• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early April and Orisson Refuge

GoldSparkle

Time of past OR future Camino
Beginning my first Camino Frances on April 4, 2016.
Hi everyone, I'm schedule to start walking on my birthday, April 4. I emailed the Orisson refuge on January 2nd asking to reserve on April 4 and I got a response on Jan 12 that said:

"At this period of the year we don't know if the weather is good so just call us the day before to know if the refuge is open."

Which is mildly concerning. But I suppose if they're not open or available on April 4 it's straight to Roncesvalles for me!

Is anyone else walking early April who tried to get a reservation at Orisson? I've seen people get reservations for mid and late April. I've got a small foot problem and really hope to be able to split the first day in half.

Alison

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The end of March does NOT necessarily mean the end of winter weather! Route N135 from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles MIGHT be left totally unplowed in bad storms. Do indeed check the weather forecasts at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP before setting off on either the Napoleon route or the Valcarlos alternate and be prepared to alter your plans.

Nevertheless the Valcarlos municipal albergue is always open throughout the year as is an albergue at Roncesvalles monastery.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If they are not open, there are plenty of places in SJPP that will be open.
You can easily walk back down to SJPP and spend a second night there, then taxi back up to Orisson to continue over the mountain.
However, if the refuge is closed, that most likely means there is snow and you should not be walking over, but taking the alternative route.

If Orrison is closed because of bad weather, but you have already paid for your reservation in advance (as required), would you get a refund??

Hi everyone, I'm schedule to start walking on my birthday, April 4. I emailed the Orisson refuge on January 2nd asking to reserve on April 4 and I got a response on Jan 12 that said:

"At this period of the year we don't know if the weather is good so just call us the day before to know if the refuge is open."

Which is mildly concerning. But I suppose if they're not open or available on April 4 it's straight to Roncesvalles for me!

Is anyone else walking early April who tried to get a reservation at Orisson? I've seen people get reservations for mid and late April. I've got a small foot problem and really hope to be able to split the first day in half.

Alison
Hey Alison, I will be starting on April 1st, also having received the same msg from orison. Depending on the weather I may do the valcarlos route, since I don't want the pressure of making it to Roncesvalles on my 1st day out . You walking alone, too ? Buen Camino, and it's fun to say "see you out there"
Gypsywind

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alison,
I received the same reply today. The Camino will provide. So I am not stressing and will go with it and see what opportunities present themselves.
Dave & H.

By the way, Orrison didn't ask for payment. Just said call a day prior.

If Orrison is closed, you can always walk the Valcarlos route ...
Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Alison

kle, post: 368691, member: 51575"]Hi everyone, I'm schedule to start walking on my birthday, April 4. I emailed the Orisson refuge on January 2nd asking to reserve on April 4 and I got a response on Jan 12 that said:

Alison[/QUOTE]
We are planning

We are planning to start on the 5th of April and stay overnight at Orisson and got the same reply so will play it by ear. We may see you

I'm planning on starting on the 2nd April & also received the same reply. Finger crossed for fine weather, I'd really like to take this route. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Alison
Hello Alison (the name of my friend who turned me onto the Camino 15 yrs ago).
I am starting April 1st, first camino, solo walker. I received the same email, and am looking into the Valcarlos route if I feel like the weather is going to be an issue. I am going to split the first day, (as I am a bit old & chubby!!) so I will change my route to do so. Happy Early Birthday, I will be somewhere on the camino, for my 55th on May 3rd! Hope to see you out there, Buen Camino

I received the same email when I emailed late December (I wanted a reservation for 10th April). I didn't feel comfortable with leaving it to the last minute and so I emailed again just a couple of days ago and they took my booking, sent me another email to pay them by paypal and transaction is now complete! I hope to reach Santiago on my 52nd birthday!

Re Orisson,
as we are arriving early April and they cannot take bookings yet, are you able to turn up at the pilgrims office in St Jean and they can let you know if it is open and perhaps book you a spot?
Regards Susan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been trying to book on line for 13 April this year, but the reCAPTCHA tick seems to be faulty or not work from Australia. I have tried calling both phone numbers but only get the answering machine with no capacity to leave a voice mail.
I have also sent email to the address outside of their website but have received no reply from there either.
Can anyone help me with further suggestions of how to contact them from Oz?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Alison,
I'm also planning to walk from St Jean on 5th April. ..and hoping to stay first night at Orisson. Haven't even tried to book, but thanks to your posting I will email today. Thanks...and hope to meet you on the way.
Ali

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I dont know if this is true but I was told last April when I booked into Orisson that if the route was to get worse overnight while staying there, he drives the pilgrims down to Arneguy on the ValCarlos route. Seems he will refund money paid if the route is closed before you start. Also, to make my booking, I did so by directly emailing them.

