• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter start

• Thread starter Deleted member 86885
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 86885

Well I just booked my first night in Orisson, which according to the website wasn't available until April 11, 2020. Then I booked the following night in Roncesvalles. Then realized it's Easter weekend! That should be a heck of a pilgrims mass :) Has anyone started on Easter before? I wanted to leave earlier but I like this idea and feel it is another one of those moments of the camino sort of guiding me in this direction, at this time, for some reason I have yet to learn. Have been waiting for years to do this and finally have the capacity. Very much called to it and feel I started this journey already when I decided to do it the minute I learned of it. The whole thing is magical and haven't even taken the first step! Anyway- still comparing flying from Paris to Biarritz or taking the train from Montparnasse station to St. Jean. Any comments welcome and if anyone else is going at that time feel free to say hi. Buen Camino my fellow pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well I just booked my first night in Orisson, which according to the website wasn't available until April 11, 2020. Then I booked the following night in Roncesvalles. Then realized it's Easter weekend! That should be a heck of a pilgrims mass :) Has anyone started on Easter before?
I’m planning to start about the same time. But I was worried that the pass wouldn’t be open, so I was shooting for the 15th as a start date. But I guess the alternate routes also go to both Orrison and Roncesvalles?

I’m actually flying into Madrid On April 1, 2020, (from New England) and had been trying to decide where to spend Easter. I was leaning towards the south west of Spain, but that’s a nice idea, to spend it on the Camino! I was worried that it would just be really crowded if I started on Easter weekend. And possibly really crowded all the way to Santiago because I would be in a crowd bubble (I read somewhere that Easter is a very popular time for Spaniards to do the Camino ). Hence, the April 15 start date. I’m really hoping someone posts about there experiences with an SJPP Easter start date.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
in 2017 i started in St Jean on Easter Saturday and had no problems whatsoever, accomodation etc. But all the shops and bars were closed on Sunday and Monday, so i was a little hungry....But it was my first Camino and shops and bars are often closed on Sundays anyway. that year Easter was around the middle of April. this year we start in St Jean on the 4th of April and hope to be in Logrono on Good Friday. i can't wait!

I’m planning to start about the same time. But I was worried that the pass wouldn’t be open, so I was shooting for the 15th as a start date. But I guess the alternate routes also go to both Orrison and Roncesvalles?

I’m actually flying into Madrid On April 1, 2020, (from New England) and had been trying to decide where to spend Easter. I was leaning towards the south west of Spain, but that’s a nice idea, to spend it on the Camino! I was worried that it would just be really crowded if I started on Easter weekend. And possibly really crowded all the way to Santiago because I would be in a crowd bubble (I read somewhere that Easter is a very popular time for Spaniards to do the Camino ). Hence, the April 15 start date. I’m really hoping someone posts about there experiences with an SJPP Easter start date.
Hi Stephan- I wanted to leave on the 1st too- and I bet Madrid will be awesome - but since I really wanted to get started asap (and will probably need) to stop in Orisson for the first night- April 11th it is! According to the Orisson website, if the route to Roncesvalles is impassible, they will drive us to the other starting point in Vancarlos(spelling?) I think that one does go to Roncesvalles.

Nonetheless, I think it would be cool to be among many Spaniards doing the Camino at that time. While I have spent a lot of time going over my pack and gear (since I am not young and have a fake hip and now knee trouble and really need to keep the weight down) otherwise I simply want to open myself up to the experience and what the "camino provides"... It's already provided arriving on Easter, which I would have never considered! Follow your heart and I welcome our paths crossing. I'm an artist too btw- this reminds me of the creative process- where you have an idea of what you want but while doing the work it can lead you on to different or new ideas that are better than the original! Buen camino Stephan :)

in 2017 i started in St Jean on Easter Saturday and had no problems whatsoever, accomodation etc. But all the shops and bars were closed on Sunday and Monday, so i was a little hungry....But it was my first Camino and shops and bars are often closed on Sundays anyway. that year Easter was around the middle of April. this year we start in St Jean on the 4th of April and hope to be in Logrono on Good Friday. i can't wait!
Thanks so much for your comment. I'll definitely stock up on food in my pack for those days. There will be water fountains though, right?

