• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ear plugs

• Thread starter Former member 42123
  • Start date
F

Former member 42123

After my first Camino I was aware of the value and necessity of ear plugs.I allways carry a bag of earplugs with me to use and offer to nearby sleepers if in smaller rooms(I too snore).On C.P.this year I shared a two bed room with a gentleman from France ,who had walked many Camino's.As is my habit,I offered him earplugs and he fell about laughing.He said no thanks,but it was the funniest thing he had ever seen on Camino.He insisted I hold my bag of earplugs so he could photo us,and assured me this would be his "story" of his Camino,and he would tell all at home about this Irish Peregrino with his special equipment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After my first Camino I was aware of the value and necessity of ear plugs.I allways carry a bag of earplugs with me to use and offer to nearby sleepers if in smaller rooms(I too snore).On C.P.this year I shared a two bed room with a gentleman from France ,who had walked many Camino's.As is my habit,I offered him earplugs and he fell about laughing.He said no thanks,but it was the funniest thing he had ever seen on Camino.He insisted I hold my bag of earplugs so he could photo us,and assured me this would be his "story" of his Camino,and he would tell all at home about this Irish Peregrino with his special equipment.
Hola
I take a set of noise cancelling ear phones. They work wonders. Not so much of a help to those around me although I seldom snore.My wife says my snoring is alcohol related. I disagree, it's relaxation related of course, at least that's what they told me at my last meeting

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Any alternatives to earplugs? I have problems using them - they don't stay in my ears too well (very narrow ear canal), plus they make my ears itchy (allergy to the material?) which can lead to outer ear infection. I don't want to spend money investing in noise canceling headphones and I don't own any electronics anyway!

Any alternatives to earplugs? I have problems using them - they don't stay in my ears too well (very narrow ear canal), plus they make my ears itchy (allergy to the material?) which can lead to outer ear infection. I don't want to spend money investing in noise canceling headphones and I don't own any electronics anyway!

I'm afflicted with the narrow ear canal thing but as a long time motorcycle rider it was either plugs or deafness. I use Howard Leight Laser Lite as they are very soft and compressible and don't press hard when they expand. I'll be taking six packs with me as they would only weigh a couple of grams each. I'd be looking at throwing them away after one use to see if that solved the irritation thing.

If not there are different style of plugs and Etymotic http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html are a leading exponent of these.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@rossmckay Thanks for the info! I'll check into the Howard Leight Laser earplugs to see if they are available here in Canada. I like that you say they don't press hard when they expand. I find the foam ones hurt when they expand. The other alternative is to let my ear wax really build up and have the most 'natural ear plugs ever'...and hear nothing night or day!!

I too, found them invaluable. With all the snoring, movement, etc I couldn't have slept without them

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I had a similar humorous snoring incident. I walked with some men from Catalonia one day. At the albergue I got a top bunk with one of the men on the bottom bunk. He tied a string around his wrist and then looped it up to my bunk and told me to just tug on the string if he snored. I said "okay?!?"....and then the three men broke out laughing. I of course took a photo to share at home! (thank goodness I did have ear plugs since he was telling the truth when he said he snored!)

I like that you say they don't press hard when they expand. I find the foam ones hurt when they expand. The other alternative is to let my ear wax really build up and have the most 'natural ear plugs ever'...and hear nothing night or day!!
I use soft earplugs which mould to the shape of the ear. They are the only kind that don't pop right out of my ears. The best are the wax and cotton ones. You can get them in Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada. I think that the cotton helps them to stay in one piece, so they can easily be removed. I also have silicone ear plugs, but I find that they cannot be used too many times, or they will disintegrate, leaving half of the plug material in the ear. I find that any soft ear plug is irritating to my ears if used over and over, so throw them out after a few uses and use fresh ones. Both come in packs with several sets.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In my experience no earplug can drown out some snorers, because it's not just the noise - it's the fact the snoring resonates, and you can actually feels the vibrations.

Someone on the forum noted they had used an all wax variety which adapted readily to the ear canal shape.
Anyone have any knowledge or a link to same?
Regds
Gerard

I now always use Ototaps, after many years of trying all sorts of things. http://ototap.es/tapones-cera-ototap-oto-tap.html They are made of wax, and even though the picture on the website doesn't look like it, they are covered with a light white fuzzy material, kind of like peach fuzz. When warmed up, they mold to the shape of your ear. They are very inexpensive, last for a few uses, and are readily available. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Someone on the forum noted they had used an all wax variety which adapted readily to the ear canal shape.
Regds
Gerard

I love my earplugs!!! They are also made from wax and cotton, they are from 'Boots the Chemist' in the UK and are called 'Muffles'. I once woke up to a symphony of snorers and they had protected me completely!

I used to have problems with ear plugs falling out. In preparation for walking the Camino, I bought an 'ear plug variety trial pack 11 pairs', sold by 3M, from Amazon UK. The pack contained quite a variety of plugs - many made of soft material, and in a variety of sizes. Then, having found that 1 variety suited me, I bought a pack of 20. Neither purchase cost any more than buying a pack of 3 ear plugs from Boots on the high street.

A light sleeper, I was a little concerned about any noise. After years of trying near every brand which, hurt my ears and fell out, I decided to have them custom made. Turns out I have small ear canals. These work wonderfully, block out all the background noise, don't hurt and stay in place. I consider them well worth the investment for a sound sleep.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Regds
Gerard
Gerard, I've used wax ear plugs for years because my husband snores badly. Boots Chemist (British- based company although they have some shops in overseas airport like Dubai) do a pack of about six (if I recall well). They're comfortable, mould to your ear & block out noise very well (in fact so well that one summer's evening years back, my son forgot his house key & was unable to wake me even though my bedroom window was open, eventually he had to crawl into the dog kennel & curl up with our two Labradors for the rest of the night together with a friend's daughter who was spending the summer with us!!).
Regards
Suzanne :)

Gerard, I've used wax ear plugs for years because my husband snores badly. Boots Chemist (British- based company although they have some shops in overseas airport like Dubai) do a pack of about six (if I recall well). They're comfortable, mould to your ear & block out noise very well (in fact so well that one summer's evening years back, my son forgot his house key & was unable to wake me even though my bedroom window was open, eventually he had to crawl into the dog kennel & curl up with our two Labradors for the rest of the night together with a friend's daughter who was spending the summer with us!!).
Regards
Suzanne :)
Thank you very kindly ma'am.
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.