• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easiest one week for Camino for elders?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022 Frances September 2023 Portuguese
I just finished the Camino Frances from SJPP, and after hearing me rave about it, my 2 older sisters who aren't all that adventurous or athletic would love to do a one week Camino, which I would help them with. Which Camino would you suggest, with not many hard uphills and shorter distances between towns? I thought I would go back and do the Camino Portuguese next spring to check it out, as perhaps Tui on seems to be a favorite. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think they would likely enjoy the Sarria-Santiago stretch of the Camino Frances, as long as it isn't done in July or August. It has social contact, infrastructure, variety of accommodation, lots of Camino spirit, and is easy to plan custom stages of whatever length you want.

The Portuguese from Tui might also be good, but I haven't walked it so I can't say.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah, yes apparently. I confess that I'm a bicigrino and took the road, show I should be more wary.
that downhill was the worst part of the Camino for me...maybe I should phrase differently. Most difficult part of the Camino...it was extremely hard. Name another part of the Camino and it would be better than that downhill hike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How elderly and out of shape? I agree the section from Pamplona is lovely and easy. The downhill section is difficult if you have knee issues or are used to flat lands. I thought (over 60!) it wasn’t difficult at all. Just take it slow!! There are even benches for rests, as I recall. I loved that section. Personally, I would avoid Sarria to Santiago as it’s crowded and not as peaceful. Another lovely section is from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. Easy walking and fun to start with other beginners! It depends what they prefer!!

I just finished the Camino Frances from SJPP, and after hearing me rave about it, my 2 older sisters who aren't all that adventurous or athletic would love to do a one week Camino, which I would help them with. Which Camino would you suggest, with not many hard uphills and shorter distances between towns? I thought I would go back and do the Camino Portuguese next spring to check it out, as perhaps Tui on seems to be a favorite. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Do the Portuguese and have them take cabs whenever they are tired. Only do 10 miles a day. 15 miles is too much even if it is not hilly, too hot or raining.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For consideration I suggest the section from Sahagun to Astorga (105 km). Doesn’t have any gruelling sections in terms of ascent or descent. Many interesting towns and the cities of Leon and Astorga are fun places to explore. It is easy to get to Sahagun via train. There are many lodging options and the daily length can have many variations in terms of distance.

For consideration I suggest the section from Sahagun to Astorga (105 km). Doesn’t have any gruelling sections in terms of ascent or descent. Many interesting towns and the cities of Leon and Astorga are fun places to explore. It is easy to get to Sahagun via train. There are many lodging options and the daily length can have many variations in terms of distance.
I agree this is an easy stretch and if it is walked (I never have) I have heard the Meseta is quite lovely. I am a late fall early winter walker. The only. stretch that is pretty awful is that walk into Leon.

Sarria to Santiago. The one week Camino. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
that downhill was the worst part of the Camino for me...maybe I should phrase differently. Most difficult part of the Camino...it was extremely hard. Name another part of the Camino and it would be better than that downhill hike
Which downhill?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Absolutely would recommend Tuy to SdC. There is a long climb on day 2 O Porino to Redondela but otherwise it is pretty flat, well sign-posted and the albergues are great and staffed by really helpful people.

I found the climb to the Perdon to be steady and not particularly demanding with the views enough to buck up any flagging spirits. The problem with the descent was the surfaces. The big cobble size rocks are all loose and ready to roll an ankle (or worse!!)...it took so long to get down safely.

I found the climb to the Perdon to be steady and not particularly demanding with the views enough to buck up any flagging spirits. The problem with the descent was the surfaces. The big cobble size rocks are all loose and ready to roll an ankle (or worse!!)...it took so long to get down safely.
I did not say that descent was easy , to me at 72 ( May 2022) .. it was the climb up to the Alto de Perdon that took a toll on me , on my body .
depends on how you look at it …. glass half full/or half empty.
I dread every time I have to go down into the valley.. knowing well that I have to climb back up The mountain.
Buen Camino to all..
🇨🇦

Last edited:
Where is downhill hike from

If they want to do a Camino, ie to the cathedral, then I also suggest Sarria to Santiago, and plan it so that they can manage each day's walk. Doing over a week will allow you to spread out the distance, but they would still need to be capable of doing around 16km/10mi on average each day. The other options that I have walked are the CI, CP and to Muxia and Finisterre.

The CI had some short, steep sections when I walked, but has been re-aligned since, and I don't have personal experience with the new route.

Walking back from Finisterre through Muxia would be an option, but is less likely to have the social ambience of the CF, and accommodation would be more difficult to coordinate.

