• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter 2020

Cailin O Eire

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago Easter 2014
Hope to walk for 5 days from St Jean Pied De Port to wherever my feet bring me to first week of June 2016
Hello, I'm thinking of starting in St Jean on 6/7th of April, nothing booked it's a pipe dream at the moment and walking for maybe 8 or 9 days which will take in Good Friday, Easter Sunday etc, will all alberque be open over the Easter?

Also, will it be very busy at the start of the Camino Frances during April/Easter would I have to book ahead for accomodation or should I be okay?
Thanks for your time.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiked at Easter in 2019, staying at Roncevalles on Easter Sunday. Had zero issues with food and lodging leading up to that date and only Zubiri had issues with a lack of beds (which seems to be a regular issue there since the municipal closed). There were day-of beds available in SJPdP, Orisson, Roncevalles, and Pamplona.

While one can not predict the future, I’d walk it without a second thought.

Hello, I'm thinking of starting in St Jean on 6/7th of April, nothing booked it's a pipe dream at the moment and walking for maybe 8 or 9 days which will take in Good Friday, Easter Sunday etc, will all alberque be open over the Easter?

Also, will it be very busy at the start of the Camino Frances during April/Easter would I have to book ahead for accomodation or should I be okay?
Thanks for your time.
Buen Camino
I'm arriving into sjpdp on April 7th and starting on the 8th. I have booked accommodation in sjpdp, and Valcarlos but no further as I don't know where I'll be after 2 days with weather etc. I did part of the Camino Portugues last year over Easter and there was no problem with accommodation. So no plans to book in advance for Easter weekend.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm arriving into sjpdp on April 7th and starting on the 8th. I have booked accommodation in sjpdp, and Valcarlos but no further as I don't know where I'll be after 2 days with weather etc. I did part of the Camino Portugues last year over Easter and there was no problem with accommodation. So no plans to book in advance for Easter weekend.
Thank you for your feedback,I just need to decide if I'm doing this now or not 🤞🙏
Buen Camino

Hiked at Easter in 2019, staying at Roncevalles on Easter Sunday. Had zero issues with food and lodging leading up to that date and only Zubiri had issues with a lack of beds (which seems to be a regular issue there since the municipal closed). There were day-of beds available in SJPdP, Orisson, Roncevalles, and Pamplona.

While one can not predict the future, I’d walk it without a second thought.
Interesting about Zubiri, I must make note of that. Thank you, I feel less apprehensive and more like going for it 🤞🙏

The albergues will be open by then, and yes, it will be already busy-ish as many Spanish and other European pilgrims use their Easter holidays to walk at least a portion of the Camino. If you want to stay in Orrison, you should book ahead, also booking in Zubiri might be a good idea.
BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The pilgrim office in Santiago expects to be very busy around Easter but 800 kilometres away will be a very different matter.

I'm close to booking but have that fear that I will be walking and have no one in view, I recall walking from St Jean to Estella in June 2015 it was very busy, but I'm thinking St Jean to Najera in April perhaps I could be on my own at parts...the fear isnt of being on my own, but of encountering someone unsavoury and not be equipped to get away..
Sorry I feel daft saying it but the fear is there 🙈

You are unlikely to be on your own, esp if you team up with people who you'll inevitably meet at albergues. And as for the risk: when doing a Camino you are at the greatest danger when driving to the airport to take your flight to Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are unlikely to be on your own, esp if you team up with people who you'll inevitably meet at albergues. And as for the risk: when doing a Camino you are at the greatest danger when driving to the airport to take your flight to Spain.
This post by me didn't age well, not at all.....

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.