• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early risers extraordinaire!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They'll have made Arneguy for a well deserved coffee provided the Estacion de Servicio is still 24 hour and Roncesvalles before the bolts were thrown
The gasolinera was closed for the New Year yesterday, so no idea if it would have been open for them that early this morning.

Perhaps more impressive yesterday were the couple of gents who seemed to want to set out from SJPP at 2:30PM, that @Bradypus may not have encountered.

Well, unless of course they were two and the same, having somewhat tempered their zeal ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They'll have made Arneguy for a well deserved coffee provided the Estacion de Servicio is still 24 hour and Roncesvalles before the bolts were thrown
I stopped for a coffee and pintxo of tortilla in one of the Arneguy cafes this morning. Two tables full of middle aged or older gents having what looked like big platos combinados with cheese for afters. Accompanied by Rioja and Ricard. Impressive stuff for 9:40 am! :cool:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I stopped for a coffee and pintxo of tortilla in one of the Arneguy cafes this morning. Two tables full of middle aged or older gents having what looked like big platos combinados with cheese for afters. Accompanied by Rioja and Ricard. Impressive stuff for 9:40 am! :cool:
Hunting season, I suspect

I remember as a complete Camino novice waking at 5.30am in SJPdP because everyone else in the alerbergue was doing so and walking for about an hour before the sun came up, then getting to Roncesvalles before they even let people in, and finding there is absolutely nothing to do there! Lesson learned - early start, yes, but not too early...!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the albergues I'm in bed usually by 9:00 pm and fall asleep quickly so by 5:00 am I've got eight hours under my belt not to mention the hour or so siesta I took the previous afternoon between albergue chores and dinner. I'm ready to get out of that bunk and get going even though it's still dark. All my stuff I get ready the evening before so I'm ready to step off thirty minutes after I get up. Unfortunately the sun isn't and neither are the cafes with coffee lol.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m so glad I’m a night person. I finally fit right in in Spain…

And because of it’s position in the time zone, where the sun rises late and sets late, the Spanish schedule is actually quite appropriate.

It’s too bad the Albergues force foreign values…🤡
Even at home, I usually eat dinner around 9 o’clock or later.

As my late brother once said to me, “there’s nothing Pious about waking up early”.

It’s strange too, both my parents were really morning people, but both my brother were definitely nIght people.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I walked my first Camino the refugios were almost all unstaffed and curfews were virtually unknown. There was no menu peregrino at typical UK hours either. So if you wanted an evening meal it was unlikely to start much before 9pm. A bit of a challenge after a 30+km day. I got into the habit of eating my main meal at lunchtime, resting for an hour or two, and then walking for a few more km before stopping. Some refugios didn't open before 4 or 5pm in any case. A very different pattern from the way things have evolved recently.

I was asked wether I had ever walked really early by another pilgrim i was told it was an interesting experience. So that morning I set off at 4 in the morning in the thick of darkness, really hungover, no moonlight, blind as a bat until my eyes got used to the darkness it was really quiet exhilarating, almost scary. So I get how some enjoy walking at this time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a Mention in Despatches for the two remarkably dedicated young men who set off from the SJPDP municipal albergue at 04:50 this morning. All the more impressively keen as sunrise didn't happen till 08:36.....
If it were me, I would have preferred not being awakened by someone leaving that early.

I left at 4am once on the Frances... I was in a deep sleep and startled awake... and thought I was late getting up. Quickly and quietly grabbed my stuff and made a quick visit to the toilets and then rapidly left the building. I was trying VERY hard not to disturb others who were still sleeping. I only had 1 roommate - but I try not to make noise in the hall as well. Got out the door, the door shut and locked behind me. And then much to my shock, I realized it was only 4am. So, what do you do at 4 am when you get yourself locked out of your albergue? You start walking! It was pitch black out as soon as I reached the end of the town (Astorga I think). Ran into my roommate eventually in the next stage town or two - and she thought I was just crazy to leave so early. Definitely was not intentional lol. I think I was really cold that morning too.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I find this kind of thing a bit sad. Walking for nearly four hours in the dark..,.,WHY?
A very similar question could be asked about why any of us walk the Camino at all. Come to think of it, the question could be asked about much of what we do in life.