Walking in from Tui runs a close second to the CF in my view. There was ample accommodation to allow for shorter days, and there were enough other pilgrims to give it a similar ambience to the Sarria to Santiago section of the CF.

Alternatively, if your thoughts are to do a camino somewhere, and not a pilgrimage to the cathedral, then there are many choices, including picking a couple of iconic days along any of the major routes and moving onto somewhere else. I have seen couples undertaking such a journey, I suspect with the help of a travel company. I don't personally see this as a pilgrimage, but it might be the sort of walking holiday that works for your friends.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, yes apparently. I confess that I'm a bicigrino and took the road, show I should be more wary.
Did you take the NA-6056 along the ridge and then drop down the old NA-1110 to Basogaiz/Uterga?
Was the road very busy? I was tempted to recommend this as an alternative to a friend who wants to walk the CF next June and had heard horror stories about the drop down from Alto del Perdon (which I didn't find to be that bad and it has been cleaned up a lot over the past 20 years) but I've never walked it myself.

1665446041042.png

She's a bit worried about wandering off piste if there's nobody else about but I understand there are some markers along the way:

1665446273554.png

I have walked both CF and CP, and CP is my favourite. However, for a one week wak, I'd suggest Sarria to Santiago.

Tui is amazing, but the first day out of it goes to Porrino, which is very bleh and industrial, unless you take a variant through the woods (which I didn´t, so I can´t comment on it). Then the second day has the uphills. From there onwards, it is pretty amazing.

I would totally recommend the Portuguese for you (even more if you can start in Porto), but as you asked for the easiest route, my objective answer is Sarria.

Yes, we came down along the ridge to the N111 roundabout, then continued straight through Basongaiz to Puente. Did not divert to Uterga, so I can't really comment on that part. I certainly don't recall seeing walkers descending the ridge along the road. I imagine that this would be a tedious diversion, (as indeed it was on the bike). I'm intending next year to suffer the shorter haul up and down, - dismounted of course. I regret having missed the experience.
Did you take the NA-6056 along the ridge and then drop down the old NA-1110 to Basogaiz/Uterga?
Was the road very busy? I was tempted to recommend this as an alternative to a friend who wants to walk the CF next June and had heard horror stories about the drop down from Alto del Perdon (which I didn't find to be that bad and it has been cleaned up a lot over the past 20 years) but I've never walked it myself.

She's a bit worried about wandering off piste if there's nobody else about but I under

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No-one has recomnended the Camino Ingles, which is surprising. If they want more quiet than either the Frances or the Portugues, this is a good choice. The Invierno from Monforte is another (gorgeous) option, but it's much more strenuous than either the Frances or Ingles.

If they dont care about ending in Santiago, that would be the stretch I'd recommend walking. I like Leon, and Astorga, plus you get D'Orbigo as well - for a fairly easy non taxing walk.

There are so many beautiful sections of the CF, however, the section between Pamplona (taxi to Uterga) and Viana is especially memorable. We've walked it in spring, summer, and fall.
Late April/early May was magical.

View attachment 134567View attachment 134569View attachment 134570View attachment 134571View attachment 134572
Yes, after looking over my photos and notes and remembering what I can, this is one of my favorite stretches and not too hard. I had a most amazing experience at the Virgin Mary statue before Uterga, that would be a most wonderful place to start. And taxi there would be perfect.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you everyone for these very helpful suggestions! I am looking forward to going back and showing them how wonderful the Camino is. I am having withdrawal, I miss it so much. These forums help immensely!

Thank you everyone for these very helpful suggestions! I am looking forward to going back and showing them how wonderful the Camino is. I am having withdrawal, I miss it so much. These forums help immensely!
@JeanneClaire ,
you are not alone, I`m senior and complete my Camino CF , from SJPP , 4 months ago, and I can feel the Walk, the Camino in my blood, want to and wish can go back to CF and start somewhere again. Cheers and Buen Camino to all. 🇨🇦

Like so many pilgrims , I complete my camino ( CF) from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela , on 5th June 2022 , and being senior and not the athletic type , I will , if I can, .. do from Triacastela ,( like to spend extra day at the monastery in Samos ).
(I find the climb from Las HERRERIAS to the O CEBREIRO , was physically hard and very exhausting , and then long walk to Triacastela )
Or
from Sarria to Santiago, on that part even not so physically able can do the Walk , if not in one week then 10/12 days at slower pace.
Beautiful Camino Walk , just like so much other parts of the camino,
why rush if you have time and the will ?
Good Luck ,
Cheers and Buen camino.
🇨🇦

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I take a different approach to answering this question. I’d be asking the prospective walkers a few questions.
How far can you walk in a day? And can you do it again tomorrow? And the next day?
What most attracts you to the Camino? Is it the camaraderie or a particular type of scenery or architecture or history or gastronomy or a physical challenge or something entirely different? Do they want a compostela? Would they be willing to take a taxi? Would they like to carry their packs?
Then I would use this thread to see if it helps meet their desires.