anyway- I'll probably be going pretty slow so doubt I'll see you if you are leaving so early in April, but wish for you all the best on your journey :) Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Stephan- I wanted to leave on the 1st too- and I bet Madrid will be awesome - but since I really wanted to get started asap (and will probably need) to stop in Orisson for the first night- April 11th it is! According to the Orisson website, if the route to Roncesvalles is impassible, they will drive us to the other starting point in Vancarlos(spelling?) I think that one does go to Roncesvalles.

Nonetheless, I think it would be cool to be among many Spaniards doing the Camino at that time. While I have spent a lot of time going over my pack and gear (since I am not young and have a fake hip and now knee trouble and really need to keep the weight down) otherwise I simply want to open myself up to the experience and what the "camino provides"... It's already provided arriving on Easter, which I would have never considered! Follow your heart and I welcome our paths crossing. I'm an artist too btw- this reminds me of the creative process- where you have an idea of what you want but while doing the work it can lead you on to different or new ideas that are better than the original! Buen camino Stephan :)
Good thoughts . April 1 was my leaving date because I’m subletting my apartment for three months. And my idea not to start on Easter because I was worried that the “race for the bed ” would make it a non-spontaneous experience, when what I most want is to have a spontaneous adventure and be surprised and not make any specific plans. But perhaps towards that end, I’m overthinking it, and I need to let serendipity take its roll.
Here’s to letting the Camino provide for both of us! I’ll keep my eyes open for you, Buen Camino!

Good thoughts . April 1 was my leaving date because I’m subletting my apartment for three months. And my idea not to start on Easter because I was worried that the “race for the bed ” would make it a non-spontaneous experience, when what I most want is to have a spontaneous adventure and be surprised and not make any specific plans. But perhaps towards that end, I’m overthinking it, and I need to let serendipity take its roll.
Here’s to letting the Camino provide for both of us! I’ll keep my eyes open for you, Buen Camino!
oh yes, i totally understand! i was just giving my own plan sort of bouncing off what you said. all the best to you and if you want - please let me know what you decide, stephan. i am so busy now but will have to sort out getting from cleveland to st jean some time later today. if anyone has any last comments on that let me know. i am actually leaning toward doing the train from monparnasse station in paris just so i can see the countryside of france along the way south. one way or the other i am sure we will have an incredible experience! here's a very sincere buen camino to you stephan!

oh yes, i totally understand! i was just giving my own plan sort of bouncing off what you said. all the best to you and if you want - please let me know what you decide, stephan. i am so busy now but will have to sort out getting from cleveland to st jean some time later today. if anyone has any last comments on that let me know. i am actually leaning toward doing the train from monparnasse station in paris just so i can see the countryside of france along the way south. one way or the other i am sure we will have an incredible experience! here's a very sincere buen camino to you stephan!
I vote for the train. Always. It’s so much more relaxing. and I think a nice transition from one reality to the next. I have taken the train once a long time ago from near Bayonne to Paris, no trouble. But then I hate flying.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I'm starting on the 3rd and aiming to be in Logrono on Easter Sunday, so may see you there.
I hadn't even considered Easter when I booked my flight, but I believe its something special in Spain and can't wait to be there for it

The alternate route doesn't go to Orrison, but it does go through Arneguy and Valcarlos. They both end up in Roncesvalles.