Personally, I don't choose to walk in the dark, but I can imagine how "interesting" it might be to experience the path at night.

Sadness, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A very similar question could be asked about why any of us walk the Camino at all. Come to think of it, the question could be asked about much of what we do in life.

Personally, I don't choose to walk in the dark, but I can imagine how "interesting" it might be to experience the path at night.

Sadness, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.
I too, have never walked a Camino in the dark, but have left a few times in early morning when the sky begins to lighten up before the sun peeks out and they were vey trnquil and special; no headlamp was needed.
I usually walk in late spring so leaving early to avoid the heat of summer has never been a concern.

Purely guesswork on my part but I wonder if the young men had been reading a guidebook or a forum like this where people are often advised to start very early to tackle the "monumentally huge" challenge of walking to Roncesvalles. Something which is wildly exaggerated in many reports I have read over the years. Most people walk the Camino Frances in summer months where avoiding the worst heat of the day certainly makes sense. Sunrise is also much earlier in mid summer. I wonder if they even considered the difference in day length in the middle of winter or understood that even someone of my substantial girth and geriatric knees can make the 24km via Valcarlos in daylight with a couple of hours to spare even on one of the shortest days of the year.

At some point I hope the spectacular views caught up with them, to slow them in their

Maybe they're walking in a way that's easeful for them, who knows? Certainly none of us out here know enough to pass judgement.
Yes, thank you for the heads up, I just edited my remarks to remove the "to slow them down..."Ultriea, onward, to each his(her, them) own journey. Fondly, pilgrim sandi

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

And because of it’s position in the time zone, where the sun rises late and sets late, the Spanish schedule is actually quite appropriate.

As my late brother once said to me, “there’s nothing Pious about waking up early”.

It’s strange too, both my parents were really morning people, but both my brother were Definitely nice people.
Foreign values? 😆
No dude, has nothing to do with foreign values. That's a rather far fetched assumption along with a correlation between piousness and waking up early.
There's a curfew simply because of practicality. It's communal living quarters where the overwhelming majority of temporary residents want to go to sleep early and wake up early due to the nature of the circumstances why they are there in the first place, which is to walk long distances everyday whilst on an ancient religious pilgrimage. Cause and effect. Also hospitaleros for the most part are not on 24 hour duty. There's also the issue of drunken pilgrims coming in late if there was no curfew. I have personally witnessed that several times on the Camino. Drunken loud pilgrims banging on the door of the albergue begging to be let in after curfew. So foreign values have nothing to do with it. If you want to eat late, sleep late or whatever your best bet is definitely getting a hotel, pensiones etc.
As far as waking up early, I personally have done it almost my entire life because of home chores, school, military and jobs. Just came with the territory and I suppose that's why I have no problem rolling out of the rack at 0500 hours on the Camino. Never thought of it as piousness.

I remember as a complete Camino novice waking at 5.30am in SJPdP because everyone else in the alerbergue was doing so and walking for about an hour before the sun came up, then getting to Roncesvalles before they even let people in, and finding there is absolutely nothing to do there! Lesson learned - early start, yes, but not too early...!
On my first Camino we left our accommodation in SJPDP at 6.45am, we were expecting the day to be hot, walked around to reception to drop the keys in the box in the door, and found all the other keys already in there.
Had to laugh, we thought we were early, and turns out we must have been the last to leave.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first night of my 2022 Camino I was in a room with 6 other women in Villar de Mazarif. Two of them told us that their plan was to get up at 3.45 to walk in the moonlight - it was supposed to be a lunar eclipse that night. The conversation fast turned to all of us but one deciding to walk during the night. We snook out, and walked in the magnificent moonlight for a couple of hours. We saw maybe 1/3 of the eclipse before the clouds came and we walked the rest of the night in pitch darkness :D Arrived at my next destination well before the albergue opened...

I think the last lady thought we were a little annoying...