If, for example, they are physically limited to walking no more than 10km a day and do not want to use a taxi, it would immediately rule out a number of suggestions (which helps them find their solution)

I'm 72, first timer, just about done with my slow 3-week trek from Pamplona to Burgos. My suggestion would be to not try to cover a lot of miles/km per day. I am doing only 7 to 12 km per day which is plenty for someone who's not a seasoned hiker, especially if there are any issues with feet, knees, hips, lungs. It's nice to not scramble out early early in the morning and arrive at a destination dog-tired. Logroño to Burgos is a nice segment, a couple of taxis if the elevation gains are too much.

A
I'm 72, first timer, just about done with my slow 3-week trek from Pamplona to Burgos. My suggestion would be to not try to cover a lot of miles/km per day. I am doing only 7 to 12 km per day which is plenty for someone who's not a seasoned hiker, especially if there are any issues with feet, knees, hips, lungs. It's nice to not scramble out early early in the morning and arrive at a destination dog-tired. Logroño to Burgos is a nice segment, a couple of taxis if the elevation gains are too much.
And some of the smaller towns are delightful! I'm staying tonight in Atapuerca (love it), the Palacio in Sansol is great, the wonderful Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca is great (I had a reservation elsewhere but loved dinner and breakfast there).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A

And some of the smaller towns are delightful! I'm staying tonight in Atapuerca (love it), the Palacio in Sansol is great, the wonderful Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca is great (I had a reservation elsewhere but loved dinner and breakfast there).
@ChrisGall
I walked from Belrado to Atapuerca and it was a long day , you are right about Atapuerca,.. the village smaller than small little village, with about half a dozen cafes/restaurants . I stayed at Casa Rural … , about 2 kms away from Age, the best room I had on the Camino,.. double bed ,private bathroom ………. Gosh .. even including .. bidet,… in the bathroom… 😂..
next day walked to Burgos,.. great city but nothing special the Albergue I stayed in for two nights.. lost my bifocal glasses , ( Tom Ford) what a night mare it was without glasses.. jeez… but .. i made it.. and then ..
it is nothing but memories.. only pleasant memories..
Cheers !
Buen Camino to all.
🇨🇦

I take a different approach to answering this question. I’d be asking the prospective walkers a few questions.
How far can you walk in a day? And can you do it again tomorrow? And the next day?
What most attracts you to the Camino? Is it the camaraderie or a particular type of scenery or architecture or history or gastronomy or a physical challenge or something entirely different? Do they want a compostela? Would they be willing to take a taxi? Would they like to carry their packs?

If, for example, they are physically limited to walking no more than 10km a day and do not want to use a taxi, it would immediately rule out a number of suggestions (which helps them find their solution)
So can you suggest a way that sticks to no more than 10km/day? Number of days flexible.

A

I stayed at all those places, and loved them. Yes those are definitely possibilities!

I can do that forCamino Francés as I have a document made up for my father-in-law. I can send it to you in a private message after dinner. Other Caminos you could look at yourself by going on to Gronze and seeing where there is accommodation.

If they want to do a Camino, ie to the cathedral, then I also suggest Sarria to Santiago, and plan it so that they can manage each day's walk. Doing over a week will allow you to spread out the distance, but they would still need to be capable of doing around 16km/10mi on average each day. The other options that I have walked are the CI, CP and to Muxia and Finisterre.

The CI had some short, steep sections when I walked, but has been re-aligned since, and I don't have personal experience with the new route.

Walking back from Finisterre through Muxia would be an option, but is less likely to have the social ambience of the CF, and accommodation would be more difficult to coordinate.

Walking in from Tui runs a close second to the CF in my view. There was ample accommodation to allow for shorter days, and there were enough other pilgrims to give it a similar ambience to the Sarria to Santiago section of the CF.

Alternatively, if your thoughts are to do a camino somewhere, and not a pilgrimage to the cathedral, then there are many choices, including picking a couple of iconic days along any of the major routes and moving onto somewhere else. I have seen couples undertaking such a journey, I suspect with the help of a travel company. I don't personally see this as a pilgrimage, but it might be the sort of walking holiday that works for your friends.
Thank you for this reply

I can only do 10km per day. Scenery yes, food not so much. Camaraderie definitely! Taxi’s yes, backpack no. Your thoughts?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, this applies to me.

So can you suggest a way that sticks to no more than 10km/day? Number of days flexible.
Can someone volunteer an answer here? I am going not for a walking holiday but for gratitude of giving me a second chance on life. I almost died two years ago. I want to go in gratitude and I have recovered my wellness Still I’m cautious and only want to do 10km/day. I do need transportation support for backpack, and accommodations reserved. CF or Tui to SC?

@drowdie apologies for the delay (we had a medical emergency in the family last night and this slipped my mind) Here's my spreadsheet for the slowest camino ever. Distances are taken from Gronze. Distance between places is written in the lefthand column, cumulative daily distance in the second column. Anything over 10 km is in orange text, and over 15 is in red. Of course, as with all the guidebooks, other stages could be walked - a little bit farther or not quite so much. Accommodations are available as at October 2022.
My original document has the table shaded into week long blocks, but that formatting has not carried across.
Hope this helps. By the way, your criteria @drowdie make me think the Camino Frances would work best for you. If you google some of the places along the way, you'll see what kind of scenery you might like.
day
Roncesvalles
6.56.5Espinal1
6.96.9Lintzoain2
88Zubiri3
5.5 Larassoana
3.79.2Zuriain4
6.86.8Trinidad de Arre5
4.44.4+Pamplona (Puente de La Magdalena)6
4.94.9+Cizur Menor7
11.911.9Uterga8
2.7 Muruzabal
1.8 or
Obanaos
via Ermita de Santa Maria Eunate detour
2.67.6Puente la Reina9
4.8 Maneru
2.77.5Cirauqui10
5.75.7Lorca11
8.48.4Estella12
8.8or
8.8Villamayor de Monjardin
via Monasterio de Irache
12.212.2Los Arcos14
7.67.6Torres del Rio15
10.410.4Viana16
9.69.6Logrono17
12.412.4Navarette18
1010Najera19
5.75.7Azofra20
9.29.2Ciruena21
5.85.8Santa Domingo de la Calzada22
6.56.5Granon23
3.9 (Redecilla del Camino)
1.6 Castildelgado
27.5Viloria del Rioja24
