• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ear pod recommendations

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
I have never used ear pods but thinking they would be useful for white noise apps, or for watching a video. I prefer to walk without music. I am reluctant to pay the high price for the Apple brand, ( although use an IPhone and IPad) and would worry less about loss. Any make or model suggestions?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first ear pods were rip-off ones for iPhone. I loved the concept but they never really worked the way they should have and stopped working entirely after a couple of months. So I decided to splurge on the Apple ones and they have worked almost perfectly for about two years now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use inexpensive wired ear buds to listen to podcasts in the evening when I'm going to sleep. I find that rather than trying to completely block out sounds of snoring, traffic, etc. it's better for me to listen to something interesting.
My earbuds are very soft silicone which are comfortable when I sleep in my side.

Hello,
I have never used ear pods but thinking they would be useful for white noise apps, or for watching a video. I prefer to walk without music. I am reluctant to pay the high price for the Apple brand, ( although use an IPhone and IPad) and would worry less about loss. Any make or model suggestions?
I have teeny tiny ears and find the weight and size of earbuds and earpods to be painful. My partner loves his Raycon ear buds, good battery life, excellent sound. I've settled for Shokz bone conducting headphones, which are useless for blocking out external noises, but I can hear people walking or biking behind me and can get out of the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have had AirPods Pro for several years and they are honestly hard to beat if you’re out walking in them. The transparency mode allows you to perfectly hear everything around you while you still enjoy your entertainment. It’s honestly incredible. But if it’s for white noise and to help with sleeping I’d also say wired ones might be better as they’ll be lighter and perhaps less obtrusive.

I would suggest just using comfortable wired ear buds that are compatible with your phone since they are so inexpensive. There are some great quality ear buds for cheap prices. The advantage of wired is they don't need to be recharged and they are less likely to get lost. If you do go for wireless - you might want to wear a buff or something while using them so you are less likely to drop/lose one. I did bring wireless on my last Camino and there was no real advantage and a couple disadvantages such as the charging/risk of losing. Never had to worry about either the previous year when I carried my wired ear buds. Oh - wired are also lighter and easier to replace.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,
Hi, I’m love my Shokz they’re comfortable all day. Hard to lose. And don’t block your ears so you can still hear what’s going on around you.

On the wired side, I've always liked SkullCandy. You may notice pictures that look the same but one is more expensive - the cheaper one probably just has a microphone on one side, but the more expensive one has the microphone AND mute button AND you can answer calls with the push of a button ... that sort of thing.

Hello,
Have you considered switching to hairband earphones? I find them more comfortable for sleeping etc.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098F5TWPN/?tag=casaivar02-20

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used the Jabra 75t on my last camino.
I did not find them to comfortable. But that may be related to having funny ears or whatever.
For an hour or two, they are ok. For all day, i dont like them.
For walking, i feel they make to much noise (like i guess all In-Ear variants) and i dont like how they block out my surroundings, so i will continue to walk without earpods.
For watching a film before falling asleep or making a call they are pretty good, but i, again personally, would never like to actually sleep with these kind of headphones in my ears.

Hi, I’m love my Shokz they’re comfortable all day. Hard to lose. And don’t block your ears so you can still hear what’s going on around you.
I love my Aeropex bone conduction earphones, too, for these reasons. They have changed my life and I highly recommend them.

However I would not take them on the Camino because they are expensive and do NOT block noise. So, they are useless on an airplane or in a noisy albergue, as well as being awkward to lie down on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@auburnfive - it's important to know exactly how and when you plan to use ear buds.
I have never used ear pods but thinking they would be useful for white noise apps, or for watching a video. I prefer to walk without music
This leads me to think that you want to use them only in the albergues, and perhaps while you are sleeping.

If for sleeping, you really need something that will be very comfortable and unobtrusive, which is why I recommended the very soft wired ear buds.
I have Samsung Buds Plus Bluetooth earbuds that I love to wear while working around the house and on my daily walks, but they would not be comfortable to sleep in.

Thanks for your suggestions folks, I’ve gotten into a bad habit of falling asleep to a podcast, and don’t think my roommates will appreciate also listening

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your suggestions folks, I’ve gotten into a bad habit of falling asleep to a podcast, and don’t think my roommates will appreciate also listening
I fall asleep to a podcast almost every night - that's why I have tried different earbud options and settled on the cheapie soft silicone earbuds.

My first ear pods were rip-off ones for iPhone. I loved the concept but they never really worked the way they should have and stopped working entirely after a couple of months. So I decided to splurge on the Apple ones and they have worked almost perfectly for about two years now.

I am using the ones with a cable - I am an iPhone user - and they are fine for listening to something to put me to sleep - and for the day. And not a great trauma if lost or they stop working.

I love my Shokz, too. I wear them on my training walks and like how I can listen to music and still hear outside sounds.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.