fly out. It's the time involved in getting through passport control and security I was concerned about, not to mention getting to the Ryan Air desk for my boarding pass.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks.
Yeah, from what I can see the Dublin Airport is not nearly the size of CDG and with only two terminals connected by a five minute walk. Land in terminal 2 and walk to terminal 1 and fly out. It's the time involved in getting through passport control and security I was concerned about, not to mention getting to the Ryan Air desk for my boarding pass.
But I would say that the chances of one or both of your flights being rescheduled after you had booked them is, in my experience, uncomfortably high. If they end up being too close together, you could not make the second flight in any case.

But I would say that the chances of one or both of your flights being rescheduled after you had booked them is, in my experience, uncomfortably high. If they end up being too close together, you could not make the second flight in any case.
I've never had that happen even when I flew a lot for work. Is Ryan Air bad about doing that? I have never flown them before.

I've never had that happen even when I flew a lot for work. Is Ryan Air bad about doing that? I have never flown them before.
I don't know, Mark, but my overseas flights last year were both rescheduled after I had booked them. Since the connecting flights were also with British Airways, they did connect, but not conveniently. I paid for an expensive taxi to the Calgary airport because my flight was put back to 6 am, too early for the airport shuttle bus, then I had to wait about 5 hours in the Dallas/Fort Worth airport. Coming back, both flights were also rescheduled, but not quite so inconveniently. And of course, your overseas flight might be late from any sort of delay, whatever the schedule is. There is a posting which I read on the forum today which speculates that airlines are currently juggling their schedules in order to get more passengers. I gather that others are experiencing changes in their flights and are reluctant to book with more than one airline because they cannot rely on the original scheduling. To my mind, unless you have later bookings which cannot be changed you might just decide to take your chances of finding something else out of Dublin if you miss your booked flight. But I wouldn't be too confident that you wouldn't miss it. I would probably book a later flight out of Dublin, if I could find one, or stay a day and get acquainted with the Irish beer. But then I lived a year in Dublin and would enjoy a day or so visit for its own sake. Maybe you will be lucky and both your flights will keep to the currently scheduled times. Best wishes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Mark,

Although I've been at Dublin airport only once in my life I can assure you that it is nothing as large if compared with AIRPORTS. Three hours will give you more than enough time even with your checked baggage from the States. OK, maybe half an hour more for the customs but that should be it. I would go for it.

Best of luck!!!

EDIT: One more thing you can do if you find very cheap ticket from Dublin to Spain. That is you can secure your RyanAir (or else) flight for few more € and easily rescheduled it if initial overseas flight would be canceled or too late. Just a thought.)

Hi, Mark,

Although I've been at Dublin airport only once in my life I can assure you that it is nothing as large if compared with AIRPORTS. Three hours will give you more than enough time even with your checked baggage from the States. OK, maybe half an hour more for the customs but that should be it. I would go for it.

Best of luck!!!

EDIT: One more thing you can do if you find very cheap ticket from Dublin to Spain. That is you can secure your RyanAir (or else) flight for few more € and easily rescheduled it if initial overseas flight would be canceled or too late. Just a thought.)
Thank you sir....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If it were me then I would go for it especially since the airport is in an English speaking country (which you are presumably fluent in.)

Mike

I've not been to Dublin. I'm just basing my thoughts on general travel experience such as it is.

If everything goes well you should be able to barely make it ... and the fact you're asking shows that you are aware that your timings are tight.

If I were going from Vancouver to Dublin I'd stop there for a night before going on to Biarritz. At the least I'd probably want more time between flights just to be sure I can make the timings.

If you decide to try the odds ... what is Plan B? Can you eat the price of the ticket if you don't make it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

There have been several anecdotes recently where schedules are being changed after tickets are purchased... and in cases ... more than once. It seems to be with the overseas carriers ... there have not been similar complaints about Ryan Air. (Ryan Air has its own issues but they do have a good record for being on time and they tend to maintain a schedule all year.) I can see it there is going to be some major conflicts if airlines make schedule changes after the sale of tickets a common practice for the purpose of trying to fill seats.

If your flight arrives on time and you don't have to wait for checked luggage then you have plenty time, Dublin Airport is pretty small by international standards and even if you have to change terminals it is a ten minute walk max. Not a problem IMO.

If your flight arrives on time and you don't have to wait for checked luggage then you have plenty time, Dublin Airport is pretty small by international standards and even if you have to change terminals it is a ten minute walk max. Not a problem IMO.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've not been to Dublin. I'm just basing my thoughts on general travel experience such as it is.

If everything goes well you should be able to barely make it ... and the fact you're asking shows that you are aware that your timings are tight.