3.4 (Villamayor del Rio)
4.68Belorado25
4.8 Tosantos
1.96.7Villambistia26
1.6 (Espinosa del Camino)
3.65.2Villafranca Montes de Oca27
1212San Juan de Ortega28
3.6 Ages
2.56.1Atapuerca29
6.2 Cardenuela Riopico
28.2Orbaneja Riopico30
4.84.8Castanares31 $$
7.27.2Burgos via river route32
11.511.5Tardajos33
1.9 Rabe de las Calzadas
7.69.5Hornillos del Camino34
10.510.5Hontanas – easy walk35
5.6 Convento de San Anton
3.89.4Castrojeriz36
99Ermita de San Nicolas37
1.8 Itero de la Vega
8.210Boadilla del Camino38
5.7 Fromista (alongside canal to get here)
3.49.1Poblacion de Campos39
5.7 Vilarmentero de Campos
4.19.8Villalcazar de Sirga40
5.65.6Carrion de los Condes41
17.217.2Calzadilla dela Cueza - flat42
6.26.2Ledigos43
2.9 Terradillos de los Templarios
3.46.3Moratinos44
2.6 San Nicolas del Real Camino
6.99.5Sahagun45
5.25.2Calzada del Coto46
8.48.4Calzadilla de los Hermanillos47
55El Burgo Ranero48
1313Reliegos – perfectly flat49
5.95.9Mansilla de las Mulas50
6 Puente de Villarente
4.410.4Arcahueja51
8.18.1 Leon52
7.17.1La Virgen del Camino53
4.3 Valverde de la Virgen
1.55.8San Miguel del Camino54
7.57.5Villadangos del Paramo55
4.24.2San Martin del Camino56
7.27.2Hospital de Orbigo (impressive bridge)57
2.6 Villares de Orbigo
2.45Santibanez de Valdeiglesias58
7.97.9San Justo de la Vega59
3.63.6Astorga 60
6.76.7Castrillo de losPolvazares61
9.29.2Santa Catalina de Somoza62
4.14.1El Ganso63
6.96.9Rabanal del Camino64
5.65.6Foncebadon65
1.9 Cruz de Ferro (no albergue of course)
2.34.2Manjarin66
77El Acebo de San Miguel67
3.3 Riego de Ambros
4.67.9Molinaseca (nice for sketching)68
7.77.7Ponferrada69
9.79.7Camponaraya70
5.4 Carracedo del Monasterio (no albergue)
3.38.7Cacabelos71
8.88.8Villafranca del Bierzo (7.8 by road)72
5.1 Pereje
4.59.6Trabadelo73
3.9 La Portela de Valcarce
1.1 Ambasmestas
1.76.7Vega de Valcarce74
2.1 Ruitelan
1.5 Las Herrerias
3.46.8La Faba75
2.3 Laguna de Castilla
2.44.7O Cebreiro76
3.3 Linares
2.45.7Hospital de Condesa77
2.8 Alto de Poio
3.36.1Fonfria78
5.4 Fillobal
3.69Triacastela 79
4 Lusio
6.210.2Samos80
1111San Mamede81
3.83.8Sarria82
3.6 Vilei Barbadelo
0.6 O Mosteiro Barbadelo
3.17.3Molino de Marzan83
4.6 Morgade
1 Ferreiros
1.16.7A Pena84
2.9 Mercadoiro
5.38.2Portomarin85
7.9 Gonzar
1.39.2Castromaior86
2.3 Hospital da Cruz
1.5 Ventas da Naron
3.2 Ligonde
0.97.9Airexe87
7.713.3Palas de Rei88
4.4 Ponte Campana
1.25.6Casanova89
8.88.8Melide 90
5.6 Boente
2.37.9Fraga Alta91
6.26.2Arzua92
4.94.9As Quintas93
2.6 A Calle de Ferreiros
3.86.4Salceda94
4.6 Santa Irene
1.8 A Rua
1.68O Pedrouzo95
9.59.5Lavacolla96
5.55.5Monte de Gozo97
4.44.4Santiago98

