Early Morning Pilgrims - Suggestion | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Early Morning Pilgrims - Suggestion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Vikita, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Vikita

Vikita New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (May 27 /June (2017 - Hopefully)
    I just returned from the Camino Frances. If you intend to leave the albergue very early (5:30 a.m.), please do not turn on the lights for the entire room and speak in a loud voice. It is disturbing to those who want to sleep until 6:30 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. Please have your backpack packed and ready to go and just slip out quietly. It is courteous and those who would like to get up later would greatly appreciate it.

2. SYates

SYates Camino Fossil AD 1999 Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    First: Camino Francés 1999
    Last: CF winter 2016/17

Now: http://egeria.house/
    Good idea, but I think you are "preaching to the choir" here on the forum ;-) Buen Camino, SY

3. falcon269

falcon269 sidra; no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    Your suggestions are excellent. Post them on Spanish, German, and Italian language forums, and there may be results.

4. Peter Fransiscus

Peter Fransiscus Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
    You get a better reaction from a concreet block than from a noisy pilgrim in the morning . :D:D

Wish you well,Peter.

5. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
    CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
    Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
    Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
    Well most of the Alburgue I have been staying in the doors open at 630. I leave early as well. So I get up pack my gear and go as quiet as i can. I pay the same and have the same rights as late sleepers. Who btw make the staff nervous as some people are late getting out thus throwing off the schedule. It's futile. Good luck with your endeavors. Or get a room
    My thoughts. Oh I am a walker not just a talker.

6. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    Really? Rights? Nothing about respect for others, compasion, good old savoir vivre?

7. SabineP

SabineP Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    some and then more.
    Isn't this a bit harsh? Talking about rights etc..." Your rights end where mine begin " springs to mind.
    Like the OP writes : it is about courtesy.

Sorry to all the hospis that I must have made nervous by staying in the albergue till 8 am.
    Not to mention those three occasions where I actually stayed until 9 am because we got into a nice conversation....Shame one me :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  8. martyseville

martyseville Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    a/a

Good post. Agree with you; but, as others told you...the ones who need to know that are not reading on here. And they don't care about others.

Walked three Caminos and everyone there were certain people who had no consideration for others. Worse was Burma on the English Way. Few guys got up around 4 or so. Turned lights on. Talked loud. Left outside door open when they went back and forth to the bathroom and the dorm area. Moved chairs and table in the kitchen area. made horrible noise.

Bad news is this was not the only place I have ran into these types.

My way of dealing with them is when they, and they do, go to bed at 7 pm I make all the noise I want.

I noticed this type goes to bed early and gets up early. Which was totally uncalled for on the English Way. There were plenty of rooms. Legs between places were not that far.

Over all, my opinion of people on the Camino keeps going down hill. There are more and more RUDE people walking the Camino now. Be it bikers on the trail, or those rude ones in the A'berg. I am about ready to give up walking Caminos. Getting tired of the RUDE ones on the Camino now.

I guess a way to stop this stuff is for all of us to speak up when they are not considerate of others. Let them know what they are doing wrong.

t2andreo likes this.
  9. scruffy1

scruffy1 Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
    Headlamp flashers, stumblethumpers, plastic bag stuffers, toilet door slammers, and "Jose/Johnny/Johan" shushers can put a pilgrim off albergues forever.

10. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Started walking in 2012
    When I stay in albergues, I leave early too. But that's usually because I have been woken up by people making a lot of racket just going to the bathroom or packing their bags :rolleyes:
    In private rooms I have to put my alarm on or I sleep till 9 or later :D

FLEUR likes this.
  11. jsalt

jsalt Jill Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Portugués, Francés, Norte, Du Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac
    Wear i-pads I mean eye-pads, and use earplugs, no problem ;):):cool::rolleyes:
    Jill

Dysie, Buz Radican, OTH86 and 3 others like this.
  12. jo webber

jo webber Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Sept 9th 2017
    If they have woken you up, why not speak to them at that time? A semi polite, "Please, I and the others are trying to sleep." Might (only might) give them a clue.

