• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter 2018

Dog Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk 2018
I plan to do St James way next spring (2018). Easter is 1st April. Does it get too busy during that time? Would I be better off finishing before April?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please tell us where you plan to start and finish. There is generally snow in the mountains at that time of year, the Napoleon Route is closed and the French and Spanish pilgrims will take their Easter holiday walking to and from many of the larger cities. May and June are still spring-like on the Camino.

Thank you. I plan to walk from St Jean to Santiago (Camino Frances). After further research today I think I will start after Easter (5th April) and take 35 days. I have done many long distance walks in the UK but never walked abroad. Is April a 'good' walking month on the trail? In 2014 I took three months to walk Lands End to J O'G. Watching the change of seasons was one of the highlights of the walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would not miss the week before Easter with all its festivities. Also, lots of people come out and walk then, bit still not the mobs on transaltantic flights.

I plan to do St James way next spring (2018). Easter is 1st April. Does it get too busy during that time? Would I be better off finishing before April?
I walked my first Camino (the Frances) during April this year, and it was spectacular. During the two weeks around Easter (mid-April), I was on the meseta and in Burgos/León — popular Easter week destinations because of their spectacular cathedrals, and it was definitely a bit busier as local families and many Europeans were on holiday. But it was in no way problematic. The only semi-crowded section I encountered was the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago, well after Easter, but I understand that’s normal at most times of year. And even so, for my entire Camino I never needed to reserve a bed in advance, not even around Easter. I loved having the freedom to be spontaneous & not plan ahead.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you. I plan to walk from St Jean to Santiago (Camino Frances). After further research today I think I will start after Easter (5th April) and take 35 days. I have done many long distance walks in the UK but never walked abroad. Is April a 'good' walking month on the trail? In 2014 I took three months to walk Lands End to J O'G. Watching the change of seasons was one of the highlights of the walk.
I did it from May 29th in 35 days including two rest days...very doable and a lovely pace.

I'm with Anemone del Camino, I wouldn't miss Semana Santa and Easter on the Camino for anything! Route Napoleon closed? Start at Roncevalles! Too many pilgrims? Hunker down a couple of days in Pamplona or Estella or Logroño until the storm passes. Too cold? Pack your longjohns. It's a marvelous time to be a pilgrim.

Starting from SJPdP AFTER Easter and Easter Monday is fine. I hope you plan to stay an extra night at St. Jean to explore this very historic and very nice town. I usually spend two nights in a hotel there before starting out.

There will be a surge of pilgrims who departed SJPdP on Holy Thursday / Good Friday, as well as over the long weekend. However, they will be in front of you.

Plan to encounter ankle-deep snow at elevations higher than about 700 meters ASL. Plan on using the Valcarlos Route out of SJPdP, as the Napoleon Pass will likely still be closed by serious snow. Be sure to plan to wear layers of clothing, so you can adjust as climate conditions, and your conditioning dictate.

I usually start from SJPdP after Easter myself, but generally in the last week of April. Easter is very early in 2018. The trick to finding bed space and commercial accommodations in the Spring is to manage that surge of pilgrims. You want to keep this "pig in a python" either ahead of you or behind you by a day or two.

Also, consider staying "off-Brierely stage." Look at accommodation opportunities just before or slightly after the named stage. It is surprising how many people still do not do this. His 33 subjectively-named stopping points or stages have caused clumps of accommodation to be developed over the past decade or so. Most pilgrims stick to these stages. Knowing what the others are doing helps you to plan around it.

Try to arrange matters so you keep them either well in front of or well behind you as you walk across Spain. this will prevent finding "no room at the inn" and preclude having to engage in a bed race.

Also, try to avoid arriving at major nodal cities (Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada and Sarria) on Friday and Saturday nights. That is when just-beginning pilgrims typically arrive at their starting points, by bus or train. Typically, they stay overnight then start out the following morning (Saturday or Sunday).

In that vein, avoid O'Cebreiro on weekends as well. This is very popular tourist location, even not considering the Camino. There are never enough beds to go around, and only one Xunta albergue in town, at least once the season gets started.