just in case it's helpful, here's the plan we came up with when Grandpa was able to walk 15km a day (of course it would have been subject to being thrown out the window if we had made it to walk, but it showed the theory was possible) The brackets denote places that were of no special interest in terms of sketching, but would provide a bed after sketching elsewhere during the day. So ignore them!

Saint Jean
11.411.4Valcarlos1
1212Roncesvalles2
6.56.5Espinal3
14.914.9Zubiri4
5.3Larassoana
3.79Zuriain5
6.8Zabaldika (off route) OR
Huarte (off route) OR
Trinidad de Arre
4.44.4+Pamplona (Puente de La Magdalena)7
4.94.9+Cizur Menor8
11.9(Uterga)
2.714.6Muruzabal9
1.8 or
Obanaos
2.67.6Puente la Reina10
4.8Maneru
2.7Cirauqui
5.713.2Lorca11
8.48.4Estella12
8.8or
9.1Villamayor de Monjardin
via Monasterio de Irache
12.212.2Los Arcos14
7.67.6Torres del Rio15
10.410.4Viana16
9.69.6Logrono17
12.412.4Navarette18
1010Najera19
5.7 Azofra
9.214.9Ciruena20
5.8Santa Domingo de la Calzada
6.512.3Granon21
3.9(Redecilla del Camino)
1.6Castildelgado
2Viloria del Rioja
3.4(Villamayor del Rio)
4.615.5Belorado22
4.8Tosantos
1.9Villambistia
1.6(Espinosa del Camino)
3.611.9Villafranca Montes de Oca23
1212San Juan de Ortega24
3.6Ages
2.5Atapuerca
6.2 Cardenuela Riopico
214.3(Orbaneja Riopico)25
1212+Burgos via river route26
11.5(Tardajos)
1.913.4Rabe de las Calzadas27
7.67.6(Hornillos del Camino)28
10.510.5Hontanas – easy walk29
5.6Convento de San Anton
3.89.4Castrojeriz30
99Ermita de San Nicolas31
1.8(Itero de la Vega)
8.2Boadilla del Camino
5.715.7Fromista (alongside canal to get here)32
3.4Poblacion de Campos
5.7Vilarmentero de Campos
4.113.2Villalcazar de Sirga33
5.65.6Carrion de los Condes34
17.217.2Calzadilla dela Cueza35
6.2Ledigos
2.9Terradillos de los Templarios
3.412.5Moratinos36
2.6San Nicolas del Real Camino
6.99.5Sahagun37
10.310.3Bercianos del Real Camino38
7.47.4El Burgo Ranero39
1313(Reliegos)40
5.9Mansilla de las Mulas
6(11.9)(Puente de Villarente)
4.4(16.3)(Arcahueja)41
8.18.1 (12.5)Leon42
7.1La Virgen del Camino
4.311.4Valverde de la Virgen43
9(Villadangos del Paramo)
4.213.2San Martin del Camino44
7.27.2Hospital de Orbigo (impressive bridge)45
2.6(Villares de Orbigo)
2.4(Santibanez de Valdeiglesias)
11.515.3Astorga 46
9.2Santa Catalina de Somoza
4.113.3El Ganso47
6.9Rabanal del Camino
5.612.5Foncebadon48
1.9Cruz de Ferro (no albergue of course)
2.3Manjarin
7El Acebo de San Miguel
3.313.5Riego de Ambros49
4.6Molinaseca (nice for sketching)
7.712.3Ponferrada50
9.79.7Camponaraya51
5.4Carracedo del Monasterio (no albergue)
3.38.7Cacabelos52
8.88.8Villafranca del Bierzo (7.8 by road)53
5.1Pereje
4.59.6Trabadelo54
3.9La Portela de Valcarce
1.1Ambasmestas
1.7Vega de Valcarce
2.1Ruitelan
1.510.3Las Herrerias55
3.4La Faba
2.3Laguna de Castilla
2.48.1O Cebreiro56
3.3(Linares)
2.4(Hospital de Condesa)
2.88.5Alto de Poio 57
3.3Fonfria
5.4Fillobal
3.612.3Triacastela 58
4(Lusio)
6.210.2Samos59
14.814.8Sarria60
3.6(Vilei Barbadelo)
0.6(O Mosteiro Barbadelo)
3.1(Molino de Marzan)
4.6(Morgade)
1 Ferreiros
1.114(A Pena)61
2.9(Mercadoiro)
5.38.2Portomarin62
7.9(Gonzar)
1.3(Castromaior)
2.311.5(Hospital da Cruz)63
1.5Ventas da Naron
3.2Ligonde
0.9Airexe
7.713.3Palas de Rei64
4.4(Ponte Campana)
1.2(Casanova)
8.814.4Melide 65
14.114.1Arzua66
11.311.3(Salceda)67
4.6Santa Irene
3.48O Pedrouzo68
1515Monte de Gozo69
4.44.4Santiago70

