• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Earliest starting point on Canal du Midi into Toulouse?

Karl G

Time of past OR future Camino
August and September 2019 - Arles
Does anyone know if you can walk the Canal du Midi from the point a few km before Montferrand (which is a short distance before Avignonet Lauragais) into Toulouse?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anyone know if you can walk the Canal du Midi from the point a few km before Montferrand (which is a short distance before Avignonet Lauragais) into Toulouse?

Yes, I stayed at the Fasthotel, having walked FROM Toulouse along the Canal. I then followed the trail alongside La Rigole, with Montferrand over to my left.

Thanks so much - I was looking at the Fasthotel option as accommodations seem scare in that area. It’s either that or the church in Montferrand. Staying at either will make the next stage a little longer than I’d like unless I take the Canal du Midi.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Note that the Fasthotel does not sell alcohol as it is in a freeway stopover! The only place you can buy a glass of wine or a beer is at the restaurant on the lake if you order a meal. I had to survive on a non-alcoholic beer in the café while waiting for the restaurant to open at about 7.30pm.

I LOVED the 2-day walk along the Canal du Midi – I took my time, stopping to watch the boats going through the locks.

I stayed at the Gite du Pelerins at Ayguevives, about a km or two off the trail. It’s about half way along between the Fast hotel and Toulouse. It doesn’t have many beds, so best to phone or text the day before. It costs 15 euros (bed only). I didn’t see a shop anywhere in the village, but fortunately I had a few provisions with me from Toulouse.

Note that the Fasthotel does not sell alcohol as it is in a freeway stopover! The only place you can buy a glass of wine or a beer is at the restaurant on the lake if you order a meal. I had to survive on a non-alcoholic beer in the café while waiting for the restaurant to open at about 7.30pm.

I LOVED the 2-day walk along the Canal du Midi – I took my time, stopping to watch the boats going through the locks.

I stayed at the Gite du Pelerins at Ayguevives, about a km or two off the trail. It’s about half way along between the Fast hotel and Toulouse. It doesn’t have many beds, so best to phone or text the day before. It costs 15 euros (bed only). I didn’t see a shop anywhere in the village, but fortunately I had a few provisions with me from Toulouse.
Good to know about the possible lack of provisions in Ayguesvives. It won’t be the first time I’ve relied on my reserve trail mix and an apple if need be. Maybe Montferrand is the place to stay. Not sure if they serve wine with the communal meal!

I’m also glad to hear the walk along the canal the whole way is enjoyable. Gronze seems to really discourage taking that extra leg of that route.

Last edited:
Yup, totally get your rest stop and lack of alcoholic refreshment comments having gone through there two nights ago!

Thanks for encouraging the walk along the canal. My experience was like yours. Beautiful, peaceful, a real treat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back