• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter Advice

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
As Easter is such a big holiday in Spain, I would like to know where, more or less in the area of Santo Domingo (can make adjustments) would be the place to park myself for a day or two and enjoy the festivities. Any thoughts on lodgings, towns, or festivals would be lovely.

Warm Aloha from Kauai, Hawaii

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As Easter is such a big holiday in Spain, I would like to know where, more or less in the area of Santo Domingo (can make adjustments) would be the place to park myself for a day or two and enjoy the festivities.
I would say Burgos. Although this is ahead of Santo Domingo de la Calzada by about 70 km. The main events are the processions through the streets. Be aware that it is not so much Easter Sunday but the whole week starting on Palm Sunday. High point is Good Friday. Very high demand for accommodation and much higher prices for hotel accommodation than usual. We had to resort to one of the few AirBnBs that were left. And then the most eagerly awaited procession got canceled because of rain and wind.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you’re booking for Semana Santa 22 shortly, there will be plenty of accommodation; but at ‘full’ price. If you leave it to nearer the time, or just turn up, it would be difficult.

IMHO Malaga is the best place for atmospheric Easter parades, but any big town will have something worth watching.

I would say Burgos. Although this is ahead of Santo Domingo de la Calzada by about 70 km. The main events are the processions through the streets. Be aware that it is not so much Easter Sunday but the whole week starting on Palm Sunday. High point is Good Friday. Very high demand for accommodation and much higher prices for hotel accommodation than usual. We had to resort to one of the few AirBnBs that were left. And then the most eagerly awaited procession got canceled because of rain and wind.

Mahalo Nui!

If you’re booking for Semana Santa 22 shortly, there will be plenty of accommodation; but at ‘full’ price. If you leave it to nearer the time, or just turn up, it would be difficult.

IMHO Malaga is the best place for atmospheric Easter parades, but any big town will have something worth watching.
Mahalo for your reply!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be in Spain for Semana Santa and have booked my lodging already.
I suggest you do the same, wherever you plan on landing.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You haven’t seen anything until you experience Hanukkah in 🇪🇸 :)✡️

Absolutely agree. Burgos at Easter 2018 was a highlight of my Camino. I had the great fortune to meet a pilgrim on the way from Burgos and we were out every night at the parades. He invited me to stay at his central city apartment and we had a ball.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.