• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Earliest recommended date to walk Portuguese coastal route?

Marymac

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Frances (2011)
Camino Portuguese (2016)
Hi,

Planning to do the coastal route and wonder if early April is too soon to start our trek. We live on the coast on the other side of the Atlantic, so we're familiar with the uncertainties of Atlantic weather, but wonder about temperature in Portugal that time of year, also if accommodation would be problematic. Hope to hear from anyone who's walked this route in early April.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You never know about the Portuguese weather. Specially in the north. I assume you will start in Porto ?
The temperature can be low (about 12 -13 °Celsius ) but also rather high (18 till 20°)
Take care you have your clothing in layers to protect you against the wind and good raingear.
Bom caminho

We walked from Porto in late March. Rainy, as in hours of rain every single day, but not cold. Just keep watching the weather websites!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked Matosinhos to Vila do Conde two days ago and it was really warm and sunny, very mild breeze. Was in short sleeves at the end of the day. The place I stayed in Vila do Conde was almost completely empty.
It's true though, weather in this area is ever-changing.

I walked from Porto to SdC last year beginning march 26th. A bit breezy, 16/17 degrees to begin with, getting to the mid-20s by the time I go to Padron just 25km before SdC. I t really just depends on luck at this time of year. I got sunburnt on the second day when it was clear blue skies and I dont burn easy.

I've moved this into our "coastal route from Porto" subsection, Marymac, but if you are planning to walk from Lisbon, let me know and I'll move it.

And welcome to the forum, Marymac! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for your answers to my question. I guess whether on the Canadian Atlantic coast where I live, or the Portuguese Atlantic Coast, April weather is always iffy. We'll be hitting the trail near Lisbon around April 12 th ready for whatever the weather has in store for us. At least it will be much warmer than in Nova Scotia. We're still hovering just above and below zero degrees. We had snow a few days ago.

I'll be starting the Coastal Route on 9th April from Porto (I will walk to the Coast on the 8th and metro back to the city/maybe). I look forward to swimming in seas that might be 15 c..and walking with the Sea beside me.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back