• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early September, too crowded?

Joseito

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hi everyone.

I'm planning to do a couple of weeks of the Camino in September, starting at SJPDP on Sept 1st and seeing how far I can get in two weeks, my guess is Burgos.

I chose September because I wanted lower temperatures and to not have to struggle every day when trying to find a bed at the end of the day. However, after doing some research now I'm a bit worried about how crowded it might be on those dates, it seems like a lot of people like to start at SJPDP in September! (also, sept 1st is a Sunday, which probably wont help)

I'd love to hear what people who have started at SJPDP in early Sept have to say, will it be too crowded or is it manageable? I speak spanish and could easily book a bed ahead of time, but I'd like to avoid that since I want to experience the freedom of deciding what I'm doing as the day goes by. But I also don't want to rush my walk just to get a bed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You’ve picked a season when many walk, though the peak crowds of July will have claimed their compostelas and gone home many have your aspirations - cooler temperatures and fewer pilgrims. Everybody flocks there for the peace and solitude.

Seasonal average temperatures are here: http://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos?l=9263D&k=nav

I'd book your first two or three days accommodation, plan to go slowly, and maybe spend an extra night in StJdpP and start on Monday with the bun-fight of the week-end departures well ahead of you. It'll all settle down by Pamplona.

Buen Camino

Thanks for the reply Tin, very helpful. Do you think that there might be less pilgrims if I left a week earlier? Say started walking on August 26th instead?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the difference would be at least marginal. Starting on a Monday or Tuesday will make a difference to the number of pilgrims starting that day compared to the " finish work Friday, fly on Saturday, start on Sunday" pulse but if you are determined to walk the camino Frances in September or at any time other than deep winter you will encounter many fellow travellers but also an infrastructure that has grown to cope. Temperatures in August will, likely, be high but the impact of latent temperature depends on your life experience. Anything above 20c is to warm for serious hiking for me but i'm old and I grew up in an arctic maritime climate where 25c is considered an excuse for newspaper headlines featuring photos of girls in bikinis on the beach. Your mileage may vary.

If you want to make Pilgrimage to Santiago, or just hike some Camino, and you have opportunity: do it.

All the other stuff: best time, best Albergue, best Bocadillo, best route, best Orujo, best Backpack, best underpants, best grumpy old mans opinion.... Well thats all just "stuff" and has no real significance. ;)

Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think the difference would be at least marginal. Starting on a Monday or Tuesday will make a difference to the number of pilgrims starting that day compared to the " finish work Friday, fly on Saturday, start on Sunday" pulse but if you are determined to walk the camino Frances in September or at any time other than deep winter you will encounter many fellow travellers but also an infrastructure that has grown to cope. Temperatures in August will, likely, be high but the impact of latent temperature depends on your life experience. Anything above 20c is to warm for serious hiking for me but i'm old and I grew up in an arctic maritime climate where 25c is considered an excuse for newspaper headlines featuring photos of girls in bikinis on the beach. Your mileage may vary.

If you want to make Pilgrimage to Santiago, or just hike some Camino, and you have opportunity: do it.

All the other stuff: best time, best Albergue, best Bocadillo, best route, best Orujo, best Backpack, best underpants, best grumpy old mans opinion.... Well thats all just "stuff" and has no real significance. ;)

Buen camino

I really appreciate the advice, I could potentially start a week earlier, on the 26th of August instead, just need to work out some logistics.

Thanks!

Sadly, the best Orujo isn't available anywhere on the Camino Frances: you have to go to.... Oh no, I'm not giving that one away ;)

Much as I would like to walk every Camino and taste every orujo looking for the best, sadly that isn't possible...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked three years ago from 1st September . There were a lot of people walking to Roncesvalles on the same day, and Zubiri filled up. But it didn't feel as though it was crowded. The biggest problem for me was the heat.

Hi everyone.

I'm planning to do a couple of weeks of the Camino in September, starting at SJPDP on Sept 1st and seeing how far I can get in two weeks, my guess is Burgos.

