• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dutch custom of 'dropping'

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
According an article in the New York Times the Dutch have a scouting tradition called 'dropping' by which children are left in the forest at night and have to find their own way back to base. See reactions to the NYT article at Dutch custom of 'dropping'.

Now I know why the Dutch are so self-reliant and such indefatigable hikers.🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

But variants of dropping are nothing new. As a 14-year-old scout myself (it seems like only yesterday) of Scottish (not Dutch) descent in Australia, I had to navigate my way over an unknown course with a compass and draw a field sketch of my route to earn a badge.

What's the fuss?

Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nothing so special. When I was a boy scout in early 80's (way back in former Yugoslavia) we were "dropped" for 36 hours (limit to get a patch if you made it back to the camp in that time) with a topo map, compass, a knife, 1 liter of water, 10 matches and 100 grams of flour along with our personal (everything that we brought to the summer camp) stuff. I was 12 and it was great fun. I even caught. skinned, grilled and ate two blindworms (deaf adders) :D :D :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
According an article in the New York Times the Dutch have a scouting tradition called 'dropping' by which children are left in the forest at night and have to find their own way back to base. See reactions to the NYT article at Dutch custom of 'dropping'.

Now I know why the Dutch are so self-reliant and such indefatigable hikers.🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

But variants of dropping are nothing new. As a 14-year-old scout myself (it seems like only yesterday) of Scottish (not Dutch) descent in Australia, I had to navigate my way over an unknown course with a compass and draw a field sketch of my route to earn a badge.

What's the fuss?

Bob M

The fuss surprised me.
'Dropping' is not a Dutch word, but somehow that did not ring a bell with the NYT.

No, but 'drop' is.
Reading the title, I thought it had something to do with licorice ('What, the kids are force fed the stuff to perpetuate the communal addiction in the next generation?')
🤣

"Drop" (as in "rain drop") is English. The liquorice we know was originally made by an English pharmacist a few centuries ago. He made a thick syrup that hardened into drops. The Dutch then added a few ingredients of their own and never stopped chewing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a young girl my mother would "drop" my sisters and I off all over town to get various supplies for Dads construction jobs. Problem was that she would then go off to catch up with the ladies that lunch and forget about us. I'll never forget having to haul 2 bags of cement and a box of 4 inch nails home, did it as a kind of relay bringing up the supplies from one lamp post to another. Could have done with some salty liquorice to replace what I sweated out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In South Africa we had "veldskool"... More like military camp than summer camp. On the second day we were dropped off in the bushveld, given some rations and a compass, and told to find our way back to camp. Luckily no big cats in the area, but I distinctly remember an encounter with a warthog! (p.s. we were aged 11-12).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Excellent idea. But I imagine we would need bigger jails for all the parents convicted of child abuse... Just saying.

That said, partially tongue-in-cheek, I think it is an excellent way to teach self-reliance.

https://speld.nl/2019/07/22/wat-is-een-acceptabel-terugkeerpercentage-bij-een-dropping/

What is an acceptable return rate for a dropping?

You're planning on organizing a dropping for your 12-year-old daughter's birthday. What percentage of the children have to return for the dropping to be a success?

"You shouldn't make it too easy for children," says droppings expert Flemmo te Gader. "A dropping should be exciting, not boring. You don't want children to walk all night and then find out that everyone has made it. A return rate of around 60 percent is therefore ideal in my opinion. The dropping was absolutely challenging, but not impossible. Of course you do have a responsibility towards the parents of other children."

Unfortunately, many parents are becoming more and more cautious about leaving children behind in a forest, according to Te Gader. "The other day there was news that a man had organized a dropping with a return rate of 100 percent. This is in fact the result of the exaggerated concern of young parents. They can't leave their child alone for a week in a dark forest without starting to app. A shame. In this way, a fine tradition is in danger of disappearing."

Te Gader hopes that droppings with an average return rate of 60 percent will remain the norm. "In this way, children learn that it is not self-evident that you can survive birthday parties just like that. They will benefit from this for the rest of their lives."

