• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • Please see this announcement regarding the Corona virus and the Camino (posted March 13t). Please also check with your government for any travel restrictions. We have also opened a thread with "Special Announcements and Advisories".
  • We have a new section of the forum that is for anouncing upcoming Forum Zoom Chats. Check it for times and dates and join us if you are interested and can make it. Looking forward to seeing you there. Stay safe! Ivar
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Dutch peregrinas hit by car in Leon

2020 Camino Guides

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
I met another peregrina in Santiago who was there and saw this happen and was very shaken up. The two women were walking in (or out of) Leon when they were struck by a car.One died and the other is in critical condition in a Spanish hospital.

Please be careful and walk defensively. I think motor vehicles pose the biggest risk to pilgrims on the Camino.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
I sent this along to a Dutch friend, also a forum member, and a Pilgrim Office volunteer, who can get it to the Dutch Association for whatever assistance or action they deem appropriate.

This is indeed sad.

Summer is upon us... literally today. PLEASE be extra careful out there. DO NOT Assume the other fellow can see you.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Walk defensively and listen as much as you look. You can hear the approach of a car from a fair distance away and take appropriate action to get off the shoulder etc as much as possible, or when getting ready to cross a roadway.
That is just one reason why I do not recommend that pilgrims walk with music headphones on, or walk with music playing from a speaker.

Derrybiketours

A journey of 500 miles begins with one step!
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdeP-SANT-FIN (09/2018)
PORTO-SANT (11/2018)
Caminho Da Fe, BR (01/2019)
SJPdeP- SANT (09/2019)
Very Sad. I walked with Paddy my 6'0 staff and used it as a visual barrier when walking along road verge and always walked towards uncoming traffic. On more than one occasion I used it to warn other Pilgrims who were oblivious to the risk and walk around aimlessly, weaving on the road, listening to music and walking side by side. Advice in busy traffic, remove earphones, keep phone in pocket, wear bright clothing ie colourful poncho, walk in single file, walk as close as possible to verge in direction of uncoming traffic, keep eyes on traffic, stay alert. Try to anticipate if driver looks to be as alert and try to look ahead for a safe place to stand further from traffic until it passes. In clear and present danger follow your gut, it's your instinct for survival and could save your life 🙏

MinaKamina

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
Show some respect to these women.

They had nowhere to go once the driver lost control of the car and hit them on the small pavement at the exit of the tunnel.

Picture of the location:

Where could they possibly have gone?

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)

They had nowhere to go once the driver lost control of the car and hit them on the small pavement at the exit of the tunnel.

Picture of the location:

I do not see any disrespect for these unfortunate women, just a number of pilgrims hoping that their suggestions of actions for others walking the pilgrim routes might help them remain safe.

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
...Please be careful and walk defensively. I think motor vehicles pose the biggest risk to...
Oh, @JillGat ...how emotional this must have been! It appears more and more that, auto accidents take the lives of so many Worldwide.
@MinaKamina, I hear your anger and can only offer you a virtual embrace. Sometimes, there is no where to go...which is why we label 'accidents', as such.
((( ♥ )))

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times

Picture of the location:

Nobody is showing disrespect and the advice is not a criticism towards them, and that specific incident, but is instead intended for overall awareness when walking the Camino, or anywhere, in the vicinity of automobile traffic.

MinaKamina

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
Oh, @JillGat ...how emotional this must have been! It appears more and more that, auto accidents take the lives of so many Worldwide.
@MinaKamina, I hear your anger and can only offer you a virtual embrace. Sometimes, there is no where to go...which is why we label 'accidents', as such.
((( ♥ )))
Thank you. I will take the big hug if I may. There but for the grace of God ..... if they had been minutes earlier or later, they would have trodded on.
The place is dangerous for everyone, they want to make it safer now, the locals pass there too,

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Apr 2018 Asturias
That must be a cultural thing then, because none of the above would have saved them.
Yes, dear one...dangerous indeed. We must be as vigilant as possible no matter where our feet carry us on this beautiful planet. It takes all of our senses just to get through an ordinary day. @MinaKamina, I don't believe it has anything to do with one's culture. Darlin', it was an 'accident'....if I read correctly, the driver 'lost control'. This is a horrible outcome for all involved.
May God bring you to a place of peace and acceptance. Death is not easy for the majority of us.

Derrybiketours

Camino(s) past & future
PORTO-SANT (11/2018)
SJPdeP- SANT (09/2019)
To clarify, I did not mean to cause offence or be disrespectful to the tragic accident and life lost. The first two words of my response 'very sad' is acknowledging my intention at this tragic loss. The remainder of my response is instinctive need to share my advice to others that might read this. Sometimes words are not enough and accidents happen despite control measures that's why unfortunately their 'terrible accidents' but it's also a lesson to the hazard's that unfortunately exist in everyday life and the Camino is no exception 🙏

Last edited:

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
I sent this along to a Dutch friend, also a forum member, and a Pilgrim Office volunteer, who can get it to the Dutch Association for whatever assistance or action they deem appropriate.

