• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early May?

Nomad Scott

Time of past OR future Camino
31/04/2015
Hi :)

I'm new to this forum, thought I'd join considering I'm going to be walking the Camino. I'm wondering are there places to sleep overnight and to grab some food? What happens if you don't have a place to stay? This is the main reason I'm bringing a tent. Has anyone had trouble finding a place to sleep and eat? Thanks :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi :)

I'm new to this forum, thought I'd join considering I'm going to be walking the Camino. I'm wondering are there places to sleep overnight and to grab some food? What happens if you don't have a place to stay? This is the main reason I'm bringing a tent. Has anyone had trouble finding a place to sleep and eat? Thanks :)
Hola, Nomad,

Welcome to the forum. Answers to your inquiry may differ a bit regarding the Camino you want to walk. You've posted this in Camino de Madrid section. So, will it be this one or ...?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you need a tent on the Camino de Madrid? I seriously doubt it. You'd probably have a tough time finding a spot to pitch it. Just extra weight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I suppose a while back that was a problem. I have a friend who walked the Camino nearly 30 years ago and he had that problem twice. But these days there are a lot more albuergues and they're much closer together. In June, July - there might be some concern. But not in May. And if it happens you can just take a cab to the closest shelter and then a cab back to the place you left off. No big deal.
I have not walked the Via de Madrid. Perhaps there is a weird shortage of albuergues - but I doubt it.
I was really worried about this too - but it turns out it just isn't a real concern. There are lots of places to stay. You can find albuergues that cost 5 euro a night and hostels that cost 20 and nice hotels that cost 60 and you can find them every 10 - 15 km. Some are old and some are brand new.
I walked in to one tiny town where one of the two albuergues there had experienced a roof falling in - so it as out. As it happened we got the last two beds in the only other available place. Three girls came in behind us and they ended up walking another 8 km to the next place. But they didn't have to do that - they could have simply called a cab.

What happens if I don't find a place for the night?
I posted this in another thread in this section few days ago:
"...if you're still considering to walk Camino de Madrid I can write down my stages (you can also search for my CdM diary with photos and gps tracks here in this section from last year) with distances and short remarks on albergues. I don't think you should worry about closed albergues.
1.) Tres Cantos (29,93kms): albergue there isn't really albergue, it's more like refugio with place for three people to sleep in the basement of Ayuntamiento, so I doubt it would be closed anytime of the year.
2.) Manzanares del Real (28,83kms): there was an albergue but is closed now. I have slept in 15€ private room (3 beds). It is very convenient and hardly ever (maybe during holidays or fiestas) fully occupied.
3.) Cercedilla (22,22kms): did get to sleep in polideportivo at entrance to town for free. Sleeping on aerobics mats in small gym. Toilets and showers available.
4.) Valsain (27,92kms): I had info on albergue turistico there and thought of making shorter walk if going to Valsain instead to Segovia, also due to rain that day. Albergue was closed but two pensions are there. Few kilometers further is Granja de San Ildefonso with huge albergue turistico opened all year. If you choose to go to Segovia there's wide range of acommodation (Hostal Duerme Vela for example).
5.) Zamarramala (18,19kms): if you go directly to Segovia but still want to sleep in albergue, this is good choice since Zamarramala is only half an hour walk from Segovia. You can actually see it across the valley from Segovia alcazar (castle). It's free, brand new and you can get the keys (code) in small tienda on the right at village square. Owner lives nearby.
6.) Ane (20,81kms): opened all year because it is located in former school (no heating though) and keys obtained at first house on the right as you enter the village. Free. No shop there and bar opened (maybe) Fri&Sat evening!
7.) Nava de la Asuncion (29,69kms): very nice albergue as I have seen on the photos but was closed due to dontknowwhatreason. Friendly local authorities made possible for me to sleep in a classroom (showers and toilets available) in Casa de Cultura. They even gave me the keys to go in & out after closing time. Free of course.
8.) Villeguillo (18,37kms): no shop in this village but very friendly bar. Albergue with kitchen opened at all times since the hospitalero is living nearby.
9.) Alcazaren (19,66kms): keys available at Bar Real (directly on the Camino) all year round.
10.) Puente Duero (27,01kms): all year living-in hospitalero.
11.) Cigunuela (15,10kms): opened all year, keys with local lady, directly on Camino.
12.) Penaflor de Hornija (16,76kms): same as above.
13.) Castromonte (10,19kms): same as above.
14.) Tamariz de Campos (30,46kms): no albergue there although have been told that sometimes a teacher (lady from Austria) do take pilgrims overnight. Better end the day in Medina de Rioseco with albergue which should be opened all year but I'm not sure.
15.) Cuenca de Campos (10,77kms): same as Castromonte.
16.) Villalon de Campos (6,89kms): don't know if albergue here is opened all year but when it is there's a living-in hospitalero.
17.) Grajal de Campos (32,02kms): you can stay before Grajal in albergues in Santervas de Campos or Melgar de Arriba or push on approx.7kms to Sahagun. Albergue in Grajal should opened in 2013 but they ran out of funds and it's unfinished although showers and toilets are a gem. You can sleep on the floor. I have very fond memories of that place because it is in a renaissance palace and the mayor gave me the keys to it and I was lucky to sleep there alone (apart from some ghosts ;))."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, I suppose a while back that was a problem. I have a friend who walked the Camino nearly 30 years ago and he had that problem twice. But these days there are a lot more albuergues and they're much closer together. In June, July - there might be some concern. But not in May. And if it happens you can just take a cab to the closest shelter and then a cab back to the place you left off. No big deal.
I have not walked the Via de Madrid. Perhaps there is a weird shortage of albuergues - but I doubt it.
I was really worried about this too - but it turns out it just isn't a real concern. There are lots of places to stay. You can find albuergues that cost 5 euro a night and hostels that cost 20 and nice hotels that cost 60 and you can find them every 10 - 15 km. Some are old and some are brand new.
I walked in to one tiny town where one of the two albuergues there had experienced a roof falling in - so it as out. As it happened we got the last two beds in the only other available place. Three girls came in behind us and they ended up walking another 8 km to the next place. But they didn't have to do that - they could have simply called a cab.
Thanks, great stuff! Yeah, times moved on now so I guess there will be more albuergues around. Bugger it, it's an adventure, what ever happens I'll handle it :)

