• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dysentery from fountains?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
in another thread, someone referenced cases of dysentery from village foutains ( these were apparently labeled potable). Since many threads link to older posts, I can't remember who the poster was or which thread.
Is this true? Can we not trust fountains?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In eight Caminos, the only trouble I ever had was from a rural standpipe. The fountains were wonderful and welcome all the way.

There are two cases where I do not drink from fountains. 1). If they are marked 'non-potable' and 2) if it is raining so hard the streams are running brown. Otherwise, I drink from them and have never had any problems.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Gastrointestinal bugs are as likely to come from the uncleaned tubes and reservists of your hydration pack than from fountains.
Of course common sense dictates that if the fountain says its not potable don't drink it--and if you have a water bladder, the same common sense says to make sure you clean it out from time to time, especially if you put things in that aren't water.

More as like you get dysentery from food prepared by someone who didn't wash their hands properly or from flies who landed on it.

Yes you can get ill from fountain water if it is somehow contaminated .. (ie by someone using it to wash their face etc ... poor wilderness ethics around the drinking supply) but normally that is not the case.

If the water supply was tainted, everyone would be sick.
This "bad water" nonsense goes on and on... but tainted fountains sound so much more romantic than an intestinal virus spread among pilgrims.
I've lived in one of those "bad Meseta water" areas for years now, and I'm not dead yet. I feel pretty good most of the time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Drink! Some of the small villages can not afford to pay for the water monthly inspection so......they put a sign no portable. Guardia come from your hand to mouth etc!!!!

I would agree with the above. I drank from them (marked potable) all the time and suffered no ill effects

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I drank from the potable fountains everyday on the CF and never had any ill effects. I even drank from one marked non-potable (not recommended).
I wouldn't give it any thought.

I noticed when I crossed the border into Galicia that fountains were no longer marked "agua potable," or any version of this in Galego. I don't know why this was so, but I did not drink the water.

This "bad water" nonsense goes on and on... but tainted fountains sound so much more romantic than an intestinal virus spread among pilgrims.

I got giardiasis, a form of dysentery, on my last camino. It seems likely that I acquired it in the Sorian uplands, or possibly in Aragón - it can, and in my case did, take several weeks to incubate, so I have no idea whether I got it from water or from food. It is highly unlikely that I got it from another pilgrim, as I saw none between the Mediterranean and Burgos. Recent studies suggest that it is one of the reasons the Christians lost the Crusades, as it appears to have been endemic in the invading armies.

In the UK it is a notifiable disease, but so far my case has proved resistant to two doses of antibiotics, and I am currently on a course of albendazole, which the local microbiologist hopes will finally get rid of the little beasties for me. I was fortunate in that I suffered relatively few ill-effects from it; my wife, whom I infected on my return from Spain, was much less fortunate, and has suggested that I leave any passengers behind on my next pilgrimage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got giardiasis, a form of dysentery, on my last camino. It seems likely that I acquired it in the Sorian uplands, or possibly in Aragón - it can, and in my case did, take several weeks to incubate, so I have no idea whether I got it from water or from food. It is highly unlikely that I got it from another pilgrim, as I saw none between the Mediterranean and Burgos. Recent studies suggest that it is one of the reasons the Christians lost the Crusades, as it appears to have been endemic in the invading armies.

In the UK it is a notifiable disease, but so far my case has proved resistant to two doses of antibiotics, and I am currently on a course of albendazole, which the local microbiologist hopes will finally get rid of the little beasties for me. I was fortunate in that I suffered relatively few ill-effects from it; my wife, whom I infected on my return from Spain, was much less fortunate, and has suggested that I leave any passengers behind on my next pilgrimage.

I attended the Marc Grossman's excellent "Camino Downunder" seminar and he recommended we feel safe about drinking water from all (potable) fountains everywhere EXCEPT GALICIA. I think he said that there could be water contamination from the cows in that region.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed when I crossed the border into Galicia that fountains were no longer marked "agua potable," or any version of this in Galego. I don't know why this was so, but I did not drink the water.
I'm sure that on all my CF's I drank from public fountains marked potable between O'Cebreiro and Santiago. I don't recall any specifics, but since I'm drinking at least 3 liters a day while walking I have to refill and hydrate at the public fountains.

The stomach problems that most pilgrims suffer from is due to the combination of not eating properly and over drinking cheap wine than the water from fountains along the Camino.

Ondo Ibili !

MendiWalker
I think you have identified a more likely source :)
Buen Camino and stay healthy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The bulk of stomach complaints (and others) come from insufficient hand washing. Most of us along the Camino have to urinate and defecate 'wild' and are unable to wash our hands correctly. This is a far more likely to be the source of unwelcome bugs than anything we imbibe deliberately.

