• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easier to get to Oviedo vs Madrid from Leon?

Bill Ronan

Time of past OR future Camino
September - October 2016 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Leon
September - October 2017 Leon to Santiago
I have a flight to London booked from Oviedo on 1st October. I know that at best I will only make it to Leon in the time I have for walking (18 days, and I would like a day in Leon before travelling home). I am now minded to fly back to London from Madrid as it seems easier to get to from Leon. Am I wrong, or is there nothing in it, or does Madrid offer me the easiest route home?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Asturias (Oviedo) Airport OVD
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Asturias/en/

ALSA has buses every two hours from Leon to Asturias Airport (entered so) usually involving a transfer at Oviedo. Time is 3 - 4 hours depending on schedule.

ALSA from Leon to Madrid Airport takes 4 - 5 hours. There is frequent service to Madrid (and usually less than 4 hours) but not all buses go to airport. You'd still have to take the Metro or Cercanias from Estacion Sur or Metro from Moncloa to the Airport.

There is frequent Renfe train service from Leon to Oviedo, however Oviedo is quite a distance from Asturias Airport. You would still need to catch the bus in Oviedo.

Renfe time to travel from Leon to Madrid is 3 - 4 hours. You'd still need to get from train station to Airport using Cercanias or Metro.

I'd say the deciding factor would be cost and convenience of the flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would stick with your Oviedo plan. Several trains and more frequent ALSA buses daily from Leon to Oviedo. A fairly short and inexpensive journey. Also Oviedo is a very pleasant town and the fabada and cider are well worth sampling.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Bill, both are good options. However, it would be worth taking some time to see how the bus and train times line up with with your potential flight departure times.

I looked at both options recently when deciding on our travel arrangements for the Del Salvador/Primitivo. Travelling to Leon via Madrid rather than Oviedo worked better for us, especially since some of the fast trains between Madrid and Leon take just 2 hours and 15 minutes. But I was also influenced by the fact that we didn't have the option of a direct flight from Ireland to Oviedo.

If you can change your flight without any penalty, Madrid might give you more flexibility - especially if you don't make it all the way to Leon. You can, for example get a train from Sahagun to Madrid.

But to be honest, the difference between the two options isn't really a big deal. As @whariwharangi said, the cost and convenience of the flight is probably the main deciding factor.

Buen Camino!

My sincere thanks for all this great information and advice.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back