Just chill and plan ahead. I usually use www.booking.com to book accommodations two to three days ahead of my planned line of march, then adjust as required. Gronze.com is another excellent online lodging and overall Camino resource. But it is only in Spanish.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Starting from SJPdP AFTER Easter and Easter Monday is fine. I hope you plan to stay an extra night at St. Jean to explore this very historic and very nice town. I usually spend two nights in a hotel there before starting out.

There will be a surge of pilgrims who departed SJPdP on Holy Thursday / Good Friday, as well as over the long weekend. However, they will be in front of you.

Plan to encounter ankle-deep snow at elevations higher than about 700 meters ASL. Plan on using the Valcarlos Route out of SJPdP, as the Napoleon Pass will likely still be closed by serious snow. Be sure to plan to wear layers of clothing, so you can adjust as climate conditions, and your conditioning dictate.

I usually start from SJPdP after Easter myself, but generally in the last week of April. Easter is very early in 2018. The trick to finding bed space and commercial accommodations in the Spring is to manage that surge of pilgrims. You want to keep this "pig in a python" either ahead of you or behind you by a day or two.

Also, consider staying "off-Brierely stage." Look at accommodation opportunities just before or slightly after the named stage. It is surprising how many people still do not do this. His 33 subjectively-named stopping points or stages have caused clumps of accommodation to be developed over the past decade or so. Most pilgrims stick to these stages. Knowing what the others are doing helps you to plan around it.

Try to arrange matters so you keep them either well in front of or well behind you as you walk across Spain. this will prevent finding "no room at the inn" and preclude having to engage in a bed race.

Also, try to avoid arriving at major nodal cities (Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada) on Friday and Saturday nights. That is when just-beginning pilgrims typically arrive at their starting points, by bus or train. Typically, they stay overnight then start out the following morning (Saturday or Sunday).

In that vein, avoid O'Cebreiro on weekends as well. This is very popular tourist location, even not considering the Camino. There are never enough beds to go around, and only one Xunta albergue in town, at least once the season gets started.

Just chill and plan ahead. I usually use www.booking.com to book accommodations two to three days ahead of my planned line of march, then adjust as required. Gronze.com is another excellent online lodging and overall Camino resource. But it is only in Spanish.

I hope this helps.

I did it from May 29th in 35 days including two rest days...very doable and a lovely pace.
MSzz
]I did it from May 29th in 35 days including two rest days...very doable and a lovely pace.[/QUOTE]
Good on you!! I have done 2 Cominos, and I see you have MS, I have Parkinsons and I hope it shows people diagnosed with such problems that it's not the end of your life, but the beginning of a new era of opportunity ! So Buen Camino and Carpe Deum

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
April is a good month but can be a bad month. I walked April 2016 and the weather over the Pyrenees was cold and windy. From Pamplona on, it got a bit hot so thinking the winter was well and truly over I sent my jacket and sleeping bag home. May in Carrion was absolutely freezing as was the weather at O Cebreiro. Basically, I got it all. March 2013 was pleasant if a bit wet. My son walked March 2012 and it never rained once that he can remember. The weather, unfortunately, is unpredictable so be prepared for cold and or hot. I am arriving St Jean 5th April myself but regardless of the weather, I wont send my sleeping bag home again :) Maybe we will meet on the trail pilgrim

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We walked into Santiago on Holy Thursday...The section between Sarria and Santiago was mobbed. THere were no rooms by late afternoon in the major towns...if you decide to go then...make reservations ahead of time!

MSzz
]I did it from May 29th in 35 days including two rest days...very doable and a lovely pace.
Good on you!! I have done 2 Cominos, and I see you have MS, I have Parkinsons and I hope it shows people diagnosed with such problems that it's not the end of your life, but the beginning of a new era of opportunity ! So Buen Camino and Carpe Deum[/QUOTE]
Always look forward my friend

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Exactly....my biggest prayer is to return. I thank God for giving me the amazing opportunity I had. I had a total right knee replacement 5 weeks ago, and am scheduled to have the other knee and both hips done ASAP. My injuries and joints have occurred by being crazy active and a little accident prone. My hips dislocated water skiing....a week after returning home from my Camino. Do I wish it didn’t happen ? Yes....when I’m up and going again will I slow down ? Not if I can help it. The greatest example I can give to my kids is to never give up or give in.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.