We started on 11 April last year, spent our first night at Orisson, then walked on to Roncesvalles the next day - snow had fallen at the top overnight so we we had 500 metres or so of snow to make our way through - all very magical. Semana Santa - Holy Week - starts the weekend before Easter so it we hit it right from the start of our walk as Easter was later last year. Knowing this we pre-booked through to Easter Monday before we left home. We were pleased we did this as many people had trouble finding beds - even the overflow at Roncesvalles filled early in the afternoons.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started on 11 April last year, spent our first night at Orisson, then walked on to Roncesvalles the next day - snow had fallen at the top overnight so we we had 500 metres or so of snow to make our way through - all very magical. Semana Santa - Holy Week - starts the weekend before Easter so it we hit it right from the start of our walk as Easter was later last year. Knowing this we pre-booked through to Easter Monday before we left home. We were pleased we did this as many people had trouble finding beds - even the overflow at Roncesvalles filled early in the afternoons.
thanks very much! maybe i will plan for the 3rd night after all! buen camino on all your walks!
Hiya, I'm leaving at the same time as you so, as you suggest, I'm saying "hi" now (especially because I'll only be grunting my greetings while going uphill!).
LOL - Thanks for letting me know, and Hello :) I'll be flying in to Paris then taking the train down. Staying right near the pilgrim's office the night before. I'll be another one reduced to grunts most likely on the walk up. See you soon!

Spent Easter Sunday at Roncevalles in 2019. While it was a nice mass, it seemed like an ordinary Sunday Mass and not the celebration I had anticipated.

I concur with booking through to Pamplona - Zubiri’s municipal was closed and a few later/arriving pilgrims had to stay outside of town. If you can, check out the church and Albergue at Zabaldika - a bit off the main track, but it’s actually on an earlier version of the Camino path.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Spent Easter Sunday at Roncevalles in 2019. While it was a nice mass, it seemed like an ordinary Sunday Mass and not the celebration I had anticipated.

I concur with booking through to Pamplona - Zubiri’s municipal was closed and a few later/arriving pilgrims had to stay outside of town. If you can, check out the church and Albergue at Zabaldika - a bit off the main track, but it’s actually on an earlier version of the Camino path.
thx very much! i will definitely check out Zabaldika! what do you think is the best app for on the fly booking? i really haven't got a clue how far i will be able to walk on any given day once i get started over there and would need to just book ahead that same day when i know how i am doing- just want to take it easy. any suggestions appreciated. thx!

In 2010 I arrived in Pamplona on Good Friday and Puenta la Reina on Easter Sunday. After Roncesvalles there were a lot of Spanish pilgrims using the Easter break to walk a section of the Camino. In retrospect, it was a wonderful, vibrant time. A few days later the crowds had thinned out and it became much quieter.

Yes, a couple of towns were crowded and there was difficulty finding accommodation but I never went without a bed, and met some lovely people in that first week.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well I just booked my first night in Orisson, which according to the website wasn't available until April 11, 2020. Then I booked the following night in Roncesvalles. Then realized it's Easter weekend! That should be a heck of a pilgrims mass :) Has anyone started on Easter before? I wanted to leave earlier but I like this idea and feel it is another one of those moments of the camino sort of guiding me in this direction, at this time, for some reason I have yet to learn. Have been waiting for years to do this and finally have the capacity. Very much called to it and feel I started this journey already when I decided to do it the minute I learned of it. The whole thing is magical and haven't even taken the first step! Anyway- still comparing flying from Paris to Biarritz or taking the train from Montparnasse station to St. Jean. Any comments welcome and if anyone else is going at that time feel free to say hi. Buen Camino my fellow pilgrims.
Hi. I am starting from SJPdP on Good Friday and have booked the first night in Roncesvalles and will probably book the next couple as well. I will be flying Paris to Bordeaux for a few days and then the train to SJPdP via Bayonne. May run into you along the way. Buen Camino.

What a great opportunity for the CGT to disrupt travel again in
France during the Easter break. Keep an eye on strikes.

A few days ago I sent an request for reservation and received a response acknowledging my request to reserve. I am hoping to stay the night of April 12 at Orrison. How long ago did you book and if it was recently, how long did it take for them to confirm the reservation. There was no place to put in the date I was looking to reserve. Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i got a confirmation of my request to book almost immediately on email (did it last week) but still no confirmation that i am really in- just a confirmation that i requested the spot. when i tried the reservation the first date available was april 11th so i just clicked on that. the system was a bit funky snd took me a couple times to make it work. i hope you can do it!

