• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dumb question

Time of past OR future Camino
So I began making my way backwards on the CF last year from SdC. My plan was to continue that this year however I haven’t actually walked to Finisterre or Muxia and I’m feeling pulled in that direction. My dumb question is, will any albergue care that my credentials show me hopping around. Should I just get a new credential? Thanks for your input!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So I began making my way backwards on the CF last year from SdC. My plan was to continue that this year however I haven’t actually walked to Finisterre or Muxia and I’m feeling pulled in that direction. My dumb question is, will any albergue care that my credentials show me hopping around. Should I just get a new credential? Thanks for your input!
How far “back” did you get? I’m planning Finesterre to Leon in 2019.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How far “back” did you get? I’m planning Finesterre to Leon in 2019.

I didn’t have a lot of time last year plus there was (is?) a huge construction project heading out of (into) SdC. I made it to Vega de Valcarce in about 8 days. I’m not trying to make a particular schedule. I ended up using an app to help sometimes bc going backwards is harder than it seems. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do not recall any Alburgue, church or bar even looking at where I had been the day before until I got to Santiago.

.Got my credentiale stamped all over in a creative chaos , even got some drawing with color pencils
you can even log it yourself when roughing it under the stars
it doesn't matter , it's only your pilgrim tracks not a thought police document

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A 'higgly-piggly' credencial is only an issue if and when you present it at the Pilgrim Office to try to obtain a Compostela. The staff usually examines a credencial to use the chronological sellos to establish a definite line-of-march in a more or less direct line from somewhere at least 100 km distant, into Santiago.

If you are all over the place with no direct line for the final 100 km into Santiago, and if you want a Compostela, be prepared to explain your route. A paper map with a line drawn on the route to explain would help. But you still must document that you walked the FINAL 100 km on any route to get to Santiago.

As a suggestion, and if you are taking pictures along your travels; data and location-stamped smartphone photos have frequently saved the day for imaginative pilgrims who failed to obtain their sellos either in order, or in enough quantity (two each day for the final 100 km) to qualify the usual way. Most folks do not think of this, but it can help you explain your meandering ways.

Hope this helps.

!aiesuS te aiertlU¡ Enjoy your backwards walking. It really is about your journey, however you mix it up. Have you read the related bit of Taras Grescoe’s book?
FEF32F71-80A6-46D2-85FD-6AC7A4471C80.jpeg

.Got my credentiale stamped all over in a creative chaos , even got some drawing with color pencils
you can even log it yourself when roughing it under the stars
it doesn't matter , it's only your pilgrim tracks not a thought police document

I didn’t think it was a thought police document (whatever that is). Just trying to be respectful of people’s need for beds, courtesy to hosts, etc. Thanks for your reply

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A 'higgly-piggly' credencial is only an issue if and when you present it at the Pilgrim Office to try to obtain a Compostela. The staff usually examines a credencial to use the chronological sellos to establish a definite line-of-march in a more or less direct line from somewhere at least 100 km distant, into Santiago.

If you are all over the place with no direct line for the final 100 km into Santiago, and if you want a Compostela, be prepared to explain your route. A paper map with a line drawn on the route to explain would help. But you still must document that you walked the FINAL 100 km on any route to get to Santiago.

As a suggestion, and if you are taking pictures along your travels; data and location-stamped smartphone photos have frequently saved the day for imaginative pilgrims who failed to obtain their sellos either in order, or in enough quantity (two each day for the final 100 km) to qualify the usual way. Most folks do not think of this, but it can help you explain your meandering ways.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I do have a Compostela. Although I might do other routes I’m not really interested in “getting credit” for them. I also don’t want albergue staff thinking I just hopped out of a cab and showed up.

.My credentiale freaked the person giving the compostella , I had so many stamps I had added a second credentiale and stuck it with cello tape , kept it ,stuck a third one and re-used it three years later when doing Vilnius to Vezelay and had stamps on both recto and verso .
that was a great conversation piece

It now looks like my mind , a greatly expanded chaotic jumble

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked Santiago to Finisterre and then to Muxia last year (Dec). The municipal albergues in Finisterre and Muxia albergues posted strict conditions for staying. In Finisterre, the reception staff checked my credential to make sure I had at least two stamps from Albergues between Santiago and Finisterre. (I believe they also allowed hikers to check-in earlier than cyclists). In Muxia, they wanted to see a stamp from the town halfway between Finisterre and Muxia. There are other accommodations in both towns if you don't have the required stamps in your credential.
They don't care what kind of jumble the earlier pages of your credential may be in. They only care that you have the requisite stamps to show your progress from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia (or Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre).

Yeeh the last stages after muxia get a lot of wannabe pilgrims who do it on the sly , so it get a bit more inquisitive
also I've found that the closer one get to compostella the less cutlery there is in the kitchen .
I was the lucky possessor of a corkscrew and levied a taxe of half glass for each bottle opened

.My credentiale freaked the person giving the compostella , I had so many stamps I had added a second credentiale and stuck it with cello tape , kept it ,stuck a third one and re-used it three years later when doing Vilnius to Vezelay and had stamps on both recto and verso .
that was a great conversation piece

It now looks like my mind , a greatly expanded chaotic jumble

Wonderful!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I did SdC to Muxi & then Finisterre in late 2014 I used the same passport with no problem. Where I stayed in Muxia the place was unattended & my walkung companion & I were the only 2 pilgrims. It's a lovely walk, a little steep out of SdC but well worth it! Beun Camino

Private albergues don't care. Some parish / monastery and municipal ones do, especially if it's busy.

Hope this helps.
We had a guy in last week with a jumble of stamps from about 6 different caminos. He said he was just wandering Spain and thought he'd ask (about a Compostela) and wasn't particularly put out with "NO".

They've been very strict on the two stamps a day rule over the last couple of weeks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
the compostella is not that much important ,
it only matter to those who want to get it and would go to extremes to obtain it by hook or crook

the credentiale is the record of the journey , sometimes I got three in the same days
then none for the next ,
it was the record of an experience and I treasure it as such
don't bother with a piece of paper , just enjoy the ride

I walked Camino Frances last year, and this autumn I want to walk from Santiago to Finisterre. Do I need a new credentiale, or I can walk with an old one? If I need to get a new one, maybe someone knows, where I can get it in Santiago?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked Camino Frances last year, and this autumn I want to walk from Santiago to Finisterre. Do I need a new credentiale, or I can walk with an old one? If I need to get a new one, maybe someone knows, where I can get it in Santiago?
Once the credential has been stamped by the Pilgrim Office and a Compostela issued it is, in effect, closed down. You can buy another one from them though. You don't need one if you're walking from SdC to Finisterre as they're only required for pilgrimages to Santiago not from there. You might like to have one for souvenir purposes.

Edit:
on second thoughts you might like to have one if you're thinking of getting a Finisterre certificate.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back