• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Earthquake in Japan

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
My thoughts go out to our friends in Japan and to those stranded elsewhere in the world and unable to get home. Our hearts are with you as you suffer this unimaginable devastation.

lynne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
thanks Lynne
i think of my Japanese friend Michika who i walked with for a while
will i ever forget the 48kay short-cut (!) she took me on
hope you safe little sister

Yes, so many Japanese pilgrims along the way over the years. I met several wonderful Japanese pilgrims on my trips, sending love and light.... :arrow:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Once again, I quote without comment:
The outspoken governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara, told reporters Monday that the disaster was "punishment from heaven" because Japanese have become greedy.

Falcon, no comment necessary :cry:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On his first day back from vacation, Glenn Beck addressed the earthquake in Japan, and said he thinks that it could be a "message [is] being sent" by God.

Speaking on his radio show Monday, Beck said, "I'm not saying God is, you know, causing earthquakes," before quickly adding, "I'm not not saying that either."

He then said that whatever one called God, "there's a message being sent. And that is, 'Hey, you know that stuff we're doing? Not really working out real well. Maybe we should stop doing some of it.' I'm just saying."

Re: Earthquake in Japan (NOT sent by God).

My heart goes out for the people of Japan. I hope those who are able will contribute generously to relief efforts.

I think Glen Beck's implications are pretty slimy. Maybe God's message is "hey, be compassionate, be generous, give to these people as they try to rebuild their lives - those who have their lives." It's easy to sit and judge those people "over there", but I doubt Mr. Beck would be preaching the same message if it didn't suit his political agenda, or if it was his family that was washed away. It's easy to blame God (or dance around intimating that) for bad things that happen to other people, without questioning what we need to be doing differently. It's a little too convenient to be psychologically and spiritually abusive with bad theology, but people have been using bad theology to frighten, judge, blame, and retain oppressive power for years. I think God expects a little more out of Beck and all of us than the easy theology of 'bad things happen to bad people'.

If falcon could refrain from posting quotes and say what he thinks himself we might know where he is coming from. But please keep this this thread respectful to the many people whose lives have been torn apart by this tragedy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If falcon could refrain from posting quotes and say what he thinks himself
My thoughts, they were just written by another:

Japan
The Stupidest Things Said About Japan on the Internet
By Nick Greene, Tue., Mar. 15 2011

We always love to say that "tragedy brings out the best in people." Unfortunately, that's not always the case. As we documented earlier, people flocked to Twitter and Facebook in droves to celebrate the Japanese earthquake and subsequent tsunami, which have been responsible for thousands upon thousands of deaths, as some sort of karmic payback for Pearl Harbor or otherwise glib punchline. It feels dirty to even acknowledge these idiots, but seeing that it is not socially acceptable to put people in the stocks anymore, they probably deserve the shame. While rescue workers are pulling victims from the rubble, brave engineers are risking their lives to contain a possible nuclear disaster and countless others are grieving, there are still people who find it acceptable to spew bullsh** into a world that needs anything but bullsh**.

Yes, everyone has the right to speak their mind; free speech is the reason we're able to sit here and write that maybe people should stop saying mean things about Japan. Tragedy and sheer devastation aside, saying this stuff on the internet makes you look pretty dumb.

Alexandra Wallace, the now-famous UCLA student who ranted right after the tsunami about "these hordes of Asian people that UCLA accepts into our school every year," has achieved infamy and celebrity because of her YouTube video. LA Weekly has her story, and whether she intended to or not, she has become the bubbly, blonde figurehead of people who probably now regret saying what they did about Japan.

Celebrities, people who have little else to do other than manicure their image, have proven to be some of the worst offenders. While any jackass with a Twitter account can immediately document a misconception they've formed on a whim, the following "people of note" are consciously aware of who is listening to them and their influence. Some of them are trying to be funny, some of them are communicating their beliefs. All of them should be feeling stupid right about now:

50 Cent
The rapper, whose Twitter feed often reads like a series of text messages from your drunkest, most obnoxious friend, surprised no one when he made rash comments about the disasters in Japan. While not malicious, they are still woefully out-of-touch. Later he admitted being ignorant for shock value.

Gilbert Gottfried
We already reported that Gottfried was fired by insurance company Aflac for his stream of Twitter jokes about the earthquake and tsunami. It's worth noting that he experienced somewhat of a career renaissance almost a decade ago for being one of the first people to joke about 9/11 after the terrorist attacks. Perhaps he thought a second horrific tragedy was a chance to further enhance his career.

Alec Sulkin
We also featured Family Guy writer Alec Sulkin's tweet on a previous post:

Family Guy is known for toeing the line and cultivating humor from the uncomfortable and tragic, but that previous tweet wasn't even an attempt to be funny (and if it was, maybe that explains The Cleveland Show). He later apologized and tweeted, "Yesterday death toll = 200. Today = 10,000. I am sorry for my insensitive Tweet. It's gone." He obviously doesn't mean to convey that "200 deaths=okay," but to those scoring at home, it's confusing.

Larry Kudlow
The CNBC host said on air, "The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll, and we can be grateful for that." To be fair, that is easy to take out of context. The context being the devastating natural disasters that have killed over 10,000 people. Oh wait, that does sound bad in context. Kudlow apologized on Twitter, blaming the gaffe on a "flubbed" line. Maybe he should stick to what CNBC anchors do best and just focus on being wrong about the markets.

Cappie Pondexter
Pondexter, who plays for the WNBA's New York Liberty, felt that her opinions on the matter were so pressing she had to write them down for posterity. Unfortunately for posterity, her opinions were also misguided, hurtful and woefully constructed. She tweeted: What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes.

And went on to write:
u just never knw! They did pearl harbor so u can't expect anything less.

She wrote an extended apology, but given the quality of her previous works, we won't subject you to that beautiful prose again. You can read it here.

Glenn Beck
You know what, no. No Glenn Beck. No Pat Robertson, either. They both said things about Japan that we find wrong. The difference between them and the other people we wrote about is that they're probably not going to face any repercussions from what they said. In fact, they make money from it. If you want to see what they said, go here.

People are going to say stupid things, and just because they have a platform doesn't mean they represent anyone but themselves. If you feel compelled to make an effort to help Japan, please text "REDCROSS" to 90999, $10 will be donated to the relief efforts. Also, here is a list of different organizations and ways to help.
I graduated from high school in Japan at a school established for the children of Christian missionaries, and view that country as my second native land.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.