• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ear plugs) Sponge or Layered?

CollinSK

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked French way in 2016
Unfortunately, I am also a sensitive person. 😭😭😭😥😥😥😥😓 So I cannot sleep in dormitories or albergues without ear plugs. There is no doubt that ear plugs are necessary to have a good sleep. Which type of ear plugs can be more effective a typical sponge/foam model or layered model?

Some examples are
1) Typical sponge/foam model and cheap : https://amzn.to/2JcWGP0
2) Layered model but expensive: https://amzn.to/33HpE2T

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
2) Layered model but expensive: https://amzn.to/2QDAgLa
The expensive model is for people who want to lower the volume but retain clarity of sound - Ideal for a person who wants to protect their hearing at a loud concert, for example. When it comes to sleeping in an albergue, I think you want ear plugs that:
- Shut out sound
- Can be used without discomfort
- Are cheap enough that you can replace when you mislay or forget them
On that basis, I guess that foam is a good compromise for most people.

If you want to spend lots of money, you can get custom made ear plugs, as explained here:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use cheap earplugs that are similar to what @davebugg uses. I buy them at a hardware store and usually put 4 or 5 packs in my gear when I go as they weigh nothing. On my first camino a woman from Brazil taught me a great way to use them after I was telling her the sound was getting through from really loud snorers. She taught me to twist them in one direction until they are thin. Stick it in my ear and as they were expanding twist them immediately in the opposite direction. This will create a really good seal. This advice works great for me and the plugs usually stay in the whole night.

I used on my Camino inexpensive Mack’s silicone earplugs that can be easily shaped to fit your ear and shut out or reduce sound to reasonable levels.

I'm a very light sleeper,
I use the wax ones, mold into a cone shape and insert in ear (pointy bit first) pressing gently, wait till they warm up to body temperature, then push in firmly and make certain that they are in contact with the ear especially on the outside edges.
I am quite fussy about doing it carefully.
A pair will last about two weeks before they start to look horrible.
Works for me, hope it works for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I personally get the best results without spending much money using these amazing, inexpensive, "very dense" foam ear plugs. I never woke up earlier than I wanted in the albergues and was amazed at how I did not hear all the noise of bag rustlers until I woke up on my own and pulled them out. They are two tone color.
Screenshot_2020-03-24-07-59-53.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am also a sensitive person. 😭😭😭😥😥😥😥😓 So I cannot sleep in dormitories or albergues without ear plugs. There is no doubt that ear plugs are necessary to have a good sleep. Which type of ear plugs can be more effective a typical sponge/foam model or layered model?

Some examples are
1) Typical sponge/foam model and cheap : https://amzn.to/2JcWGP0
2) Layered model but expensive: https://amzn.to/33HpE2T

Have very narrow external auditory canals so sponge and layered ones fall out.....I discovered wax ear plugs......soooo good I only hear my heart beating and my lungs breathing.

