• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early Departure Flight @ Madrid (Close Accommodation)

stsantia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, May 2023
Hi, i officially embark on the Camino Frances in 6mnths.
I was hoping if someone could advice regarding accommodation close to Madrid Airport.

on my return, i have a departure flight at 8am scheduled at Madrid International
I was looking at close hotels with shuttle services to the Airport.
However, it looks like majority of them only start the shuttles from 6am.
That might not be enough time to get through check-in/customs.

has anyone had a similar situation and found a way around this?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was hoping if someone could advice regarding accommodation close to Madrid Airport.

on my return, i have a departure flight at 8am scheduled at Madrid International

Barajas is the closest town to the airport and one stop from the airport on Metro. It’s quite a nice place with several nice restaurants and bars. Need to check time of first metro but generally around 6am so that maybe too late for you. A few people have recommended the same hotel there and I am sure they can help with other info.

Barajas is the closest town to the airport and one stop from the airport on Metro. It’s quite a nice place with several nice restaurants and bars. Need to check time of first metro but generally around 6am so that maybe too late for you. A few people have recommended the same hotel there and I am sure they can help with other info.
If you stay in a hotel in Barajas, they can prebook a taxi the evening before. It was a fixed €20 fare to T4, whether one or up
to 4 passengers. 10 mins max drive. That was the fare as of last week

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you stay in a hotel in Barajas, they can prebook a taxi the evening before. It was a fixed €20 fare to T4, whether one or up
I stayed in Hotel Clement, about a 5 min walk from the town square with lots of cafes as per @TravellingMan2022 above.

I think the Metro is €4 per person (despite being only 1 stop) so an easy trade off versus taxi on terms of
Costs/timings.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I stay at one of the airport hotels and take a taxi to the terminal if the shuttle is not running yet.

I had a similar flight time on my last camino. My ‘hotel’ was a bus from Santiago to MAD that left at 9 pm and arrived at 6, am I think. There might be an earlier bus for you if you want to explore this option. It was perfect for me. I was tired enough to sleep on the long plane back home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I pre-arranged a taxi once when my flight was early like that. The hotel I stayed at actually did it for me. I think the taxi picked me up at 4am…for about 10euro

I have stayed at the Hilton by the airport both because they have the shuttle and it is a great place to stay on the last night.

We booked hotel Alameda (1km from airport) with free shuttle service.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

We have always stayed at Hostal Viki in the centre of Barajas. They provide a 24 hour free . shuttle service. I was there a month ago and the rooms have now been upgraded. In Barajas you can sit at one of the plaza side bars or restaurants and enjoy tapas or a good meal.

We have always stayed at Hostal Viki in the centre of Barajas. They provide a 24 hour free . shuttle service. I was there a month ago and the rooms have now been upgraded. In Barajas you can sit at one of the plaza side bars or restaurants and enjoy tapas or a good meal.
One of the nice things about staying at Barajas is that is it doesn’t feel like an ‘airport town’. You really could be anywhere in Spain! I often just stop by for a few drinks if I have a late flight or long connection as have done central Madrid to bits!

Last edited by a moderator:
We booked hotel Alameda (1km from airport) with free shuttle service.

Thanks for sharing this. I contacted the hotel and they shared the shuttle timetable.
Timings are favourable. I'm attaching it here as well in case someone else runs into this same scenario of an early departure flight.

Thank you all as well for the great tips.

Attachments

• Hotel Alameda Aiport Shuttle.pdf
    682.3 KB · Views: 28
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for sharing this. I contacted the hotel and they shared the shuttle timetable.
Timings are favourable. I'm attaching it here as well in case someone else runs into this same scenario of an early departure flight.

Thank you all as well for the great tips.
What time is your flight?

Just throwing this out, it's a very short walk from Barajas to the terminal, maybe 15 minutes from the McDonalds area in town via a pedestrian bridge that connects to the terminal via the elevated parking area adjacent to the terminals Ti-T2, I have used this walkway numerous times at 5 in the morning, no traffic, easy breezy, take a look on google earth and plot the route. There is a hostel or two near the McDonalds area and numerous hotels.

Attachments

• Barajas walkway to terminal.png
    Barajas walkway to terminal.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • pedestrian bridge to Barajas terminals.png
    pedestrian bridge to Barajas terminals.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Barajas walkway entrance.png
    Barajas walkway entrance.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Just throwing this out, it's a very short walk from Barajas to the terminal, maybe 15 minutes from the McDonalds area in town via a pedestrian bridge that connects to the terminal via the elevated parking area adjacent to the terminals Ti-T2, I have used this walkway numerous times at 5 in the morning, no traffic, easy breezy, take a look on google earth and plot the route. There is a hostel or two near the McDonalds area and numerous hotels.
I never knew that. I was under the impression you had to go a very long way round. Noted for future. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back