A

I stayed at all those places, and loved them. Yes those are definitely possibilities
just in case it's helpful, here's the plan we came up with when Grandpa was able to walk 15km a day (of course it would have been subject to being thrown out the window if we had made it to walk, but it showed the theory was possible) The brackets denote places that were of no special interest in terms of sketching, but would provide a bed after sketching elsewhere during the day. So ignore them!

Saint Jean
11.411.4Valcarlos1
1212Roncesvalles2
6.56.5Espinal3
14.914.9Zubiri4
5.3Larassoana
3.79Zuriain5
6.8Zabaldika (off route) OR
Huarte (off route) OR
Trinidad de Arre
4.44.4+Pamplona (Puente de La Magdalena)7
4.94.9+Cizur Menor8
11.9(Uterga)
2.714.6Muruzabal9
1.8 or
Obanaos
2.67.6Puente la Reina10
4.8Maneru
2.7Cirauqui
5.713.2Lorca11
8.48.4Estella12
8.8or
9.1Villamayor de Monjardin
via Monasterio de Irache
12.212.2Los Arcos14
7.67.6Torres del Rio15
10.410.4Viana16
9.69.6Logrono17
12.412.4Navarette18
1010Najera19
5.7Azofra
9.214.9Ciruena20
5.8Santa Domingo de la Calzada
6.512.3Granon21
3.9(Redecilla del Camino)
1.6Castildelgado
2Viloria del Rioja
3.4(Villamayor del Rio)
4.615.5Belorado22
4.8Tosantos
1.9Villambistia
1.6(Espinosa del Camino)
3.611.9Villafranca Montes de Oca23
1212San Juan de Ortega24
3.6Ages
2.5Atapuerca
6.2Cardenuela Riopico
214.3(Orbaneja Riopico)25
1212+Burgos via river route26
11.5(Tardajos)
1.913.4Rabe de las Calzadas27
7.67.6(Hornillos del Camino)28
10.510.5Hontanas – easy walk29
5.6Convento de San Anton
3.89.4Castrojeriz30
99Ermita de San Nicolas31
1.8(Itero de la Vega)
8.2Boadilla del Camino
5.715.7Fromista (alongside canal to get here)32
3.4Poblacion de Campos
5.7Vilarmentero de Campos
4.113.2Villalcazar de Sirga33
5.65.6Carrion de los Condes34
17.217.2Calzadilla dela Cueza35
6.2Ledigos
2.9Terradillos de los Templarios
3.412.5Moratinos36
2.6San Nicolas del Real Camino
6.99.5Sahagun37
10.310.3Bercianos del Real Camino38
7.47.4El Burgo Ranero39
1313(Reliegos)40
5.9Mansilla de las Mulas
6(11.9)(Puente de Villarente)
4.4(16.3)(Arcahueja)41
8.18.1 (12.5)Leon42
7.1La Virgen del Camino
4.311.4Valverde de la Virgen43
9(Villadangos del Paramo)
4.213.2San Martin del Camino44
7.27.2Hospital de Orbigo (impressive bridge)45
2.6(Villares de Orbigo)
2.4(Santibanez de Valdeiglesias)
11.515.3Astorga 46
9.2Santa Catalina de Somoza
4.113.3El Ganso47
6.9Rabanal del Camino
5.612.5Foncebadon48
1.9Cruz de Ferro (no albergue of course)
2.3Manjarin
7El Acebo de San Miguel
3.313.5Riego de Ambros49
4.6Molinaseca (nice for sketching)
7.712.3Ponferrada50
9.79.7Camponaraya51
5.4Carracedo del Monasterio (no albergue)
3.38.7Cacabelos52
8.88.8Villafranca del Bierzo (7.8 by road)53
5.1Pereje
4.59.6Trabadelo54
3.9La Portela de Valcarce
1.1Ambasmestas
1.7Vega de Valcarce
2.1Ruitelan
1.510.3Las Herrerias55
3.4La Faba
2.3Laguna de Castilla
2.48.1O Cebreiro56
3.3(Linares)
2.4(Hospital de Condesa)
2.88.5Alto de Poio 57
3.3Fonfria
5.4Fillobal
3.612.3Triacastela 58
4(Lusio)
6.210.2Samos59
14.814.8Sarria60
3.6(Vilei Barbadelo)
0.6(O Mosteiro Barbadelo)
3.1(Molino de Marzan)
4.6(Morgade)
1Ferreiros
1.114(A Pena)61
2.9(Mercadoiro)
5.38.2Portomarin62
7.9(Gonzar)
1.3(Castromaior)
2.311.5(Hospital da Cruz)63
1.5Ventas da Naron
3.2Ligonde
0.9Airexe
7.713.3Palas de Rei64
4.4(Ponte Campana)
1.2(Casanova)
8.814.4Melide 65
14.114.1Arzua66
11.311.3(Salceda)67
4.6Santa Irene
3.48O Pedrouzo68
1515Monte de Gozo69
4.44.4Santiago70
Thank you very much for sending these, I remember walking through all these towns, but this is so helpful to have the mileage, I can definitely plan it now!

I like to know what the possibilities are for where to stop and then see how things are panning out on any given day once we hit the ground.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So can you suggest a way that sticks to no more than 10km/day?
Yes, it has been suggested - the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago.
this is so helpful to have the mileage, I can definitely plan it now!
Any guidebook or app will show these distances, or you can use the planning tool at godesalco.com. You will need to enter the starting point of Sarria, and the end point of Santiago, and you will get all of the towns in between the two, showing the distances.

my 2 older sisters who aren't all that adventurous or athletic
Personally - I don't think that you have to be adventurous or athletic to do any Camino. Just be in "reasonable" health and motivated. (And what is "reasonable" health can be interpreted differently by many). Do they do any sort of physical activity regularly? Even just taking walks? I suggest getting them to walk regularly (or more regularly) and increasing distances - to see if they even like walking before planning a Camino.

That said - Norte and Primitivo have a LOT of hills - so while beautiful - I don't recommend for a first timer who is older and may have knee issues. Also - towns are too far apart and there is less infrastructure.

Sounds like they may be interested in the Sarria to Santiago segment of the Frances. I usually don't recommend this segment - but it has tons of infrastructure, isn't very difficult, and there are frequent towns to stop in along the way.

I am not sure about other routes. I believe their are some easier segments with infrastructure on the Portuguese.

Yes, it has been suggested - the Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago.

