• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ear Plugs and Trumpets

Stephenpalssi

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4, 2023
Hello fellow pilgrims, (I thought I had posted this already) sorry if I did.

I would like to reach out in the spirit of our Camino and help if I can.

My subject as the title suggests is earplugs. Yes, you heard it ear plugs.

I believe that I had come across someone posting an inquiry about snoring and the potential of the lack of sleep at multi pilgrim albergues.

“albergue is one or several dormitory rooms with bunk beds (and snoring people).”

Of course, this is of great concern to me, myself, and I who will wake at a flea’s giggle from a deep slumber. (I am a very light sleeper as you may have guessed)

I learned from my audible experiences that this is not to be trifled with, especially after a long day’s trek. You and I need our sleep to carry on the next day in to be in full form, end ofear plugs.jpg story.

Picture this, you are laying your head to rest, you had your glass or two of wine, or in substitution your favorite painkillers. The lights are out you snuggle, and you breathe a comforting sigh. Then a few minutes pass…..

GABRIEL’S TRUMPET blasts from two cots away from you.​

The sonic blast reverberates throughout the dorm, there is no escape.. you are trapped.

This very thing happened to me years ago and I ended up sleeping in the cab of my pick-up truck (very uncomfortable unless you are a small dog)

There is a solution, and it has been my savior in these situations… custom earplugs. No not the twisting foam plug things that sort of and sort of not fit and hurt after a while.

I have used my custom earplugs traveling and they have saved me from:

Trumpeters, gurglers, wheezers, and believe it or not meow-ers (true story I thought that there was a cat in the room).

In Canada, they are about $125.00 to have made. The process to have them made is quite painless and usually takes about a week to have them cast and ready to pick up.

I will not travel without them. I have used them successfully motorcycling, on overnight trains, screaming kids on airplanes, and at my teenage daughter’s parties. They are worth every penny, believe me.

Hope this helps all the very best to you.

Pilgrim Pisti

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My partner uses beeswax earplugs. These are also mouldable, comfortable to wear and relatively cheap. Their only drawback is that they are made of wax and so tend to shrink after repeatedly being inserted into and removed from the ear.

Last edited:
I’ve had a pair of custom sleeping plugs made by my local audiologist. A bit pricey at just over £80 pounds but they’re excellent. Easy to insert, comfortable with excellent noise reduction. They’re also very hygienic as they’re made of medical grade washable silicone.

Most read last week in this forum

Am arriving St. Jean 31st March (Easter Sunday), and start walking April 1st. Any suggestions about how busy St. Jean is likely to be, and whether it's necessary to book a hostel?
Hallo everyone, first of all, thank you to you all for being so generous sharing your questions and experience. When I was not sure when my next camino would start reading about socks choice...
I know October is not a month with many pilgrims but will we have a calendar for checking in on this section of the forum?
Hi, I’m Jen. I live in the US in Vancouver, Washington which is part of the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. I am planning to walk the Camino Portugués. I will take the traditional central...
Hey everyone, I am Ali, going to do two weeks of camino the french way. I am based in Barcelona so I will start my journey by going to Pampolna on March 23rd and from there to Saint Jean Pied de...
I leave Richmond, VA, for SJPdP, arriving on Monday, 25 March. Many thanks to Ivar for creating this community forum and for all the contributions from so many pilgrims! The resources, insights...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.