• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dyslexic.... are the camino routes possible with no gps? Dyslexic, bad with technology but do you think a possibility would be using a book?

This is the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan for September
I'm dyslexic, not very good at anything apart from getting lost and completely beginner map and gps I got on my phone.
is it possible to learn all this up in a week before I go - my flight is a week today (Saturday)
is there a uk GPS ap and map similar to the app and map for the Camino?

have done a hiking trail in Scotland with nothing but a guide book.

doing my first camino primitive and the northern route starting next week

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm dyslexic, not very good at anything apart from getting lost and completely beginner map and gps I got on my phone.
is it possible to learn all this up in a week before I go - my flight is a week today (Saturday)

Hola!

I think you will have no problem finding your way especially on Camino Frances. The signage is so frequent that it's almost littering the route :)
But maybe you should be more specific which route you want to walk?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!!

Thank you
Camino del Norte from Irun - northern route Ribedeu - Santiago de Compostela

then bus back to St John pied de porte to Santiago the Frances way finishing around December / January

I want to be away for about 3 - 5 months

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi!!

Thank you
Camino del Norte from Irun - northern route Ribedeu - Santiago de Compostela

then bus back to St John pied de porte to Santiago the Frances way finishing around December / January

I want to be away for about 3 - 5 months
Wow, that will be THE Camino :)You will have no problems coming from UK.
Wish you all the best!!!

Hola!

I think you will have no problem finding your way especially on Camino Frances. The signage is so frequent that it's almost littering the route :)
But maybe you should be more specific which route you want to walk?
No need for GPS. Just use your guide book and watch for the yellow arrows.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Just find yourself a German travelling companion. They come with digital maps, annotated guide books, fully briefed and aware of each days journey. They are never lost, panicked or uncertain. Fully connected to the interweb gives them extra confidence.They have actually read everything they can, consulted with experts and booked each night ahead. You don’t have to engage all that much. I normally pose a question and have an answer reasonably quickly. It’s cheap and you don’t have to worry about security or losing anything, if you do lose your way, just find another German. They turn up regularly along the Camino and some of them under the right conditions are great fun.

Just find yourself a German travelling companion. They come with digital maps, annotated guide books, fully briefed and aware of each days journey. They are never lost, panicked or uncertain. Fully connected to the interweb gives them extra confidence.They have actually read everything they can, consulted with experts and booked each night ahead. You don’t have to engage all that much. I normally pose a question and have an answer reasonably quickly. It’s cheap and you don’t have to worry about security or losing anything, if you do lose your way, just find another German. They turn up regularly along the Camino and some of them under the right conditions are great fun.

You owe me a new keypad. Or get over here and clean up the mess I just made reading your post. Awesome!!! But...then being a full blooded Kraut I would think that!!! :eek:

'I want to be away for about 3 - 5 months.'
Check the Schengen Area rules--Wikipedia is a good place to start. The UK is in the EU so you don't need a visa to enter Spain, but the UK is not a Schengen Country and not part of the Schengen Agreement, so you cannot stay more than 90 days in a 180-day period, which begins the first day of your entry into Spain, which is in the Schengen Area. Penalties for overstaying your visit are serious, and my understanding is that there are no visas to extend your stay as a tourist.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
If you are trying to learn the technology aspects without much experience, it might be hard to do in a week unless you can find someone to help you set it up. I think the same apps are generally available in the UK as anywhere else. You put the app on your phone, download the maps you need, and download the "tracks" you need. "Tracks" are the lines showing the route you want; they overlay on the regular map. That is where you could use some help. When you are walking, you just watch the blue dot (you) and try to stay on the line on the map!

In the title of your post you asked "are the camino routes possible with no gps? Dyslexic, bad with technology but do you think a possibility would be using a book?"
Yes, certainly the camino routes are possible with no gps, especially the Camino Frances. A book is an alternative that many people prefer. Look at the Brierley version that has maps only. You can use either GPS or a book - whichever you are more comfortable with. As others have said, you can walk the Frances just by following the arrows and other pilgrims.

P.S. It's easier for us to read and respond if you use a shorter title and then explain everything else in the main part of the post. :)

I never use GPS and usually just the maps in guidebooks. Occasionally get lost a little, but no big deal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The post on finding a German is not only hilarious, but absolutely 100% true!!!!!
Ha ha! I am German but emigrated to New Zealand and thankfully acquired some of the local number 8 fencing wire mentality...
I only ever use basic guidebook maps, follow signage and only occasionally get a little lost which is part of the adventure. Glad not to fit the stereotype. In fact, that stereotype led me to leave Germany amongst other things,,,

All you need is to be able to follow yellow arrows and buy a guide by John Brierley. Follow his maps.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back