• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Early September weather on the Via de la Plata?

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I'm guessing the temperatures will have begun to drop then and it won't be quite as hot as July or August. Would it be a good time to start this Camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The next four days in Seville is ~40C. Of course, I did the Levante from Valencia this year leaving March 1st. I couldn't imagine leaving much later....Much of the southern part of Spain is walking without shade.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
People recommend this route for spring, and I for one would love to see the wild peonies bloom then. However we do most of our Camino trips in northern Autumn and usually leave at the start of September, getting into to Santiago in late October before the worst of the rains hit. This has served us well and we found the vdp to be fine for walking then. But we do leave early in the day and aim to stop before 2 or 3 in the afternoon as it gets you in before the heat of the day really takes over. It also means you get the end of the long Spainish lunch, as we found in the remote places things tend to close and not reopen til very late, if at all.

There are several other threads on doing the vdp at this time and I got in trouble for saying it's not that hard and so won't say it again (except I just did). You can read our blog for the unvarnished truth, you will see I moan about it getting cold and wet up around Salamanca, so be prepared for the change in weather as you go.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the temperatures will have begun to drop then and it won't be quite as hot as July or August. Would it be a good time to start this Camino?
I started 18 September (2013) from Seville and the temperatures were nudging 40C. It was seriously hot as far as Mérida, where it rained.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
People recommend this route for spring, and I for one would love to see the wild peonies bloom then. However we do most of our Camino trips in northern Autumn and usually leave at the start of September, getting into to Santiago in late October before the worst of the rains hit. This has served us well and we found the vdp to be fine for walking then. But we do leave early in the day and aim to stop before 2 or 3 in the afternoon as it gets you in before the heat of the day really takes over. It also means you get the end of the long Spainish lunch, as we found in the remote places things tend to close and not reopen til very late, if at all.

There are several other threads on doing the vdp at this time and I got in trouble for saying it's not that hard and so won't say it again (except I just did). You can read our blog for the unvarnished truth, you will see I moan about it getting cold and wet up around Salamanca, so be prepared for the change in weather as you go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is your blog...would love to read it.
Starting Salamanca 16th Sept
Links on the bottom of our signature, see below.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?
Trail from Santiponce to Guillena is totally underwater. as was local road. Only option was highway that you can't walk on. Nice man gave us ride around for 15 euros.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back