A few days ago I sent an request for reservation and received a response acknowledging my request to reserve. I am hoping to stay the night of April 12 at Orrison. How long ago did you book and if it was recently, how long did it take for them to confirm the reservation. There was no place to put in the date I was looking to reserve. Thanks

I did the same and also found it odd that there was no place to indicate the date I wanted to book. I have yet to receive anything by email from them though, so you are a step or two ahead of me.

well i guess if it falls thru we can always walk there and catch a bus back to st jean for the night and pick up walking to roncesvalles the next day? i am just planning to roll with whatever happens. will definitely keep an eye out for you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My experience is that with any type of adventure and travel of this type, it’s important to remain flexible and limit one’s expectations. As it will be the first day back on my feet after long flights and getting to SJPdP, I had thought of not pushing myself too hard on the first day. However, should there be no room at the inn, I’d probably consider trekking to Roncesvalles. Your Mileage May Vary.

My experience is that with any type of adventure and travel of this type, it’s important to remain flexible and limit one’s expectations. As it will be the first day back on my feet after long flights and getting to SJPdP, I had thought of not pushing myself too hard on the first day. However, should there be no room at the inn, I’d probably consider trekking to Roncesvalles. Your Mileage May Vary.
yeah- i will be cutting it pretty close on jet lag etc so may hold back but one way or the other we will do fantastic :) buen camino friend :)

From the reports I’ve come across, pilgrims on the Camino are said to be very helpful, generous, and look out for each other. I’m sure we’ll all be ok. It will be wise not to push too much in the initial stages. Our bodies and our minds will require some time to adjust.

€46,-
Hi Skyedog, I booked my travel commencing 3 days after Easter, expecting it to be maybe a little calmer, and plus, being a Catholic deacon, I'll be a little busy during Holy Week and Easter :). So, I'll be a few days behind you. I'm hoping to make it all the way to Roncesvalles on my first stage. As far as booking a room, I'm finding it a little daunting. I wanted a sure bet for the night of my first stage, since I know I'll be a jet-lagged zombie. Still working on the room. Any recommendations for Roncesvalles? It appears the Hotel Roncesvalles is closed for repairs? I'll also listen to the advice you got re booking as far ahead as Pamplona.
Re: travel from CDG to SJPP, the advice I got was various and sundry. Ultimately, I booked a flight from CDG to BIQ (Biarritz) and plan to take a bus from BIQ to Bayonne, only because my 21:00 arrival at BIQ is past the operating hours of the Express Bourricot shuttle to SJPD. I'll spend the night in Bayonne in a hotel near the train station and take the train to SJPP the next morning.
I totally get your description of feeling called to take this Camino, although my circumstances are quite different; in my case, dealing with grief on my wife's recent passing. I hope you find your Camino just as deeply significant as it promises to be. Buen Camino

hi- i am so sorry to hear of the passing of your wife. i am also dealing with the death of my parents who i took care of for the past 6 years, with my mom only passing last week from the final stages of alzheimer’s. i see the camino as a sort of passage into another phase of life, and the “coincidence” of accidentally starting on easter is so meaningful.
i am staying at the alburge in roncesvalles which i booked here: http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/. my money went thru so it will be open as far as i know! have you tried it? i was going to NOT bring my sleeping pad or sleeping quilt in lieu of just a liner, but have decided to add them back on to my packing list just in case i end up in a church doorway somewhere! i am not booking anything beyond roncesvalles and will see where the chips fall. i expect we’ll run into each other - all the best on your plans -buen camino.

Any recommendations for Roncesvalles? It appears the Hotel Roncesvalles is closed for repairs?

@Michael-FL can I ask where you heard that Hotel Roncesvalles is closed for repairs at that time? This is quite important as all accommodation in Roncesvalles can fill up at the peak times (like Easter), and losing a whole hotel would have a serious impact on other providers there and in towns "downstream".