I agree bunnymac. I battled a bad case of intestinal flu in May for a week. 'Pretty hard to say where it came from, and I ran a fever on and off for 4-5 days. I figured it was from all the bathrooms that had no soap along The Way. I drank from fountains marked potable and also filled at cafes. Carrying hand sanitizer and using it religiously is a good idea. Getting sick is a bad way to waste a week of a great experience.

In Galego is very similar "auga potable".
"Agua/Auga potable" means that the water is treated with chlorine.
In Galicia many fountains are out of the water public service, because there are plenty of old fountains.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I attended the Marc Grossman's excellent "Camino Downunder" seminar and he recommended we feel safe about drinking water from all (potable) fountains everywhere EXCEPT GALICIA. I think he said that there could be water contamination from the cows in that region.

I am Galego and in Galicia I am confident drinking from any fountain marked as "Potable". In other case, I drink if the fountain is not surrounded by meadows and I see locals drinking. Yes, it is true that in Galiica there are fountains contaminated from cows in the vecinity of meadows, but if the fountain is marked as "Potable" the water is from the public service, therefor it is treated and probably comes from a source or a dam located several kms away.

a filter water bottle seems a good idea

3953886_R_Z001A

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I've had a bit of experience with all number of gastrointestinal bugs in Asia, and they can be bacterial, viral or parasitic. Some (like giardia) have specific symptoms but it's hard to tell what you've got without a stool sample. But as Alan's experience shows--and others here have described--it is all too easy to spread many of these infections around. So taking care of your hygiene if you get sick is essential; otherwise those around you will be at risk. And if you're not sick, hand-washing is just as important. Think of it as you do a respiratory illness--the transmission is often hand to hand.
Giardia is often water-borne, at least initially--hence the care around water sources near fields and cows. But it goes very easily from person to person:
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/infection-sources.html

No need to panic or get fearful--just take good care of your hygiene and use common sense precautions around what you eat and drink.
One thing I swear by is a good probiotic, taken daily. It populates the GI tract, leaving less habitat for the bad bugs. It definitely works for me as a preventative.

... I feel pretty good most of the time!
I feel pretty good most of the time also. The rest of the time I just feel old. I never thought to blame that on the water, but that sounds better than facing the calendar.

But seriously, my wife had a couple of bouts with intestinal problems, both of which followed a lunch of that tuna empenada that you see sitting out on the counter in nearly every bar. I must have a cast iron stomach, because it didn't bother me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used a water bottle with a very large filter down the centre. The bottle itself is actually a bag which collapses flat so takes up almost no room when not in use. The filter was advertised as being heavy duty/super safe. I had read a story on this forum about a case of dysentery. That was enough to prompt me to play it safe.

At the wine fountain near Pamplona, I saw a woman bend over backwards and clamp her mouth to the spigot to drink. Hands were not washed often enough as many would admit. Mine included. Too many negatives including heavy rain.

Last two Caminos I did get seriously ill, but water/fuentes was my last thought I blamed poor eating. Buying hard boiled eggs off the counter in O'Ceibrio also salamis not kept chilled and milk used in café con leche can be straight from the cow. I did complete these caminos but suffered in many ways having to walk in isolation booking private rooms etc. Also walking long stretches and basically getting heat stroke - marathon walker/ runners cramps

More vino tinto and less agua

Good nourishment is the basis to have a healthy immune system which is the basis to avoid infections. From caries to flu, otitis, athlete's foot, cold, ringworm or gastroenteritis. (Obviously, hygiene helps)

Anyway, for those who don't trust in spanish water, there are pills to kill bacteria.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the fountains worry you....simply buy bottle water. It crazy cheap.
I have no problems with water from fountains in Spain that are marked.
The " bad water" has become an uneducated Camino myth.

I agree with Reb that the water/fountains is the first thing blamed whenever anyone has a spot of trouble....even though no one else is sick.
Tainted water would affect a wide number of people in an area...not just one or two.

Look to other culprits.

Gastrointestinal bugs are as likely to come from the uncleaned tubes and reservists of your hydration pack than from fountains.
Of course common sense dictates that if the fountain says its not potable don't drink it--and if you have a water bladder, the same common sense says to make sure you clean it out from time to time, especially if you put things in that aren't water.
Good point @Viranani

Keeping your water bottle/bladder clean is an important part of walking routine. We keep denture tablets for this purpose especially when we use bladders with tubing. I always have a cover for the bite valve as this often ends up accumulating all sorts of nasties along the Way.