I chose September because I wanted lower temperatures and to not have to struggle every day when trying to find a bed at the end of the day. However, after doing some research now I'm a bit worried about how crowded it might be on those dates, it seems like a lot of people like to start at SJPDP in September! (also, sept 1st is a Sunday, which probably wont help)

I'd love to hear what people who have started at SJPDP in early Sept have to say, will it be too crowded or is it manageable? I speak spanish and could easily book a bed ahead of time, but I'd like to avoid that since I want to experience the freedom of deciding what I'm doing as the day goes by. But I also don't want to rush my walk just to get a bed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
We walked last year starting the last week of August and booked at Orisson, and the following night, which wasn't necessary and none thereafter, and had no problem finding Albergue bed's for the night.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there!! I started September 6th in 2015 and if it’s lower temperatures you’re looking for, you may not get them. It was a solid 28° almost every day for two weeks and then it cooled off. By the time we reached Santiago on Oct. 7, we were wearing our merino wool hats and gloves every morning!!

Buen Camino!!

Hi everyone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Joseito, just a thought; unless you’re hard set on starting at SJPP, you might consider the Primitivo, starting at Oviedo and walking all the way to SDC in 12-13 days. Far less crowded, beautiful scenery, a bit more rugged.

September is busy on the CF for sure. If you are hoping for cooler temperatures start later not earlier.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm starting on September 7 and I have booked albergues through Pamplona. I've read that after Pamplona things start to thin out.

I wish you the best of Camino experiences! But if you want to avoid the crowds leaving SJPdP, the first two weeks of September are not going to work well. Here is a link to an earlier thread, which has a graph of the numbers of pilgrims walking the first stage of the Camino Frances. You will notice that May and September are the two highest months of the entire year, and I've seen weekly numbers that show the first two weeks of September are the absolute highest two week period of the year. (The graph is from 2015, but this has not changed in the last few years). It always disturbs me to see experienced members of this forum saying that September is a lighter month on the Camino. It is true the number of pilgrims entering Santiago begins to drop in September, but that is because so many folks start in Sarria (or some other 100km point along one of the other routes). Here is the link:
Buen Camino!

You’ve picked a season when many walk, though the peak crowds of July will have claimed their compostelas and gone home many have your aspirations - cooler temperatures and fewer pilgrims. Everybody flocks there for the peace and solitude.

Seasonal average temperatures are here: http://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos?l=9263D&k=nav

I'd book your first two or three days accommodation, plan to go slowly, and maybe spend an extra night in StJdpP and start on Monday with the bun-fight of the week-end departures well ahead of you. It'll all settle down by Pamplona.

Buen Camino
Thank you for the link i was trying to find average temp and rainfall for my Sept./ Oct. camino all my ?s answered😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I started September 1st three years ago and found no problems with crowds however the temperatures hit 38degrees on day one walking the Pyrenees .
Be prepared for all eventualities , but most of all enjoy the journey.
Don’t be put off by what people say, it is your Camino and how you do it is so very personal.
Buen Camino

Hi everyone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Buen Camino Joseito, I'm very excited for you.😁

Sept 4, 2013 I set out from SLPdP. (Wednesday)

Upon my arrival the night before on the last train from Bayonne (which was delayed by an hour) I stood in line at the pilgrims office nearing 8:00PM with MANY other pilgrims who later would become part of my Camino family. The volunteers helped many of us get a bed where I literally slept in an attic of an albergue that was competo. There were two beds in the attic one for me and one for an Irishman and a hole in the roof. Oh the magic and wonder of the Camino.💖

The first morning I set out later then most (pil-a-gringa) a name that would stick LOL. I arrived Roncesvalles as the bells tolled 7:00PM. I stood in line for a while with other pilgrims to receive our stamp and bed when I was blessed to get one of the last beds in the overflow, the old, really old building (the one in the movie The Way). 200 beds or something like that. What a real treat.

Day 2, walking to Zubiri. I hobbled in and got the last bed in the first Alburgue on your right after you cross the bridge. Another blessing as they were laying down mats at a near by overflow and a lot of pilgrims were transported or walked to Larrassoana. Counting my blessings.