Attachments

• 667960e6-d349-4651-80bd-c6d1fb2226db.jpeg
    667960e6-d349-4651-80bd-c6d1fb2226db.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 8d2a598c-59e7-47a6-83b0-2c6399c16d26.jpeg
    8d2a598c-59e7-47a6-83b0-2c6399c16d26.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 54
Foreign values? 😆
Oh my! We’ll, “dude”, Obviously that little clown face next to my foreign values comment signified that it was a joke…

And of course I understand the situational differences, but nevertheless it’s true that many Spanish people typically live different schedules than pilgrims do. The albergue
schedules seem to me to be more driven by cleaning and office schedules.

Myself, I am always a polite guest and obey rules or go along with preferences when I’m a guest in someone else’s house or business, no matter my personal preferences.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a Mention in Despatches for the two remarkably dedicated young men who set off from the SJPDP municipal albergue at 04:50 this morning. All the more impressively keen as sunrise didn't happen till 08:36.....
I hear judgement. Perhaps one should keep to themselves. None of your business or anyone else for that matter when pilgrim should start their walk.

As long as they don't start rooting around in plastic bags.
I gotta say that's probably my only real gripe about albergue living. I totally get and have no problem with the snoring, the flatulence, the pilgrims getting up early, the chatting during siesta time just to name a few, but I will never understand the logic behind sitting in the dark, packing inventory or whatever one's backpack in the dark when just a short distance away is a common area where one can turn on the lights and do the task more efficiently and less invasive to people sleeping in the bunks.
My other gripe I just don't get is the dumping of backpack contents all over the floor next to the bunk and leaving it there causing others to have to negotiate around it. I mean c'mon, what the f..., but that's for another thread. 😆

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My other gripe I just don't get is the dumping of backpack contents all over the floor next to the bunk and leaving it there causing others to have to negotiate around it.
I never understood this either...all their belongings strewn over a dusty floor...it totally "floored" me.😅 I wondered if they live that way at home, too.🤔

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depending on the stretch you are walking the other 'problem' if you're too early is you sometimes come up against the Spaniards on their way home from a good night out! More than once (especially at Pamplona the day after the Feast of San Fermín!!) we had to join in some singing and dancing in the street as we walked past at 6am!!

One may have found a solution.

Though, I should warn pilgrims, and other service veterans will confirm this. If a body turns on a light in a barrack room too early. That light and or said body concerned, will be hit with a boot. That is why servicemen are issued with two boots.

Depending on the stretch you are walking the other 'problem' if you're too early is you sometimes come up against the Spaniards on their way home from a good night out! More than once (especially at Pamplona the day after the Feast of San Fermín!!) we had to join in some singing and dancing in the street as we walked past at 6am!!
LOL... I started as the Spaniards were finishing up their all night partying in almost every city - leaving around 6:30am I passed a lot of drunken teens/young adults meandering their way towards home. Was quite entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
One may have found a solution.

Though, I should warn pilgrims, and other service veterans will confirm this. If a body turns on a light in a barrack room too early. That light and or said body concerned, will be hit with a boot. That is why servicemen are issued with two boots.
Perhaps that is why many albergues insist that one leaves one's boots outside. They also ban bugle playing.

Just returning to the OP. The excitement of Day 1, the unknown, the opportunity to see one of the most amazing sun rises or perhaps a longer day beyond Roncesvalles may have individually or collectively contributed to an early departure. Or maybe they just like walking early….

Wondering if they were Kiwis or Aussies, the time differences can play havoc for the first few days. Particularly if you don’t rest up on arrival In SJPdP

Reflecting on my own travels on the Camino. As I have aged and the more often I have travelled the CF, the later I seem to leave, the more I spend exploring and the less I feel an urgency to depart and/or arrive.

@Bradypus if you see them again, it would be great to hear something of them and your journey.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

It’s strange too, both my parents were really morning people, but both my brother were definitely nIght people.
Me also. My work nights I usually eat between 7:30 PM and 8:30 PM because I get up at 4:45 AM for work. But days off, I eat between 9 and 10 PM. I'am ready for the Spanish "Time Zone" of eating.