This is indeed sad.

Summer is upon us... literally today. PLEASE be extra careful out there. DO NOT Assume the other fellow can see you.
Thank you Tom ,
The accident happend more than 2 weeks ago , the Dutch association knows .
It was on the FB page also.
It was and is very sad news.
Stay safe , Peter.

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Sad news..............RIP peregrina!

Another thought along the safety lines............Please do not wear ear buds or any kind of noise canceling devices in your ears while you are walking. As a matter of safety utilize all of your senses.

Kimtom

reformed elf
Camino(s) past & future
Frances on bike (2014)
Frances on foot (2019)

Picture of the location:

Respect for these women might be this: a great tragedy befell them. There was no way for them to have averted it. Many forum members offer advise that is good in and of itself but has nothing to do with the situation these women found themselves in. Honor the women by holding them in your heart and grieving for them in what actually happened. Don’t reduce them to a lesson, especially one that would not have saved them or anyone else in that situation.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Nobody is showing disrespect and the advice is not a criticism towards them, and that specific incident, but is instead intended for overall awareness when walking the Camino, or anywhere, in the vicinity of automobile traffic.
I suspect that most commenters, including me, did not have the benefit of a photo of the scene of the incident, as you did. They meant well. I know I did.

We all mourn this senseless loss. In the end, it does not matter. An innocent life was taken.

This grief shall pass.

Everyone, be well...

Charles Zammit

Camino(s) past & future
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
I have just completed the Via Francigena from well before Aosta to Rome . I lost count of the near misses and times I felt my sleeve tugged by side mirrors. Yet I can only imagine the terror these women experienced . The roadside is a cruel place to die , God Bless and keep them both.

PK Smit

Camino(s) past & future
(015)Irun to Santiago
(017)Lisboa to S
2018Caminha to Santiago
(2018) Camino English Ferrol Santiago
I met another peregrina in Santiago who was there and saw this happen and was very shaken up. The two women were walking in (or out of) Leon when they were struck by a car.One died and the other is in critical condition in a Spanish hospital.

Please be careful and walk defensively. I think motor vehicles pose the biggest risk to pilgrims on the Camino.
Seeing some pilgrims' behaviour and disrespect for trafic rules make me disagree with your last statement

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
Think about all the "close calls" we, collectively, have had in our lives. We've learned that life hangs by a thread; we never know when it will be our turn, and the older we get the more each moment we have on this earth is cherished. Condolences to the family, friends, and the Peregrina hiking companion of the lady whose life was sadly taken. And, yes, sympathy to the young driver who will live with this for the rest of his life.

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
Very Sad. I walked with Paddy my 6'0 staff and used it as a visual barrier when walking along road verge and always walked towards uncoming traffic. On more than one occasion I used it to warn other Pilgrims who were oblivious to the risk and walk around aimlessly, weaving on the road, listening to music and walking side by side. Advice in busy traffic, remove earphones, keep phone in pocket, wear bright clothing ie colourful poncho, walk in single file, walk as close as possible to verge in direction of uncoming traffic, keep eyes on traffic, stay alert. Try to anticipate if driver looks to be as alert and try to look ahead for a safe place to stand further from traffic until it passes. In clear and present danger follow your gut, it's your instinct for survival and could save your life 🙏
This was not their fault at all. No way they could avoid it if you read entire accounts of what happened

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018

That is such tragedy for all involved. I feel most for the victims and their families. It just doesn't bare thinking about what they must be going through. So sad, so horribly tragic.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Definitely some misguided anger and criticism on this thread towards other who's posts were not meant to be offensive, insensitive or disrespectful towards the victims of the incident.
That anger and criticism and the energy involved with it would be better directed towards action. Perhaps volunteering or working on various ways to improve pedestrian safety anywhere. Anybody, literally anybody can type out a comment on a forum, but very few actually take action.

Derrybiketours

Camino(s) past & future
PORTO-SANT (11/2018)
SJPdeP- SANT (09/2019)
This was not their fault at all. No way they could avoid it if you read entire accounts of what happened
@gloria lowe Has someone implied it was their fault and with respect if you read the entire thread specifically post #13 you would have read the follow-up. I can understand that you could have missed it so just to reiterate...
To clarify, I did not mean to cause offence or be disrespectful to the tragic accident and life lost. The first two words of my response 'very sad' is acknowledging my intention at this tragic loss. The remainder of my response is instinctive need to share my advice to others that might read this. Sometimes words are not enough and accidents happen despite control measures that's why unfortunately their 'terrible accidents' but it's also a lesson to the hazard's that unfortunately exist in everyday life and the Camino is no exception 🙏

davebugg

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2017)
Frances(2018)
Ingles(2019)
Aragones(2020)
Portuguese(2020)
If phrases like: "They should have", or "Why didn't they", or "They needed to" were used in a post, then I might think there was a criticism of the victims. I might have missed something, but I don't recall seeing any of that in any of the posts in this thread.