We start from St Jean on the 5th too! I was just going to ring a day or so before to orisson as I saw on the weather report ? Snow. We live on the coast here in Australia so we will probably struggle with the altitude.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm planning on starting on the 2nd April & also received the same reply. Finger crossed for fine weather, I'd really like to take this route. :)
The Valcarlos route is a great route to according to my wife anyway she walked this route in 2013.
Wish you well, Peter.

Alison
Hi Alison, I also got the same email from Refuge Orisson just last week. And I also got an email just days ago from my upcoming stay at St Jean hostel owner saying that it is still winter and there is snow and the pilgrims are walking the Valcarlos route. I will be in SJPP early April. So I will go which ever way is recommended. I also wish to stop half way :) either route allows this. Happy Birthday, what a grand gift to yourself!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They took my booking 2 weeks ago for my stay on 10th April....
Interesting because they told me to wait until the night before to ring them as the weather issue... they sent me this email on March 22. I am not stressed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Alison, I also got the same email from Refuge Orisson just last week. And I also got an email just days ago from my upcoming stay at St Jean hostel owner saying that it is still winter and there is snow and the pilgrims are walking the Valcarlos route. I will be in SJPP early April. So I will go which ever way is recommended. I also wish to stop half way :) either route allows this. Happy Birthday, what a grand gift to yourself!

hello all. I just stumbled upon this thread and was curious if anyone knew current weather conditions from SJPP to Roncesvalles. My son and I plan on departing SJPP the morning of April 7th and would like to make it all the way to Roncesvalles first day. Need we bring boots for potential snow accumulation on the trail? Many thanks .

Alison
Took mine for the 14th

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Reedmont snow is forecast for the 7th. Please check with the pilgrim office before you set out - we have already had a couple of rescues this season (and those rescued now get charged the full costs), and it is only a few years since a couple of deaths. In snow and fog it is easy to lose the path. If the weather is not good then go via Valcarlos, not the route Napoleon.

We are planning on beginning our Camino Frances in SJPDP April 1, 2017 - perhaps this is too early, weather-wise? Would it be better to begin mid April? (we will be retired, so our timing is flexible) Also, I have read that there is lots of room at the alburgues until approx. mid-May, so why the need to book beds for April? (just checking in case we really do need to book.) Gracias!

A camino commenced on All-fools Day - what could be more perfect. The weather will be what it is, and is un-predictable much more than 3 days in advance. Walking in April has brought me snow, rain, wind and sun. Be prepared, be flexible: and in early April no need to book accommodation.

We are planning on beginning our Camino Frances in SJPDP April 1, 2017 - perhaps this is too early, weather-wise? Would it be better to begin mid April? (we will be retired, so our timing is flexible) Also, I have read that there is lots of room at the alburgues until approx. mid-May, so why the need to book beds for April? (just checking in case we really do need to book.) Gracias!
My husband and I walked the Camino Frances in 2015 and started April 1, that worked out really well for us because we do not like the heat. In the 35 days we had sun, heavy rain, snow, fog, wind and hail. We never booked any albergues and never had a problem and we were slow so always one of the later pilgrims. Something that we often said was handy that if you start on day 1 on the first you always know which day you are one. We walked the beautiful Volcarlos route because the Napolean was still closed on the first. Enjoy your preparations. Maya

Now I know why I am planning to start from St Jean around May 4, but will be prepared to take either rout. Remember the weather has no memory and does not have a gregorian calendar - so March 20, April 1, May 3 are all the same!!

The end of March does NOT necessarily mean the end of winter weather! Route N135 from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles MIGHT be left totally unplowed in bad storms. Do indeed check the weather forecasts at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP before setting off on either the Napoleon route or the Valcarlos alternate and be prepared to alter your plans.
To emphasize what @mspath so accurately points out:
20150321_120251.jpg
March 21, 2015 (Near Villafranca Montes de Oca)
March.JPG
March 28, 2016 (near Fromista)
Springtime snow can be anywhere, not just in the Pyrenees!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back