I posted this in another thread in this section few days ago:
"...if you're still considering to walk Camino de Madrid I can write down my stages (you can also search for my CdM diary with photos and gps tracks here in this section from last year) with distances and short remarks on albergues. I don't think you should worry about closed albergues.
1.) Tres Cantos (29,93kms): albergue there isn't really albergue, it's more like refugio with place for three people to sleep in the basement of Ayuntamiento, so I doubt it would be closed anytime of the year.
2.) Manzanares del Real (28,83kms): there was an albergue but is closed now. I have slept in 15€ private room (3 beds). It is very convenient and hardly ever (maybe during holidays or fiestas) fully occupied.
3.) Cercedilla (22,22kms): did get to sleep in polideportivo at entrance to town for free. Sleeping on aerobics mats in small gym. Toilets and showers available.
4.) Valsain (27,92kms): I had info on albergue turistico there and thought of making shorter walk if going to Valsain instead to Segovia, also due to rain that day. Albergue was closed but two pensions are there. Few kilometers further is Granja de San Ildefonso with huge albergue turistico opened all year. If you choose to go to Segovia there's wide range of acommodation (Hostal Duerme Vela for example).
5.) Zamarramala (18,19kms): if you go directly to Segovia but still want to sleep in albergue, this is good choice since Zamarramala is only half an hour walk from Segovia. You can actually see it across the valley from Segovia alcazar (castle). It's free, brand new and you can get the keys (code) in small tienda on the right at village square. Owner lives nearby.
6.) Ane (20,81kms): opened all year because it is located in former school (no heating though) and keys obtained at first house on the right as you enter the village. Free. No shop there and bar opened (maybe) Fri&Sat evening!
7.) Nava de la Asuncion (29,69kms): very nice albergue as I have seen on the photos but was closed due to dontknowwhatreason. Friendly local authorities made possible for me to sleep in a classroom (showers and toilets available) in Casa de Cultura. They even gave me the keys to go in & out after closing time. Free of course.
8.) Villeguillo (18,37kms): no shop in this village but very friendly bar. Albergue with kitchen opened at all times since the hospitalero is living nearby.
9.) Alcazaren (19,66kms): keys available at Bar Real (directly on the Camino) all year round.
10.) Puente Duero (27,01kms): all year living-in hospitalero.
11.) Cigunuela (15,10kms): opened all year, keys with local lady, directly on Camino.
12.) Penaflor de Hornija (16,76kms): same as above.
13.) Castromonte (10,19kms): same as above.
14.) Tamariz de Campos (30,46kms): no albergue there although have been told that sometimes a teacher (lady from Austria) do take pilgrims overnight. Better end the day in Medina de Rioseco with albergue which should be opened all year but I'm not sure.
15.) Cuenca de Campos (10,77kms): same as Castromonte.
16.) Villalon de Campos (6,89kms): don't know if albergue here is opened all year but when it is there's a living-in hospitalero.
17.) Grajal de Campos (32,02kms): you can stay before Grajal in albergues in Santervas de Campos or Melgar de Arriba or push on approx.7kms to Sahagun. Albergue in Grajal should opened in 2013 but they ran out of funds and it's unfinished although showers and toilets are a gem. You can sleep on the floor. I have very fond memories of that place because it is in a renaissance palace and the mayor gave me the keys to it and I was lucky to sleep there alone (apart from some ghosts ;))."
Brilliant, thanks! Not sure about the ghosts, might have to have them sleep outside haha :)

This feeling you have...of wanting to cover all your bases, is what leads to packs that are so heavy they dominate your camino! I had it before and this time - determined to walk light - I can feel it creeping up on me again.
It helps to remember that this is not a wilderness hike like the Pacific Coast Trail or the AT. This is a cultural hike. You're in and out of cities and villages and small towns. There are stores and hotels and doctors and bars and restaurants and regularly spaced outdoor gear stores. ANYTHING you need you can get.
Just make sure that you have some good socks ...3 pairs...and that your shoes are comfortable. Nearly every day you will come across people who are worried they'll have to quit because of their feet. You'll see blisters you'll have nightmares over for years. Take a needle and thread, moleskin or whatever you use for blisters and make sure your boots are just right for your feet and you will be fine!
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This feeling you have...of wanting to cover all your bases, is what leads to packs that are so heavy they dominate your camino! I had it before and this time - determined to walk light - I can feel it creeping up on me again.
It helps to remember that this is not a wilderness hike like the Pacific Coast Trail or the AT. This is a cultural hike. You're in and out of cities and villages and small towns. There are stores and hotels and doctors and bars and restaurants and regularly spaced outdoor gear stores. ANYTHING you need you can get.
Just make sure that you have some good socks ...3 pairs...and that your shoes are comfortable. Nearly every day you will come across people who are worried they'll have to quit because of their feet. You'll see blisters you'll have nightmares over for years. Take a needle and thread, moleskin or whatever you use for blisters and make sure your boots are just right for your feet and you will be fine!
Buen Camino!

Thanks Chacharm :)

Hola! Apologies guys, but how do i get hold of a Camino passport in Madrid? I've searched the web but can't find it. Thanks :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.