• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

E SIM

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
AIRALO UPDATE!! I’ve used Airalo in the past as recently as a week ago in Mexico. However while in Mexico I received a message that they could no long provide coverage with 1 of the 3 carriers they had contracts with. Unfortunately it was the only one in my area. So… no coverage at all.

I prefer Orange eSim in Europe as I get a phone number as well. Which means Albergues are more likely to call me back.

With Airalo I believe you only get data.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our last couple trips to Europe we've been using KeepGo eSIMs - you just put in the countries you're visiting and it will give you package options. Pisces is the one we've had - $14/23 for 5/10GB. Good for a whole year too in case you're returning.
Yeah, we've used Airalo as well, they tend to have better options than KeepGo in Asia while we prefer KeepGo for Europe or North America. The big difference for us is that the cheaper Airalo plans are generally just 30 days and the longer ones quite a bit more expensive. Whereas most KeepGo packages last a year even for smaller amounts. This works well for us since we will be taking 3 separate trips to Europe this year. But if you are travelling for less than 30 days and not returning again this year it won't make much difference which one you choose.

Yeah, we've used Airalo as well, they tend to have better options than KeepGo in Asia while we prefer KeepGo for Europe or North America. The big difference for us is that the cheaper Airalo plans are generally just 30 days and the longer ones quite a bit more expensive. Whereas most KeepGo packages last a year even for smaller amounts. This works well for us since we will be taking 3 separate trips to Europe this year. But if you are travelling for less than 30 days and not returning again this year it won't make much difference which one you choose.
Forgive my total ignorance in this area, I didn’t know there was any such thing as an Esim!. I will be in central Asia for one month, (Georgia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan), then five weeks doing the Camino in Spain. Do you know if there is one plan that will do all of that? Also I assume I have to get my Sim unlocked first in my iPhone? Thanks! Previously I have always just used my Vancouver plan (Telus), about $20 a day. I need something with a lot of data because I will be working.

Forgive my total ignorance in this area, I didn’t know there was any such thing as an Esim!. I will be in central Asia for one month, (Georgia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan), then five weeks doing the Camino in Spain. Do you know if there is one plan that will do all of that? Also I assume I have to get my Sim unlocked first in my iPhone? Thanks! Previously I have always just used my Vancouver plan (Telus), about $20 a day. I need something with a lot of data because I will be working.
@Liltravlr, an eSIM is different than a regular SIM card. Newer phones now have TWO sims, one PHYSICAL SIM and one EMBEDDED SIM which is necessary to get an eSIM. You will first need to find out if your phone has dual SIM capability. If it has only the physical SIM, you will have to remove that SIM in the country where you will be and purchase a local SIM. That means that you will not be able to use your phone for anything from your home country.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Liltravlr, an eSIM is different than a regular SIM card. Newer phones now have TWO sims, one PHYSICAL SIM and one EMBEDDED SIM which is necessary to get an eSIM. You will first need to find out if your phone has dual SIM capability. If it has only the physical SIM, you will have to remove that SIM in the country where you will be and purchase a local SIM. That means that you will not be able to use your phone for anything from your home country.
Yikes! I guess that’s why I haven’t done it before. I think my phone is really old, iPhone 8.

Our last couple trips to Europe we've been using KeepGo eSIMs - you just put in the countries you're visiting and it will give you package options. Pisces is the one we've had - $14/23 for 5/10GB. Good for a whole year too in case you're returning.
Can you talk about how these “e-sims” work?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah, unfortunately an iPhone 8 won't have dual sim capability. I think it started at iPhone 11 and SE 2. And if you have a phone with dual sim it will also need to be unlocked. That applies to use an eSim or a local physical SIM.

As for your destinations - so far the Stans are not well-covered by most eSim packages. Definitely not Airalo or KeepGo. There may be one out there but you'd have to do some searching. Probably the best best would be to make sure you phone is unlocked and just buy a local SIM when you arrive there. In most countries they sell them right in the airport now.

