• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Duty, Obligation and Responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pattii

I am not sure if this will end up being a thread or not but I was troubled by something that was said in one of the threads. It was stated that duty obligation and responsibility are not in the forum moderators rules therefore we are exempt from having to exercise them in this forum ...or at least that was my understanding of the post.

I don't know about other countries but in Canada we have Tort laws. These laws literally say we have a duty obligation and responsibility to everyone and everything around us. Everything. If I am driving and I pass a sidewalk or a stop sign or a person or another car I have a duty obligation and responsibility to each and every one of them. Tort laws are very important because they govern our behaviour towards one another and both public and private property.

In an open forum duty obligation and responsiblity most certainly do apply regardless if they are stated in the moderators rules or not. The same applies on any forum anywhere. They apply in life. Period. Everyone... and I mean everyone...has a duty obligation and responsibility to everyone and everything else on the planet. Truth does not have to be agreed with to be truth. The bottom line is MOST problems with our world ...from war to pollution... come from a lack of consideration and accountability towards each other and this world we inhabit. If we took our duty obligations and responsibilities towards each other and our planet seriously the world would be a very different place. Sometimes we really should sweat the details...down to the tiniest lepton.

To me the idea of a pilgrimage indicates a need to be aware of not only whats going on inside myself but to see the world around me through new eyes and to see others ...even if they are not aware...as though they are a fellow pilgrim. It is a journey both inside and out. I also believe the Camino starts right where we are. For some of us including me that is on this forum. I would never write anything on here that I could not say in front of any of you. I take a lot of time thinking about what I will say or write and try to make sure I am not complicating issues or upsetting people just for the heck of it. I try not to rebut with mean words and a stubborn heart. And I try to think twice and to reread before I hit the post button.

I believe and adhere to personal censorship. This applies even if there are no rules in place to censor me. There is power in words both spoken and written. Words can cut or they can heal. They can bind or release. They can lift up or tear down. We have a duty and an obligation to be responsible with them.

This all in my humble opinion

Pattii

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Pattii.
I read the post you are talking about and felt at the time that I disagreed with the OP. I have seen a few threads where pilgrims were really harsh with one another and I could see no reasons for the retort that was given. I don't feel any forum should be overly moderated to allow for freedom of expressing ideas and thoughts. However, I believe that if we approach each new post with the thought of 'duty, obligation and responsibility' in mind, then I believe we can still differ with one another in opinion, but will be respectful of one another while we do so.

The earlier thread was not locked because Terry graciously said goodbye.
Think about it.
Buen Camino
Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When we talk about "duty, obligation, and responsibility" it often evolves into attempts to enforce those actions on others rather than limiting it to what is "my" duty, obligation, and responsibility. This leads to judging, demands....contention and divisions.

This forum for years operated without any rules; it was a site that was focused on one thing - the Camino. No one cared for about any other topic; we came here to discuss the Camino; to assist others and to look for answers.

If you feel a duty, obligation, or responsibility then understand that it is personal. Your neighbor may feel the same things, but it may not be the same subset of moral commitments or social paradigms. Those that walk the Way are diverse; it is not a homogeneous group of Christians (if that ever existed), there is a wide range of humanity. The Forum will be used by this diverse group and some will be very different from some others. Ignore the things that may offend; admire and compliment that which inspires.

I am reminded of a few verses in the Bible: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. I think people can learn from that bit of wisdom regardless of what religious leanings or persuasions they may have. It can be an expectation of self, but it should not be an expectation of others.

Pattii, are you refering to the goodbey topic from Terry?
I can see that this initial message from Tery did shock many forum members, especially because he was a very appriciated member.
As a result, many people did reflect on the forum and on their own input.

To me, this forum is a beauitiful place where pilgrims share and learn. I sense all the very, very positive energy going around, so many responsible people! All your input is one of the brilliant examples of that. I personally do not see the need of discussing Duty, Obligation and Responsibility.
So, I'm indeed very surprised by the upcoming of this topic. I really cannot see that, but maybe it is because my non-sensitiveness.

It would help me if anyone can be more specific about what input exactly makes us discussing this?
I really like Ivar's attitude on this: "I have always thought the best thing is not have as little moderation as possible since "we are all grown ups", right?"

Discussing this topic leaves a general feeling that there is something wrong on this forum. To me it is not fair and not true.
If you or me do not like a specific input, let's talk about that specific subject, nothing else. We are all grown ups, right?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you MichaelB10398 for that brilliant response, it reminded, amongst other things, that the IGNORE button is always an option we all have.

Dear all,

Since this is a continuation of a discussion that we had in another thread.. that was locked, I will lock this one as well. Just because I think we should move on and focus on what this forum is for... sharing and helping pilgrims plan their camino, share camino related information.

Please feel free to continue this conversation by PM.

Greetings from a rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.