If you see them at the next place you plan to stay, say in a loud voice "Nope, not staying with THEM again. Woke up everyone in the place far too early the other day." Or ask them if they will again rise early and wake everyone up again, if so you can leave.

13. jo webber

jo webber Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Sept 9th 2017
    Question, what is early and what is late?
    Is there some exact time everyone should wake up all together? (this is never going to happen)

14. martyseville

martyseville Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    a/a

Done the "asking" in a polite manner. Got no where. Got rude replies. Stares and glares.

I cannot figure out why the bike riders have to get up so early. Anyone know?
    They can make lots of Kms on their bikes. So, why have to get up so early?

All of this rings back to the bike incident where a woman was assaulted. For being on the wrong side of the trail.

In the last few years I have walked three Caminos. Every year people are ruder and ruder.

By the way, I actually walked 3.5 Caminos. The first attempt, did not complete it, was in 1981. What a different world it was then. R E S P E C T was there.

15. jo webber

jo webber Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Sept 9th 2017
    Thanks, if I see bikes - I can look for someplace else to stay.

16. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Started walking in 2012
    They are likely to arrive long after you've settled in ... And yes, they tend to leave at 4am, waving their red headtorches around. :eek::rolleyes::D

Peter Fransiscus and falcon269 like this.
  17. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Started walking in 2012
    It's all subjective. I think early is anything before 7am...
    Then there is very early: 5.30/6 am
    AND then there is ri-di-cu-lous-ly early (or as I see it, middle of the
    night :rolleyes: ): 4 am.
    And yes, some people actually leave at that time and they - usually - aren't the quietest :mad: :D

18. jo webber

jo webber Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Sept 9th 2017
    From what I have read (not been yet) many places have a 6am wake up call so everyone can be out the door by 8am. It may depend on when the sun comes up.

There are probably a few, during the early days, with time issues between where they came from and where they are. I seem to wake up in the middle of the night, hungry, because my hunger alarm hasn't changed time zones. (9hr)

19. falcon269

falcon269 sidra; no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    There is no consistency. Even places with a "rule" on leaving early cannot enforce it. Six o'clock is typical with or without a rule. Most albergues want the place cleared by 8 to 8:30 so that they can clean and get some free time before the next group of pilgrims at 1 to 3 p.m.

20. Bajaracer

Bajaracer Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
    You can spot these early riser types right away, if you show up mid afternoon, they are all washed up and spend the whole afternoon napping away, then they try to turn the lights off before 8PM, sorry lights off is at 10PM or earlier if all the other pilgrims agree.
    What I learned is most these early risers arrive before noon, some as early as 9AM, I guess they don't deal well with the heat. What I still don't understand is how they still close the windows at bed time.

21. Theatregal

Theatregal Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2012 thru 2017:
    Frances
    Primitivo
    Ingles
    Portuguese Coastal
    Variante Espiritual
    Finisterre
    Agreed. It can be very frustrating. I've also experienced some pretty appalling behavior. But doesn't this become an endless cycle? Them making noise in the morning and you making noise in the early evening to get back at them? Communal living with strangers will never be an ideal of like minded people. We are all just too diverse with our schedules, habits, sleep modes, along with albergues with different rules (or no rules) etc. Really, all we can do is individually be as respectful as possible and move on to a new day, new group of people - or if the situation allows, stay somewhere different if you are encountering the same rude people.

22. HedaP

HedaP Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
    Yep, I agree. Decided early on there was no point in fussing about it. Staying mostly in municipals with kitchens, I would just get up and go have breakfast. Then about 7 am when the lights came on I would go back to the dorm and pack. Took 15 mins max because didn't need to fart around with a torch or try (unsuccessfully) to be quiet.

23. Bajaracer

Camino(s) past & future:
    From my experience with the early risers, I would usually catch up to them at my first breakfast stop, and after I finished my meal they would still be hanging out. I knew they wouldn't catch up to me or pass me since they usually stopped walking early.

24. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    You nailed it. Preaching to the choir lol

Bob from L.A. ! likes this.
  25. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    One more reason I plan on staying mostly in hostels pensions & hotels

Annie Little likes this.
  26. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    Just like driving. Everyone going faster than you is a maniac.
    Everyone going slower is an Old fart lol

diverdavey likes this.
  27. Rich1

Rich1 Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (May 2015)
    Camino Frances (2016-2018)
    If I ever want/need to leave early, I simply bundle up my gear, take it outside the dorm and pack in the kitchen/communal area etc. Simple really and very quiet.
    By the way, I never go to bed early; I'm just a light sleeper, and once I'm awake that's it...I'm just a little boy, excited to get back outside to play :)
    I think the people who go to bed at 8pm and then do non-subtle coughs if you dare make a noise are just as annoying.
    As several have said, it's all about respect and basic politeness & manners.

Monimar, KinkyOne, FamPed and 6 others like this.
  28. Icacos

Icacos Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    It's always entertaining to read the complaints about appalling behaviour in albergues. The most amusing account I've heard is of the pilgrim who woke up early one morning, before anyone else was up, and went into the kitchen. A few minutes later he came back into the dormitorio and announced in a loud voice, "Tea's ready, dear." :rolleyes::p

I'm off to bed now. There won't be a soul there to bother me. :):)

29. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    The mistake many of us make. In our daily lives and on the Camino is we assume everyone is intelligent and or should be considerate.
    I'm constantly reminding my wife and friends it's not someone's fault they were not born more intelligent, anymore than it's our fault we are not smart enough to be rocket scientists or brain surgeons.
    On the other hand, selfish and self righteous folks are the ones who get under my skin.

30. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    While I agree that selfish and self righteous folk are hard to be around, I'm inclined to think that it may also not be entirely their fault they are that way; each of us is a product of our past. Who knows what life experiences people have had? I'm not in any way excusing the selfish and self righteous, just saying that sometimes it's hard to work through the pain to become the type of person one might like to be. Perhaps the wish to be a better person is what calls some folk to the camino. To paraphrase @jozero in another thread, perhaps these persons need to walk until it doesn't hurt anymore. :)

Tafko, Maple Leaf Walker and OTH86 like this.
  31. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    Albergues could do what the one I stayed in in Bilbao does: turn off the main electric switch at night, only turning it back on when it's time to get up! Add that to locking people in, and voila. :confused:o_O

Bob from L.A. ! likes this.
  32. Anniesantiago

Anniesantiago Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances 2006,9,11,12,13,14, 16, Aragones 2011,12,
    VDLP 2011, 13, Lourdes 2012, Portuguese 2008, Madrid 2014, (2016)

Hahaha!
    You can go back to the early 2000's and read the same complaints.
    My advice is to take a sleep mask and earplugs.
    It isn't going to change.

33. cvixx

cvixx Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    looking at 2018-2019
    Saying that the rude ones are a product of their environment is also saying they can't change, which I find difficult to believe. Maybe the truth is they do not want to change or see no reason to. But isn't that part of the Camino experience, to become a better person??

34. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    I can't disagree with that. People are complicated.
    We had at work this one guy who was the most ignorant self righteous opinionated SOB you ever saw.
    But he would be the first one to get out of bed in the middle of the night if your car broke down. The first guy to offer to help someone who was moving. The first guy to buy a round of drinks. Generous to a fault he was.
    Go figure lol

35. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    I've got a theory for that too! Theories, I am not short of. But I'll keep it to myself and stay out of trouble. :)

Suzanne S. likes this.
  36. Jean françois

Jean françois New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, Ohenro Shikoku, Portuguese
    As an early riser I have no problem with the request, and abide by it.
    Can I ask that you late going to bed set your stuff when you get there, and stay quiet when I'm trying to sleep. The other day pilgrims came in turned on the lights, then shined headlight in my face while talking because they didn't get things ready when they arrived

domigee likes this.
  37. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Started walking in 2012
    Hi Jean françois and welcome to the forum :)

38. Jean françois

Jean françois New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, Ohenro Shikoku, Portuguese
    Thanks. I guess never posting makes you look new. :)

natefaith and Icacos like this.
  39. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    I don't think anyone is saying that the rude ones cannot change; it's just that it may be very difficult to change. However, believe it or not, there are some people who cannot change - something in their makeup prevents them from doing so - but those ones I don't think you will find on camino.