I’ve been following this thread (from Canada) as much as my limited understanding would allow, because I expect to be in Europe later this spring and want to have some kind of cell coverage, so I’ve been making some inquiries myself. The person I spoke with recently at my provider’s call centre, although very willing to help - and I’m not faulting him as I don’t expect my provider to be up on everything their competitors offer - could not assure me, were I to purchase an eSIM package, that I wouldn’t also be charged my provider’s daily rate ($15). At the moment I’m back to purchasing a SIM card when I get to where I’m going.

FWIW, when I inquired (from my provider’s people) about having to get my phone unlocked, I was told that all phones purchased since about 2018 are already unlocked. I don’t know if that only applies to iPhones; I have an iPhone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve been following this thread (from Canada) as much as my limited understanding would allow, because I expect to be in Europe later this spring and want to have some kind of cell coverage, so I’ve been making some inquiries myself. The person I spoke with recently at my provider’s call centre, although very willing to help - and I’m not faulting him as I don’t expect my provider to be up on everything their competitors offer - could not assure me, were I to purchase an eSIM package, that I wouldn’t also be charged my provider’s daily rate ($15). At the moment I’m back to purchasing a SIM card when I get to where I’m going.
I studied the Airalo page a bit, and they tell you what settings to change so that your home SIM is not used and you aren't charged by your home provider.

AIRALO UPDATE!! I’ve used Airalo in the past as recently as a week ago in Mexico. However while in Mexico I received a message that they could no long provide coverage with 1 of the 3 carriers they had contracts with. Unfortunately it was the only one in my area. So… no coverage at all.

I prefer Orange eSim in Europe as I get a phone number as well. Which means Albergues are more likely to call me back.

Which orange plan do you use? Is this the proper website?

On one orange website it only had 14 day plans. On the one above, it has a 30 day plan that seems much cheaper, but I'm suspicious.

Spain all-inclusive on this website says 40 for 14 days all inclusive, but it's only 14 day plans for some reason.

Do you wait to get your e-sim in an actual Orange store once in Spain or can you do it online ahead of time?

I bought orange eSim ahead of time. Installed it in Canada, then on plane deactivated mine activated theirs.

If you go longer then 14 days you have to register the sim. Online easy peezy.

I bought orange eSim ahead of time. Installed it in Canada, then on plane deactivated mine activated theirs.

If you go longer then 14 days you have to register the sim. Online easy peezy.
Hi there, i have a few questions if you can help.
did the Orange eSim give you data, calls and SMS?
If so for how many days (i´ll need 30 days)? I am going to do the Portugués and the Finesterre, so I need an eSim for Portugal and Spain.
Were you able to easily topit up?
Merci, thank you, muchas gracias, obrigada :)

Do you just get their 14-day plan with 8 GB for 20 Euros? That seems expensive if you're in Spain for a few weeks. (I'll be taking my time from the Pyrenees and then staying in Spain for additional time.) Online it looks like their only esims that have a phone number are these 14-day ones.

Will it have a Spanish number so albergues or
Hotels can reach you? Whatsapp ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Me too. Orange it is

The best way to stay up to date on this issue is to look directly at the provider’s web page. One of the key issues is that some countries require you to register your ID to receive service for longer periods. This was easy to do online.

I suggest you read thru this -

It’s very hard to provide advice in this area as technology changes rapidly and my experience last year may no longer be valid.

Please check that I am correct here. There are Spanish holiday SIMs/eSIMs available from Spanish networks. They may not require information from your passport. They are probably more expensive per day than a 30 day prepaid plan for residents or longer term visitors that do require passport information. These non-holiday plans can probably be renewed and maybe renewed online. Yeah, I know I'm giving much help here but keep these things in mind as you search for a plan.

€149,-
Please check that I am correct here. There are Spanish holiday SIMs/eSIMs available from Spanish networks. They may not require information from your passport. They are probably more expensive per day than a 30 day prepaid plan for residents or longer term visitors that do require passport information. These non-holiday plans can probably be renewed and maybe renewed online. Yeah, I know I'm giving much help here but keep these things in mind as you search for a plan.
Just be a bit cautious, some of the holiday SIMs are aimed at youngsters who come to Spain to party and they provide heaps of data (good) but you can only use the data in Spain (not good if you start your Camino in France). The phone service will roam because that is an EU requirement but data does not have to roam.

