Search 69,459 Camino Questions

early or late May 2012 on the Camino Primitivo

Rodlach

I am thinking of doing the Camino from Oviedo to Santiago either at the beginning of May (5th to 20th) or at the end of May (22nd to June 6) but want to consider the weather before deciding. I am aware that May weather is unpredictable and guess that it is more predictable and dryer at the end of May. Is this assumption correct? Or, is there not much difference between beginning and end of May concerning the weather?

Cheers,
Alex

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Rodlach

I think your assumption is right, that the trend is that things will be drier as the spring/summer progress. (I bet falcon or someone else can point us to a statistical comparison of rain over the years in May). I am planning to get to Oviedo in mid June, so my primitivo will be even later, but I have gotten recommendation from Spanish friends who say that the crowds don't really build till July/August on the primitivo. In part, I think this is because this camino tends to have a higher percentage of Spaniards in relation to total walkers than some of the other caminos, and Spaniards tend towards later vacation times. That may not be accurate, but that was their impression.

All things being equal, I think I'd pick the later date, but you just never know.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Laurie! Your response helped me to make up my mind. I will go for the later date and start in Oviedo on May 23. According to other postings in this forum, the weather may still be unpredictable but, well, hopefully no snow or too much much mud.

Cheers,
Alex

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Como puedes ver, ningún mes de mayo es igual. Lo normal es que cuanto más avanzado esté el mes, mejor tiempo haya, pero también puede ser que mayo empiece con calor y acabe fresco.
Lo que es casi imposible es que encuentres nieve. También es verdad que este invierno apenas a nevado, así que puede que la primavera sea más fresca de lo normal.

As you can see, any month of May is the same. Typically, the more advanced the month, best time there, but also might start in May with heat and cool finish.
What is impossible is to find snow. It is also true that this winter just snowed, so that spring can be cooler than normal.

screenhunter02jan290331.jpg

screenhunter03jan290334.jpg

screenhunter04jan290335.jpg

screenhunter05jan290336.jpg

The data below are to put a weather station is practically on the coast of Asturias

I am not sure whereabouts the temperatures for May 2010 quoted by 'angulero' were taken. The quote above is from another thread and I am guessing that these are from the same place. One thing for sure; they were not from Tineo on the Primitivo. The temperature on the 13th May on the farmacia signs in Tineo (more than one so it was somewhere near accurate!) was 7c. MAXIMUM. We were there all day and most of the time it was around 5c with light snow blowing in the wind :shock: This is somewhat different to 22.7c :roll:
The Primitivo in May can be cold and very wet and you may need a good thick fleece or similar as well as waterproofs. Don't forget that the Puerto del Palo is 1146 metres above sea level.
Whichever time you choose there will be spring flowers at lower levels and you should see the sun before you get to Santiago!! Enjoy :D

Blessings on your preparation and on your walking
Tio Tel

Attachments

• DSCF1156.jpg
    DSCF1156.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 2,165
angulero said:
Como puedes ver, ningún mes de mayo es igual. Lo normal es que cuanto más avanzado esté el mes, mejor tiempo haya, pero también puede ser que mayo empiece con calor y acabe fresco.
Lo que es casi imposible es que encuentres nieve. También es verdad que este invierno apenas a nevado, así que puede que la primavera sea más fresca de lo normal.

As you can see, any month of May is the same. Typically, the more advanced the month, best time there, but also might start in May with heat and cool finish.
What is impossible is to find snow. It is also true that this winter just snowed, so that spring can be cooler than normal.

Please allow me a more accurate translation:
As you can see, no two months of May are the same. Typically, the more advanced the month, the better the weather, but May might also start warm and end cool.
What is almost impossible is to find snow. It is also true that this winter it has snowed very litlle, so this spring could be cooler than normal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for all your replies. It made me think about the timing... perhaps even the end of May would not really be a time that I enjoy... the weather may be unpredictable and even wet and cold... perhaps I choose a different 2 weeks route... Last year, I did the Camino Portugues from Porto... will search for another two weeks route... again, thanks for your helpful advise.

Alex

Well, thinking for some time, I made up my mind: depite concerns about the weather, I will start in Oviedo on May 23. With the right equipment, the weather should not be problem... :)

Again, thanks for your responses.

Alex

TerryB said:
The data below are to put a weather station is practically on the coast of Asturias

I am not sure whereabouts the temperatures for May 2010 quoted by 'angulero' were taken. The quote above is from another thread and I am guessing that these are from the same place. One thing for sure; they were not from Tineo on the Primitivo. The temperature on the 13th May on the farmacia signs in Tineo (more than one so it was somewhere near accurate!) was 7c. MAXIMUM. We were there all day and most of the time it was around 5c with light snow blowing in the wind :shock: This is somewhat different to 22.7c :roll:
The Primitivo in May can be cold and very wet and you may need a good thick fleece or similar as well as waterproofs. Don't forget that the Puerto del Palo is 1146 metres above sea level.
Whichever time you choose there will be spring flowers at lower levels and you should see the sun before you get to Santiago!! Enjoy :D

Blessings on your preparation and on your walking
Tio Tel

Sí, es de una localidad pegada a la costa. Se me olvidó decir que las temperaturas máximas de los años anteriores a 2011 no son fiables porque el sensor de temperatura no estaba bien protegido del sol. Lo que quería que vierais más que nada son los días de lluvia. Es solo para que os hagáis una idea, pero siempre teniendo en cuenta que en las montañas hará más frío, aunque tampoco vais a transitar por alturas considerables. Daros cuenta que la montaña más alta de Asturias tiene más de 2600 metros de altitud, y vosotros lo máximo que subís son unos 1100 metros.
Ah, gracias por la traducción. Yo utilizo el traductor de Google.