I use these:
Go Travel Quiet Zone Reusable Sound Filtering Earplugs - Ear Plugs Blocks out Snoring.
Snoring has a lower frequency as opposite to music which has a higher frequency.
Good luck with your search :)
Go Travel_.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In 2018 (Sept.-Oct) camino Frances I thought I was being a good citizen by using a "SNOREBAN" mouthpiece so as to not disturb my fellow albergue pilgrims. First three nights, no comment from roommates in St. Jean, Orrison, & Roncesvalles . Fourth night in Zubiri at the Municipal (6 euro). I'm the last guy to arrive, go up to 4 person room and am met upon entering by two lovely ladies. First one comes up to me, about a foot from my face, and before saying hello, or how are you, or what's your name, she says "DO YOU SNORE?" I smile, pull out my trusty SNOREBAN, and tell her to relax, they won't hear a peep out of me. We all go out for dinner & wine and I get the company of a lovely widow from Ireland, and a lovely mother of two from Brisbane. Both are educators in the Netherlands. The last couple of nights they have not gotten much sleep due to snoring roommates. We all go to bed. I sleep great. Next morning they are staring menacingly at me as I greet them with a cheery "good morning". Turns out I was the worst night yet! The SNOREBAN was a complete failure!
Amazingly they let me walk with them to Pamplona, and we continued to enjoy each other's company. At Zabaldika, about 8 km from Pamplona, we stopped at the San Esteban church so we could climb the belfry and ring the church bells. Unfortunately, we were told by the adjacent hospitelara that the nun would not be there until 6pm to open the church. 4 hour wait wasn't going to work so we were on our way out the door (2pm) when the cook comes into the lobby. "Do you like roast beef? We have a little left over from last night, come have a taste". So we go into the big dining room/kitchen where he places 3 plates, wine glasses and a bread basket in front of us. Then he goes over to the oven and pulls out a roasting pan with a big chunk of roast beef and carrots, and potatoes. Places it on table and fills our wine glasses. We are the only ones at the albergue and it's now closer to 3pm. "OK, you convinced us, we'll stay here tonight! " AH, but the ladies (I call them my Dutch treat) wanted to make sure that they could be in a room at one end with my room off on far side or different floor. They were no dummies. Later on the Albergue filled up (they were turning pilgrims away), we got to climb the belfry and ring the bells, nice service for about 20 of us, followed by a great dinner from Juan (the other hospitalero/cook). The albergue was a donativo, but I left 20 euros for a great experience. The girls & I spent the next day/night in Pamplona (separate rooms and my italian roommate kept me awake with horrible snoring. The girls were going to take the bus back home from Pamplona, but decided to keep me company to Puente La Reina before the left me standing at the bus stop with a surprise peck on the cheek from each before they boarded the bus and waved goodbye, leaving me with a huge lump in my throat. For the rest of the camino, whenever possible, I would ask for a private room if available and ended up paying 20 to 40 euros per night. My contribution to fellow pilgrims sanity. 2nd camino in 2019, I brought my 4 pound CPAP breathing/anti snoring machine. If you can believe this, Loretto and Frances met me where they had stopped the year before, at Puente La Reina, and we walked together to Burgos, for another sad parting- but no issues about Mike's sleep apnea snoring, and I was back in the typical albergue dorm experience.

I shoot trap and skeet at clay targets with a 12 gauge shotgun. We are required to use ear and eye protection at the range. I took my shooting ear plugs on Camino in case it was too loud to sleep. They are E.A.R. custom molded do- it-yourself plugs that come in a two part mold. You mix the two part soft mold (like a two part epoxy glue) and put it in your ear where it "hardens" to shape exactly fitting your ear. This is OSHA serious ear protection rated NRR26. They are very comfortable and designed to block out the sound of a 12 gauge shotgun - sleep like a baby! They are about $20.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use cheap earplugs that are similar to what @davebugg uses. I buy them at a hardware store and usually put 4 or 5 packs in my gear when I go as they weigh nothing. On my first camino a woman from Brazil taught me a great way to use them after I was telling her the sound was getting through from really loud snorers. She taught me to twist them in one direction until they are thin. Stick it in my ear and as they were expanding twist them immediately in the opposite direction. This will create a really good seal. This advice works great for me and the plugs usually stay in the whole night.

Aha, twisting is the key! Yay~

The expensive model is for people who want to lower the volume but retain clarity of sound - Ideal for a person who wants to protect their hearing at a loud concert, for example. When it comes to sleeping in an albergue, I think you want ear plugs that:
- Shut out sound
- Can be used without discomfort
- Are cheap enough that you can replace when you mislay or forget them
On that basis, I guess that foam is a good compromise for most people.

