• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

E Bike v Mountain Bike

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey All

Hey i am wondering what are the advantages of E Bike v a Mountain Bike. The E Bike is powered by your legs and will help me over the hills but i am wondering what is best please
I plan to leave in May ( not sure if next year or year after due to getting fitness back and health issues but when is best time in May to start?

Also plan to leave Saint Jean not sure what to do first day which route is easier please

I am planning to go to Santiago via Way of St James and do this in 4 weeks with rest days like every friday finish at lunch time and leave again sunday lunchtime

Then 6 days to go to Fisterre and onto Muxia and back to Santiago

My wife is in a support car and knows she can get the Compastela that is legal to get if she only goes to the cathedral and not worried about the cSertificate but to support me. She cant walk or ride due to more health issues

We both plan to get stamps where we were and dates also so we know and can remember where we were on that day.

Also in may what time does sunrise and sunset please.

Street stalls or fruit stalls what is available to eat at these places?

Also if i pass a fruit farm i want to visit the owner to ask can i buy some fruit to be honest and thoughtful of the owners and also do some farmers have anything like stalls with fruit etc What fruits are in season may and june

Also wildflowers are they are at this time?

Thanks all Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
E Bike v a Mountain Bike? – see bottom of page

best time in May to start? –

it will probably be cooler, wetter and less busy in early May versus late May. I started mid May, it was hot and cold and wet and dry. Plan for anything re: weather.

leaving Saint Jean which route is easier? –

If it’s wet and you have some physical constraints, there are some non-paved sections of the Napolean that will be tough. In general, 2/3rds of day 1 to Roncevalles is steep & pretty challenging but almost zero vehicle traffic. I don’t know the Valcarlos route other than the very end is very steep into Roncevalles…traffic has to be heavier I’d guess.

I am planning 4 weeks, monday - friday to Santiago –

that’s 25 miles per day on your bike/e-bike, should be no problem for the average person but only you can answer that question based on YOUR abilities, fitness, and motorized or not.

Then 6 days to go to Fisterre and onto Muxia and back to Santiago –

same as above

Also in may what time does sunrise and sunset please? -

Long days, sun up about 7am, sunset about 9pm

Street stalls or fruit stalls what is available to eat at these places? -

Fruit for sale is very good on the camino and pretty easy to find. Just about every bar on the camino has some fruit but not a big selection. In the medium and larger towns there are stores with much larger selections and displays out front on the sidewalk. Sometimes you may need to divert off the camino to find them. Note: it is considered bad form to handle the fruit in the displays on the sidewalk. Instead go inside and tell them what you want and they will hand the fruit to you so they don’t have to restock the display.

Also if i pass a fruit farm i want to visit the owner to ask can i buy some fruit to be honest and thoughtful of the owners and also do some farmers have anything like stalls with fruit etc What fruits are in season may and june? -

Sure you can ask if you can find them. I came across excellent cherries just before Villafranca del Bierzo. I stopped and talked with a few farmers working grain fields but did not see any farmers around the cherry tree orchards. I did not notice any other fruit crops that were ripe along the camino.

Also wildflowers are they at this time? -

The brilliant red poppies are abundant and something I’ll never forget.

E Bike v a Mountain Bike

Mountain Bike – you do all the physical work but have a larger gear set, less than half of the weight of an E-bike, less expensive and more choices, any shop can do repairs along the camino.

E-Bike in the USA – powered by one OR both of the following 2 methods. First Method – pedal assist - when you initiate a forward pedaling motion the motor senses it and starts “assisting” by turning the rear wheel mechanically. Generally there are 3 to 5 settings you choose for the amount of assist you desire. On the highest setting the bike takes off with just the weight of your leg (almost zero physical effort) and maintains low speeds less than 10 mph very easily. To sustain 20 mph requires a medium effort for someone who is fit using the highest setting. The second method is a throttle on the right side hand grip, like a motorcycle. Twist a little for a slow start, twist more to be quickly launched up to your desired speed. Top speed is regulated by the country where purchased and local laws. You can also pedal without the motor but you have fewer mechanical gears and the E-bike is much heavier. You will need to carry a battery charger and use it every night. Depending on the size of your motor, size of battery, your usage of the assist and throttle, the terrain, conditions and your weight plus gear…figure on 20 - 25 miles of range per charge until you have some experience. Pick an E-bike with the feature “walk mode” which is a very low motorized speed that is comfortable to propel the bike while you are off the bike walking next to it with both hands on the handlebars. There will be some steep hills you cannot safely ride up due to wet slippery conditions, dry loose rock conditions or pilgrim foot traffic in your way forcing you to stop. Depending on your skills and a dozen other variables you may have to walk the bike up the remainder of the hill after coming to a stop. Pushing it will be very difficult without the easily controllable motor assist that the walking mode feature offers. Finding qualified mechanics and parts for the electrical components could be difficult on the Camino. For this reason, I’d suggest renting an E-bike in Spain or buying one in Spain.