40. simeon

simeon Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPDP - Los Arcos (Sept 2014)
    Tricastella - Santiago (May 2015)
    Porto- Santiago (Sept - Oct 2015)
    Los Arcos - Burgos (Oct 2016)
    yes its annoying, disrespecting behaviour but lots only consider what their fellow pilgrim does and doesn't examine their own reaction to it or their own behaviour. We will always have those who annoy us and probably always annoy others as well. We ultimately cannot control others, Our own reaction to it is the only thing we can control.

Micah26 and Theatregal like this.
  41. Annie Little

Annie Little Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances Sept-Oct 2016
    Last year I thought if only it were possible for the albergue to ask on check in : are you an early or late riser and then try to group like minds together .

I am mortified at any thought I might annoy others BUT there are those who get annoyed by EVERYTHING !

In the end what annoys us is about us .
    Our reaction to annoyance is also about us.
    In my mind these are our learning lessons on the Camino and exposing us to ourselves ....

That was my solution too ! But even that annoyed those who wanted to judge :rolleyes:

I am the same once I wake I want to get up and going and the early mornings withsun rising over the country are a wonder to behold !

A tad self righteous tone in the sarcasm there :p

42. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    :p I submit that on this forum we all be permitted to gripe a little bit!

43. Terry Ruttger

Terry Ruttger New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Wax earplugs are so much better than foam. If I was on a bottom bunk I hung my towel and jacket so that I made a little curtain and couldn't see the headlamps. Upper bunk I didn't see headlamps at all.

Congregate living for under 10 Euros --everything has a draw back. The only way to ensure a good night's sleep is to get a room and pay more.

Besides, snoring is worse than early morning risers any day ---- and I know that there's been plenty written about that!

Monimar likes this.
  44. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Started walking in 2012
    They did just that at the Albergue in Grañon: early risers in one room and later risers upstairs... :)

Annie Little likes this.
  45. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    A tad self righteous tone in the sarcasm there :p[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps but as an example I'm referring to the cashier at the store when your bill is $10.30
    And you hand her $20.30 and he/she completely freezes as to what change she should hand you back lol

46. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    I would love to hear your theory on this guy lol

47. JillGat

JillGat I did it and I can't wait to do it again! Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances, SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May-June 2016
    Plan to go back Sept.-October 2017
    I always took all my stuff out to the kitchen/lobby/hallway to pack up in the morning, like Rich1 said. Why mess around trying to quietly pack in a dark room?? I don't get that. I segregated my things into little stuff sacks and it was easy to grab my pack, sticks, and any stuff sacks that were out and drag them out of the sleeping room. Way more convenient.

One of my goals on the Camino was to stop being so judgmental and fuming about how everyone else "should" be acting. I never accomplished this goal. I only found new categories of things about everybody else that bug me. My greatest wrath was saved for bicyclists who sped down the trail and didn't warn walkers that they were coming. But I wasn't above being furious about the people who took up the whole clothes line with their towels spread all out or even getting annoyed by the guy walking ahead of me who looked dumb in his convertible pants (why the hell not just wear shorts all the time like I do?). Some pilgrim I am.

The only thing that keeps me from spontaneous self-combustion is my sense of humor, mostly about myself.

I was also occasionally outraged by people who woke me up early in the morning, but for the most part I enjoyed staying in albergues much more than I expected to after reading about this kind of thing on this forum!

HedaP, KinkyOne, C clearly and 4 others like this.
  48. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    Not going to happen.

