• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easiest Physically Camino Route

Nana6

Time of past OR future Camino
France ( 2020)
For those of you veterans on this forum, What would you consider the physically easiest of the Camino Routes?
I listened to a podcast by a Camino tour company that said The Portuguese and Ingleses was the easiest but require 30km a day. ???? Doesn't sound that way to me.
What do you think?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How far do you want to walk?
Minimum of the requirement for the Compostela. Initially, the whole route to Santiago but I might have to do an easier route and wait for the whole CF

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ask yourself, how many miles a day do you think you're able to walk? Don't walk the Camino in the exact stages that the guides or 'other's' do it...break it up how YOU need to. The minimum for a Compostela is 'the last 100km' of any route. If you can only walk 10km a day (a little under 6.5 miles) then do that. If you can run 35km a day...WOW! Know what I mean? There are very likely going to be challenges no matter what any person plans/trains for. What are you most concerned with? Let us know so, we can better help. :)

Last edited:
@Nana6, your friends didn't succeed in scaring you off regarding 'sankes', did they? :confused:
Almost, lol. But No!
I would like to walk this Fall instead if next year. And perhaps come back next year for the CF
I have been training to get in shape but 30km a day is not doable for me right now.
Hoping by September to hit 15-18 km but if not will wait till I can.

Almost, lol. But No!
I would like to walk this Fall instead if next year. And perhaps come back next year for the CF
I have been training to get in shape but 30km a day is not doable for me right now.
Hoping by September to hit 15-18 km but if not will wait till I can.
Sorry, meant 15 miles

...I have been training to get in shape but 30km a day is not doable for me right now. Hoping by September to hit 15-18 km but if not will wait till I can.
Maybe you'll get to that goal. If not...Look, I'm in PDG (pretty darn good) physical shape. I walked my first Camino at 59 with no training which...I don't recommend. However, I KNEW that there was no way I wanted...WANTED, to do more than an average of 15km a day (I'm too social, like to take pix and smell the roses...with a nice glass of wine 😁 ). Learn and remember that Camino is not a race. Take time to figure out what you can do WITH a loaded backpack on. BTW, do you live in flat-as-kansas Texas or, do you have some hills? :p

Maybe you'll get to that goal. If not...Look, I'm in PDG (pretty darn good) physical shape. I walked my first Camino at 59 with no training which...I don't recommend. However, I KNEW that there was no way I wanted...WANTED, to do more than an average of 15km a day (I'm too social, like to take pix and smell the roses...with a nice glass of wine 😁 ). Learn and remember that Camino is not a race. Take time to figure out what you can do WITH a loaded backpack on. BTW, do you live in flat-as-kansas Texas or, do you have some hills? :p
Flat! I live in Spring, Texas ( Houston area) Gulf Coast Region
About an 1.5 hour drive there are hills. Mtns 6-8 hours away.
I am social too but sometimes quiet Would not like to walk totally alone but would enjoy the scenery and history. I am planning on researching which cities or villages I want to see or take side trips and plan accordingly.
I have the time but not unlimited finances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was just in Houston (Sugarland) for Easter Holy Week...freakin' FLAT! I'm used to the Southwest where, we have Mountains! :D

Look, do lots and lots of research. This Forum is a sometimes overwhelming plethora of information and always, AWESOME! It's YOUR life, YOUR dinero$, YOUR choice. You feel free to message me if you like. Apart from that, there is SO MUCH to learn and (honest to God) I can't think of a better place to learn than in this forum.

Finally I'll tell you this and, it's going to be deep so get ready! We know we only have one life and each day we awaken is another chance! Don't hesitate the opportunity to do a Camino...life is too short 😘

I was just in Houston (Sugarland) for Easter Holy Week...freakin' FLAT! I'm used to the Southwest where, we have Mountains! :D

Look, do lots and lots of research. This Forum is a sometimes overwhelming plethora of information and always, AWESOME! It's YOUR life, YOUR dinero$, YOUR choice. You feel free to message me if you like. Apart from that, there is SO MUCH to learn and (honest to God) I can't think of a better place to learn than in this forum.

Finally I'll tell you this and, it's going to be deep so get ready! We know we only have one life and each day we awaken is another chance! Don't hesitate the opportunity to do a Camino...life is too short 😘
True. Thanks for the advice

For those of you veterans on this forum, What would you consider the physically easiest of the Camino Routes?
I listened to a podcast by a Camino tour company that said The Portuguese and Ingleses was the easiest but require 30km a day. ???? Doesn't sound that way to me.
What do you think?
It depends a bit on what you mean by easy.
I live in a hilly place so I'm fine with hills. However I dont do well on hard surfaces for extended periods so I try to walk on gravel and dirt rather than concrete. (6 hours on concrete and my feet are screeching at me, 6 hours on gravel and my feet are fine )
For me hard is cobbles, concrete and tarmac, for others hard is hills. I also find heat hard, I can walk much easier in cool weather.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The last 100km of the Camino Frances, the Primitivo from Lugo, the Camino Ingles, the Portugues from Tui, or the route from Fisterra to Santiago are all fairly straightforward without any big physical challenges. Nothing within that last 100km to compare with crossing the Pyrenees or the big up-and-down from Rabanal to Molinaseca on the Camino Frances. And you certainly do not need to walk 30km stages on the Camino Ingles if you are happy to use private rooms rather than albergues. Walking the Primitivo from Lugo has one advantage or disadvantage depending on your viewpoint: you spend the first half of your walk in the relative quiet of the Primitivo but after Melide you are mixed in with the teeming masses of the Camino Frances and have access to its huge infrastructure of bars and albergues. Not my thing personally these days but perhaps you might want to experience it at least once for yourself?