As far as recommendations, I've stayed at Hotel Roncesvalles and also at La Posada de Roncesvalles, and found them both good. You can book La Posada directly through their website http://laposada.roncesvalles.es/.

I agree with others that booking as far as Pamplona is a good idea. The numbers should be slightly less the week after Easter than in Holy Week, but may still be busy.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your wife. Whatever you decide about accommodation, I hope your Camino provides the time you need to start healing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Skyedog, I laughed out loud at your sleeping in a church doorway imagery. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'm bringing a lightweight sleeping bag just in case in might be chilly. God love you for taking care of your parents. I lost my dear wife to Younger Onset Alzheimer's - 8 years as a caregiver, so trust me, I know what you've been through. I hope we run into each other - who knows. Buen Camino and Godspeed.

@Michael-FL can I ask where you heard that Hotel Roncesvalles is closed for repairs at that time? This is quite important as all accommodation in Roncesvalles can fill up at the peak times (like Easter), and losing a whole hotel would have a serious impact on other providers there and in towns "downstream".

As far as recommendations, I've stayed at Hotel Roncesvalles and also at La Posada de Roncesvalles, and found them both good. You can book La Posada directly through their website http://laposada.roncesvalles.es/.

I agree with others that booking as far as Pamplona is a good idea. The numbers should be slightly less the week after Easter than in Holy Week, but may still be busy.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your wife. Whatever you decide about accommodation, I hope your Camino provides the time you need to start healing.
I was puzzled by the email, sent in Spanish, and read and translated it again. It appears they're closed for repairs through mid-March - at least that's what the automated email response said. Regret any alarm caused.

I was puzzled by the email, sent in Spanish, and read and translated it again. It appears they're closed for repairs through mid-March - at least that's what the automated email response said. Regret any alarm caused.

No worries at all, Michael. That makes sense - doing the repairs during the quieter months ready for the Spring onslaught! Hopefully they will get everything finished on time.

One more thing: If I can ask anybody on this thread. I expect I will arrive in SJPP mid morning on 17 April 2020 after spending the night in Bayonne. My flight has a late arrival time. Would you advise heading off right away on Stage 1 to Roncesvalles or staying the day and overnight in SJPP and starting "up the hill" the next morning?

One more thing: If I can ask anybody on this thread. I expect I will arrive in SJPP mid morning on 17 April 2020 after spending the night in Bayonne. My flight has a late arrival time. Would you advise heading off right away on Stage 1 to Roncesvalles or staying the day and overnight in SJPP and starting "up the hill" the next morning?

If you're planning to walk all the way to Roncesvalles in one day, definitely wait until the next morning and start early and fresh. Saint Jean is a lovely little town, and if you have a place booked there you can drop your bags and spend a pleasant few hours exploring (weather permitting), or just rest up, have a nice lunch, buy any snacks or other supplies you need and look forward to starting the next day. Even though it means an extra night before you start, I think it would be worth it. [So says someone who has started from Roncesvalles three times, so this is second-hand wisdom! - but I have spent time in Saint Jean too and I'd be sorry to miss that]

Thanks, GT! Might be a case for "discretion taking the better part of valor." I expect I will be jet-lagged and out of sorts from the previous day's travel from Florida to CDG and crazy puddle jumper and ground trans to Bayonne. The hill can wait a day.

€46,-
… i am also dealing with the death of my parents who i took care of for the past 6 years, with my mom only passing last week from the final stages of alzheimer’s. i see the camino as a sort of passage into another phase of life, and the “coincidence” of accidentally starting on easter is so meaningful.

I’m so sorry to read about your loss. I hope you find everything you require on the Camino and I wish you peace. I look forward to meeting you on your journey.
Buen Camino.

this may be the wrong place to post this but i am not tech savvy and do t have time to figure it out...—- does anyone know if one train will wait for another if you are booked all the way thru to st jean but have to switch trains? i only have 13 mins to make it from one train to another to get on the train to st jean after my paris train arrives in bayonne... i wont sweat it and take a taxi or something if the second train is missed- but just wondering if anyone has done this - see schedule attached as photo

Attachments

• 5DF6104F-5A59-45E0-8DA2-B07246C729F1.png
    5DF6104F-5A59-45E0-8DA2-B07246C729F1.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 11
I don’t personally know. You might want to book a later train if this is a concern for you.

