• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

e biking from Sarria to Santiago

clevpt

Time of past OR future Camino
I am new to the forum so I hope I will find a way to see the answers to this post. I will be walking from Astorga to Saria in October and plan to be in Saria on October 17th where my husband would join me (flying to Santiago from NYC and taking an uber to Saria) The plan is to rent e bikes in saria,(I have a spanish friend who will order them for me so they are there) and ride to Santiago. Is it realistic to be able to make it to Santiago on October 20th? I imagine we would leave on October 18th from saria. I heard that the bike path is different. Where can I get that information and does anyone know the riding distance from Saria to Santiago on bike? Thank you in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To qualify for compostela on bicycle, you must ride the last 200km, so not starting from Sarria. It seems there are many companies that will rent out e-bikes on the Camino and they will deliver it to your address.

The answer is yes. E-bikes have a range on eco of up to 100km. Splitting into 2 sections is achievable.

You don't even need an E-bike. But no compostela

As regards the route, it would be (very) sensible to take the bike route as the number of walkers from Sarria onwards are such that you wouldn't make much progress.

Search for Eurovelo 3 which is also called the Pilgrim Route. GPX files available

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can build your route here and choosing bikes, but their recommended distance of 45km per day for bike seems like an easy way!

There are two issues here. Both only apply IF you want to qualify for a Compostela.

1. Anyone riding a bicycle into Santiago from a Camino route MUST cycle the FINAL 200 kilometers on that recognized route, into Santiago. For example, this generally means starting at Ponferrada on the Camino Frances or Camino Invierno, or at Porto on the Camino Portuguese. Cycling from Sarria, Tui or Ferrol, would not be enough to qualify.

2. If anyone uses an electric assist bicycle for a Camino, it must be incapable of being ridden without pedaling. In other words, only Category I electric bikes - without throttles - qualify. The test is simple:

- If you MUST pedal for any electric assist to apply, and if you stop pedaling there is NO ELECTRIC ASSIST, this bicycle will qualify you for a Compostela, assuming you met the distance requirement.

- On the other hand, if the bicycle is capable of being ridden SOLELY ON ELECTRIC POWER, without pedaling at all, this bicycle does NOT QUALIFY you for a Compostela.

This said, the security guards are supposed to inform arriving bicycle pilgrims of this fact. However, I am unaware if the rule is being applied.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Your timeframe is more than enough to go from Sarria to Santiago by bike. My favorite map app is mapy.cz for the Camino. For example, if you go to the section where you find Sarria, you’ll clearly see the blue line indication the Camino. You will also see the pink dots and the bicycle icon for the recommended cycling route. Sometimes you’re right on the Camino; sometimes, it reroutes off it because the terrain might not be as suitable for a bike. As you’ll see most of the day out of Sarria to Portomarin, the bike route is on the road. Download the maps for northwestern Spain and you’ll have a good resource for your ride.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My favorite map app is mapy.cz for the Camino.
@clevpt, there is a relationship between mapy.cz and Windy Maps. It is a recent rename or merger or something. I mention this just in case you want to do some research. I'm not a user (but not because I don't like it; I've just got enough other navigation apps to not want to bother with another).

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back