Last edited:
E Bike v a Mountain Bike? – see bottom of page

best time in May to start? –

it will probably be cooler, wetter and less busy in early May versus late May. I started mid May, it was hot and cold and wet and dry. Plan for anything re: weather.

leaving Saint Jean which route is easier? –

If it’s wet and you have some physical constraints, there are some non-paved sections of the Napolean that will be tough. In general, 2/3rds of day 1 to Roncevalles is steep & pretty challenging but almost zero vehicle traffic. I don’t know the Valcarlos route other than the very end is very steep into Roncevalles…traffic has to be heavier I’d guess.

I am planning 4 weeks, monday - friday to Santiago –

that’s 25 miles per day, should be doable for the average person but only you can answer that question based on YOUR abilities, fitness, motorized or not.

Then 6 days to go to Fisterre and onto Muxia and back to Santiago –

same as above

Also in may what time does sunrise and sunset please? -

Long days, sun up about 7am, sunset about 9pm

Street stalls or fruit stalls what is available to eat at these places? -

Fruit for sale is very good on the camino and pretty easy to find. Just about every bar on the camino has some fruit but not a big selection. In the medium and larger towns there are stores with much larger selections and displays out front on the sidewalk. Sometimes you may need to divert off the camino to find them. Note: it is considered bad form to handle the fruit in the displays on the sidewalk. Instead go inside and tell them what you want and they will hand the fruit to you so they don’t have to restock the display.

Also if i pass a fruit farm i want to visit the owner to ask can i buy some fruit to be honest and thoughtful of the owners and also do some farmers have anything like stalls with fruit etc What fruits are in season may and june? -

Sure you can ask if you can find them. I came across excellent cherries just before Villafranca del Bierzo. I stopped and talked with a few farmers working grain fields but did not see any farmers around the cherry tree orchards. I did not notice any other fruit crops that were ripe along the camino.

Also wildflowers are they at this time? -

The brilliant red poppies are abundant and something I’ll never forget.

E Bike v a Mountain Bike

Mountain Bike – you do all the physical work but have a larger gear set, less than half of the weight of an E-bike, less expensive and more choices, any shop can do repairs along the camino.

E-Bike in the USA – powered by one OR both of the following 2 methods. First Method – pedal assist - when you initiate a forward pedaling motion the motor senses it and starts “assisting” by turning the rear wheel mechanically. Generally there are 3 to 5 settings you choose for the amount of assist you desire. On the highest setting the bike takes off with just the weight of your leg (almost zero physical effort) and maintains low speeds less than 10 mph very easily. To sustain 20 mph requires a medium effort for someone who is fit using the highest setting. The second method is a throttle on the right side hand grip, like a motorcycle. Twist a little for a slow start, twist more to be quickly launched up to your desired speed. Top speed is regulated by the country where purchased and local laws. You can also pedal without the motor but you have fewer mechanical gears and the E-bike is much heavier. You will need to carry a battery charger and use it every night. Depending on the size of your motor, size of battery, your usage of the assist and throttle, the terrain, conditions and your weight plus gear…figure on 20 - 25 miles of range per charge until you have some experience. Pick an E-bike with the feature “walk mode” which is a very low motorized speed that is comfortable to propel the bike while you are off the bike walking next to it with both hands on the handlebars. There will be some steep hills you cannot safely ride up due to wet slippery conditions, dry loose rock conditions or pilgrim foot traffic in your way forcing you to stop. Depending on your skills and a dozen other variables you may have to walk the bike up the remainder of the hill after coming to a stop. Pushing it will be very difficult without the easily controllable motor assist that the walking mode feature offers. Finding qualified mechanics and parts for the electrical components could be difficult on the Camino. For this reason, I’d suggest renting an E-bike in Spain or buying one in Spain.
TWH thanks so much mate :) very much appreciative your thoughts and comments :) i am leaning to the mountain bike like u said easy to get repaired and dont have to attach and re attach battery :) and it be very heavy and dont want any more injuries that i have permanently. My wife will be in a support role in a hire automatic car as she is not used to stick shift manuals. And we plan to book a number of places due to popularity. We both appreciate everything mate :) God bless and Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Using "Google Maps" and directions marked for bicycles you will find an appropriate route. It list 470 miles and 47 hours. This will have fewer conflicts with those walking and averaging 10 miles per hour. Most cyclist wouldn't need electrical or other powered assistance. Where many walkers don't appreciate long stretches of pavement, this will afford a nicer way for wheeled vehicles and enough interaction with the historic walking Camino to receive sellos and your Compostella.

Using "Google Maps" and directions marked for bicycles you will find an appropriate route. It list 470 miles and 47 hours. This will have fewer conflicts with those walking and averaging 10 miles per hour. Most cyclist wouldn't need electrical or other powered assistance. Where many walkers don't appreciate long stretches of pavement, this will afford a nicer way for wheeled vehicles and enough interaction with the historic walking Camino to receive sellos and your Compostella.
thanks williamlittig much appreciated and muchas gracias mi amigo for your comment :) i am most probably be just using a mountain bike as other e bikes are very heavy. I can walk but i rather ride :)

God bless you and Buen Camino

There will be parts of the route that will require you to get off and push, steep, muddy or rocky. Whatever the bike. Please be aware of this. Take a small day sack to lessen the weight (snacks, water, waterproofs etc), most of your kit can be with your wife in the van. As said many tough sections can be averted by using a road variant.

Not sure if E-bike or mountain better for you, we don't know you well enough to say. I know you have taken medical advice, whatever they say I would go for.

From St. Jean you have two options in good weather. The Napoleon is hardest for the first 8km or so to Orisson. Very steep but on a road. From there I don't think it is too bad. But do take the road route from the summit. Valcarlos route is your other option. Mixture of roads (can be very busy main roads) and secluded forest. Mostly uphill, but the hardest bit is the end part nearing Roncesvalles. Very steep on a forest logging trail or small path. Both uneven. In bad weather always take Valcarlos. Also, Valcarlos you can do in two days as there is an albergue in the wonderful village of Valcarlos (about halfway). Always check in at the pilgrims office in St. Jean for latest weather/info of the routes.

No problem with fruit on the Way, and yeah sure, why not ask a farmer if you can buy some. Plenty of vegetarians have walked and survived and even Vegans too.

Good luck, best wishes and
Buen Camino!
Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There will be parts of the route that will require you to get off and push, steep, muddy or rocky. Whatever the bike. Please be aware of this. Take a small day sack to lessen the weight (snacks, water, waterproofs etc), most of your kit can be with your wife in the van. As said many tough sections can be averted by using a road variant.

Not sure if E-bike or mountain better for you, we don't know you well enough to say. I know you have taken medical advice, whatever they say I would go for.

From St. Jean you have two options in good weather. The Napoleon is hardest for the first 8km or so to Orisson. Very steep but on a road. From there I don't think it is too bad. But do take the road route from the summit. Valcarlos route is your other option. Mixture of roads (can be very busy main roads) and secluded forest. Mostly uphill, but the hardest bit is the end part nearing Roncesvalles. Very steep on a forest logging trail or small path. Both uneven. In bad weather always take Valcarlos. Also, Valcarlos you can do in two days as there is an albergue in the wonderful village of Valcarlos (about halfway). Always check in at the pilgrims office in St. Jean for latest weather/info of the routes.

No problem with fruit on the Way, and yeah sure, why not ask a farmer if you can buy some. Plenty of vegetarians have walked and survived and even Vegans too.

Good luck, best wishes and
Buen Camino!
Davey
Davey muchas gracias mi amigo and many thanks again for your kind words and advice :) yes i am seeing my dr and massage therapist fortnightly due to my health and could be more hopefully soon more visits to the massage therapist :) he plans to do what i am planning not sure if by bike or walk but my gp has walked the length from st jean to fisterre and hopes this year if they can go to muxia.

Which camino/s have you done mate?

Buen Camino and God bless you mate :)

Bless you too!

You can see what camino's I have walked at the bottom of my posts.

Not enough! I am addicted!

You take care and happy planning. I am rooting for you mate and looking forward to the day you arrive in Santiago!

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bless you too!

You can see what camino's I have walked at the bottom of my posts.

Not enough! I am addicted!

You take care and happy planning. I am rooting for you mate and looking forward to the day you arrive in Santiago!

Buen Camino!
thanks mate muchas gracias mi amigo :) i really cant say thanks enough for the help you give me on every topic i have written :) i see you have done a few caminos :) when do you go again mate ?

thanks mate muchas gracias mi amigo :) i really cant say thanks enough for the help you give me on every topic i have written :) i see you have done a few caminos :) when do you go again mate ?

As soon as possible! Though my dad is ill at the moment (Parkinsons and Cancer) so not really willing to wander far, my place is beside him now. The Camino doesn't move, it will be there always for me. But if I can help here on the forum a little it keeps me happy.

So, are you excited yet then Glenn?! You my friend are gonna love it!
Davey

As soon as possible! Though my dad is ill at the moment (Parkinsons and Cancer) so not really willing to wander far, my place is beside him now. The Camino doesn't move, it will be there always for me. But if I can help here on the forum a little it keeps me happy.

So, are you excited yet then Glenn?! You my friend are gonna love it!
Davey
im so sorry about dad mate :( i lost my dad 12/1/2 years ago and miss him greatly :( my mum re married this year in january and hes a great guy and my mum is happy makes me happier :) i havent even told her what my wife and i plan to do on this trip yet ( all part of the timing)
I am excited but nervous mate. I tell you more about that if i can one on one.

Yes my dr gp and massage therapist are helping me since especially my dr/gp has done it and my massage therapist has always wanted to do this :) so they are guiding me physically and mentally I work with God for my spiritually.

And you my friend has helped me also :) Thanks mate ducky and muchas gracias mi amigo :) practising my spanish. My wife is happy to be in a support vehicle and still enjoy her "camino" her way and in her time :) Buen Camino mate ducky

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
im so sorry about dad mate :( i lost my dad 12/1/2 years ago and miss him greatly :( my mum re married this year in january and hes a great guy and my mum is happy makes me happier :) i havent even told her what my wife and i plan to do on this trip yet ( all part of the timing)
I am excited but nervous mate. I tell you more about that if i can one on one.

Yes my dr gp and massage therapist are helping me since especially my dr/gp has done it and my massage therapist has always wanted to do this :) so they are guiding me physically and mentally I work with God for my spiritually.

And you my friend has helped me also :) Thanks mate ducky and muchas gracias mi amigo :) practising my spanish. My wife is happy to be in a support vehicle and still enjoy her "camino" her way and in her time :) Buen Camino mate ducky

Heck Glenn, you and your wife are going to have a great time! And all of us here are only too happy to help.

You not told your mum yet? Naughty boy!

We are all nervous at first. Then once you begin it all falls away. Bliss.

Cheers duck
Davey

Heck Glenn, you and your wife are going to have a great time! And all of us here are only too happy to help.

You not told your mum yet? Naughty boy!

We are all nervous at first. Then once you begin it all falls away. Bliss.

Cheers duck
Davey
thanks dave and yes i am a naughty ducky :) but she will know we just need to prepare in our way of doing this me mainly doing all the planning and costs :) my wife is busy doing other things since we just moved a few months ago and cant help with the physical requirements much :(

Yes i am glad for 90% of theb help so far :) and yes we look forward to doing this :) and the 2nd half of our trip by hire car together and no bike :)

Glenn I wonder if it would be worth calling (or emailing) this rental place to pick their brain?

They deliver & pick up bikes anywhere on the Camino. I had considered biking due to posterior tibial tendonitis that bothers me after ~15K of walking yet I just rode 300K today no problem. Anyway, this looked like the easiest place to rent from and it's been around forever.

My husband with COPD did a cross country USA ride in 2011 with an electric bike and it got him across and got us in a hotel every nite so we could charge it. 😊 It was a heavy SOB (Trek FX+, 22kg) so my take on it is only use one if you actually NEED it to get up hills (Don did). BUT . . . electric bikes have improved so much since then, the rental place might recommend otherwise. A guy in our club has a 2018 electric Raleigh and he can use it for a 100K ride and do spurts as fast as 46kph. Obviously you will not be hauling a$$ like this on the crowded, dirt road camino but what an improvement over Don's where he could only use the electric at Level 2 for maybe 32K per day.

Me I'm gonna walk and just stop before it hurts since I'm on the I-can-take-as-long-as-two-months-to-walk-the-CF-plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glenn I wonder if it would be worth calling (or emailing) this rental place to pick their brain?

They deliver & pick up bikes anywhere on the Camino. I had considered biking due to posterior tibial tendonitis that bothers me after ~15K of walking yet I just rode 300K today no problem. Anyway, this looked like the easiest place to rent from and it's been around forever.

My husband with COPD did a cross country USA ride in 2011 with an electric bike and it got him across and got us in a hotel every nite so we could charge it. 😊 It was a heavy SOB (Trek FX+, 22kg) so my take on it is only use one if you actually NEED it to get up hills (Don did). BUT . . . electric bikes have improved so much since then, the rental place might recommend otherwise. A guy in our club has a 2018 electric Raleigh and he can use it for a 100K ride and do spurts as fast as 46kph. Obviously you will not be hauling a$$ like this on the crowded, dirt road camino but what an improvement over Don's where he could only use the electric at Level 2 for maybe 32K per day.

Me I'm gonna walk and just stop before it hurts since I'm on the I-can-take-as-long-as-two-months-to-walk-the-CF-plan.
Yumadons thanks so much for your suggestions and yes i have posterior tibial tendonitis in both legs at the moment but other issues as well but slowly getting better :)

I contacted that company and they wrote back they couldnt accommodate me :( i think they missed about the cost of the bike e bike and normal mountain bike for 5 weeks as i was asking other questions and they started saying i should talk to a travel agent :( oh well

I not worried about speed of the bike but to get me over the tough hills like first few days to pamplona and other places but still undecided. My dr and massage therapist we started talking about this a month ago and we talk about the plans and physical fitness required for the camino.

Feel free to ask me anything :)

God bless and Buen Camino to you and your husband :)

Yumadons thanks so much for your suggestions and yes i have posterior tibial tendonitis in both legs at the moment but other issues as well but slowly getting better :)

I contacted that company and they wrote back they couldnt accommodate me :( i think they missed about the cost of the bike e bike and normal mountain bike for 5 weeks as i was asking other questions and they started saying i should talk to a travel agent :( oh well

I not worried about speed of the bike but to get me over the tough hills like first few days to pamplona and other places but still undecided. My dr and massage therapist we started talking about this a month ago and we talk about the plans and physical fitness required for the camino.

Feel free to ask me anything :)

God bless and Buen Camino to you and your husband :)
heres the email verbatim

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your email and interest in our Services.

Just before going ahead, it is important that yo understand that we offer Bike Rental Services,
For the Bike Rental, we will deliver the Bike to your first Hotel and collect from your last hotel.
You will need to deal with your own accommodation, food arrangements and other travel arrangements
As for instance car rentals, train transportation etc.

It looks like you should consider a travel agent,
That can get everything arranged for you!

We are sorry that we won't be able to accommodate your travel plans
And we hope that you will find a suitable option for your needs.

In the meanwhile, shall you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Many Greetings from sunny Lisbon,
Tania
bikeiberia team

Proudly Celebrating 20 years Sharing the Best of Portugal & Spain by Bike!

bikeiberia.com - Pedal your way through Portugal and Spain!

Road Cycling (Guided and Self-Guided) & Mountain Biking (Guided only)
Independent bike tours 1 to 15 days long!
Quality Bike Tours and Rentals
Cell Phone:
+351 96 963 0369 (GMT Hours)
Phone/Fax: +351 21 347 0347 (GMT Hours)
Address: Lg. Corpo Santo, 5 > Baixa > 1200-129 Lisboa > Portugal

my questions verbatim

Dear Sir/Madam

Hello my name is Glenn and I would like to ask a few questions.

I am wondering what is best as i suffer from back and legs and neck issues

E bike? How far can I go on a full charge? How long to recharge? Is battery easy removal and put back on?

Normal mountain bike?

What is best bike for me? A normal mountain bike or and E bike?

I plan to use the same bike all the way from SJJP to Santiago then Fisterre and Muxia and then back to Santiago

My wife wont be riding at all but we like to hire a car auto transmission and drive from town to town and we stay overnight together.

Where can we stay in a private room anywhere from sjjp to Santiago? Please

What car company do you recommend?

Should we get the car and return from Madrid airport or pamplona or elsewhere?

Can we get trains from Madrid to sjjp?

We are planning may and early june how is weather then?

We are vegetarians what foods are available and fruits?

My wife knows she can't get a certificate but she wants to get stamps in her passport. Is this allowed?

She is on a disability can she get a certificate and if so what is the minimum requirements?

What is included in the bike rental?

What is not included?

How much are mobile phones in Spain? With a camera.

Anything else you can mention is greatful.

Many thanks

From Glenn and Karen.

Buen Camino

Completely different concern. Check out the cost of a rental car picked up in France and returned in Spain. It may change your mind about where you want to start

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I may be missing something, but if your wife is not walking, but driving, I don't believe she can get a credential and stay in albergues. Nor
would she qualify for a Compostela at the end. In fact there has been discussion on the forum about whether arriving by e-bike would qualify either. Check it out before you go if getting a Compostela is important to you.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back