If I were going from Vancouver to Dublin I'd stop there for a night before going on to Biarritz. At the least I'd probably want more time between flights just to be sure I can make the timings.

If you decide to try the odds ... what is Plan B? Can you eat the price of the ticket if you don't make it?
Well, three hours seems like plenty of time considering the size of the Dublin airport. I was just wondering if anyone had any prior experience there. How long it took them to get through passport control, security, etc. I mean specifically for the Dublin airport, not a general opinion on all airports in the same scenario.

thanks

Well, three hours seems like plenty of time considering the size of the Dublin airport. I was just wondering if anyone had any prior experience there. How long it took them to get through passport control, security, etc. I mean specifically for the Dublin airport, not a general opinion on all airports in the same scenario.

I'll reiterate ... What is Plan B? Can you eat the price of the ticket if you don't make it?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mark, 3 hours should be more than enough. FYI - Ryanair flights depart from T1. Even if your flight from the US arrives in T2, you can change terminals very quickly as they are right beside each other.

Ryanair get a lot of bad press, but they are very good at what they do (cheap flights). You need to read the conditions very carefully, otherwise you will end up paying for 'extras' at the airport. For example, make sure that you print your boarding pass or use their mobile app. Also - their carry on allowance is probably much smaller than your transatlantic carrier, so you may have to check in a bag.

You might want to check Aer Lingus prices too as their rules can be a lot more flexible. In my experience, they are quite relaxed (within reason) about about hand baggage size.

Hi Mark,
Just to reiterate all that Nuala has said...
If you land in Dublin on time, you will be off the plane, thru passport control, have asked which doors you need to go thru & standing at your security check in terminal 2 with your pre-printed or App'd boarding passes by 7:15 at the latest.

Ryanair baggage allowance is 10kg, but your also allowed a small "man bag" as carry on - if your bag is overweight/ or if oversized you pay a penalty at boarding - I believe it may be 80euro.

Even if you book a bag in on your long haul, I see you standing at security in terminal 2 by 7:30.

Dublin is one of the easiest international airports to get around as long as your not afraid to ask for direction.

IMO, with the times you have, barring delays you could even taxi into Grafton Street, have a pint of the black stuff & still make your flight!

........dont be tempted - you won't stop with one!

Best of luck,
M

As others have said, an hour is usually enough for a transfer in Dublin if you don't have to check in a bag, with an important proviso. I think all transatlantic flights come into Terminal 2. Transfers to Terminal 1 for Ryanair are easy if you have your boarding card - which you MUST if you are with Ryanair! You will have plenty of time with 3 hours to play with, you don't have to go through immigration unless you had to collect a bag. See www.dublinairport.com/flight-connections/information.

By the way, if you are returning to the US via Dublin, they do pre-clearance for US immigration there, so no standing in line when you arrive home!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dublin Airport is quite small. Ryanair always fly out of terminal 1. It is a 5 minute walk (max) between the two terminals. You should have ample time to make the connection even if you have check in baggage. Also most US flights tend to land early due to SW tailwinds. You can also buy a security fast pass (daa.ie follow the links). It costs about €10 and allows you to 'skip' the security queue on re entry to boarding gates. Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to modify my earlier post - if you're looking at the Biarritz flight, Aer Lingus isn't option for that route.

You're likely to meet lots of other pilgrims on that flight!

Just to modify my earlier post - if you're looking at the Biarritz flight, Aer Lingus isn't option for that route.

You're likely to meet lots of other pilgrims on that flight!
Yeah, I researched. Ryan Air is the only one to Biarritz. They do have some mighty tight carry-on restrictions, though.
I found flights on Aer Lingus back to Dublin from Santiago.

Those of used to flying Ryanair wear a special coat with multiple pockets, as well as extra jumpers, shirts jackets, all to make sure our hand luggage is below the weight restrictions. Make sure your bag fits inside their volume limits also!

Yeah, I researched. Ryan Air is the only one to Biarritz. They do have some mighty tight carry-on restrictions, though.
I found flights on Aer Lingus back to Dublin from Santiago.

Yes, the carry-on baggage sizes are quite restrictive, even with the allowance for another smaller item. It's more about size than about weight - your main item needs to fit into the little frame at the boarding gate. I'm taking that flight in a couple of weeks time and am checking in my bag.

In my experience my 40L pack can be carried on no problems along with a carrier bag with boots and a jacket etc . Once you play by their rules Ryanair are great .

As others have noted Dublin is generally a breeze to get through , compact and security rarely takes longer than 15 mins .