I didn't think any of the posts was critical of the victims.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
In the field of Health Behavior, it is well established that just providing information or "education" does little to influence positive behavior change. But a number of effective motivators have been identified. One is when there is an increase in the sense of "susceptibility." When an illness or injury happens to somebody you have something in common with - like another walker on the Camino, in this case - it can bring increased awareness, a sense of vulnerability to the rest of us and actually influence a change in our behavior. We know this principal instinctively, which is why we tend to couple condolences with safety advice. Not to blame the victims or suggest they could have done something to avoid it, but because this tragedy might make us all more mindful of our own vulnerability when walking near traffic. I know since hearing about this terrible event, even thought it was a freak accident that the walkers could not have prevented, I have been much more aware and careful around traffic.

Has there been an update on the other woman?

Marc S.

Camino(s) past & future
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
No, as far as I know (I have not read anything in the Dutch media or the Dutch association website & facebook group). Let us hope for the best.

davebugg

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2017)
Frances(2018)
Ingles(2019)
Aragones(2020)
Portuguese(2020)
In the field of Health Behavior, it is well established that just providing information or "education" does little to influence positive behavior change. But a number of effective motivators have been identified. One is when there is an increase in the sense of "susceptibility." When an illness or injury happens to somebody you have something in common with - like another walker on the Camino, in this case - it can bring increased awareness, a sense of vulnerability to the rest of us and actually influence a change in our behavior. We know this principal instinctively, which is why we tend to couple condolences with safety advice. Not to blame the victims or suggest they could have done something to avoid it, but because this tragedy might make us all more mindful of our own vulnerability when walking near traffic. I know since hearing about this terrible event, even thought it was a freak accident that the walkers could not have prevented, I have been much more aware and careful around traffic.

Excellent analysis/insight, Jill. :)

petro

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2008 April/May) (2011 May/June) (2014 May/June), Camino Primitivo (May 2016)
No, as far as I know (I have not read anything in the Dutch media or the Dutch association website & facebook group). Let us hope for the best.
Hello, I am Joyce, I am the sister in law of the peregrina, who is still in the hospital in Leon. She is OK, she has had 2 operations because of severe wounds. She is confused and very sad because of the death of her friend. Recovery will take a long time. We, in Holland went to the funeral of our beloved friend and it was really sad. We will never forget her! If everything will go well, my sister in law will come to Holland next week. Thank you for you attention!

Hi everybody - Joyce is my camino friend, we met in Spain walking the CF in 2014. I let her use my account to post an update on her sister in law as I thought that this should be done by a family member. Joyce joined me this year in Bolsena in Italy on my walk from Lucca to Rome. We returned to Joyce's home in Holland from Rome and a few days later this terrible accident happened. The injuries her sister in law sustained were horrific . Her recovery up to now is nothing short of a miracle. Her physical and mental recovery will take a long time.
This incident made me realize what a blessing it is that we can return to our homes unscathed. It is not something to be taken for granted.

Petro

Last edited:

Marc S.

Camino(s) past & future
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
Hello Joyce. Thank you for your message. My sincere condolences for loosing your friend. I am relieved to read that your sister in law is OK (considering the circumstances), though realizing this must be a very traumatic experience for her. It is almost impossible to comprehend. I am wishing you all the best, and wishing your sister in law all the best in her recovery.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
Joyce, I can only imagine the pain and grief you, and everyone else in your circle of family and friends, are enduring at this moment. I am so sorry. Many of us have been following the tragic incident from the time it was first reported. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on the forum. Best wishes, John

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Apr 2018 Asturias
@petro
Joyce, thank you so very much for updating us with your post. Please let your sister-in-law know that you all have my prayer for comfort, strength and perseverance. ❤

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
We, in Holland went to the funeral of our beloved friend and it was really sad. We will never forget her! If everything will go well, my sister in law will come to Holland next week.
Oh, so much suffering.
Our hearts and prayers are with you, Joyce, and the whole family and loving friends of these two peregrinas.
It is a relief to know your sister-in-law is on the mend. May she heal well, in body, heart, and spirit...

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Hello, I am Joyce, I am the sister in law of the peregrina, who is still in the hospital in Leon. She is OK, she has had 2 operations because of severe wounds. She is confused and very sad because of the death of her friend. Recovery will take a long time. We, in Holland went to the funeral of our beloved friend and it was really sad. We will never forget her! If everything will go well, my sister in law will come to Holland next week. Thank you for you attention!
Hi Joyce,
Please let your sister in law know that we think of her and her friend as members of our community, and are so personally saddened about this. I can't imagine what she is going through, mourning the loss of her friend while dealing with serious injuries and hospitalized in another country. I hope she goes home soon!! Tell her we are rooting for her. Jill

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 189 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 151 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock