• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early July versus Mid-August start - upsides/downsides?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

Just a quick question for the more experienced among you who contribute to the board.

I'm hoping to walk the Camino Frances for what would be the second time this coming summer. There is an outside chance that I may yet opt for the Camino del Norte, but that's a matter for a separate thread!

Anyway, depending upon how life circumstances line up, I'll either be in a position to fly out of Ireland at the start of July or else close to mid-August. I know the summer months are busier, but within that framework, I'm curious, from the practical and logistical perspective, what potential advantages and disadvantages would people associate with starting at either time? Of course, I know speaking of advantages and disadvantages in the context of the Camino is very much a relative concept, as I have never had a day on the Way that I didn't enjoy!

Last month, I accessed the official pilgrim stats for the summer months (May-August) for 2012 and 2013, but at that point I didn't think I might be starting as late as August, so I didn't check the Compostela numbers for September in either year. The relevant page on the pilgrim office website seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check the numbers there. Based on the numbers I saw for the year-on-year May to August period, while the trend was upward across the board, the real explosion in pilgrim numbers comes in July and even more so in August from Sarria. As was pointed out to me on a separate thread, those stats, while useful, don't offer the full picture, as it only includes those people who claimed the Compostela, and so doesn't factor in people doing blocks of the Camino or those who simply didn't look for a Compostela. However, incomplete as those stats are, they are extremely helpful in highlighting the trends over a given year and within the busy season itself.

With that last point in mind, while the idea of starting in mid-August does feel like "prime time" in the busy season, I'm wondering if there may not be an advantage associated with this as it relates to the likely numbers starting from Sarria down the line. What I'm hoping, let's say I start from St Jean on August 14/15, based on my 2012 pace I could expect to reach Sarria around September 9/10/11. That being so, is it likely that by then the numbers starting from Sarria will have already peaked and dropped off somewhat? I always hear people talk about August being the holiday season in Spain and that at least partly accounting for the massive spike in numbers starting from Sarria. So, how quick does that drop off once we move into September?

Honestly, the only reservation I have about starting the Camino later in the summer (in 2012 I walked in May & June) is the crowds issue, and in particular the post-Sarria situation. With that in mind, while my preference would be to start at the beginning of July, is my intuition correct that potential overcrowding from Sarria would be less of an issue if it transpires that I start in mid-August?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We left August 17, 2013. While it did get more crowded toward the end, I did not find that it was "overly" crowded. There were still times where we were alone walking. There were always people that would pass us and there were times where it was crowded, but usually that was a group (usually children) who were day packing. I found it was a wonderful time to walk, but it was our only Camino so far, so nothing to compare to. Also, the weather was GREAT that time of year. Only had two days of drizzle. Wore my poncho for about 45 minutes the entire trip (August 17 to Sept 19).

Buen Camino #2 (Looking forward to going back myself!)

We left August 17, 2013. While it did get more crowded toward the end, I did not find that it was "overly" crowded. There were still times where we were alone walking. There were always people that would pass us and there were times where it was crowded, but usually that was a group (usually children) who were day packing. I found it was a wonderful time to walk, but it was our only Camino so far, so nothing to compare to. Also, the weather was GREAT that time of year. Only had two days of drizzle. Wore my poncho for about 45 minutes the entire trip (August 17 to Sept 19).

Buen Camino #2 (Looking forward to going back myself!)

That certainly sounds encouraging!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personally, if you have a choice, I'd start late August.
It will be cooler, you'll pass some great wine festivals, and there will be less pilgrims.

July will be a zoo!

Personally, if you have a choice, I'd start late August.
It will be cooler, you'll pass some great wine festivals, and there will be less pilgrims.

July will be a zoo!

Hmm. That sounds good. It's funny, I never considered holding off until August until I found that I might have to. Then, when I thought about it, I found myself sensing some upsides.

And I'd love to let it go to late August, but I don't think that will be doable. It'll be either be an early July start, mid-August... or bust!

In fact, maybe if I'm going at the start of July, maybe the zoo factor suggests the Norte might be a better idea. I think I'd prefer to walk the French Way again this year, though, so that makes me lean towards the mid-August start.

We left August 17, 2013. While it did get more crowded toward the end, I did not find that it was "overly" crowded. There were still times where we were alone walking. There were always people that would pass us and there were times where it was crowded, but usually that was a group (usually children) who were day packing. I found it was a wonderful time to walk, but it was our only Camino so far, so nothing to compare to. Also, the weather was GREAT that time of year. Only had two days of drizzle. Wore my poncho for about 45 minutes the entire trip (August 17 to Sept 19)...
My wife and I started from SJPP the day before you (Aug 16) and had pretty much the same experience weather-wise. We took a little longer than you to reach Santiago, arriving on Sept 25, 2013. We experienced only a couple of light sprinkles between Burgos and Leon, although there was a pretty tremendous thunderstorm the night we stayed at Villarmentero -- but after we had already gone to bed. We did wear our rain jackets on a couple of cool, misty mornings after we entered Galicia, but that was more for warmth and wind protection than for moisture protection. We finally had to put on the rain gear when we experienced real rainfall as we entered Santiago on Sept 25. From what I have heard, however, that was a very unusual weather pattern, so I would expect anyone walking during that same period in 2014 might not be so lucky.
Buen Camino,
Jim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi. I agree with the previous responses also. Left sjpdp 19aug >Santiago 17sep.2013. May have been a good year? Weather fabulous. Minimal rain day 1 and short storm morning Astorga. I had wondered about aug holidays but it was rather quiet. Not long out of Roncesvales a bus unloaded a Spanish yoga group walking a stretch. I thought that may have been the norm from then onwards but I didn't encounter many loads like this. They were a lovely bunch to chat with too. Still expecting the numbers to turn up at sarria I opted to stay a few ks further on. Lovely spot but next time ill stay in sarria. There just weren't that many people. Company is good too! I found the mornings walking were magic. Having been on the way before you will know that there will be no guarantee on the weather no matter how much research you do, but if it is the crowds you are thinking about. ... Don't be concerned.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.