One more tip . Inform check in state side that you'd like to be seated as close to front of plane as possible . Should mean you'll be nearer to front of queue at passport control. :cool:

Yes, the carry-on baggage sizes are quite restrictive, even with the allowance for another smaller item. It's more about size than about weight - your main item needs to fit into the little frame at the boarding gate. I'm taking that flight in a couple of weeks time and am checking in my bag.
To check in a bag is about 80 Euros, right?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mark, Ryan air charge around €20-30 to pre-check a bag. €80 is the penalty charge (or money-grabbing scam depending on your point of view) imposed if they reject your bag as hand-luggage. I seriously pissed them off once by pre-checking my bag & then carrying it on anyway. It fitted their little box, just.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dublin Airport is quite small. Ryanair always fly out of terminal 1. It is a 5 minute walk (max) between the two terminals. You should have ample time to make the connection even if you have check in baggage. Also most US flights tend to land early due to SW tailwinds. You can also buy a security fast pass (daa.ie follow the links). It costs about €10 and allows you to 'skip' the security queue on re entry to boarding gates. Hope this helps.
Bunny Mac & Christian are correct of course, Ryanair go from Terminal 1.

Also be prepared for a bit of a walk from security to the boarding gates (Camino'ish in distance) but still no need to panic on time.

On the baggage topic, there are so many carry on's now with Ryanair that you struggle to find space in the cabin for them, in fact the stewardesses are now taking them from passengers queuing at boarding, tagging them & sticking them in the hold for free!

I'll be checking in a 45L on my Ryanair flight to Biarritz in June.

For peace of mind & the sake of 20/30euro Mark I'd check it.

It will add a few more minutes to your changeover as you'll have to go to the bag drop, but I still would not be concerned.

Buen Camino
M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im from Ireland and travel through Dublin Airport several times every year. Its a small Airport. It has two terminals 5 minutes walk to go from one to the other. Go for it . You should have no problem.
Donal

Last edited:
Hello, Mark.
I have only been through Dublin the once--did the same thing you're planning. My memories are: we checked our packs, picked them up easily and flew through customs (Q: How long will you be in Ireland? A: About 3 hours, we're switching to Ryanair.) and went to a fast visit to the Ryanair coutner for the boarding pass and to check packs. Then milled around on seating in the airport for a couple or three hours--not all the seating requires you to purchase a drink.
I have read and do believe the comments about Ryanair being extremely strict about the size rules for carry-on luggage. I had an "airplane bag" that was made specifically to fit their carry-on rule and it worked fine for Kindle, snacks, cameras. It's been on 2 Caminos now, plus other plane trips, and while the straps are getting a little worn I still like it.
I will make mention, though, in case it should matter to you, that the Boots in Dublin airport doesn't carry Pepto-Bismol or anything that looks equivalent. (And Spanish pharmacies have never heard of such an outlandish idea as a diarrhea remedy that doesn't need to be taken hours ahead of the need becoming apparent!)
Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not a problem, the airport actually quite small.
ro

You will have to go through immigration, I believe, since you are arriving into the EU. Good advice about getting a seat near the front of the plane to minimize the number of people in front of you at passport control/immigration.
The terminals are connected and about a 15 min walk.
3 hrs is easily enough time especially if you don't have to check in a bag.
Ryanair is great if you know what you are getting into and you play by their rules. One of those is you MUST check in (online) at least 4 hours before the flight. You can do it quite far in advance if you pay to choose a seat, but you can do it about a week in advance without paying. Either print the boarding card or use the Ryanair App to store it on your phone. This works quite well and any scanners at the airport are set up to use it. They will charge you if you haven't checked in in advance. They will allocate you a seat unless you pay to choose one in advance.
The cost to check in a bag is different depending on whether you book it in advance, or you turn up and they force you to check it in because its too big/heavy. My experience is that they rarely weigh the bag, but if it looks quite fat and big they may ask you to check it at the wireframe size checker thing. Not sure about hiking pole philosophy. Usual airport things like liquids of 100mls or less are permitted in a clear plastic bag. We usually bring an empty water bottle, and then fill it up at a water fountain after security. Water in airports is usually outrageously priced, but you can get a 500mls bottle for 1€; there is even an honesty box for you to drop the euro into.

There used to be a queue that formed quite quickly to get on first on the plane and choose a seat. Now that they allocate seats, there is still a queue that forms at some point, because the overhead locker space is relatively limited, and you want to have your bag close to you. If the flight is full, they will go through the queue trying to put peoples bags in the hold (for free). I usually tell them I have a tight schedule at the other end and need to get off quickly. Most times that is true :)

I would reckon that the chances of the Dublin -Biarritz flight being seriously altered are slim, and the transatlantic ones less so, although it can still get delayed. If you do miss it, Ryanair will not have any sympathy and they don't do connecting flights, so if you miss the Ryanair flight you will have to book a seat on the next flight (if there is room). They only flt once a day and every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, so you would have a 2 day wait.

