• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ear plugs and the alarm

F.Ashley

Time of past OR future Camino
Back in summer 2012!
Hi guys, looks like it's El Camino round 2 (cannot wait!)!
Among all those brilliant/euphoric memories! I'm still haunted to this day by those snorers (no hard feelings :p). With no experience of using ear plugs, i bought these http://tinyurl.com/khkqy8m which were so bad that they could have been mistaken for elevating the sound. An Irish lad sorted me out with a pair made from wax, which were incredible but I've forgotten how they hold up against the alarm. I'd rather not be known for making the early rustlers look good :p

Any ideas on how to cancel out the snorers whilst being woken up by the alarm?

Edit: Some people felt offended, some bad language removed.

Edit 2: This thread has been driven off-topic by a misinterpretation that an alarm will be used every night (taking away from the spirit of the Camino and all that yarda). I wish I did not have to explain myself outside the context of the question but an alarm gives a greater deal of flexibility. Since the use of a vibrating alarm has been mentioned, an option now works which benefits us all. If you wish to continue to berate the purpose of an alarm which does not affect your Camino.. please create a new thread and vent your opinion there.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey use the wax plugs

And to wake you get yourself an UP wristband

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm using mine to log my steps when I walk but the sleep tracking and the gentle alarm is a real winner

I think that this is the case of " you can't have the cake and eat it":rolleyes: Anne

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You spends your money you take your choice

After all it's your camino

Dax

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try setting the alarm on your phone to vibrate. It should be loud enough to wake you up, but not so loud that it wakes up everyone else.

I used to have a watch that would vibrate instead of beep. I think it was a Timex. The trick is to wear it with the clock part on the inside of your wrist if you want the alarm to wake you.

Imagine needing an alarm, now thats what I call sleeping, never had the need myself, always awake at 6 or thereabouts, if you need an alarm can't imagine the "haunting" by snorers applying?
I cant wear earplugs they make my stomach queasy or maybe its my balance/equilibrium so I just sleep/relax as best I can..gets easier with practice at letting go.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi guys, looks like it's El Camino round 2 (cannot waittt!!!)!
Among all those brilliant/euphoric memories! I'm still haunted to this day by those bloody snorers... With no experience of using ear plugs, i bought these http://tinyurl.com/khkqy8m which were so sh*te that they could have been mistaken for elevating the sound. An Irish lad sorted me out with a pair made from wax, which were incredible but I've forgotten how they hold up against the alarm. I'd rather not be known for making the early rustlers look good :p

Any ideas on how to cancel out the snorers whilst being woken up by the alarm?
Alarm - why??? Also F. Ashley, have you ever stopped to think that you also may have been on of 'those bloody snorers'.......? Quite frankly, I felt that this particular comment was in bad taste. Buen 2nd Camino to you.

I have my reasons for an alarm. Some times it's nice to walk in the dark at 4, others to prevent an 8 o'clock lie-in which ear plugs have a habit of doing :D
@susanawee
That line was intended as a joke, no grudges are held :) - yes, i'm probably one of them

Dude, just place the phone under or near your pillow, the alarm will win it from the earplugs for sure :D

I love the foam earplugs. Work fine for me. No experience with the wax once though,

I also think of the snorers as bloody snorers, but i still end up having breakfast, lunch and diner with them and then i tell 'm with a big smile that they are bloody annoying when they sleep and we have a good laugh about it hahaha.
No need to conceal the truth, it's all in the packaging of the message :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In most Albergues there are nang alarms in the form of wonderful people waking up at all hours to toilet pack talk when drunk so why should I add to it with my wrist alarm that simply pulses till I wake

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cant imagine needing an alarm to wake up, but if you feel that you need one, then definitely consider a vibrating alarm. During my March/April camino, I was more bothered by the rare people with alarms than I was by snorers - at least snoring is unintentional noise!

Either way, test it out at home before you go. Sleep with the earplugs and see how quickly your alarm wakes you up. Should be pretty easy to test out!

I get the alarm. You want to stick to your own plan, so you want to get up when you want to, not if somebody else makes enough noise at the time you want to get up.

I used an alarm now and then. With my well working cheap as *** foam earplugs i could escape from the world and sleep trough other peoples noise. Often i would wake up and see the whole room almost empty hahah. The only thing that woke me up was my alarm next to me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Peronel - just once last year I left my phone on noisy alarm by mistake plugged into a walk socket across the room. No one has ever seen me move as fast as I did when it bleeped loudly at 5:30am

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Earplugs just dull the sound, they dont make it silent. I can usually hear my alarm through them. My neighbours have very loud dogs that get left alone a lot so I use silicone earplugs at home now and again.

You'll need more than ear protection if you set an alarm for 4am in a dorm. Especially if I was in the next bunk :)

I agree Kanga. Why do people use an alarm on the camino. Makes no sense to me.

Maybe they think they are going to work? Or need to meet someone at a set time? Or they have a time critical task? The Camino and an alarm clock. That's a conundrum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With all due respect, most of your comments are out of context to the alarms purpose (which hasn't been strictly outlined) and also that of this thread. If this were my first Camino the question "should I/shan't I" may have been asked, but this is Camino #2.

We can all agree, a vibrating alarm works for everyone.

If you wish to continue berating alarms, please set up a new thread.

Last edited:
I got the smallest ear buds I could find. Put in my ears and turn my iPod all the way down. Worked like a charm. Alarms! who needs alarms. I get up when I wake up and leave when I'm ready. Walking the Camino is not a race it's a experience.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.