• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter on the Via de la Plata

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
I am seriously considering doing the Via de la Plata next year, possibly around Easter. Any suggestions on which places not to miss when? I am thinking of leaving 'some when' before Good Friday and experiencing Lent and Holy Week on the Camino. Suggestions? Tips? Thanks, SY

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
There is a private albergue in Dornelas (13 km past Silleda), run by an Italian couple who gave up their psychotherapy practices to open the albergue. They have twin girls who were about a year old when I saw them in September. They are very interesting, compassionate people, and she is an excellent cook. K1 recommended it to me, and I have been very glad I took his suggestion to stay there. The place was immaculate. Even if you don't spend the night, a stop there for a little conversation and refreshment would be worthwhile.

And the proprietors of the Hostal Ramos in Silleda went out of their way to take me to a neighboring village for a special Mass and band concert when I inquired about the possibility of hearing the Silleda Band (which is excellent). Their very beautiful daughter speaks fluent English.

Buen Camino!

Well it is good to hear of another pilgrim setting off in VdlP in easter. I am planning to leave seville on easter saturday. so look forward to seeing you on the route.
best Jeny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So flights are booked. 3rd February to Sevilla and 14th April back home from Oporto. Plenty of time and if I arrive "too early" in Santiago I can always walk to Finisterre/Muxia, go a few days earlier to Porto (never been there!) or even pester @natefaith in the pilgrims house, oops I mean volunteer to do the dishes in the pilgrims house or whatever is necessary. Very excited and counting the days until departure. Really feels like a first camino to me. Buen Camino, SY

PS Forgot to add: Thanks to whoever (sorry bad memory!) posted about flying from Oporto back. Got a cheaper flight that way and the time table is much more human (nor horribly early, nor long stops).

Enjoy every step and every stop of your camino.

go a few days earlier to Porto (never been there!)

I've never been there either but everyone I know that has been there (and not just the people from Porto that I know) agrees that it's nice city so surely it'll have its charm.

Thanks to whoever (sorry bad memory!) posted about flying from Oporto back.

Maybe it was me. I quoted that option yesterday on the thread Suggestions for best ways to return to US from Santiago? but I made it just to help people; not to be thanked for it.

Most likely that was the post that got locked into my memory/subconsciousness from where it re-surfaced this morning in the most appropriate moment. So, if you want it or not: Muchas Gracias por tu ayuda! SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's my vote for spending a few of those likely extra days in Porto. It is a beautiful city and you could even maybe squeeze in a trip up the Douro. The wine growing region is a UNESCO heritage site and it is very beautiful. Buen camino, SYates, happy to hear how your upcoming camino is all falling into place.

It is all falling so well into place, it is actually scary :confused: What have I forgotten? :eek: SY

Maybe nothing?
Perhaps we'll run into each other pestering Faith, and by then no doubt you'll have figured out what you forgot. I'd be curious to know what it could be at this point and after so many caminos!:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most likely some thing really stupid caused by a major 'duh, senior moment'. I already checked expire dates of health insurance and bank cards, so that is it not. SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's a good chance I will start in Salamanca at the beginning of March, with my sister in law. She is a first-timer and will have only one month of walking time. So we are thinking of walking from Salamanca (new to me) and deciding (when we are there) whether to take the route up to Astorga to get the Camino Frances experience as well. Does anyone have comments on that section?

@SYates - Perhaps we'll meet!

There's a good chance I will start in Salamanca at the beginning of March, with my sister in law. She is a first-timer and will have only one month of walking time. So we are thinking of walking from Salamanca (new to me) and deciding (when we are there) whether to take the route up to Astorga to get the Camino Frances experience as well. Does anyone have comments on that section?

@SYates - Perhaps we'll meet!
Hi, C clearly,

I've never walked from Zamora up to Astorga, but have walked the Sanabres several times and absolutely love it. I have heard that from Granja de Moreruela to Astorga is not the best the camino has to offer, but you might very well want your sister in law to experience some of the Frances.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have heard that from Granja de Moreruela to Astorga is not the best the camino has to offer, but you might very well want your sister in law to experience some of the Frances.
Thanks. We could also get the bus for that stretch and I was thinking we could go backwards from Astorga to Leon, by bus, and do the route back through Samos. I missed that turn off last year (haha! 2 months ago) and would like to do it. Then we could even walk the Invierno from Ponferrada. With these options, we might even wait until we land in Madrid to decide where the camino is calling from - Merida, Salamanca, Leon, etc. That is part of the fun!

We could also get the bus for that stretch and I was thinking we could go backwards from Astorga to Leon, by bus

If you don't want to walk all the way till Astorga, I would suggest to walk till Benavente (nice town) and take a bus from Benavente to León. You would see Astorga on your way from León to Santiago on the Camino Francés...

... You would see Astorga on your way from León to Santiago on the Camino Francés...

Lol, I think @C clearly knows that stretch of the Camino ;-)

Other questions, just after the divide is the bridge over the river Esla, which is most be simply stunning in spring see https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53972895504603203/ I would like to take the Sanabres to Santiago, but also would like to incorporate that stretch. Any ideas? SY

€46,-
Lol, I think @C clearly knows that stretch of the Camino ;-)

Surely but I was puzzled when she spoke about taking a bus to Astorga and another one from Astorga to LeĂłn so I thought it was necessary to make the comment that made you laugh. But maybe I didn't understand her properly and she didn't mean a bus to Astorga plus another one to LeĂłn?

Other questions, just after the divide is the bridge over the river Esla, which is most be simply stunning in spring see https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53972895504603203/ I would like to take the Sanabres to Santiago, but also would like to incorporate that stretch. Any ideas?

Easy. Walk on the VdlP till Benavente. Once in Benavente take the marked Camino to Santa Marta de Tera (considered part of the Sureste by many/most people) from where you can continue on the Sanabrés.

Thanks for the tip! And yes, regarding @C clearly 's post I think it was a classical case of a Canadian, a Spaniard and a German trying to process information in English and doing it slightly differently ;-) SY

You'll probably be right in front of us - leaving from Merida on February 18th. I'll be looking forward to seeing your signature in the albergue guest books...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might quickly catch up with me, I am the proverbial pilgrim snail ;-) See you on the way and Buen Camino, SY

If you don't want to walk all the way till Astorga, I would suggest to walk till Benavente (nice town) and take a bus from Benavente to León. You would see Astorga on your way from León to Santiago on the Camino Francés...
Thanks for your reply. When I wrote, I was thinking I could walk to Astorga from VDLP and on to Santiago as a "continuous" journey. But I would add in a little detour to Leon and back.

I am still playing with options and the idea to go by bus from Benavente to Leon is a good one.

I'm waiting to learn exactly how much time we'll have.

...So we are thinking of walking from Salamanca (new to me) and deciding (when we are there) whether to take the route up to Astorga to get the Camino Frances experience as well. Does anyone have comments on that section?

Hello, C clearly. Back in 2010 I hiked from Astorga to Fuenterroble de Salvatierra following the Camino in reverse. Much of the trail between Astorga and Zamora was on or parallel to tarmac roads. I found it flat and dull in comparison to the Camino Sanabres which turns left somewhere beyond Zamora and heads via Ourense to SdC .

Cheers

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
So flights are booked. 3rd February to Sevilla and 14th April back home from Oporto.
I will probably just be arriving in Santiago around the time you fly home. I'll be walking, likely from Merida from about March 6, so if you have a chance to post any reports from the camino, I'll be interested!

Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back