Bottom line:
If it was me, I would go for it, 3 hours is plenty

What dates are you thinking of?
If necessary and I am around, Plan B could involve bunking down in my place.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks.
Download ryan air app for your boarding pass andvyou don.t need to check in at desk. Or you can book in on line 30 days to 2 hours before flight and print off boarding pass. Good luck

Everyone here has given good advice but I think a summary is necessary, as there are two main options.
1. Check in a bag. On arrival in Terminal 2, go through passport control (telling them you are transferring - show them your Ryanair boarding pass) and pick up bag. Walk to Terminal 1 and check in bag with Ryanair. Go through security and then to gate. Time estimate: max 1 hour
2. Carry on luggage only. On arrival in Terminal 2, walk to 'Flight Connections', show Ryanair boarding pass (must have this!). Walk to Terminal 1 and if very keen, go to gate to wait for 2 hours! Time estimate, 20 minutes. Note that the walk from Terminal 1 main hub to the Ryanair gates is long, 15 of the 20 minute estimate. There are a few shops and cafes out there but a bigger selection in the hub.
So in both cases, plenty of time with 3 hours available.

Hi Mark, ChristianSdem has summarized well, just to remind you if going for option #1 - then check your bag in online. You'll need to go to the Ryanair "bag drop" desk before going thru security. If you wait till Dublin to check in the bag it will cost 2-3 times the price.

Dublin Airport is my nearest airport and assuming the first flight arrives on time then you should have no problem at all in making it down to where the Ryanair flights go from. The Ryanair flights all go from the end of T1 furthest from T2 but you should still be fine. The Ryanair gate numbers are 101 upwards.

For some reason I missed this thread before, but just booked NYC to Dublin, then on to Bordeaux, then Santiago-Dublin-NYC all on Aer Lingus. I had to call them to get it all on one ticket but feel happier that I did it that way. And it was pretty cheap - $700. I've had problems with Ryanair changing flights before, so didn't want two different carriers. We'll just take the train down from Bordeaux - we're going Sept 4 so hopefully the train strike will be over by then!

Hola Mark, On a recent return flight from N. America I took a mental note of times involved. Flight landed 9:40.
Sitting at back of plane it took 11 minutes from "fasten seat belt" switch off to reach door of plane.
From door of plane to passport control, a brisk walk took 5 minutes.
To clear passport control and unchallenged at customs, 5 minutes.
After customs, exit through doors to public arrivals hall and take an immediate hard left, signposted, and enter short walkway to Terminal 1.
Your time at passport control may be longer as a non EU passport holder and more flights arriving at same time.
After Ryanair have verified your documents, you decide if you wish to step outside into beautiful Irish sunshine!!!

P.S. ChristianSdeM, I think non EU document holders are required to present at check in desk for document&acids verification.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Mark, On a recent return flight from N. America I took a mental note of times involved. Flight landed 9:40.
Sitting at back of plane it took 11 minutes from "fasten seat belt" switch off to reach door of plane.
From door of plane to passport control, a brisk walk took 5 minutes.
To clear passport control and unchallenged at customs, 5 minutes.
After customs, exit through doors to public arrivals hall and take an immediate hard left, signposted, and enter short walkway to Terminal 1.
Your time at passport control may be longer as a non EU passport holder and more flights arriving at same time.
After Ryanair have verified your documents, you decide if you wish to step outside into beautiful Irish sunshine!!!

P.S. ChristianSdeM, I think non EU document holders are required to present at check in desk for document&acids verification.

Correct! So here goes again for summary, with two improvements.

1. Check in a bag. On arrival in Terminal 2, go through passport control (telling them you are transferring - show them your Ryanair boarding pass and passport) and pick up bag. Walk to Terminal 1 and go to 'bag drop' with Ryanair. You MUST have checked in before leaving home, with bag confirmed. Go through security and then to gate. Time estimate: max 1 hour
2. Carry on luggage only. On arrival in Terminal 2, walk to 'Flight Connections', show Ryanair boarding pass (must have this!) and passport. Walk to Terminal 1 and if very keen, go to gate to wait for 2 hours! Time estimate, 20 minutes. Note that the walk from Terminal 1 main hub to the Ryanair gates is long, 15 of the 20 minute estimate. There are a few shops and cafes out there but a bigger selection in the hub.
So in both cases, plenty of time with 3 hours available.

I hope that covers it fully.

ChristianSdeM,
My understanding is that a non EU document passenger arriving in Dublin with a paper boarding pass/app etc for a Ryanair flight MUST report at a check in desk, hence exit from airside to lanside in order to have documents verified.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back