This might have been the case with a recent pilgrim who got lost coming over the Pyrenees (how he got lost is beyond me) and he needed to call for help. He was able to phone emergency services but couldn't get a GPS position with the apps available on his phone without data (probably Google Maps which requires a data connection if you haven't downloaded offline maps).

Regardless of safety, having no data while in France or elsewhere is a pain.

Anyone used Holafly? unlimited data, no calls or texts and $US99 for 90 days ( I will be in Europe that long)...Orange more expensive and am unsure on the need for a number, calls and texts, plan to use Whats App for calls

I have seen references to Orange eSims - but do they offer anything longer than 14 days? Looking for a eSim for 30 days that offers data, text and voice

Last edited:

€149,-
I have seen references to Orange eSims - but do they offer anything longer than 14 days? Looking for a eSim for 30 days that offers date, text and voice
Best to check their website directly

I have seen references to Orange eSims - but do they offer anything longer than 14 days? Looking for a eSim for 30 days that offers date, text and voice
I had the same question. 6 months back when i looked at Orange, they definitely had a 30 day talk+text+data option with either a french or spanish phone number with the eSIM. Now it is only the 14 day option.

Not sure where the 40 day went !

You might get better results for SIMs/eSIMs if you perform the search in Spanish. That could get you to webpages designed for the locals. Also I think a month's service is usually 28 days, not 30.

I searched for the following:
Orange España 28 Dias Móvil Prepago

The first non-sponsored hit I got was:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You might get better results for SIMs/eSIMs if you perform the search in Spanish. That could get you to webpages designed for the locals. Also I think a month's service is usually 28 days, not 30.

I searched for the following:
Orange España 28 Dias Móvil Prepago

The first non-sponsored hit I got was:
I checked out this site but it appears you need a spanish phone with an existing spanish sim - basically a burner phone offering prepaid packages

I went on to the Spanish Orange site and discovered a few more things:

If you purchase the 14 day holiday package, you can renew it but after 30 days you need to register yourself (I assume you need a passport number)

Voice and text is only for Europe, ie no calls or text back to Canada I gather

You are actually assigned a French phone number (not Spanish

Even though my iPhone SE 2022 is capable of using eSims, Orange does not list as a compatible device

Looking like if I want international voice and text along with data I need a physical Sim or just go with eSim and stick to email (data)

Have you seen these? Lots and lots of details.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had the same question. 6 months back when i looked at Orange, they definitely had a 30 day talk+text+data option with either a french or spanish phone number with the eSIM. Now it is only the 14 day option.

Not sure where the 40 day went !
It seems they don't, but you can extend their 14-day one. If you do that for longer than 30 days, you need to register the number on their site. Their 8 GB one is pretty reasonable, if you're mostly going to be using stuff via wifi anyway.

I went on to the Spanish Orange site and discovered a few more things:

If you purchase the 14 day holiday package, you can renew it but after 30 days you need to register yourself (I assume you need a passport number)

Voice and text is only for Europe, ie no calls or text back to Canada I gather

You are actually assigned a French phone number (not Spanish

Even though my iPhone SE 2022 is capable of using eSims, Orange does not list as a compatible device

Looking like if I want international voice and text along with data I need a physical Sim or just go with eSim and stick to email (data)

I’m a little confused. Perhaps you’re reading something different than me but the FAQ for Orange specifically says you can dial worldwide (Canada) for a set number of minutes.

I’m a little confused. Perhaps you’re reading something different than me but the FAQ for Orange specifically says you can dial worldwide (Canada) for a set number of minutes.
You are correct 30 mins of worldwide calls

FWIW, when I inquired (from my provider’s people) about having to get my phone unlocked, I was told that all phones purchased since about 2018 are already unlocked. I don’t know if that only applies to iPhones; I have an iPhone.
I think that is a requirement now in Canada, for all cell phones.

