• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early April Norte Weather Conditions

DeansFamily

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 18/916/10/17 Muxia/Finisterre 18/10-22/10/17 Norte 21/4-29/5/18 Primitive 20/9-5/10/18 VdlP
Have been researching posts about weather conditions in Early April but most relate to the Frances route. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect on the Norte route and whether to expect snow conditions at certain stages. We like crisp conditions but want to avoid wading through snow and slush, and can be flexible with our start date. Any comments would be gladly appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m starting El Norte March 1st and I anticipate overcast rain and temps 10-17C. You can google average weather northern Spain April and see historical averages. I think wet but not cold but then I might Canadian so cold is anything below -20C. Buen camino.

My understanding is being closer to the coast is mostly wet but not the amount of snow as on the Frances. We walked that time of year 2 years ago on the Frances and walked in snow for a total of 11 days and much sleet and hail and rain almost the entire way. We had a total of 8 days of sunshine between SJPDP and Finisterra. Next walk is the Norte in the fall of 2018.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Snow is rare on the Norte, also during winter. But yes, prepare for wet weather. And very quick changes. There is an Asturian saying: if you don't like the weather, wait for 15 minutes.

Have been researching posts about weather conditions in Early April but most relate to the Frances route. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect on the Norte route and whether to expect snow conditions at certain stages. We like crisp conditions but want to avoid wading through snow and slush, and can be flexible with our start date. Any comments would be gladly appreciated.

Perfect walking weather. Seldom see snow on norte

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the reassuring news :)

Reviving here because I am concerned that I will have to sleep outdoors on the Good Friday of Semana Santa on the Camino de Norte in April 2021. The town I am figuring on being in will have its only albergue closed (and I think that might mean that because of the holiday most things will be closed). It‘s one of those “in between” nothing and nowhere stages roughly 5 days after Santander.

I have the down comforter that I think was recommended by @trecile, and I have a silk Sea to Summit sleep sack. I will be taking mostly merino layers (running tights, even my shorts are Smartwool brand, a packable down-filled lightweight and rain resistant jacket) and I received today a Decathlon poncho large enough to go over me to mid-calf, with room to spare and designed to cover my backpack. My boots will be Keens of some sort (depending on the long range forecast on the day that I fly). Debating my quilted hiking skirt (so great for keeping quads and glutes warm but not over-heating in the leggings). I can fill my water bottle with hot water wherever I eat… and use that for radiant heat inside my sleep sack. running gloves, a merino beanie... And I could throw on my usual dress that I would normally wear to dinner and then to sleep in (gets washed the next day with my usual albergue arrival laundry, and put it on for dinner… repeat…).

Is this very ill-advised? If I find a sheltered doorway?

I could — as an alternate plan, grab a ground-mat and a bivy-sac at a Decathlon in Santander. But would that be overkill?

I have anaemia and tend to be cold as a result, but I’m back on treatment for that so I hope I will be good to go in April.

I know that people commonly walk the Norte in the spring… I’m just nervous about the remote village Holy Week situation.

[And I won’t do any of this, or complain about not going if we are in a different COV situation. I’m queued for my booster already… probably early January. Will happily provide all the documents… and turn in my chips for refunds on my tickets if things change.]

Last edited by a moderator:
What town do you think that you will be in? Can you stop a little earlier or walk a little farther?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What town do you think that you will be in? Can you stop a little earlier or walk a little farther?
Vega de Ribadisella is the one on my list As the “desired stop”
I could stop 2km earlier at San Esteban de Leces…. So I’d be on a 33+ day to Villaviciciosa the next day (Sabado)… where it seems like it won’t be so difficult to find a place to stay…
Maybe I will re-jIg my plans right out of Santander…
Will look at the map in the morning.
I ca also re-do the whole plan from Bilbao — had given myself all day of the 5th to see the Guggenheim and get myself oriented, poke around town, but I *could* always change my reservations to have just one night… and start walking on the 5th.
The only real limit that I have is that my childhood friend will be meeting me in SdC on May 4th in front of the Cathedral for her 55th birthday, having come on her own journey out of Portugal for her first camino.
So, as my father used to say: I have a date with an egg and I can’t break it.

I would stop at San Esteban de Leces.
I stayed in Ribadesella - which, although it's a good sized town, had a real dearth of pilgrim accommodations in July 2018. Primarily because the sole hostel in town is a youth hostel, and not a pilgrim albergue, and in the summer months, it was entirely booked by a surf school. I ended up staying at a rather expensive hotel. I had been worried about continuing on to San Esteban de Leces, because it appeared that there was no where to eat nearby. And I had walked from Llanes - already about 30km. I found out later that some of the pilgrims who stayed there had been able to order pizza delivery!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back