Yes, it's a town clinging to the coast. I forgot to say that the maximum temperature in the years before 2011 are unreliable because the temperature sensor was not well protected from the sun. You saw what he wanted most of all are the days of rain. It is only to give you an idea, but always bearing in mind that the mountains will become cold, although not going to pass through considerable heights. That give the highest mountain of Asturias has more than 2600 meters of altitude, and you are the best that you climb 1100 meters.
Ah, thanks for the translation. I use the Google translator.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there, we are coming from South Africa, en of April. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this post because I was going to pack summer gear (shorts etc). WIth the info I realise that Ill have to rather pack warmer things. Coming from South Africa we do not really have very cold temperatures especially not in spring.

We try to make all our clothes serve a double purpose if possible. We use zip-off trousers, best of both worlds; long sleeved shirts - can roll sleeves up; T-shirts, double as vests; fleeces - we now have one thin and one thicker. I also carry long sleeved vest and longjohns to wear at night and as pyjamas. I have walked in the extra vest but not the longjohns, it is easier to put overtrousers on if needed and remove once I've warmed up.
By the late part of May things should be warming up nicely but if evenings are chilly it is good to be able to add the layers etc. Usual socks, pants etc to allow for washing, and all hi-tec quick drying and above all lightweight.
We know 2010 was exceptionally cold, hopefully this year will be like 2009 :) and much warmer, but we'll be preparing for all eventualities. Last year I carried both fleeces nearly all the way on the Inglés but really needed them travelling home from the Camino :lol:
Buen Camino

Estas gráficas son de Cangas del Narcea, pueblo no muy lejos de Tineo ni de Pola de Allande. Está en el fondo de un valle a unos 400 metros de altitud.

These graphics are Cangas del Narcea, town not far from Tineo and Pola de Allande. Is at the bottom of a valley about 400 meters.

mayo2010.jpg

junio2010.jpg

mayo2011.jpg

junio2011.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry, different valley, different weather. It was pouring with rain both days between Salas and Tineo (12th & 13th May) when Cangas had very little, presumably being in the 'rain shadow' area. We were there.

Near the same date in 2009 it was almost too hot to walk in the sun in Salas. This year? who knows!!

Sí claro. Hay días que a pocos kilómetros de distancia en tiempo puede ser muy distinto, y más en esa época en las que ya se pueden formar las tormentas de verano que dejan chubascos por zonas, pero en líneas generales el tiempo es parecido en toda la región, exceptuando las zonas de montaña. Más frío hacia el interior en invierno, y más calor en verano. Os dejo más gráficas. Unas de Noreña (pueblo cercano a Oviedo) y otras de Lugo. Esto es solo para que veáis las diferencias que puede haber de un año a otro.

Yes, of course. There are days when a few miles away in time can be very different, and more at the time in which they can already form summer storms left heavy rain zones, but overall the weather is like across the region, mountain apart. Colder inland in winter and hotter in summer. I leave most graphic. One of Noreña (village near Oviedo) and other Lugo. This is for you to see that there may be differences from one year to another.

norea2010.jpg

norea2011.jpg

lugo2010.jpg

lugo2011.jpg

Thanks for these angulero. These are just right and would be the best to use when answering questions about climate.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[Hi there,

I think how later how better. I start The primitivo
on te 15th of May. It seems to be the most beautiful, the shortest but als the heaviest route of the caminos. I am looking for a good book where all the routes are detailed. Can anyone help m out?

Good luck and buen camino

Henk The Dutchy

Laurie is right about the crowds, I walked in August 2010 and we were around 50 pilgrims at most places. A this moment, they are around 5-10 pilgrims, I have a friend who's on the Primitivo now, just passed Bodenaya, it's cold, rainy and VERY muddy. Personally I consider August a nice month for dealing with those mountains, sunshine is better than rain in my opinion.
Josefine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Memories of 2010 and the cold and wet :( We are looking at Angulero's photo of Tineo and the weather forecasts :roll: Hopefully the snow will soon go for those walking now and the weather will be warmer and dryer when we are on the Primitivo later on.

Esta semana se prevé que llueva bastante de nuevo, eso sí, la nieve caerá por encima de los 1000-1200 metros.

This week is expected to rain pretty again, yes, the snow will fall above 1000-1200 meters.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back