• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

e-Biking traject SJPP/Pamplona or Irun/Pamplona

Mariposa 1955

Time of past OR future Camino
Started to bike the Camino in January 207
Dear all,

A friend and I are planning to bike the camino francés this summer. (depending on the Corona situation). We fly into Biarritz. We have normal female e-bikes. What do you consider to be the best traject to bike.
1) Irun via Bidasoa to Doneztebe/Santesteban but how then to go further to Pamplona? Which traject would be possible to bike with our bikes. Komoot gives crazy % 😲:)
OR
2) Bike to SJPP then via Roncevalles to Pamplona. Seems to be as well pritty heavy.
I bought the "St. Jacobsfietsroute " part 3 guide but that one starts in OLORON St. Marie going to Pamplona!!!
Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I want to bike part of the Northern route in 2022, any ideas what part is best to bike and if I can rent a bike and drop at my final bike destination for pick up?

I have done all three routes on foot and in a car.
Your first option is very hilly and on narrow roads with lots of local vehicular traffic.
Your second option is more sane with reasonable grades (except for the switch backs up to Roncevalles) and thee is considerably less traffic.
Wow! A bike ride from Oloron-Ste. Marie to Pamplona would be awesome, but the tunnel to Somport would be a real challenge. To get there from Biarritz, the roads are fine or there is rail service via Pau.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I want to bike part of the Northern route in 2022, any ideas what part is best to bike and if I can rent a bike and drop at my final bike destination for pick up?
I rented a bike from Cycling Rentals in 2017, I assume they are still in business after the Covid pandemic. I walked from SJPdP to Pamplona and they delivered a complete bike set-up to me at my hotel in Pamplona. I returned the bike to a shop in SdC, it was a very seamless operation. I assume they could give you some excellent advice about where to cycle on the Norte. Having walked it, there are some places where you would be off the Camino and riding on paved roads.

I have done all three routes on foot and in a car.
Your first option is very hilly and on narrow roads with lots of local vehicular traffic.
Your second option is more sane with reasonable grades (except for the switch backs up to Roncevalles) and there is considerably less traffic.
Wow! A bike ride from Oloron-Ste. Marie to Pamplona would be awesome, but the tunnel to Somport would be a real challenge. To get there from Biarritz, the roads are fine or there is rail service via Pau.
Thanks for your answer. It is obvious you are a true biker :)
We with our normal e-city bikes are not used to mountains at all.
We honestly don't know we can manage it. Although we biked the camino in France, Portugal and a part in Spain (from Leon to Cruz de ferro). I suppose Holland and Belgium don't count 😄
1) Did you do the first part track to Doneztebe/Santesteban, taking the via verde Bidasoa (an old railway track)? That should be pritty ok,. no?
No grades over 10%? I thought there was no traffic? I planned that part in Komoot.
Biking further down to Pamplona seems to be indeed almost impossible?

2) Nice to hear there is less traffic. I find trucks, going uphill not really prepared to stay behind you if it is difficult to pass you, terrible.
We then most likely will choose this option.

Leen

Sorry, I do not know this route. I guess if it is an old railroad track it is doable. I have no idea how you would get to Pamplona from there. The buses are very particular about transporting bikes, many will not accept then and the ones that do require the bike be partially disassembled and wrapped in plastic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Or RidewithGPS. You can download the route and check it

On the left side, it shows there are 2 fairly easy climbs

I have a route from Puente de la Reina to Andoain which i rode to get to France, as bikes on the Spanish trains are a problem in many cases. Nothing desperately steep, decent surfaces. You would be doing it in reverse, of course. You can get to Andoain on the little train from Hendaye, with your bike. PM me and I will send you the gpx and a pdf map

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok, I have found my route files and can tell you a bit more.

First, the Arles route from Pau is fairly easy and you don't go anywhere near the tunnel, you go over the top. It is a long climb, but very short sections are actually steep. Then it is downhill, quite gently through Jaca to Puenta la Reina. You can go by train to Pau or Oloron Ste Marie.

If you want to go via St Jean that is pretty doable on the Valcarlos route. I did it on a non electric bike and yes, I pushed the bike in places. From Roncevalles there is a short cut avoiding Pamplona which is mostly downhill and brings you out at Gares/Puenta la Reina

If you want a more direct route then you need to get to Andoain, either by riding (you will need to work out the route from Irun, but it's not hard or hilly) or on the little train from Hendaye. You can take your bike. You can also take your bike on the french TER.

There is a slightly grotty pilgrim refuge in Andoain, it is on the Camino of the Basque Interior. Then you use the via Verde La Plazayola, (once a railway line) which has two sections with different names, but it is continuous as far as Irutzun. which has a massive great hotel which is actually very reasonable in price and bike friendly. This far it is uphill from Andoain all the way, but not steep. From Irutzun it is road along the valley of the river Arakil, mostly downhill. I am sure you could branch off to Pamplona if you wanted, but it is actually a nice ride, not busy. Personall I would just slide past Pamplona, which is quite interesting, but there is better. I took two days from Gares to Hendaye.

I have done all of these by bike. or ebike. I'm 65, overweight and lazy.

Forgot to say. There are tunnels on the Plazayola. With lights, not very good ones.

Are you sure that e-bikes are recognized on the Camino, or more specifically, at least for the last 200km (that's the requirement for bicyclists as opposed to 100m for walking)? I don't know, but I'd advise you to check with the Pilgrims Office before going too far down this road.

Are you sure that e-bikes are recognized on the Camino, or more specifically, at least for the last 200km (that's the requirement for bicyclists as opposed to 100m for walking)? I don't know, but I'd advise you to check with the Pilgrims Office before going too far down this road.
Pedelec type ebikes carry the same requirements as a bicycle re obtaining the Compostella

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes. As long as you have to pedal as well

Ok, I have found my route files and can tell you a bit more.

First, the Arles route from Pau is fairly easy and you don't go anywhere near the tunnel, you go over the top. It is a long climb, but very short sections are actually steep. Then it is downhill, quite gently through Jaca to Puenta la Reina. You can go by train to Pau or Oloron Ste Marie.

If you want to go via St Jean that is pretty doable on the Valcarlos route. I did it on a non electric bike and yes, I pushed the bike in places. From Roncevalles there is a short cut avoiding Pamplona which is mostly downhill and brings you out at Gares/Puenta la Reina

If you want a more direct route then you need to get to Andoain, either by riding (you will need to work out the route from Irun, but it's not hard or hilly) or on the little train from Hendaye. You can take your bike. You can also take your bike on the french TER.

There is a slightly grotty pilgrim refuge in Andoain, it is on the Camino of the Basque Interior. Then you use the via Verde La Plazayola, (once a railway line) which has two sections with different names, but it is continuous as far as Irutzun. which has a massive great hotel which is actually very reasonable in price and bike friendly. This far it is uphill from Andoain all the way, but not steep. From Irutzun it is road along the valley of the river Arakil, mostly downhill. I am sure you could branch off to Pamplona if you wanted, but it is actually a nice ride, not busy. Personall I would just slide past Pamplona, which is quite interesting, but there is better. I took two days from Gares to Hendaye.

I have done all of these by bike. or ebike. I'm 65, overweight and lazy.

Forgot to say. There are tunnels on the Plazayola. With lights, not very good ones.
Barbara thank you very much for your answer. I will look into it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had checked that one already and it seems to be planned or "under construction". I will look into it again. Thank you very much!
Mariposa, send me a PM with your email and I will send you the GPX files and a PDF map for the Plazayola and the route from there to Gares/Puente la Reina.

The EV1 is a shared route for much of its length. And, for an EV, hilly.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back