However, when I made a similar enquiry on this Forum, a pilgrim suggested I have the Express Bouricott Shuttle van meet me in Bayonne “and take a nice, relaxing, and pretty 40 minute drive to SJPdP.” Let them know your arrival time and they will meet you at the train station. It’s another option.

thanks- yeah i was just wondering how it goes. i am starting walking the next morning so wanted to do a buch of stuff that afternoon- i am sure it can all work out with alternative modes :)

Hi. I am starting from SJPdP on Good Friday and have booked the first night in Roncesvalles and will probably book the next couple as well. I will be flying Paris to Bordeaux for a few days and then the train to SJPdP via Bayonne. May run into you along the way. Buen Camino.

Sounds like we are on a similar path. Start from SJPdP on Holy Thursday after a couple of nights in Bordeaux and a couple in Paris. Buen Camino

I too am starting the Easter weekend. I am flying Toronto to Paris arriving April 8. I have booked the train from Paris thru to STPdP. As it is Easter I booked accommodation for 2 nights in Gita Makila in SJPdP. My plan is to start the camino on Sunday. I sent a booking request to Refuge Orrison on Jan 17 and just got confirmation this morning for the night of April 12. I have also booked Orreaga Roncesvalles Albergue for the night of April 13. I have been trying to book the albergue in Zibiri but have not had any luck with the dates. I keep getting NaNaNa so maybe it is too early to book.

This is my first camino. I am excited and a bit nervous. I need to buy a new pack and sleeping bag and have no idea what to get. There are so many suggestions on this site and varying opinions. At one point I too just thought about a silk liner as I hear there are lots of blankets but others said a sleeping bag is a must. I had a mummy bag when I hiked the INCA trail to Machu Picchu and found it way to constricting mainly because I am a side sleeper. Guess I will sort it out over the next few months.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail. Safe travels and buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is my first camino. I am excited and a bit nervous. I need to buy a new pack and sleeping bag and have no idea what to get. There are so many suggestions on this site and varying opinions. At one point I too just thought about a silk liner as I hear there are lots of blankets but others said a sleeping bag is a must. I had a mummy bag when I hiked the INCA trail to Machu Picchu and found it way to constricting mainly because I am a side sleeper. Guess I will sort it out over the next few months.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail. Safe travels and buen camino.

@sandraessex I sent you a PM, but just saw this message. If I can, allow me to chime in with some recommendations.

You want a light pack, but more importantly, you want something that will be comfortable. Head down to a local specialty sport shop that specializes in hiking. They generally have more knowledgable staff than big box stores and should be willing to spend the time with you that you required to find the right pack and feel confident about your choice. If you tell them what you are gearing up for (the Camino, 800k/500mi, 30+ days, over 1 million steps) there is a good chance they have already helped other pilgrims with equipment choices. You’ll be hiking ‘hut-to-hut’ style, in the hiking lingo. That will tell them you don’t need to transport a tent, sleeping mat, require a lighter sleeping bag, not much food to speak of, etc. Overally, smaller pack and lighter weight.

Ultralight packs and packing ultralight is in vogue right now. You can find web sites, blogs, youtube videos about the whole subject. However, IMHO, unless you plan on racing to Santiago, a few extra ounces of padding might be worth the sacrifice for comfort. However, weight is cannot and will not be ignored if you plan to carry it the whole way. So it’s a trade off. My preference is towards a pack that might not be the lightest, but will be comfortable for me. YMMV.

Many will tell you that all you need is a silk liner, however you need to consider the time of year. Night time temps in early April at elevation in northern Spain hover around 0deg C. If you plan on staying in albergues, it’s important to note that they are not always heated, some fellow pilgrims might want the window cracked open, but you might be a cold sleeper, etc… From my research I have noted that some albergues provide blankets, others not. The Orreaga Roncesvalles web site, for example, requests you bring a sleeping back. So I’m bringing a lightweight synthetic.