🤭🤭

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was 12 when I did my first solo back-pack in the Cascade Mountain Range. I was dropped off by my step-father at the old trailhead to Sauk Lake and picked up 3 days later. I shouldered a WWII packboard with all my gear. Recently, I led a hike up Sauk Mountain and regaled my group with the story. One of my fellow hikers asked, "did you ever consider that maybe your step-father was trying to get rid of you?" Hmmmmmm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I worked for some time in one of these Forest Kindergartens, busing children daily from central Copenhagen´s concrete jungles to the greenery of the wooded countryside...
They slept well ....

Last edited:

What's the fuss?

Bob M
It’s known a different term,, but it’s a practice in indigenous communities here on Turtle Island too. I’m sure there are countless other examples in cultures around the world. These rites of passage are older or just plain ancient compared with recent social mores in developed western democracies that drive relentlessly toward comfort, coddling, protection and away from struggle, risk and discovery. That time I checked, Life isn’t nearly so soft and simple so practices to build resilience have my vote.

And too many parents now won't let their children walk a few blocks to school by themselves.
Maybe that’s because they don’t want to get investigated by the state child services agency. :mad: This happened last year in the town where my son lives and you would be surprised to hear the number of parents who agreed that it was irresponsible to let the 8 year old walk the dog around the block alone. Are you kidding me?! This is a low crime, high income, totally insulated suburban bubble. The news media is partly responsible with their fear-mongering reports about child abductions, etc., but many US parents are gripped with irrational fears about their children’s safety. The same sort of fear that grabs many women when they contemplate walking the camino alone. It is really very sad, and very hard to shake.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The article makes it sound as if this is a Dutch tradition. Maybe if your kids are scouts (mine weren't) but otherwise not. In fact I don't know any friends of my children (now 25 and 32) who have done this. But as a first year university student I remember my daughter and her year club pals were dropped off blindfolded on the Dutch Afsluitdijk and they had to find their way back home to Amsterdam without a cent. They ended up hitchhiking and singing to the conductor of the train to ride for free. But heck, they were 17 and 18 year Olds.

I got left in the woods at age 12 on a "Snipe Hunt". Only mildly scary as the leaders and older boys eventually retrieved those of us still out there holding our open pillow cases over a game trail.

Post 9-11, this would be impossible, but when we were living in Singapore in the 80s and early 90s, my wife and I had meetings in Hanover, NH. We flew cross country from Boston and joined our youngest at LAX who was flying alone from Singapore, and off we went to Disneyland. He was 9. If we did this in 2019, we'd be rattling our tin cups across the bars of our new residence...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a beautiful example from a Japanese film project, to find out just how competent children are, when left to do an errand in an urban enviroment.
A film enthusiast club participated in as much as they documented what two very young girls said and did as they where told to do an errand for grandad, to bring out his luncheon box for him.
A new camera amateur stood at every street corner and followed w candid camera at knee height their every move...
As they went down the road , on a familiar route, they communicated on what to do and commented on the many temptations they met.
Beautiful docu....from years and years ago..

I saw the article in the New York Times and thought it was a wonderful rite of passage!
My boys would have loved it!
I hope they keep it up!

I'm with Peregrina2000 by the way when it comes to people in the USA and their irrational fears. What happened to us? I rode the train alone at age 5, played out until dark my whole life, and so did my children. I walked to kindergarten with my 3 friends, about a mile and a half, so did my children. We are fed so much FEAR on the internet and television I think it addles people's brains. It's depressing, really...

What's the fuss?

Bob M
Ditto as a 15-16yo in Venturers for my QS

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The article makes it sound as if this is a Dutch tradition. Maybe if your kids are scouts (mine weren't) but otherwise not.

I never was a scout, but I remember being part of several droppings like this, in the forest and late at night. I was maybe 14, 15 years old, it was just a part of the programme when we were away on a school class weekend. Nothing to get worried about....

Loved this comment to the article though:
When I was six, my parents dropped me in the middle of nowhere. Being Dutch, I had made survival skills of course, so I killed a rabbit and cooked it. Then I used the stars to find my way home.
Pretty standard in the Netherlands. Highly recommend it!

