• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter on Camino

Ruth Sensenig

Ruthinak
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2018
Hi, folks. I'm planning to spend two and a half months in Europe (middle of March through the end of May), and I'm toying with walking a section of Camino Frances. Does anyone have experience with being on Camino during Easter? I'm fascinated by what I've read about it, but I am also afraid the crowds might be a little overwhelming since this is my first Camino, although Easter is fairly early this year. What is your opinion? Would you avoid Easter if you had a choice, or plan around it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lucky you! I’d be there in the blink of an eye if I could. Was walking the CF during Semana Santa last year and it was brilliant. I loved the parades and the rituals and the happiness. There’s lots of street life and many oportunities to go to church. I think my favourite thing was walking with all the Spaniards who walk during Semana Santa. Sometimes accommodation was a bit tight but I always got a bed. Just plan to finish walking a bit earlier than usual during that week and you should be fine.
Buen camino.

There have been a couple of recent threads on this topic, which should help you. Enter "Easter" in the Search box at the top right of your screen.

I think it is a great time to be on the Camino, but you need to be aware that it could be difficult to find budget accommodation in the major cities during Easter week. That's a week I'd suggest booking accommodation a week or so in advance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Me! I've walked at Easter most years since I got the Camino bug...

The Frances will be a bit more crowded, especially with Spanish people, and particularly in the stretch from Sarria.

If you want SPANISH EASTER (Google Semana Santa and prepare to fall down the rabbit hole) rather than a Compostela, I'd plan to walk around Burgos. Most villages in that area have great celebrations.

Would you avoid Easter if you had a choice, or plan around it?
Walking the Camino during the Lent and arriving in Santiago in time for Easter seems a great idea to me (thanks for the suggestion, Ruth!). There will be crowds for sure - but then, practically every church is crowded during Easter!
I'll definitely save this idea for some time in the future when I might be able to get a vacation long enough to do it!

I think it is a GREAT time for walking the Camino. You will find a lot of Easter celebrations in many towns. I would try to avoid the section between Sarria and Santiago in the Easter days (from Monday before Easter to Monday after Easter). If you arrive to Sarria after Easter you won´t have any problem.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, folks. I'm planning to spend two and a half months in Europe (middle of March through the end of May), and I'm toying with walking a section of Camino Frances. Does anyone have experience with being on Camino during Easter? I'm fascinated by what I've read about it, but I am also afraid the crowds might be a little overwhelming since this is my first Camino, although Easter is fairly early this year. What is your opinion? Would you avoid Easter if you had a choice, or plan around it?

Hey Ruth! Easter is a wonderful time to do the Camino Frances for 2 reasons: 1.Weather is not too hot and paths are not as turistically-crowded as summer 2.Lots of pilgrims take time off to do the Camino for faith, so you'll get to meet really interesting and spiritually driven people.

There's also lots of easter celebrations and public holidays, so check the holidays calendar before you start to trip and make sure to plan ahead so you won't find everything closed - Spanish take their public holidays very seriously, meaning that NOTHING is opened, specially in small towns.

Same with the accommodation, since lots of Spanish are gonna take days off to travel around, check the hotels/hostels/albergues availability before starting the trip and maybe book in advance at the most touristic points.

Hi Ruth , feedback so far is very positive, my friend and I are hoping to do the Logrono to Burgos section, starting Easter monday, any suggestions?

2017 we were walking the last section Sarria to Santiago during Holy Week! It was quite crowded with many school and tour groups!I strongly urge you to make reservations for this section ahead of time. I heard a number of pilgrims calling into the various places we were staying at and heard them receiving the news that the places were completely full! One owner told us by 3pm that there was no availability in the whole town Pedrouza?
We were glad to have had reservations!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If possible, getting to Burgos by Saturday March 31st will give you a wonderful end to your walk. On Sunday morning, representatives of all the cofradias (= religious brotherhoods, but including women and kids) meet in front of the Cathedral in their colourful costumes (no, they're NOT KKK, the Spanish hooded cloaks are much older than those horrible upstarts!) and several cages of white doves are released to celebrate the risen Christ. It will be crowded, noisy and very, very different from all the sombre, dark celebrations you will have seen in the villages and towns before Burgos.

My final Easter tip: Talk to the tourist offices and get a list of where and when the next days' processions will be. The officials often tell you which ones they like best: "Oh, the one in X village is tiny, but they have a really old statue of Mary, and they decorate it with thousands of carnations!" The statues and the floats are often on display in churches on the route, even when you miss the processions, so try to open all the church doors you pass.

"?Hay proseción de Semana Santa? ?Cuando?" will get you far.

Last edited:
Will start my first El Camino (CF) during the Semana Santa week. Initially I was a bit nervous about my timing - now I am looking forward starting during the Easter week!! (but will miss my family)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back