If you want to spend lots of money, you can get custom made ear plugs, as explained here:

"Cheap and practical" ear plugs will be good. Comparatively, I am testing now "wax and layered" ear plugs. And I hear my heart pounding. Hmm. I need time to get used to it. Thanks for your advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I shoot trap and skeet at clay targets with a 12 gauge shotgun. We are required to use ear and eye protection at the range. I took my shooting ear plugs on Camino in case it was too loud to sleep. They are E.A.R. custom molded do- it-yourself plugs that come in a two part mold. You mix the two part soft mold (like a two part epoxy glue) and put it in your ear where it "hardens" to shape exactly fitting your ear. This is OSHA serious ear protection rated NRR26. They are very comfortable and designed to block out the sound of a 12 gauge shotgun - sleep like a baby! They are about $20.

I am pretty sure that sleeping like a baby is possible if the ear plugs can work that fine. Thanks for the info~

In 2018 (Sept.-Oct) camino Frances I thought I was being a good citizen by using a "SNOREBAN" mouthpiece so as to not disturb my fellow albergue pilgrims. First three nights, no comment from roommates in St. Jean, Orrison, & Roncesvalles . Fourth night in Zubiri at the Municipal (6 euro). I'm the last guy to arrive, go up to 4 person room and am met upon entering by two lovely ladies. First one comes up to me, about a foot from my face, and before saying hello, or how are you, or what's your name, she says "DO YOU SNORE?" I smile, pull out my trusty SNOREBAN, and tell her to relax, they won't hear a peep out of me. We all go out for dinner & wine and I get the company of a lovely widow from Ireland, and a lovely mother of two from Brisbane. Both are educators in the Netherlands. The last couple of nights they have not gotten much sleep due to snoring roommates. We all go to bed. I sleep great. Next morning they are staring menacingly at me as I greet them with a cheery "good morning". Turns out I was the worst night yet! The SNOREBAN was a complete failure!
Amazingly they let me walk with them to Pamplona, and we continued to enjoy each other's company. At Zabaldika, about 8 km from Pamplona, we stopped at the San Esteban church so we could climb the belfry and ring the church bells. Unfortunately, we were told by the adjacent hospitelara that the nun would not be there until 6pm to open the church. 4 hour wait wasn't going to work so we were on our way out the door (2pm) when the cook comes into the lobby. "Do you like roast beef? We have a little left over from last night, come have a taste". So we go into the big dining room/kitchen where he places 3 plates, wine glasses and a bread basket in front of us. Then he goes over to the oven and pulls out a roasting pan with a big chunk of roast beef and carrots, and potatoes. Places it on table and fills our wine glasses. We are the only ones at the albergue and it's now closer to 3pm. "OK, you convinced us, we'll stay here tonight! " AH, but the ladies (I call them my Dutch treat) wanted to make sure that they could be in a room at one end with my room off on far side or different floor. They were no dummies. Later on the Albergue filled up (they were turning pilgrims away), we got to climb the belfry and ring the bells, nice service for about 20 of us, followed by a great dinner from Juan (the other hospitalero/cook). The albergue was a donativo, but I left 20 euros for a great experience. The girls & I spent the next day/night in Pamplona (separate rooms and my italian roommate kept me awake with horrible snoring. The girls were going to take the bus back home from Pamplona, but decided to keep me company to Puente La Reina before the left me standing at the bus stop with a surprise peck on the cheek from each before they boarded the bus and waved goodbye, leaving me with a huge lump in my throat. For the rest of the camino, whenever possible, I would ask for a private room if available and ended up paying 20 to 40 euros per night. My contribution to fellow pilgrims sanity. 2nd camino in 2019, I brought my 4 pound CPAP breathing/anti snoring machine. If you can believe this, Loretto and Frances met me where they had stopped the year before, at Puente La Reina, and we walked together to Burgos, for another sad parting- but no issues about Mike's sleep apnea snoring, and I was back in the typical albergue dorm experience.

haha. Long story~! I even didn't know that I snored when I was exhausted. And I found out there were more snoring people although that was not their intention. (fatigue should have been the reason). I am wondering what 4 pound CPAP breathing/anti snoring machine would be. I might consider it for my partner, too 🥰 🥰 🥰

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back