MEC in Canada is a good, reliable source for outdoor gear – and even have a light sleeping bag named Camino, though I don’t know if that’s more for marketing or not. Another good Canadian brand that I learned of from another pilgrim is Hotcore. I ordered their Cooper R-7 as it packs a bit smaller and lighter than the small MEC. On her recommendation, I’m also brining a liner I already own that I can add if I require additional insulation.

You may prefer down. Down sleeping backs pack smaller, they‘re lighter, and provide more warmth for the weight when compared to a synthetic sleeping bag (or jacket). The tradeoffs are that they cost more initially, and they require more care to maintain them. Another tradeoff, and this is why I’m bring a synthetic bag, ff they get wet, they provide almost no insulation and take a long time to dry. April brings with it spring showers.

Hope some of this helps.

Welcome to all those who are making your first camino. Be assured that it will all fall into place once you start walking. If you are starting in SJPDP I strongly suggest your first stop should be the Pilgrims Office (39 Rue de la Citadelle) and they will have local knowledge about the weather and be able to answer all your queries, point you to your accommodation, provide mud maps of the Napoleon route if the weather is suitable, and provide you with a Credentiale if you do not have one.

I thoroughly recommend spending the night in SJPDP - it is a beautiful little town, and a congregation point for new pilgrims. It is lovely to walk out early in the morning with the other pilgrims.

I too am starting the Easter weekend. I am flying Toronto to Paris arriving April 8. I have booked the train from Paris thru to STPdP. As it is Easter I booked accommodation for 2 nights in Gita Makila in SJPdP. My plan is to start the camino on Sunday. I sent a booking request to Refuge Orrison on Jan 17 and just got confirmation this morning for the night of April 12. I have also booked Orreaga Roncesvalles Albergue for the night of April 13. I have been trying to book the albergue in Zibiri but have not had any luck with the dates. I keep getting NaNaNa so maybe it is too early to book.

hi- i am also doing this for the first time and will be leaving a day ahead of you from st jean, the 11th. at this point unless there is a lot of strong advice to the contrary, i'm just going to bring a liner and plan to sleep in my clothes as needed. i am including a mid-weight wool base layer and have a good synthetic jacket with a hood that should do the trick. we'll see how it goes! i will be going slow so i suspect our paths will cross somewhere. i am not planning any places to stay after the easter night in Roncesvalles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@sandraessex I sent you a PM, but just saw this message. If I can, allow me to chime in with some recommendations.

You want a light pack, but more importantly, you want something that will be comfortable. Head down to a local specialty sport shop that specializes in hiking. They generally have more knowledgable staff than big box stores and should be willing to spend the time with you that you required to find the right pack and feel confident about your choice. If you tell them what you are gearing up for (the Camino, 800k/500mi, 30+ days, over 1 million steps) there is a good chance they have already helped other pilgrims with equipment choices. You’ll be hiking ‘hut-to-hut’ style, in the hiking lingo. That will tell them you don’t need to transport a tent, sleeping mat, require a lighter sleeping bag, not much food to speak of, etc. Overally, smaller pack and lighter weight.

Ultralight packs and packing ultralight is in vogue right now. You can find web sites, blogs, youtube videos about the whole subject. However, IMHO, unless you plan on racing to Santiago, a few extra ounces of padding might be worth the sacrifice for comfort. However, weight is cannot and will not be ignored if you plan to carry it the whole way. So it’s a trade off. My preference is towards a pack that might not be the lightest, but will be comfortable for me. YMMV.

Many will tell you that all you need is a silk liner, however you need to consider the time of year. Night time temps in early April at elevation in northern Spain hover around 0deg C. If you plan on staying in albergues, it’s important to note that they are not always heated, some fellow pilgrims might want the window cracked open, but you might be a cold sleeper, etc… From my research I have noted that some albergues provide blankets, others not. The Orreaga Roncesvalles web site, for example, requests you bring a sleeping back. So I’m bringing a lightweight synthetic.

