• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early January (8th 2019) are auberges open?

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Feel another few weeks coming on
... Intend flying to Lyon on the 7th. Depending on the weather forecast for the Aubrac in January ... But I wish to return to go all the way ... Not just as far as Cahors(2013).

Will there be any other pilgrims and will I struggle to find accommodation?

If it's impossible in the Aubrac in January then somewhere from Madrid maybe?

Not absolutely decided yet!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depending on the weather forecast for the Aubrac in January ... But I wish to return to go all the way ... Not just as far as Cahors(2013).
In most years, the Aubrac has snow deep enough to obscure both the footpath and the route markings. However, after the unseasonable heat wave of summer 2018 and the record snowstorm in the eastern US November 2018, all bets are off. You might luck out with dry ground. Or be buried in a snowdrift. It's a dice-roll, so keeping a close eye on the weather forecast is vital. But that's the Aubrac. Proceeding from Cahors, with its lower elevation, seems like a much more likely place to find better weather.

Will there be any other pilgrims and will I struggle to find accommodation?
Do not expect other pilgrims. You will struggle to find accommodation, and local Tourist Offices may be seasonal as well. Miam Miam Dodo lists lodgings with open seasons, and their contact information. Recommend you get busy with reservation emails to see what's available.

If it's impossible in the Aubrac in January then somewhere from Madrid maybe?
Spain might indeed be a better plan, in January.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In most years, the Aubrac has snow deep enough to obscure both the footpath and the route markings. However, after the unseasonable heat wave of summer 2018 and the record snowstorm in the eastern US November 2018, all bets are off. You might luck out with dry ground. Or be buried in a snowdrift. It's a dice-roll, so keeping a close eye on the weather forecast is vital. But that's the Aubrac. Proceeding from Cahors, with its lower elevation, seems like a much more likely place to find better weather.

Do not expect other pilgrims. You will struggle to find accommodation, and local Tourist Offices may be seasonal as well. Miam Miam Dodo lists lodgings with open seasons, and their contact information. Recommend you get busy with reservation emails to see what's available.

Sounds excellent

It makes me feel daring or stupid. I probably should invest in a four season boot?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back