• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter processions

Babbie

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016/17)
Does anyone have suggestions of villages along the coastal route that will have procession’s in honor of the Easter holiday? I will be starting from Porto on April 6. I understand some villages have events on Friday night and some have for sessions on Sunday. Thanks for any input.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone have suggestions of villages along the coastal route that will have procession’s in honor of the Easter holiday? I will be starting from Porto on April 6. I understand some villages have events on Friday night and some have for sessions on Sunday. Thanks for any input.

Most villages and small towns most likely will have a procession though not always as grand and spectacular as in the bigger towns.
You will start from Porto on the 6th of April which is Maundy Thursday, so it is quite possible that you might stumble upon a procession or a local service.
Friday is Good Friday and in the afternoon you might be able to find a church where they celebrate the Stations of the Cross. Or the Stations of the cross might even be prayed in the centre of the town ( like I witnessed and participated in on a Good Friday in Belorado on the CF ).
The same for Holy Saturday and of course Easter Sunday will be full option of choice , even in small villages.

Let yourself be surprised when you find a celebration and observe the comunity spirit of these encounters.

You might also want to check the website of the local townhalls where you will stop to get an idea about the specific fesitivities.

Hre is a link to the celebrations this year in Povoa de Varzim.

Happy walking!

Last edited:
My wife and I arrive in Coimbra on Maundy Thursday. I am expecting to have to check with either the local tourist office or walk up to the cathedral to find out what is happening in the area

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back