It depends a bit on what you mean by easy.
I live in a hilly place so I'm fine with hills. However I dont do well on hard surfaces for extended periods so I try to walk on gravel and dirt rather than concrete. (6 hours on concrete and my feet are screeching at me, 6 hours on gravel and my feet are fine )
For me hard is cobbles, concrete and tarmac, for others hard is hills. I also find heat hard, I can walk much easier in cool weather.
I prefer cool weather but 70-80 F is ok
Concrete is hard. Haven't been in cobblestones. Regular trails are ok
Hills , not sure. Flat where I am or semi flat
The Portuguese, I was told is a lot of road unless you take the coastal. I haven't learned much about the coastal route and facilities along the path
The shorter routes of the CF like from Sarria or Leon are fine but I miss some of the history I want to see
Just thinking and asking opinions

The last 100km of the Camino Frances, the Primitivo from Lugo, the Camino Ingles, the Portugues from Tui, or the route from Fisterra to Santiago are all fairly straightforward without any big physical challenges. Nothing within that last 100km to compare with crossing the Pyrenees or the big up-and-down from Rabanal to Molinaseca on the Camino Frances. And you certainly do not need to walk 30km stages on the Camino Ingles if you are happy to use private rooms rather than albergues. Walking the Primitivo from Lugo has one advantage or disadvantage depending on your viewpoint: you spend the first half of your walk in the relative quiet of the Primitivo but after Melide you are mixed in with the teeming masses of the Camino Frances and have access to its huge infrastructure of bars and albergues. Not my thing personally these days but perhaps you might want to experience it at least once for yourself?
Thank you so much

In 2016 I busted my little toe (in flip flops of course...) bumping into the curb in SdC so I couldn't walk long stages and that's why I stayed in every available albergue on the Ingles. These were my stages:

1. Ferrol to Xubia (Albergue de Neda): 15,6km
2. to Pontedeume: 16,1
3. to Mino: 11,1
4. to Betanzos: 11,9
5. to Presedo: 14,1
6. to Hospital de Bruma: 16,3
7. to Sigueiro: 24,8 (a bit longer but pretty flat all the way)
8. to SdC: 17,3
(measured by Wikiloc from start in old port of Ferrol then from albergue to albergue and finally to Cathedral)

The tour operator is clearly making up those 30k stages you mentioned. Also if you're not on a budget and could afford private accommodation they can be even shorter.

Buen Camino!

In 2016 I busted my little toe (in flip flops of course...) bumping into the curb in SdC so I couldn't walk long stages and that's why I stayed in every available albergue on the Ingles. These were my stages:

1. Ferroll to Xubia (Albergue de Neda): 15,6km
2. to Pontedeume: 16,1
3. to Mino: 11,1
4. to Betanzos: 11,9
5. to Presedo: 14,1
6. to Hospital de Bruma: 16,3
7. to Sigueiro: 24,8 (a bit longer but pretty flat all the way)
8. to SdC: 17,3
(measured by Wikiloc from start in old port of Ferrol then from albergue to albergue and finally to Cathedral)

The tour operator is clearly making up those 30k stages you mentioned. Also if you're not on a budget and could afford private accommodation they can be even shorter.

Buen Camino!
Thank you for clarifying

I live in Kingwood so I’m close. Last year I walked almost every day to help prepare me for the CF. I went to the gym and got on the treadmill and racked it up to help build strength for the climbs I never were coming. I’m not young but pretty decent shape since I bike like crazy. Anyway I did the whole CF. No problem. I’m now on the central Portugués. It has a lot of hard surface with a mix of soft but not hills - not yet anyway - there a few coming up. It’s a short Camino (roughly 14 days). The country is gorgeous. Enough people to keep it interesting. So like other comments it depends on your criteria. Since we live in the same area I understand where you have to train. I think any choice you make will be a good one. Why don’t you join the Gulf coast Camino group in Houston? Everyone will help you. Good luck fellow Texan.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live in Kingwood so I’m close. Last year I walked almost every day to help prepare me for the CF. I went to the gym and got on the treadmill and racked it up to help build strength for the climbs I never were coming. I’m not young but pretty decent shape since I bike like crazy. Anyway I did the whole CF. No problem. I’m now on the central Portugués. It has a lot of hard surface with a mix of soft but not hills - not yet anyway - there a few coming up. It’s a short Camino (roughly 14 days). The country is gorgeous. Enough people to keep it interesting. So like other comments it depends on your criteria. Since we live in the same area I understand where you have to train. I think any choice you make will be a good one. Why don’t you join the Gulf coast Camino group in Houston? Everyone will help you. Good luck fellow Texan.
Thanks I didn't know there was a group. Thank very much. Buen Camino

Lots of variables to consider. Find your answers, adjust your training to fit the course and go enjoy your Camino..

Buen camino

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back