MEC in Canada is a good, reliable source for outdoor gear – and even have a light sleeping bag named Camino, though I don’t know if that’s more for marketing or not. Another good Canadian brand that I learned of from another pilgrim is Hotcore. I ordered their Cooper R-7 as it packs a bit smaller and lighter than the small MEC. On her recommendation, I’m also brining a liner I already own that I can add if I require additional insulation.

You may prefer down. Down sleeping backs pack smaller, they‘re lighter, and provide more warmth for the weight when compared to a synthetic sleeping bag (or jacket). The tradeoffs are that they cost more initially, and they require more care to maintain them. Another tradeoff, and this is why I’m bring a synthetic bag, ff they get wet, they provide almost no insulation and take a long time to dry. April brings with it spring showers.

Hope some of this helps.
Thanks YMMV. Lots of great info. I find the more I read, the more confused I get. I will spend a day or more at MEC and hopefully find what I need. I am hoping to bring a light down bag but hate mummy bags. This will make it a bit more difficult. I will do my best to keep it dry. I had already decided to back a poncho large enough to go over my pack. I will keep the weight as low as possible. I will buy a good pack and will do lots more research before buying. I know I need to carry more weight on my hips than my shoulders.

I too am not going to rush this journey and plan to stop along the way for rest breaks and because I want to explore a few places in a little more detail than I would get just passing through.

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate any help I can get.

Hope some of this helps.
i have used all of the gear on my list in the field and the gossamer gear gorilla 40 is THE BEST across the boards- at least for me snd weight slso matters a lot to me because of some physical issues. anyway-thanks for your input!

to the folks i've been chatting with one way or the other re starting in April... wishing you a very buen camino! it turns out i've injured my knee so am postponing my trip till mid september -october. please don't forget to let us all know how you do on your journeys! buen camino friends :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi sweetheart Sky, if it’s not too personal maybe you could share some of your kneeprogress. I am kind of in a similar thingamaching with my knee and I just hate to fall apart. Well I know I’m no more 20 but since your plan for September maybe you let us know if it worked out for you.

Hi sweetheart Sky, if it’s not too personal maybe you could share some of your kneeprogress. I am kind of in a similar thingamaching with my knee and I just hate to fall apart. Well I know I’m no more 20 but since your plan for September maybe you let us know if it worked out for you.
hi there- of course! sorry to hear you have knee issues too. i have a torn medial meniscus, bakers cyst and moderate arthritis in the left knee. it has become very painful so am opting for arthroscopic surgery next week so it can definitely heal and then supposedly i can enjoy a summer of hiking/training prior to leaving for a september camino. i will be 62- not bad! i plan to walk every strp of the way from st jean as a spiritual pilgrimage.
anyone else go through something similar and care to share their story of how they did camino?

Hope it goes well for you !!! You can do with a bit of cheering up. I am facing surgery in March so the joint can move better meanwhile here what’s helping me against pain I have a little tens unit. Rolling out my fasciae and gentle stretches of lower leg muscles and upper ones. Reducing weight and increasing walks by 10 yards a day so in 100 years I should be by a mile a day.🤪
I was doing great and last night I fell again on it, just what my physician told me to avoid. So again cooling leg up slow mobilization and lots of fun... I am a bit cranky now😒.

Hope it goes well for you !!! You can do with a bit of cheering up. I am facing surgery in March so the joint can move better meanwhile here what’s helping me against pain I have a little tens unit. Rolling out my fasciae and gentle stretches of lower leg muscles and upper ones. Reducing weight and increasing walks by 10 yards a day so in 100 years I should be by a mile a day.🤪
I was doing great and last night I fell again on it, just what my physician told me to avoid. So again cooling leg up slow mobilization and lots of fun... I am a bit cranky now😒.
oh no! well at least we are learning the often used camino dictum : “one foot after the other!”

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.