• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter 2013

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Easter comes early next year, March 31, I especially enjoy observing the Easter celebrations on the Camino but I try do so only after a few days of walking particularly if I can find a large village or a small town. March 25 coming out of Le Puy seems to be almost dead winter, very low temperatures and probably snow on the plateau, not something I especially enjoy or can prepare for, this end of Israel receives very little snow. Can anyone confirm if my assumptions are correct?
S

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your assumptions are correct. I struck snow in 2008 a couple of times walking mid-April from Le Puy, in both Montbonnet and at Les Faux before I reached the Aubrac Plateau. I struck bad weather over the Aubrac Plateau with heavy fog, and the day after I crossed there was snow on the Plateau. The following year I remember someone from the Forum wanted to start walking from Le Puy in the first week of April but was unable to because of the snowy conditions.

This year however, I crossed the Aubrac Plateau early May and the weather was very warm, close to 30C, and it was similarly hot in St Chely d'Aubrac. But apparently just two weeks before in St Chely there had been snow more than a foot deep.
Margaret

Thanks Margaret!
Global warming is working both ways summers are warmer and winters are weird. I am planning on celebrating our Passover in Lyon on the 26th then hot-footing it down to Lre Puy and starting off easy trying to reach Saugues for Easter. Is there a snow sled and husky rental service in Le Puy? Joking aside, may have to revise.

S

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in September both years, so I have no experience of the early spring weather situation, unfortunately.

If observing the local religious festivals is an important element of your trip planning, though (and certainly this is a big part of rural French culture), by all means go for it. Just plan to travel by train. Or perhaps you could walk the second half (Cahors to SJPP) first while you wait for the snow to melt. There is no rule that says you must play by 11th century rules here. It's perfectly acceptable to use modern transport to arrange your Chemin to meet your needs and interests.

I have never walked this route but do have experience walking in difficult winter conditions on the Camino Frances. Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards which later were press worthy; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts at >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aavmo.html and http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aafon.html. Luckily during both storms open albergues offered welcoming shelter.

Wherever and whenever you walk it is imperative that you can SEE THE PATH CLEARLY. When all is covered with snow this is impossible and hence the trail becomes extremely dangerous. Ice may lie beneath the snow. One misstep might cause a fall and if the trail follows the slope of a hill could lead to oblivion. Such a situation is made even worse by driving winds. One can not see. Walking from Rabanal del Camino towards Foncebadon in 2009 some pilgrims were completely disoriented by the fierce wind and erroneously thought west was north, etc.

Most pilgrims are aware that all walking surfaces are not identical. A pleasant path through the forest is not the same as a city sidewalk. Nor are our strides the same when crossing varied surfaces; you walk differently on ice and/or snow. Unless born a polar bear we need to learn how to correctly walk on snow.

Happy winter,

Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back