Any guidebook or app will show these distances, or you can use the planning tool at godesalco.com. You will need to enter the starting point of Sarria, and the end point of Santiago, and you will get all of the towns in between the two, showing the distances.
Camino Ninja app also shows the towns in between two towns AND shows the uphill and downhill elevations graphically. More important than the distances for me!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Ninja app also shows the towns in between two towns AND shows the uphill and downhill elevations graphically. More important than the distances for me!
It has been reported that Camino Ninja cannot be downloaded since the gentleman who ran it passed away. I think it is still useable (but not updated since his passing) for those of us who already have the app - but new soon to be pilgrims may not be able to access it. I can't confirm this as I already have it on my phone and don't want to delete and not be able to reinstall. But I have read this from many people recently - so I am assuming it is true until/unless someone is able to take control over the app to keep it going.

It has been reported that Camino Ninja cannot be downloaded since the gentleman who ran it passed away. I think it is still useable (but not updated since his passing) for those of us who already have the app - but new soon to be pilgrims may not be able to access it. I can't confirm this as I already have it on my phone and don't want to delete and not be able to reinstall. But I have read this from many people recently - so I am assuming it is true until/unless someone is able to take control over the app to keep it going.
You are correct. Camino Ninja is no longer available from the Google Play Store.

No-one has recomnended the Camino Ingles, which is surprising. If they want more quiet than either the Frances or the Portugues, this is a good choice. The Invierno from Monforte is another (gorgeous) option, but it's much more strenuous than either the Frances or Ingles.
I was considering the Invierno to do with a friend of mine that has some physical constraints...I'm curious as to what makes it more strenuous than the CF.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 134609

She's a bit worried about wandering off piste if there's nobody else about but I understand there are some markers along the way:
A couple weeks since you posted this, but since I walked, bicycled or drove on every single one of those roads and paths I thought I would chime in. Both those roads are not very steep and easy to walk. I didn’t see any markers. But those are two-lane roads and it’s not easy to wander off of them. The traffic was fast, but not too busy.

That said, it’s a lot of distance to avoid a quarter mile rocky downhill slope. I think as long as one wasn’t carrying a backpack and was not a handicapped walker, it would actually be easier to go slowly down the hill. And a lot quicker. And it’s quite a nice walk between the Alto de Perdon and Uterga, once you get to the base of the hill.

Last edited:
A

Where did you in Atapuerca? Walking there now and can’t find a good/helpful review for albergues in Agés or Atapuerca. Gracias!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where did you in Atapuerca? Walking there now and can’t find a good/helpful review for albergues in Agés or Atapuerca. Gracias!!!
A Google for Gronze Atapuerca should provide all the information you need. I wouldn’t worry about reviews. There’s not a lot of choice. I’ve always been happy with the municipal across from Como Sapiens (eat there!)

I stayed at Hotel Papasol in Atapuerca. Charming old building updated with a few private rooms and bathrooms. 49€ for the night. Lovely woman who runs it. Very Nice dinner and breakfast. The town is next to an important prehistoric archeological dig, where the oldest human remains in Europe have been found. There’s a small museum and also guided tours of the site are available. I hope this answer isn’t too late for you — I’ve been home for a week now.

Never mind what the herd says. Walk into town and look around with your own eyes. Happy accidents and 'mistakes' can end up being the most memorable parts of the camino.
Indeed. One of the most memorable stops of any of my caminos was a very cold night in Ages!

Last edited:
My brother and I walked the Camino from Tui to Santiago in Sept 2019. It had a few steep spots, but overall, not too difficult. There are also lots of services along the way. Towns are not very far apart. We passed, and were passed by, lots of folks of all ages and fitness levels. The biggest issue we had was getting to Tui to start. But on the Camino, no problems.

My brother and I walked the Camino from Tui to Santiago in Sept 2019. It had a few steep spots, but overall, not too difficult. There are also lots of services along the way. Towns are not very far apart. We passed, and were passed by, lots of folks of all ages and fitness levels. The biggest issue we had was getting to Tui to start. But on the Camino, no problems.
How did you get to Tui? Did you go from Porto?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm 70. I completed my second Camino in June though left from Pamplona instead of St Jean. I loved it more than my first, used pack transfer a lot, suffered less, fewer lost toenails and blisters, more sightseeing along the way, met some terrific people and got back home to Canada dreaming of doing it all again. But to be honest I was most envious of the bikers this time, especially the electric bikers. So much so, I'm thinking why not? Why not try an e-bike Camino and this time focus on food, drink and satisfying more of my sightseeing curiosities. Any tips like shipping my bike? Have to ship battery separately? I didn't see refugios welcoming ebikers but the hotels I stayed in seemed to treat them like peregrinos. Am I right or wrong? I have a cold Canadian winter ahead but plenty of Camino memories to keep me warm.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back