Day 3, I walked quickly through Pamplona, it was so crowded I would have frustrated myself to no end trying to find the alburgue or any other accommodation, I walked on to Cizur Manor they still had beds but like most places became completo.

There were several other villages I stopped in where I got the last bed. Septemeber is crowded and even more so nearly 6 years later, (it has exploded) and expect hot weather at least until you get further down into Galicia. Thirty-Four days later, I loved every minute of my Camino so much so I did it again. Just let go and let the Camino provide, open yourself up and you will receive and witness many a magical moment along with a few mini miracles.

God Bless,
:cool:👣

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wish you the best of Camino experiences! But if you want to avoid the crowds leaving SJPdP, the first two weeks of September are not going to work well. Here is a link to an earlier thread, which has a graph of the numbers of pilgrims walking the first stage of the Camino Frances. You will notice that May and September are the two highest months of the entire year, and I've seen weekly numbers that show the first two weeks of September are the absolute highest two week period of the year. (The graph is from 2015, but this has not changed in the last few years). It always disturbs me to see experienced members of this forum saying that September is a lighter month on the Camino. It is true the number of pilgrims entering Santiago begins to drop in September, but that is because so many folks start in Sarria (or some other 100km point along one of the other routes). Here is the link:
Buen Camino!
Perhaps it gets lighter as September moves forward?

Thanks for all the feedback peregrin@s! you are seriously making me re-think my plans.

Basically due to other constraints, if I don't start on Sept 1st, I'd either have to start a week earlier or postpone until the 28th of September.

I know that the temperature in that region is quite nice in October, so perhaps it's a better choice? Hmm...

Hi everyone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi there,

I started in Sept. 5 years ago, and walked the CF a second time this year in the spring, as well as a part of it last year in August. I would say that this April was the busiest I've ever seen it. Everyone's read Brierley's book and consequently people are arriving in April and the numbers in high summer may even be falling. But don't quote me, that's just my impression.

The three I walked with from Larrasoaña were already wary of walking without a reservation after two episodes of 'completo'. The bed race seems to have begun right from SJPdP now, at least in the minds of some walkers. The fact that those two irksome evenings of walking-on had furnished my companions with their most cherished anecdotes, that they dined out on the story of those two days, didn't cut any ice with them, they wanted to book ahead and that was that. And yet the camino (alert: cliché approaching!) had indeed provided for them. I say walk on with hope in your heart and some shelter will be forthcoming.

As for temperatures, September's late summer but it's also mountain country, so be prepared for all sorts, hot, cold, rain, mist, snow, dry, the lot.

P.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the feedback peregrin@s! you are seriously making me re-think my plans.

Basically due to other constraints, if I don't start on Sept 1st, I'd either have to start a week earlier or postpone until the 28th of September.

I know that the temperature in that region is quite nice in October, so perhaps it's a better choice? Hmm...
I don't know how long you plan to take, but if you start on 9/28 it will be pretty cold when you arrive in Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm starting on September 7 and I have booked albergues through Pamplona. I've read that after Pamplona things start to thin out.

This was my experience in 2018. I booked only my first 2 nights ahead, then everything was full on my 3rd night so I had to keep walking (I think a bonus ~12km) to find a place with space. Once I was through Pamplona it thinned out. Makes sense...everyone starts in the same place, there's a denser crowd for a few days.

Edit: I started in the first week of September (realized I didn't say that)

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm starting on September first. Booked SJPdP, Orrison, Roncesvalles and Zubiri then hoping to wing it. My understanding is if you book the first few nights you'll be alright. We'll see :) Hoping someone joins my Express Bouricott on August 29th!

My (then) wife and I will be starting 9/28. I started on 9/13 in 2017. I believe 2 weeks will make a difference with reduced crowds and temperatures. That said, I have booked ahead, far ahead actually, as I know the places I want to stop (and not stop) and can cancel if need be.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen camino
Thanks for all the info. I will starting in a couple of weeks.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back