I hear judgement. Perhaps one should keep to themselves. None of your business or anyone else for that matter when pilgrim should start their walk.
I don't think the issue is necessarily when they started their walk. The issue is when they got up in a shared dormitory and how much (if at all) they disturbed other people. If you get a dozen or more individuals of varying demographics and cultures in the same place at the same time, you will get disagreements. The trick (and it is a very simple one) is to learn how to accommodate others. By the way, getting up late is going to seriously incommodate the hospitaleros who typically have 4 hours to clean and tidy the albergue top to bottom, have lunch, go shopping, relax and attend to their personal business before the next batch of pilgrims arrive.

Whilst I am embarking on my first Camino, I want to really go with the flow, I think that the whole experience at different times of the day inspires different insights and awareness. This conversation has reminded me to pack a head torch!
With that sort of attitude I think your going to have a great Camino! Ultreia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder if they might be planning long days. Sounds like they were pretty respectful so that’s a plus

I wonder if they might be planning long days. Sounds like they were pretty respectful so that’s a plus
There's not much accommodation open just now. If they went beyond Roncesvalles their next option would be Zubiri - another 21km further on. Given the ascent to Roncesvalles that would be a very ambitious first day.

PS: I crossed the bridge at Trinidad de Arre a couple of hours ago. As I did I remembered that was where I spent my second night in Spain after walking that day from Roncesvalles. Of course I was less than half my present age and about 2/3 of my current weight at the time... :cool:

I find this kind of thing a bit sad. Walking for nearly four hours in the dark..,.,WHY?
I don't remember if I ever walked 4 hours before it got light but in my 2016 Camino we certainly tried to be on the road before 6, when it was still dark. Why? We were walking in July and August in Spain. It behooved us to try and get the majority of our walking done before the hottest part of the day set in. It seemed common sense to do that at the time.

In 2018, when I was walking in October, I wasn't so concerned about getting up early and tended to get up when everyone else did. Which tended to be around 7 am, still dark at that time of year.

Predawn dark on the Camino when the sky is cloudless and moonless is the essence of natural solitude. The ground and the road are dark. The field of stars overhead is immense. The dome of the sky is wallpapered with twinkles of varying brightness. If the moon is full, you’ll be impressed by how much illumination it provides. Separately, dawn is an ethereal period. It’s a transition. It’s magical on the Camino. Sunrise gets defined as a particular moment when the earth’s rotation turns a specific location out of the shadow of the horizon. Dawn, on the other hand, is almost imperceptible and is heard in distant cowbells or rooster crows. Dawn rolls towards the sun at a snail’s pace. Black sky transitions to dark purple to dark blue, until you realize you no longer need your headlight. (DEFINITELY PACK A HEADLIGHT). Walking along the high plains of Spain, every few kilometers passing a flock of sheep or cows, in the morning darkness, is well worth setting the alarm a bit earlier for.

I left the albergues every morning about 5 AM. I didn't intend to but I usually sleep about 6 hours and lights off we're at 10 so I found myself staring at the ceiling in the morning dark about 4-4:30 AM range. So I just rolled with it. I planned ahead to limit making noise when I left in the morning. I found those predawn walks under the glorious stars and watching the sunrise was simply awe inspiring. It made my Camino and would definitely do it again when or if I get a chance to walk again. The only morning I didn't was in Burgos at the municipal albergue they didn't unlock the doors until 6 AM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some of us are not so happy with such pre-dawn smartphone jingles in the dorms as we try to get some sleep and rest.
Instead of an audible alarm - this is when something like an apple watch comes in handy - if I need an alarm at any time while travelling and staying in rooms with others who are not part of my family - I set my apple watch to gently (and quietly) vibrate on my wrist. A rather nice way to wake up, actually!

