• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Earplug advice needed

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hello forum members,
After walking three Caminos, it is time for me to update/upgrade my earplugs. The ones I've been using are "ok", but I'm sure I can improve my ability to reduce the common albergue noises of snoring and morning bag rustling with a better option. Do any of you have your own tried and true favorites? I could look for reviews on Amazon, but it's much more fun to get some answers here! :)
Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Chris, I use wax earplugs, recommended for swimmers. Roll a piece really thin, point it into your ear, then press the rest into the space around your ear as much as you can. Happy dreams!
Jill

Most don't work for the low frequencies associated with snoring . They are primarily designed to limit the damaging high frequency sounds of industrial practices.
Bluetac is used by doctors and nurses alike when trying to snatch an hour's rest in busy emergency wards.
It's cheap , reusable and available from any newsagent or office supply shop .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Chris, I use wax earplugs, recommended for swimmers. Roll a piece really thin, point it into your ear, then press the rest into the space around your ear as much as you can. Happy dreams!
Jill
Are wax earplugs reusable each day?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When my ear plugs were defeated by a particularly loud snorer close by I found that plugging in my iPhone and listening to restful music did a brilliant job.

I use foam earplugs when riding my motorcycle. But I found the moldable silicone earplugs (I got the Walgreens brand) worked best to block out snoring and other noise in the albergues and they stay in well all night. I was able to reuse them, but only for a couple of nights before they had hair and fibers stuck to them and I had to throw them out. I am going to bring a lot more next time!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too like wax ear plugs and also get the Ohropax variety. They are quite large, but easily trimmed with scissors. I take off about 1/3 of each for a good fit for my ear. I replace after about a couple of weeks.

Sorry, no earplug advice. I sleep like the dead. Upon morning reanimation I have had people complain: that they fell out of bed, fought with roommates, someone awakened everyone in albergue whilst I blissfully slept on.

Wax is the way! Tried foam and they are worthless. Swimmers earplugs. Bring a few sets because the wax gets gross after a while and doesn't work well. I used three pair for 41 days on the trail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm with the Ohropax wax earplugs-brigade. One piece = 2 plugs. In France you can buy them in any Pharmacie as Quies.

I've tried all sorts of earplugs but found the foam ones worked best for me on the Camino. Having said that though, the important thing is inserting them properly i.e. as someone said above, roll them into a really thin tube, but then bring your other hand over the top of your head and pull on the top of your ear to open the ear canal while inserting the tube of foam. This worked like magic for me, snorers could do their worst, I still slept fine.

Can anyone comment on a comparison between wax and silicone ear plugs?

I am interested if one is as good as the other. Silicone should last longer, at least IMHO.

Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Private rooms in albergues, hotels or Pensions eliminates the need for ear plugs. Our Camino experience literally became 10 times better once we gave up on bunk rooms. Still have all the good parts of socializing with fellow pilgrims, but having a good night's sleep every night puts you in such a better frame of mind to start each day.
Yes, a little more expensive, but Camino's are so cheap compared to any other type of over seas travelling, for my wife and I the extra cost of private rooms is well worth it.

Hearos Xtreme Protection foam ear plugs are fabulous. And I learned about them on this forum years ago. The only down side is that they are so effective that I once slept through a hotel fire alarm until my husband woke me. They last for weeks and wash easily with a bit of soap and hot water. We bought them when travelling to the USA. Fabulous things.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bumping an old thread to also highly recommend Ohropax wax earplugs as others have above. Different things work for different people, of course, but these are perfect for me.

There's so much talk on these forums about the difficulties of albergue sleeping and I often see people saying that earplugs are uncomfortable or don't work etc, and it's a shame to see people struggling when the solution seems so easy. When I use these, I have no discomfort at all, I hear nothing and I sleep well. Actually, I like them so much that I use them every night now, camino or not. Not to block out specific noise, but I live in an apartment building in a city centre, so occasionally there may be noise during the night, as well as early morning trams. And also because I feel naked without them!

If you have tried foam or other types of earplugs and they haven't done it for you, give these a go!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I still need to try these wax ones. I have pretty good results with a certain type of dense foam sold at Walgreens, but they make my ears itch. Maybe I can find these on Amazon. Thanks, Jungleboy!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.