• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easiest Route into Portomarin

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
Wondering if someone can describe the easiest route into Portomarin for someone with dodgy knees. There are some posts from a few years back, have ther3 been any updates on what has been described as slippery and dangerous. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They are all about the same. After all, you have the same elevation to lose regardless of the approach to Portomarin. The final descent is a bit steeper than a route that was marked about three years ago. You can recreate that route by staying on the road after Vilacha, turning left when the signs tell you to turn right. It is only a bit longer and initially takes you to a very nice albergue before the bridge. Both are on pavement.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What Tincatinker said. I took the complementary route, which was quite clearly marked, after seeing the posted photos of the “normal” route. The elevation change is the same, but the route is not treacherous underfoot.
All the best,
Paul

From the top of the hill the route to the right is the best although there is a short steep downhill on pavement. I dont recommend you taking the Roman steps route one of my camino friends fell almost rolling off the cliff there and she said several others had difficulty.

Last edited:
Yesterday we walked from Sarria to Portomarin. When you you get close, there’s a T junction with opposing arrows. Take the left that is marked ‘Historico’. We then followed it and came to two signs, one for the road and a right turn across through a narrow path. We took this route because we saw two other pilgrims, and also because we didn’t know any better. I don’t know how old they were, but for us it was extremely risky for many reasons. We are in our sixties and have had joint replacements. We were trying to outwalk the rain which was starting and we thought it would be quicker. The rocks were huge and the path narrow and extremely steep. The rocks were wet. Fortunately we didn’t have on our ponchos because that would’ve added to the risk. There were some small sections that I could place my feet but Ian has big feet and he was more at risk. I said each man for himself, I’ll see you at the bottom .
I tried to attach a video but I’m having problems doing it.
My advice, take the road if you have dodgy knees

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have attached picture of board
Very informative. In a dozen descents into Portomarin, I have never seen that board, and am completely unaware of the "red" route. I am not masochistic enough to take it!! The road route to the left is the gentlest descent. The road route to the right is shortest.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From the top of the hill the route to the right is the best although there is a short steep downhill on pavement. I dont recommend you taking the Roman steps route one of my camino friends fell almost rolling off the cliff there and she said several others had difficulty.
Are the "Roman Steps" the pile of boulders on the western side? If so I heartily agree - avoid them at all cost especially when wet.

Are the "Roman Steps" the pile of boulders on the western side? If so I heartily agree - avoid them at all cost especially when wet.
My friend was a day or two ahead of me when she fell and I was greatful for the heads up. I am happy I avoided also. I think if it is raining and wet the steps would be really bad. The road walking was better on my knees except the last bit down the hill onto the main road...it was very steep.

Yes on the red route is the steps. I took the safe road lol I believe from the road sign above I remembered turning right walking down a bit then turning left to go down hill. The @peterbells map of the board is the one I remember seeing on the top of the hill .. I learned much in reading the Spanish maps o_O;)

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
There was a hold up at that rocky point when we walked it in 2016 . Many walkers were afraid to continue. Thankfully David a kind pilgrim waited and helped everyone to get through. This was on a fine, dry September day.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. By the “road route to the left” do you mean the green branch off of the red route? Is it easy to spot?
When you are on top of the hill. It is a wide open intersection looking out towards down hill turn right walk down the road then you will see that road is marked with a camino marker to turn left . After going down the hill. Go to the left to the main road which which crosses the bridge into Porto Marin. This is the sign at the bridge. On the other side of the bridge is the steps leading up under the archway into town. CF034AC0-16C7-474A-8B77-DDDA4F1EA3F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 2013F27F-9EEA-41BF-8741-911D0958E39D.jpeg
    2013F27F-9EEA-41BF-8741-911D0958E39D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 59AE3E52-064A-4934-B461-77EDE4117C47.jpeg
    59AE3E52-064A-4934-B461-77EDE4117C47.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • EA21A4EB-8425-4589-8E01-C9FAA6B676ED.jpeg
    EA21A4EB-8425-4589-8E01-C9FAA6B676ED.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 7F777C6F-BB43-4AF5-B2CD-64105B727EA8.jpeg
    7F777C6F-BB43-4AF5-B2CD-64105B727EA8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 76F5CD61-81B0-4619-8048-5F39C2F2A3B0.jpeg
    76F5CD61-81B0-4619-8048-5F39C2F2A3B0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 3EAA4A21-B328-47D4-8966-90F156BA20E9.jpeg
    3EAA4A21-B328-47D4-8966-90F156BA20E9.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,
Wondering if someone can describe the easiest route into Portomarin for someone with dodgy knees. There are some posts from a few years back, have ther3 been any updates on what has been described as slippery and dangerous. Thank you
My knees are a bit dodgy too, but I had no problems at all with the approach to Portomarin. It's nowhere near as hard on knees as the approach to Molinaseca a week's walking ago.

View attachment 47723
I have attached picture of board I took on Camino at junction in Sept which showed choices. I took hint and avoided red route. I went right and route OK, road walking but no cars.
I just want to say thank you to you for posting this photo with this clear information. There is a second information board, similar to this one, at the point where the red trail and the dotted trail split. I took the red trail recently in very wet weather and found it a lot less scary than imagined. I perceived it actually as very enjoyable and I would not hesitate to take it again. I wore proper shoes, had my backpack on my back and thankfully I had no walking poles with me that would get in my way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back