I left the albergues every morning about 5 AM. I didn't intend to but I usually sleep about 6 hours and lights off we're at 10 so I found myself staring at the ceiling in the morning dark about 4-4:30 AM range. So I just rolled with it. I planned ahead to limit making noise when I left in the morning. I found those predawn walks under the glorious stars and watching the sunrise was simply awe inspiring. It made my Camino and would definitely do it again when or if I get a chance to walk again. The only morning I didn't was in Burgos at the municipal albergue they didn't unlock the doors until 6 AM.
Yes, it is hard when your biological clock wakes you up too early. I try so hard to "sleep in" - but I just can't do it! I was often awake at 4 or 5am on the Camino. But I did stay silently laying in my bed until someone else started getting up and rustling around in the room. Usually that happened at 6 - so once they getting out of bed - I quickly grabbed my stuff and left. I didn't want to be the "first" person to wake people up.

€60,-
Yes, it is hard when your biological clock wakes you up too early. I try so hard to "sleep in" - but I just can't do it! I was often awake at 4 or 5am on the Camino. But I did stay silently laying in my bed until someone else started getting up and rustling around in the room. Usually that happened at 6 - so once they getting out of bed - I quickly grabbed my stuff and left. I didn't want to be the "first" person to wake people up.
I tried really hard to be quiet, bottom bunk nearest to the door. I sometimes put my backpack outside the door and kept my papers, electronics, money etc in a small daypack in my bunk. I would wake up grab that and my bed liner and sneak out as best I could. I hope I didn't bother anyone. I did my best anyway.

limit making noise when I left in the morning. I found those predawn walks under the glorious stars and watching the sunrise was simply awe inspiring.

As a big fan of the stars I do enjoy being out before sunrise.
I can see your points. But perhaps I should point out that this was nearly four hours before the sun rose. Which would have been hard to spot anyway on a day with 100% cloud cover and persistent rain for most of the time. Not ideal conditions for nocturnal sightseeing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No need to use an alarm clock. Usually your bed shakes at 6 o´clock when the other bunk shake the bunk beds and starts doing the motions of packing, coughing, running to the loo etc...
Since my first Camino this is why I now sleep no longer than 6 o´clock in the morning
Practical....

Last edited:
I can see your points. But perhaps I should point out that this was nearly four hours before the sun rose. Which would have been hard to spot anyway on a day with 100% cloud cover and persistent rain for most of the time. Not ideal conditions for nocturnal sightseeing.
I just found I was awake anyway as I just woke up. In the beginning leaving in Roncasvalles rather then just lay there in the dark or maybe make noise and light trying to find something to read I thought I might as well just get going. I found if nothing else I loved the solitude. I do admit I didn't see some things as well in the dark so if I walked again I would choose different towns to start from to see somethings I missed it being dark. One of the most haunting one I saw was the mass grave memorial before Burgos in the dark.
I didn't start the Camino with that intent, but because I just wake up after around 6 hrs which was around 4:30- 5, it left me with lay in the dark, get out a light, possibly make noise and read, or get going. Like I said it was a amazing experience walking in the predawn dark, and yes there was mornings the stars weren't out, it was misty rain one morning. I did miss somethings in the dark I would love to walk again timing my stops differently to be able to see in the daylight, but on the other hand there was things in the darkness that was almost ethereal. I walked past the civil war memorial after Villafranca Montes de Oca, the monumento de Los Caidos, the Spanish civil war memorial under which is mass graves, it took me a few minutes to realize what it was and it felt absolutely holy in the darkness. I could almost feel the pain. I sat a few minutes in the darkness just soaking up all of feelings from them. Arco San Anton was another thing I saw in the dark that felt absolutely haunting. I want to see that and stay at the albergue the next time if I can.
My walk was totally a spiritual quest and that alone time really helped make it so special. I would do again the same way if nothing else because of my sleep pattern laying in the albergue listening to people sleep just seemed so frustrating, what to do with myself without waking everyone.
My morning after Sarria I walked and above the trail in the exploded sky of stars a full moon shined, or at least seemed to be shining right on me. All was right with the world, with God and me.
I totally get doing it my way certainly doesn't work for everyone though.

I just found I was awake anyway as I just woke up. In the beginning leaving in Roncasvalles rather then just lay there in the dark or maybe make noise and light trying to find something to read I thought I might as well just get going.
I personally see no reason why you should have to defend yourself for leaving early as long as you are respectful and have found ways to be as quiet as possible. It is no fun to be wide awake and feel you must lay in bed for hours longer waiting til the lights go on at 6:00ish.