49. Annie Little

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances Sept-Oct 2016
    Great idea in my opinion

50. Annie Little

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances Sept-Oct 2016
    Jill in my opinion this is the most honest reply
    AND also in my opinion the BEST lesson from the Camino ...
    so many people say why they are doing the Camino BUT El Camino has its lessons to teach ALL ... and the lesson is NOT about others or what they do ... the real lesson is about OURSELVES ! Showing us who we really are ... our intolerances etcetc ...

Micah26 likes this.
  51. Telelama

Telelama Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (Sep - Oct'14)
    Frances (May - Jun'15)
    Portugues (May - Jun'16)
    Primitivo (2018?)
    We stayed at El Pilar, in Rabanal on our last Frances. Our beds were right next to the door and those very early risers were going in and out, slamming the door or simply left it open. The very cold morning air would rush across our bunks, making an already cold morning much colder and uncomfortable for all. Either I, or our bunk mate, would go over to close the door every single time and quite frankly it was getting a bit annoying due to the frequency.

One early riser quickly came back through thinking the door was open, and it was a bit concealed due to the braids hanging across the doorway, and smacked his head pretty good on the glass door. I have to admit we did chuckle a little. Karma, it has a tendency to visit those that deserve it most, and I admit that some days its me that it visits! :D

52. JulieandPeter

JulieandPeter Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francis (April/May 2015)
    Planning Francis (May/June 2017) and Coastal Portugues (July 2017)
    I am very grateful to those early risers (I am not one); the creaking floor, the doors opening and closing and opening and closing, the water running through the pipes from the WC, the shower, the chipper teeth brushing ... the click, click, click of their sticks, an entire herd of perky sticks, make their way out the door.

Grateful for this reminder to GET UP NOW or you WILL be sorry at noon in 90 degree heat with miles to go on a seemingly endless shadeless stretch - not a single shadow to protect you from the sweltering burn of the star above. By 2:00 you will be praying those perky sticks had poked you once or twice before they slipped out the door in the cool morning air! Get up!

Every night we tell ourselves we will be like them tomorrow so we won't suffer another grueling day in the heat. Of course that never happens . . . just five more minutes and five more and so on. Thank you morning people! Can't turn you off and I'm grateful for that, but usually not until noon. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    MichaelSG, Theatregal and natefaith like this.
  53. as gaillimh

as gaillimh Active Member

If others seem disagreeble to you, by what miricle do you wish to appear agreeable to them

54. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    Your avatar says it all! :D

Jersey likes this.
  55. Telelama

Telelama Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (Sep - Oct'14)
    Frances (May - Jun'15)
    Portugues (May - Jun'16)
    Primitivo (2018?)
    Thanks! There's a quote that goes with this, which is; "Its garbage can, not garbage cannot" which I always related to because anyone can. It does not depend on where you came from, but how hard you try.

MichaelSG and Icacos like this.
  56. Marbe2

Marbe2 Active member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2015 SJPD to Burgos
    2017 Leon to Santiago
    Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela planned for March 2018
    I am sure that I would have many of the same reactions if I were disturbed early in the morning! We are early risers! When we leave depends a lot upon the weather Conditions. We do not like to rush and walk abt 3km per hour! If it's predicted to be hot we leave At 5am and we stop around 7 to 8 am for a full breakfast! If we are leaving early, even though we stay in private rooms, organize our bags the night before and sleep in clean clothes or, whatever we will wear, for the next day. Even in hostels and some hotels, the walls are thin! We owe it to one another to at least try to set a good example!

Telelama and SabineP like this.
  57. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    Complaining on here is preaching to the choir.
    I don't condone anyone waking early and disturbing anyone's sleep but when you stay in an Albergue you are signing on the dotted line that you understand and agree you may be kept awake by folks snoring, awoken by early risers and God knows what other unintended ignorant behavior.
    It's not going to stop, ever. You might reach 1 or 2 folks but that's about it.

58. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    But we are allowed to vent, aren't we? I still laugh at the time I had to deal with a fellow-peregrina's ire after she saw someone, who had just used the facilities, exit the shared bathroom without washing his hands. :)

59. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    Was he helping with dinner? lol

60. Icacos

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    Didn't see. I was too busy dealing with my friend's horror. :D

61. Jersey

Jersey Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    July 2017
    Well, what's the worst that could happen? ha ha

62. james walter purdum iv

james walter purdum iv Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    camino francés sept 1, 2015
    I'd rather have lights since my eyes are closed then noise...I don't know if you can have both... those early people always confused me to want to walk in the dark. Maybe early beds by the door and a snore room would be a part of my albergue

KinkyOne likes this.
  63. Felipe

Felipe Veteran Member

Annoyed by inconsiderated early risers? Just avoid summer.
    I guarantee that nobody is hurried to leave when it is freezing and dark outside. And actually, hospitaleros give some latitude to the 8 AM leaving rule.

SYates, domigee and SabineP like this.
  64. SabineP

SabineP Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    some and then more.
    Exactly : this is what I experienced end of March this year on the Frances. In one albergue I was the only one, in two other ones there was just one other pilgrim and I....Bliss :)

SYates, Peter Fransiscus and Felipe like this.
  65. JulieandPeter

JulieandPeter Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francis (April/May 2015)
    Planning Francis (May/June 2017) and Coastal Portugues (July 2017)
    IMG_3630.PNG I read this (see photo) in Brierley's guide before we set off this morning (late and in the heat). It seems to apply to this thread as well as many other aspects in life.

Theatregal likes this.
  66. Maša Spalatin

Maša Spalatin New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Portugues (Oct 2015)
    I experienced this during my camino... I would get to the albergue and enter a dark room, try to unpack/wash/go out to eat thinking I'd have some time to repack my stuff later. But the lights would be out again when I come back and I'd prepare for sleep as quiet as I can in the dark. In the morning I'd start to prepare for the walk when everyone is up and wouldn't have enough time to pack, just throw everything in my backpack.

What is the proper way to handle lights out before 8PM?

About early risers: from reading about the Camino, I thought starting early was necessary. I walked Portuguese way in October and realised you can't walk in the dark (and everything before 8AM was too dark). French way in the summer starts earlier but isn't 5:30 still too early? Do they walk in the dark?

67. zrexer

zrexer Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Have been on the Camino Frances Route 3 times. 2014 Ponferrada to Santiago. 2015 Burgos to Ponferrada and 2016 St.Jean to Burgos and then bus to Sarria and walk into Santiago but with different overnight stops.
    Camino Portugal from Porto - April 2017
    My wife and I only stay in the bunk rooms at Albergues if there is no other option available.
    We are early risers so we do not wish to disturb fellow pilgrims who wish to sleep longer so we look for private rooms at albergues or Pensions or sometimes hotels.
    We find this reduces stress and makes our Camino so much more enjoyable.
    We have head lamps when we are on trails early in the morning, but also to make our selves visible when we are proximity to any roads.
    We enjoy our early starts and some of our most memorable moments were during our early mornings.

68. james walter purdum iv

james walter purdum iv Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    camino francés sept 1, 2015
    A small flashlight will get you to your bunk but I would just turn on the light before 10pm. It's unrealistic to have lights out before then. If you want lights out just keep your eyes closed!

Maša Spalatin likes this.
  69. Bob from L.A. !

Bob from L.A. ! Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Many more to come in my future God willing !
    JillGat and Rich1 - That, in my opinion, is the right way to do it.

70. Bajaracer

Camino(s) past & future:
    Turn on the lights as you see fit, these early risers have been sleeping the whole afternoon and early evening, they don't have any consideration for you during the day and early evening, and they don't have any consideration when they make all that noise when they wake up at 3-4AM.

71. long trails

long trails Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances June 2016
    Camino Portugues April 2017
    You needed to post this on other language forums as I noticed noisy pilgrims tended to not be english speakers.