• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter 2020

Larky1888

Time of past OR future Camino
Easter 2020
Hi folks planning on walking over easter 2020 for a week starting in france , planning on doing it myself, a little nervous.
Any advise ? Easter busy ? Weather ?

Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi folks planning on walking over easter 2020 for a week starting in france , planning on doing it myself, a little nervous.
Any advise ? Easter busy ? Weather ?

Thanks
Easter week will be very busy. If you plan to do this, you should make reservations right away.

Easter week will be very busy. If you plan to do this, you should make reservations right away.
Thanks. Looking ar flying to birettz and after day 7 flying back to dublin from bilbo
. You recommend booking hostels before I go ivor ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes mate , 7 days , then fly back from bilbo . My last night should take me to a place called logorono I think

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From Bayonne you could walk to Pamplona on the Camino Baztan. Five days for that I think. It is less walked so you might avoid the Easter crowds.
My itinerary initially was looking like this
Holy thursday depart
Dublin to birettz airport
Airport shuttle to Bayonne Baion train station 30min
MontainTrain to St Jean 1.5 hours

Day 1- good friday 10th April
St jean to Roncesvalles
Trek 25.1km

Day 2
Roncesvalles to zubiri
Trek 21.9km

Day 3
Zubiri to pamplona
Trek 20.9 km

Day 4
Pamplona to Puente la reina
Trek 23.8 km

Day 5
Puente la Reina to estrella
Trek 21.9km

Day 6
Estrella to los arcos
Trek 21.5km

Day7 - Thursday
Los Arcos to logrono
Trek 27.8 km

Train from
Logrono to Bilbao
Friday
3 hours

Stay in Bilbo Friday night

Fly back sat 18th april
Bilbao to dublin airport

If you decide instead to do the Norte you could do these stages

Holy thursday - Dublin to Biarritz airport Bus/train to Irun ~ 1.5 hrs

Walk these 8 stages, ending in Bilbao

Screenshot_20191130-133046_Buen Camino.jpg
Saturday - fly home from Bilbao

If you decide instead to do the Norte you could do these stages

Holy thursday - Dublin to Biarritz airport Bus/train to Irun ~ 1.5 hrs

Walk these 8 stages, ending in Bilbao

View attachment 67214
Saturday - fly home from Bilbao
Thanks mate , as I say im a novice on all this . What would I get most out off ? What one would you recommend?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You’d be walking the CF at one of the busiest periods to be there, competing against international pilgrims, daywalkers, locals, etc for scarce housing - it’s doable, but perhaps not the experience you’re seeking? Even starting in Pamplona instead of St Jean would be more pleasant and you’ll see some amazing countryside and cities, plus it’s much easier to get there than SJPdP.

The other routes (Batzan, Aragones, Norte, Piemonte) will also have less crowds during that time period, though they also offer less services. I’d suggest you review past posts on these routes and consult bronze.com for stage by stage descriptions (use google chrome browser to automatically translate it from Spanish.).

We all want to help you, but thee are just too many variables to provide useful answers not knowing what you seek, your ease in traveling, and so on.

I suggested the Norte because the airports that you are planning to use line up so well to a week's walk on that Camino, saving you travel time to and from the Camino.
Things to consider are that it is more physically challenging than the Camino Frances - especially this stretch between Irun and Bilbao, with constant up and downs. And the pilgrim infrastructure isn't as well developed. But, it can be absolutely gorgeous as you are walking so close to the sea.

I suggested the Norte because the airports that you are planning to use line up so well to a week's walk on that Camino, saving you travel time to and from the Camino.
Things to consider are that it is more physically challenging than the Camino Frances - especially this stretch between Irun and Bilbao, with constant up and downs. And the pilgrim infrastructure isn't as well developed. But, it can be absolutely gorgeous as you are walking so close to the sea.
Sounds just what I'm after . I am pretty fit so would hope that would mean I will be able to handle this route . Thanks so much for your advice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I think i will go for the route you suggested mate, have a look , its doable and is it going to be easy to keep on track? Signposted etc ? I'm sure there will be others on this route at easter also ( I hope )

What you think this way ?
Norte

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191201-100144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191201-100144_Chrome.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 18
Yes definitely do part of Norte
It’s very beautiful and fewer people
Accomodation fine earlier on as you will be doing
Buen camino

Yes definitely do part of Norte
It’s very beautiful and fewer people
Accomodation fine earlier on as you will be doing
Buen camino
Been online looking ar acoomdation
Seems on this route theres not much cheap
Accommodation about ..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think i will go for the route you suggested mate, have a look , its doable and is it going to be easy to keep on track? Signposted etc ? I'm sure there will be others on this route at easter also ( I hope )

What you think this way ?
Norte
Yes, those are the typical stages for this section of the Norte. I only split the first stage in two as it seemed that you had an extra day to walk.
There are municipal albergues along the way that are less expensive. Check out the Gronze.com website I linked to above - it lists all of the albergues.
You will meet other pilgrims on this route, just not as many as on the Camino Frances.
The route is very well marked, and I also use the Buen Camino app to stay on course, get information about the towns and where to stay.

Yes, those are the typical stages for this section of the Norte. I only split the first stage in two as it seemed that you had an extra day to walk.
There are municipal albergues along the way that are less expensive. Check out the Gronze.com website I linked to above - it lists all of the albergues.
You will meet other pilgrims on this route, just not as many as on the Camino Frances.
The route is very well marked, and I also use the Buen Camino app to stay on course, get information about the towns and where to stay.

I really appreciate the help mare

I can help you with your itinerary from Dubln. Call me . Kevin Browne
You should edit your post to delete your phone number. This is a public forum, anyone can find your number here. Members can send private messages to exchange personal information.

My itinerary initially was looking like this
Holy thursday depart
Dublin to birettz airport
Airport shuttle to Bayonne Baion train station 30min
MontainTrain to St Jean 1.5 hours

Day 1- good friday 10th April
St jean to Roncesvalles
Trek 25.1km

Day 2
Roncesvalles to zubiri
Trek 21.9km

Day 3
Zubiri to pamplona
Trek 20.9 km

Day 4
Pamplona to Puente la reina
Trek 23.8 km

Day 5
Puente la Reina to estrella
Trek 21.9km

Day 6
Estrella to los arcos
Trek 21.5km

Day7 - Thursday
Los Arcos to logrono
Trek 27.8 km

Train from
Logrono to Bilbao
Friday
3 hours

Stay in Bilbo Friday night

Fly back sat 18th april
Bilbao to dublin airport
I’m doing a very similar thing only I start on 6/7th April. Just going as far as Estrella ( I think) then back to Bilbao on the 13th to fly back to UK. Heading back in July to restart in Astorga.

I’m doing a very similar thing only I start on 6/7th April. Just going as far as Estrella ( I think) then back to Bilbao on the 13th to fly back to UK. Heading back in July to restart in Astorga.
Do you know that you can arrange pick up and transfer from Biarritz Airport direct to St Jean Pied de Port with Express Bourricot (www.expressbourricot.com).

Hello Larky,

Last summer my husband and i walked from Iran to Bilbao, It was spectacular you will totally love it. I have just booked flights for the Easter, we’re coming from Edinburgh, I booked a flight to Bilbao and back from Santander. Book your flights quickly Easyjet and Ryanair both have sales on, I think they finish tomorrow.
Bon Camino 👣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.