Anyone used Holafly? unlimited data, no calls or texts and $US99 for 90 days ( I will be in Europe that long)...Orange more expensive and am unsure on the need for a number, calls and texts, plan to use Whats App for calls
Hi, last September I bought a 3 UK through Amazon and it worked fine in London, France, Switzerland and Italy. I was there only 30 daysI'm checking now if it will also work in Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
E-SIM experience TODAY in Spain. I am here now.

If you have an iPhone 13 or earlier with dual sim and are looking for a physical SIM, you can easily pick one up at many places in the Madrid airport. Orange is 20 euro for 100GB for 28 days.
If you have an I-phone 14 with dual sim you will not be able to get one in the airport, as they only carry physical SIM cards. I waited until Pamplona and easily got an e-sim from the Orange store. It too was 20 euro for 100GB and some calling. They charged 5 euro for the e-sim and also let me go ahead and pay another 20 euro for the next 28 days.
It was very easy and the Orange store is a short walk from historical center.

If you have an iPhone 13 or earlier with dual sim and are looking for a physical SIM, you can easily pick one up at many places in the Madrid airport. Orange is 20 euro for 100GB for 28 days.
If you have an I-phone 14 with dual sim you will not be able to get one in the airport, as they only carry physical SIM cards. I waited until Pamplona and easily got an e-sim from the Orange store. It too was 20 euro for 100GB and some calling. They charged 5 euro for the e-sim and also let me go ahead and pay another 20 euro for the next 28 days.
Thanks for the info! Did the e-sim from Orange give you data plus a phone number or just a data plan? Do you know if you can top it off (if needed) electronically or if you would have to stop in at a physical store? Also, I imagine that to add the second 28 days you had to show your passport to register the card, right? I heard it was required for a card that went beyond 30 days.

Thanks for the info! Did the e-sim from Orange give you data plus a phone number or just a data plan? Do you know if you can top it off (if needed) electronically or if you would have to stop in at a physical store? Also, I imagine that to add the second 28 days you had to show your passport to register the card, right? I heard it was required for a card that went beyond 30 days.
You have a phone number and a number of minutes of calling. I didn’t ask about topping off once they offered me the option to go ahead and pay for another 28 days. I’m sure they have easy options if you don’t want to extend it initially.
I’ve always had to show a passport for a sim regardless of the length of time.

Good to know! This seems like a way better deal for an esim than the ones Orange offers for purchase online, which are around $30 for just 14 days, although with unlimited and calling and texting (but way less data). This makes me think I'll just wait till I get to Spain and go to an Orange store first thing in Madrid, where I'll be landing for a few days anyway, before heading up to the Camino.

Yeah, with most of the esims I've looked at (all except Orange), you only get data. If you also want a phone number, you need Orange.

Good to know! This seems like a way better deal for an esim than the ones Orange offers for purchase online, which are around $30 for just 14 days, although with unlimited and calling and texting (but way less data). This makes me think I'll just wait till I get to Spain and go to an Orange store first thing in Madrid, where I'll be landing for a few days anyway, before heading up to the Camino.
There are, of course, many locations, but there is one conveniently located in Puerta del Sol.

So does this eSIMcome with international calls and texts (limited amount) like the online Orange eSIMs ?

So does this eSIMcome with international calls and texts (limited amount) like the online Orange eSIMs ?
I know it comes with some calling but honestly I didn’t ask about texting. No one in Spain text, they use WhatsApp and since there is Wi-Fi everywhere I can text or make a Wi-Fi call home if I really need too….: which is a high bar for me. I live in the states and have t-mobile which is free texting anywhere I go.

I know it comes with some calling but honestly I didn’t ask about texting. No one in Spain text, they use WhatsApp and since there is Wi-Fi everywhere I can text or make a Wi-Fi call home if I really need too….: which is a high bar for me. I live in the states and have t-mobile which is free texting anywhere I go.
Ah ok. Im still on crappy AT&T so they want you to get on some ridiculous $10 a day international plan.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.