• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early morning flights from Santiago

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
I have a 10:30am flight from Madrid back home in mid-August. I'm looking at booking the earliest flight possible out of Santiago to Madrid on a Saturday morning.

However, i worry about the flight getting cancelled due to fog/weather conditions.

Can anyone advise if early morning flights from Santiago are commonly cancelled due to weather?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
katie@camino,
I can not answer re the weather conditions at SdC airport.
However since your flight from Madrid will be very long distance might it not be less worrisome to book a flight to Madrid late the night before and/or on the same carrier if at all possible?

However you do go, safe travels.

This should not be a problem... weather for take off is not really a problem for Santiago. Sometimes in the winter, the wind can get very strong and flights are diverted to another airport... but summer... weather should not be an issue.

Since the high speed trains has started running, this is another option:

.. but it seems you need to travel the day before.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a 10:30am flight from Madrid back home in mid-August. I'm looking at booking the earliest flight possible out of Santiago to Madrid on a Saturday morning.

However, i worry about the flight getting cancelled due to fog/weather conditions.

Can anyone advise if early morning flights from Santiago are commonly cancelled due to weather?
I have flown from Santiago to Madrid on the 6:30 AM flight after four Caminos with plenty of time to make a 11:00 AM flight from Madrid to Atlanta. I have flown Ryan Air once and Iberia three times. They were always on time. My Atlanta flights were on Delta. A friend, however, had a long delay in Santiago due to a problem with the plane which resulted in him missing his Madrid flight. I have also travelled from Santiago earlier once and stayed in a hotel near the airport. On my next Camino in September I plan to book that early morning flight again.

Have a night in Madrid, relax and enjoy yourself.

katie@camino,
I can not answer re the weather conditions at SdC airport.
However since your flight from Madrid will be very long distance might it not be less worrisome to book a flight to Madrid late the night before and/or on the same carrier if at all possible?

However you do go, safe travels.
I completely agree. I wouldn't put a flight from Madrid to Australia at risk by flying on a separate ticket the same morning. You need to arrive in Madrid the night before.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds like you already have the international ticket out of Madrid and are going to buy a separate ticket for Santiago to Madrid. If that’s the case, I will pile on to what MS and Trecile say - don’t risk it. If you miss your flight out of Madrid, you may both lose your ticket home and have to buy a last minute one way ticket. I have seen this happen.

If we’re misunderstanding and it’s all going to be on the same ticket, then there would be nothing to worry about, because the airline will re-route you and get you home if there is a missed connection.

It sounds like you already have the international ticket out of Madrid and are going to buy a separate ticket for Santiago to Madrid. If that’s the case, I will pile on to what MS and Trecile say - don’t risk it. If you miss your flight out of Madrid, you may both lose your ticket home and have to buy a last minute one way ticket. I have seen this happen.

If we’re misunderstanding and it’s all going to be on the same ticket, then there would be nothing to worry about, because the airline will re-route you and get you home if there is. missed connection.
100% agree with this!

I have flown from there several times, 3 seasons, on first flights out, and never had cancellation

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have flown from there several times, 3 seasons, on first flights out, and never had cancellation
Which is good to hear but no guarantee of future performance! The good news about early morning flight, especially at smaller airports with no back up aircraft, is that there is little chance of rotational delays. i.e. Your flight being delayed due late inbound as the plane is likely to have overnighted so even if 3 hrs late has little consequence next morning.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.