• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

early september vs early october

bostonYogaFan

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances: sept 2018
hello. i am planning on cycling 7-10 days on the camino frances this fall. i have two possible time windows: 1) early september 2) early october. which time period would you recommend? i am going solo. are there still a decent number of pilgims on the camino in early october or will i be somewhat alone? many thanks for your help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having cycled during Sept to early Oct I think its a matter of personal choice. However there is one thing to consider - the further west you get the later the sun rises. I recall leaving Rabanal at 8.15/8.30 when it was still morning twilight. The sun did not rise until I was nearly at Foncebardon. It was even later from Melide, but by then I was use to the situation. If you stay in private accommodation where they allow you to set your own departure time its not a problem, but in the municipal ones with strict 8.00 am departure times you might need a tail light and even a head torch. Or just go have an extra coffee and wait for the sun to show!! Cheers

I cycled the camino first 2 weeks of october last year. The weather was exceptionally good for the time of the year. Yet, in the morning, it was ice cold. Bring both full cycling gloves (morning), and fingerless gloves (day). Wear many layers, which you discard one per one as the day progresses. I only had some rain leaving SJPP (pretty crappy to drive up the napoleon route in the mud), and the day I arrived in Santiago (queued for the compostela absolutely soaked). Most pilgrims wake up around 7AM, and I got on the route together with them. Bring a good headlight (like a petzl), and a good bikelight (like a Knog Blinder). First hour of the day you will probably ride in the dark. Keep in mind that the walkers can be pretty ignorant about walking in the dark: all over the road, dark clothes, no light, no reflectors. I've had a couple of near misses. I drove every day until 4PM, exceptionally until 5PM, and made an average of 80KM/day, which brought me from SJPP to Santiago in 10 days. Driving through the fields in the morning and seeing the sun come up bright orange is a mighty sight !!!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back