I used my old faithful Nalgene bottle with cheerful spill guard on our Camino:

nalgene_smile.jpg

Last two Caminos I did get seriously ill, but water/fuentes was my last thought I blamed poor eating. Buying hard boiled eggs off the counter in O'Ceibrio also salamis not kept chilled and milk used in café con leche can be straight from the cow. I did complete these caminos but suffered in many ways having to walk in isolation booking private rooms etc. Also walking long stretches and basically getting heat stroke - marathon walker/ runners cramps

More vino tinto and less agua

Milk straight from the cow in a café con leche I think is a crime in Spain and in the UE. Furthermore, milk is so cheap that I dare to say that it would be much more expensive the situation of milking the cow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can we not trust fountains?
You can bring along a light-weight water filter with you be be sure of being safe. Here are two to look at:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Water-Filter-Reviews/LifeStraw
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Water-Filter-Reviews/Sawyer-Mini

Although we had the Sawyer Mini with us on the CF (we had planned to do some backpacking post-camino) we never used it. Even a fountain with a sign saying that the water quality wasn't guaranteed was fine (the locals used it.)

I recommend the Mini. I bought it to supplement our carried water on day hikes but it is so light and works so well we ditched our larger water filter and for 5 days on the Appalachian Trail this spring we just used the Mini.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Was probably me, in an earlier post. i have this news from a fellow italian, it seems to be accurate. If i can get a hold of him i'll let you know the location of the suspicious area. Several people got sick, and their camino ended there. When they were at the hospital the doctors who made the prognosis seemed to know immediately what the problem was (as if it had already happened b4) and asked if they had drank from fountains along the way. It was the water they said.
Now, i would say fountains are generally safe 99% of the time, however, this news is confirmed. It surely isn't everywhere, but it is safe to assume that it is something that can happen. I use a sawyer mini, or a lifestraw in any case. It's a habit :)

Take some water purification tablets with you. No weight ....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bars have water taps, often with chilled water, and they have always been willing to fill a bottle when I have asked. There are so many causes of stomach upset that I would blame bad water last (except if it came from one of those horse troughs or trailside ground sources). Carrying unnecessary treatment items is worth it only if it gives you peace of mind. I have a light weight Steripen, which I have rarely carried and never used.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
water purification tablets are not good for you in the long run (a month). U can either get a sawyer mini filter and refill your bottles or bladder with it (bottles screw right into it). The other option is to get a Lifestraw Go. It uses a nalgene type of canteen with a structural matrix filter integrated into it. Works great and the flow is better than the sawyer. By using it you can do without plastic disposable bottles. weight is minimum. I attach a pic to give you an idea.

Attachments

• 20160703_113313 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20160703_113313 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 9
Do whatever you do at home. I drink Spanish tap water without hesitation. I am a tiny bit suspicious of fountains, whether in Canada, Spain or any other country, in case the hygienic conditions are not ideal.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To anyone reading this who has not walked the Camino Frances yet, I think I can safely say you can safely drink from the potable water fountains all along the Way. Don't be put off by this thread. Actually my best advice is to ignore this thread.
Pilgrims drink out of the fountains everyday and don't get sick.
And on the subject of bottled water, I do not recommend buying and drinking from everyday on the Camino (or anywhere) bottled water. I say that because of the negative impact on the environment those plastic bottles have. Bring your own bottles or buy a couple of them when you start the Camino and just keep refilling them all the way to SJPdP or wherever you are stopping.

I am Galego and in Galicia I am confident drinking from any fountain marked as "Potable". In other case, I drink if the fountain is not surrounded by meadows and I see locals drinking. Yes, it is true that in Galiica there are fountains contaminated from cows in the vecinity of meadows, but if the fountain is marked as "Potable" the water is from the public service, therefor it is treated and probably comes from a source or a dam located several kms away.

Thank you for clarifying that - good to hear from a local!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At the Font de Roland on the first day in the Pyrenees, I stopped to drink and fill my water bottle, but it was just dribbling out of the spigot. I noticed a valve box cover just behind the font and took it off. The pipe was broken in half and the valve box was full of water than was draining from the grassy hillside. There were sheep on the hillside. Instantly, I thought, "That's it, my Camino will be over tomorrow", since I had ingested about a pint of hillside sheep water already. Nothing happened.

Then, in a town about 10 days into the Camino, I stopped at a marvelous fountain that was gushing clear, cold water. I drank heavily and filled my bottles. Then, I walked to the other side of the fountain and saw the sign, "No Potable". Again, I thought, "My Camino will be over in a day or two." Nothing happened.

All along The Way, I drank heavily from town fountains and from the taps without issue. I tried to avoid questionable or clearly labeled water sources. Maybe I was lucky, but had no problems and the water was delicious. I did see several cases of dehydration among Pilgrims. They were mild and manifested themselves as cramps, nausea, confusion, and weakness. You really must hydrate more than you think is necessary, and it still sneaks up on you, especially if you have wine in the evenings. Buen Camino!

a filter water bottle seems a good idea

3953886_R_Z001A
This has active charcoal in an amount whose protection is purely anecdotal, may slightly improve taste. But that's it, not worth the stretch. Lifestraw GO or sawyer are certified to stop gyardia, escherichia-coli, colera, tifus, salmonella, shygella....etc...etc...

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back