Predawn dark on the Camino when the sky is cloudless and moonless is the essence of natural solitude. The ground and the road are dark. The field of stars overhead is immense. The dome of the sky is wallpapered with twinkles of varying brightness. If the moon is full, you’ll be impressed by how much illumination it provides. Separately, dawn is an ethereal period. It’s a transition. It’s magical on the Camino. Sunrise gets defined as a particular moment when the earth’s rotation turns a specific location out of the shadow of the horizon. Dawn, on the other hand, is almost imperceptible and is heard in distant cowbells or rooster crows. Dawn rolls towards the sun at a snail’s pace. Black sky transitions to dark purple to dark blue, until you realize you no longer need your headlight. (DEFINITELY PACK A HEADLIGHT). Walking along the high plains of Spain, every few kilometers passing a flock of sheep or cows, in the morning darkness, is well worth setting the alarm a bit earlier for.
I love the time in the morning when images slowly change from black and white to colour. Magic!

Some of us have biological clocks that are set this way. I wake up at 4am almost everyday. Before I retired, I would be at the gym by 4:45am and finish my workout by 6:00 before eating breakfast and heading out to work. I would have to be under the weather to stay in bed past 6am. But I don’t find it “sad” if someone else needs to sleep late. There is also a peaceful silence in the silent darkness which I enjoy. No crowds as well!

We always stay in private rooms when in albergues, however, as to minimize the noise we might make from an early departure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two more benefits of leaving in the dark:

1) On the Camino Frances, we walk away from the sunrise (westward), so the sun rises at your back. How many times have you watched a sunrise by looking the other way? Really neat to watch the shadow of the horizon drop as sunrise approaches.

2) You can be early in line for freshly baked bread from a small town bakery. When it's early morning, if your timing is right, when you catch the scent of a bakery, and then you see a local restaurant owner buying his daily bread, you can better understand the use of the term Communion for the breaking of bread in church.

I walked the Vis de la Plata in mid August one year. It was an absolute necessity to start before sunrise. The sun was like a torch as soon as it was up. Temperature well over 100, even in morning.

There was the problem of sketchy route marking at that time. Finding obscure and scarce markers by headlamp was challenging.

Of course, there was no problem regarding bothering other pilgrims when gettin up early. There were no other pilgrims in August😎. I did not see others until Salamanca where my wife, Ellie, joined me for the remainder of way to Santiago.

Thank you for this beautiful description. This is why I like waking in the dark… the solitude, stillness and silence are spectacular. I feel one with the earth, in a way not to be encountered during daylight. I would encourage others to try.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1) On the Camino Frances, we walk away from the sunrise (westward), so the sun rises at your back. How many times have you watched a sunrise by looking the other way? Really neat to watch the shadow of the horizon drop as sunrise approaches.
Yes - but beware, the result if you're wearing shorts is an important need to apply sunscreen to the backs of your legs at a very early hour!! Several days I wondered why I was getting red legs when I was applying sunscreen then realised it was about 7am in the morning early walking!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Given that this Camino will be my first one, do have several questions including the one about bunks in dormitories and waking up in the morning. I need an alarm to wake up but in dorms, I don’t suppose you can use your phone alarm as nice as it could be. I am a heavy sleeper.
How do you wake up without waking other sleepers and or the whole dormitory?

Phone alarm on vibrate. Tuck in your “shorts” - you’ll wake up!

Alternatively you’ll likely be woken by all those Erics who don’t set their phones to vibrate; wave their headlamps around and even phone their mum to tell her they’re awake
Panic on board..didn’t think of that..of course….dumb, dumber, dumbest?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my first Camino, I found it really hard to sleep prior to 'Day 1' up the hill.
Probably jet lag, nervousness, excitement.
I was awake from about 3:30 am.

Seriously thought about starting out early.........
But
A. I didn't want to miss breakfast in the Hotel, and
B. I was only walking as far as Orisson!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back