I think it is an "orienteering" program in some countries. Participant uses a map provided by the event organizer and a compass to find their way out.

I recall hearing from a friend, while a freshman in college in the mid-70's, that his fraternity "pledge" hazing included such a rural drop-off.

I'm not sure clothing was involved, however.

I recall hearing from a friend, while a freshman in college in the mid-70's, that his fraternity "pledge" hazing included such a rural drop-off.

I'm not sure clothing was involved, however.
At WSU that was definitely the case in my fraternity. Dropped off alone at night in a vast, barren, snow covered Palouse, and told to find a white cross.These days, I just chase rainbows, and hang out in La Mancha with my buddy, Don—tilting...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My kids have been able to navigate, locate (and purify) water, identify food sources and cook them if needed, start a fire, etc since they were 8-9. The trick is to maintain the skills.

We are American and while I grew up this way, it is not the norm.

I am frightened at being in the forest at night in the dark. It spooks me...no thanks. Every summer we tent camped with our kids when they were young, often in remote areas. I hated getting up to walk to the bathroom middle of night...it was scary for me. I became overly sensitive to noises and every cracking twig or rustling in the bushes I heard outside was magnified and became a mountain lion or a bear coming near. My fears never improved, just saying...we are all different.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a beautiful example from a Japanese film project, to find out just how competent children are, when left to do an errand in an urban enviroment.
A film enthusiast club participated in as much as they documented what two very young girls said and did as they where told to do an errand for grandad, to bring out his luncheon box for him.
A new camera amateur stood at every street corner and followed w candid camera at knee height their every move...
As they went down the road , on a familiar route, they communicated on what to do and commented on the many temptations they met.
Beautiful docu....from years and years ago..

I don't suppose you can remember the name of this Japanese film? I would love to see that!

Davey

According an article in the New York Times the Dutch have a scouting tradition called 'dropping' by which children are left in the forest at night and have to find their own way back to base.
Being Dutch, I can clarify this matter.

It's true, the Dutch like to drop children in the middle of nowhere after sunset and leave them (on their own and unattend) to find their way back. Especially with children which we, for whatever reason, would like to get rid off.

In most cases however, the children will return after some time. Luckily, since two years, the wolf has returned to the Netherlands in the wild and started reproducing. So it looks like it's here to stay.

Need I say that the request for 'droppings' has increased dramatically since? So far there haven't been reports of children not finding their way back, but we're very hopeful .........

€60,-
;) I'm so sorry, but don't take everything that's written for real, whether it's about the Dutch or other nationalities/cultures.

So, going back to the speculation my stepfather did not want me to return from Sauk Lake (# 20 above), I'm now reminded there are many many Dutch people who settled in this area from the Netherlands: cows, tulips, cheese, even windmills—the works! Did my step-father hang out with the Roosengardes, the Zugelders, the DeGoedes, and become influenced by stories of what their parents did to them? I guess I'll never know, so I'll revel in the fact I am still here. Was his a failed mission or mine a triumph of survival in the wilderness (or dumb luck ;) )

Oh, by the way, not dropping my boys off in the woods to find their way home has had no ill effect as adults. One has walked 1000 miles of the Appalachian Trail, 200+ on the John Muir Trail and the 400+ mile Colorado Trail in the United States. He planned and mailed off his food drops/pickups, purchased all equipment for backpacking including a required bear canister, and purified water out of sometimes brown stagnant ponds. The Caminos are very easy for him. The other son has walked the camino, hikes in the mountains and travels often. He was a refueling jet pilot in the US Air Force reserves for 15 years, and now organizes the same.
All that to say that "to drop" or "not to drop" often has no bearing on the capabilities or personality traits of our offspring...at least it's been my experience.

I'm with Peregrina2000 by the way when it comes to people in the USA and their irrational fears. What happened to us? I rode the train alone at age 5, played out until dark my whole life, and so did my children. I walked to kindergarten with my 3 friends, about a mile and a half, so did my children. We are fed so much FEAR on the internet and television I think it addles people's brains. It's depressing, really...
We need more free range children, I say! My children are at least as smart as chickens.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.