• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter on the Camino

kacacc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
I will be walking the Camino on Easter and probably be in Logrono. Are there any special Easter celebrations in Logrono or anywhere on the camino? Is it a busy time of year?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always try to be on the Camino the week before Easter, great time to walkgood weather, Spring flowers vineyards coming back to life and there are indeed celebrations all Semna Santa. Logrono is nice enough; remember to pick your head up on the way out to see the amazing Mata Moros on the south portal of Iglesia Santiago El Real, on the right hand side. However, do consider starting from Puente La Reina, a much nicer village, several wonderful churches, the bridge of course which should not be missed and with some planning will put you into the hilltop village of Cirauqui, with a lovely albergure serving dinner while remaining open another hour to allow pilgrims to participate in an amazing Possession including the purple cloaked bearers and their hoods, the village virgins carrying the Virgin Mary float, and many other statues walking through the entire village stopping at predetermined spots for prayer and song-a wonderful experience.
S

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
PS Easter comes early this year, Navarra/Rioja are not freezing cold mid-March but it will be cold, even very cold so bring your longjohns or a good pair of thermals-Merino is my favorite.
S

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
scruffy1 said:
I always try to be on the Camino the week before Easter, great time to walkgood weather, Spring flowers vineyards coming back to life and there are indeed celebrations all Semna Santa. Logrono is nice enough; remember to pick your head up on the way out to see the amazing Mata Moros on the south portal of Iglesia Santiago El Real, on the right hand side. However, do consider starting from Puente La Reina, a much nicer village, several wonderful churches, the bridge of course which should not be missed and with some planning will put you into the hilltop village of Cirauqui, with a lovely albergure serving dinner while remaining open another hour to allow pilgrims to participate in an amazing Possession including the purple cloaked bearers and their hoods, the village virgins carrying the Virgin Mary float, and many other statues walking through the entire village stopping at predetermined spots for prayer and song-a wonderful experience.
S

I was planning on being in Puente La Reina on 27th March. I'll actually be in Lorgono on Easter Sunday March 31, 2013. It sounds like there are celebrations all week in every little town. Is this so? Is Lorgono too big and not the best place to be celebrating Easter? I certainly have time to rearrange.

The best place to be for Holy Week in Spain??? A very difficult and heart-rending question to even think about. There are many processions, masses, celebrations, and well, parties all week long-just a question of where. Seville is well known so is Cadiz and Cartagena but not really within walking distance, Smaller villages cannot really afford all the expense of several processions and the pasos floats especially in these difficult financial times. Bilbao has a very solemn affair on Holy Thursday and others as well, its the Basque genes I suppose. In Leon, Holy Week is marked almost daily and even includes a secular procession, called Entierro de San Genarín, the "Burial of Saint Genarín". In 1929 on Holy Thursday night, a poor alcoholic called Genaro Blanco was run over by the first rubbish truck in León. The procession consists of a march through the city bearing Orujo at the head of the procession; at the spot by the face of the city walls where the man was run over, cheese, a bottle of Orujo and two oranges are left in commemoration. However, as you noted, Leon is a very large city and not one I like. Astorga has a wonderful procession on Palm Sunday. The procession in Sahagun is also very good but I can't remember which day, the pasos are out on display long afterwards next to Iglesia San Lorenzo. So, you see it is difficult to plan and how does one decide to remain for the observance or to decide to move on. You can ask in the tourist info-should they have one – ask in every place you pass, the church or the bar next door, the ayuntamiento,the hostal may know something concerning the next stop, ask even the police as to what happens when and where they will know. Easter in Santiago is purportedly a very moving experience however I personally would not like to mix two such glorious experiences, the color and spirit of East with the final arrival in Santiago.
From Jerusalem

I think that most churches will have a special Mass on Holy Thursday, A service of prayer plus distribution of Holy Communion on Good Friday and a Vigil service late on holy Saturday followed by the first Mass of the Ressurrection. In Many places there will be processions etc.

It would be a very good idea to go to your own local church before you leave home and get a copy of the ceremonies for the three days in English which will make it easier for you to follow. In my own parish I know they will be delivered to the parish about three or four weeks before Easter. Your local priest will be delighted to give you a copy.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks all! Good information. If this site is any indication of how nice the people are on the Camino, I will certainly have a great experience.

I was in Tosantos for the Easter Vigil (Pascal Mass) this last year. The entire albergue was invited to attend this special Mass. The church was small and packed with what seemed like the entire village and pilgrims. The Mass was outstanding and certainly united the Germans, Americans, Spanish, French and other nations represented. At the end of Mass, everyone was invited to return to our albergue to enjoy soup, bread and chocolate... If possible, I would walk the Camino at Easter - enjoy the influx of Spanish students and teachers (they are on holiday) - and celebrate what we have in common

I have never been in Logrono during Easter week but wherever I have been there were processions and celebrations. There will also be larger crowds of Pilgrims during that period.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back